• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Can someone explain to me the Black Orb Eye side quest before I trap myself in another Aramis situation?

I'd love to get that Firekeeper Soul.

bathala said:
Getting those diamond lizardS in the Catacombs was pain in the ass. Before u get to them they disappear

SOLUTION

They appear on certain spot. I got to the spot.
Quit
Reload save game.
Voila! There they are

If the other one disappears. Rinse repeat

yep, going to be trying this.

DeliciousDoc said:
Finally got the game yesterday after some debating (paid release prices:/ ). Restarted twice. First time I thought I missed something in the first area (not accessible) second time I was working towards a boss and lost 5 humanities, 2 humanities, and 1 humanity from careless mistakes so I started over (not really logical).

With my current char I died reclaiming again and wanted to get back what I lost... Ended up going to bed really late. Basically the later of in the night it gets, the more mistakes I make. I should know better.

Basically I stockpile humanity so I can kindle my current fire to max in one go because I don't want to get cheesed by lowbie hunters with lightning weapons and end game gear. However, I still die, losing my humanity before I do anything. Everytime. This game hurts my soul:p

quit running around in human form all the time. You blow through your humanity too quickly and unless you are going to farm it (which you can, btw, under the hell kite bridge) you will be out of it before long. The only time I am human is when I am going to fight a boss. I don't care too much about the multiplayer and I will play around with the PVP stuff after I am a bit stronger, and have more of a stockpile up. Right now I have over 30 humanity in my inventory because I've played this way.

bathala said:
Getting those diamond lizardS in the Catacombs was pain in the ass. Before u get to them they disappear

SOLUTION

They appear on certain spot. I got to the spot.
Quit
Reload save game.
Voila! There they are

If the other one disappears. Rinse repeat
The lizards in the Great Hollow are mine.

siqDJ.gif

orion434

I had previously asked on the old OT or somewhere on a Dark Souls thread about "Magic Ember" and "Enchanted Ember" I was under the impression that I had to find the Magic Ember ( The Duke's Archive ) to upgrade a +5 to Magic... but once you find the Enchanted Ember you can actually bring a +5 to Magic then bring a Magic +5 to Enchanted then bring that to +4 ( Need a Blue Titinite Slab for +5 ) and you can do this fairly early in the game because the Enchanted Ember is in the Darkroot Garden.

With the Crown of Dusk ( +20% Magic Damage ) which is found in the Darkroot Basin you can make a pretty good Battle-Mage early in the game. You can also farm the Blue Titinate Chunks from the Crystal Golems. I'm really loving my Enchanted Iaito +4

evala

Banned
I can only guess that it has already been asked, but at Level 38-40-42 where is the most usual place to be summoned. I really want to help others as others helped me through the tough parts. Currently i'm lvl 38 and have unlocked all the places from the Lord-vessel.

soldat7

Kinda surprised that Blight Town isn't too terrible aside from the framerate and the blow darts. Mosquitoes are a bit annoying, but if you go there with a lot of moss, it's not too bad.

I've put an embarrassing number of hours into this and I'm only half-way through the game. Yikes.

Jinfash said:
Can someone explain to me the Black Orb Eye side quest before I trap myself in another Aramis situation?

I'd love to get that Firekeeper Soul.

Not much too it, you just enter a small area and have to take out a boss. If you die, back to the bonfire to try again (or not).

It is a bit of a tricky fight as you can't heal. Good luck!

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
My god
Bed of Chaos
is ruining me.

Run, swipe, fall.
Run again, mid-jump smacked, fall.
Run yet again, land safely, firestorm up my ass.

I miss the Dragon God :(

soldat7 said:
Kinda surprised that Blight Town isn't too terrible aside from the framerate and the blow darts. Mosquitoes are a bit annoying, but if you go there with a lot of moss, it's not too bad.

I've put an embarrassing number of hours into this and I'm only half-way through the game. Yikes.

When you enter blighttown from valley of the drakes it's totally ok and even a matter of just 10 minutes.

johntown

Banned
evala said:
I can only guess that it has already been asked, but at Level 38-40-42 where is the most usual place to be summoned. I really want to help others as others helped me through the tough parts. Currently i'm lvl 38 and have unlocked all the places from the Lord-vessel.
I would say Anor Londo

So I made a new character, a warrior to be precise. I was planning on running through the game without the FDS and as sword/shield again to see how well I do. Things go swimmingly until I run up against the first Black Knight. I didn't have any problems fighting him, no. But he did drop his sword. I, completely devoid of any and all self control, immediately power level to see how rape this thing is. It is pretty rape. So much for my "legit" run.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The most amazing fellow undead left a message EXACTLY where I can shoot the Great Bowmen of Anor Londo with poison arrows while they can't shoot me. <3

toddhunter said:
Not much too it, you just enter a small area and have to take out a boss. If you die, back to the bonfire to try again (or not).

It is a bit of a tricky fight as you can't heal. Good luck!
Ah, no healing. Now I'm wondering whether the stone will disappear after one use or not.

Gattsu25

Banned
Mortrialus said:
So I made a new character, a warrior to be precise. I was planning on running through the game without the FDS and as sword/shield again to see how well I do. Things go swimmingly until I run up against the first Black Knight. I didn't have any problems fighting him, no. But he did drop his sword. I, completely devoid of any and all self control, immediately power level to see how rape this thing is. It is pretty rape. So much for my "legit" run.
What does FDS stand for?

evala said:

I'm sure you could help on Quelaag if you wanted. I just beat him last night at SL38 and I had NO problem summoning people for that fight. Probably could still do Gaping Dragon as well.

Speevy

Banned
I tried to hit those archers but the arrows kept flying short. Maybe it's my dex score, not sure.

Anyway, I just rolled up to one of them and axed them.

I don't necessarily agree with creating a gameplay scenario that is counter-intuitive to all play styles, but I do like the layout of Anor Londo.

Speevy said:
I tried to hit those archers but the arrows kept flying short. Maybe it's my dex score, not sure.

Use the Blackbow of Pharis with a high dex or feather arrows on a longbow. But you also can run up close to the archer on the right, ~60% of the time the archer on the left can't hit you.

Muchi Muchi Pink said:
When you enter blighttown from valley of the drakes it's totally ok and even a matter of just 10 minutes.

I didn't even have framerate problems in Blighttown. There might have been a couple times when it dipped down to 20 FPS or so but I've experienced far worse issues (like 2-3 FPS) in other locations:

1. In the Depths on the level where the Butchers are, 2-3 FPS. Only happened my first time there though.
2. When leaving the bonfire behind Hellkite, as I roll over the ledge down to the rats, 2-3 FPS on the way down then it corrects.

Also, I got a new PS3, went to a 320G Slim from a 80G Fat that supposedly has a faster hard drive... don't know if that had any impact on my experience in Blighttown, but it wasn't bad at all IMO.

johntown

Banned
rayner said:
I had previously asked on the old OT or somewhere on a Dark Souls thread about "Magic Ember" and "Enchanted Ember" I was under the impression that I had to find the Magic Ember ( The Duke's Archive ) to upgrade a +5 to Magic... but once you find the Enchanted Ember you can actually bring a +5 to Magic then bring a Magic +5 to Enchanted then bring that to +4 ( Need a Blue Titinite Slab for +5 ) and you can do this fairly early in the game because the Enchanted Ember is in the Darkroot Garden.

With the Crown of Dusk ( +20% Magic Damage ) which is found in the Darkroot Basin you can make a pretty good Battle-Mage early in the game. You can also farm the Blue Titinate Chunks from the Crystal Golems. I'm really loving my Enchanted Iaito +4
The only problem with this is the Dusk Crown also lowers magic defense and the Enchanted path lowers the base weapon damage but it scales better with INT.

I am taking a katana down the Magic 10+ path and since the Iaito is a fairly powerful sword I would take that to Magic+10 over Enchanted +5 but that is just me.

Also, saw a hilarious note last night :D

Behind Hellkite, to the right of the bonfire where the broken statue is and several non-aggro ghouls are standing around, somebody put a message directly behind the ghoul leaning up against the house on the left that said "tight spot ahead". lmao :D I bust out laughing and my wife was like what? what? When I explained it to her she just called me a nerd and went back to her game of bejewelled :/

DigitalDevil said:
Also, I got a new PS3, went to a 320G Slim from a 80G Fat that supposedly has a faster hard drive... don't know if that had any impact on my experience in Blighttown, but it wasn't bad at all IMO.

Nah, it's the pathfinding of the ai on complex levels. Also shader-stuff. I didn't had many framedrops, too. But it's obviously bad, same as new londo ruins.

evala said:

I think
Quelaag, the Iron Golem or Ornstein and Smough are your best bets. I think a lot of people need help with Ornstein and Smough, especially. I know I did.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Just killed Shiva and his ninja friend. Love the acrobatic ring but not sure if it's really practical..don't use backstep much either.

x3r0123

Chinpoko_Master said:
It's funny that you say that because the only people I've encountered that were wearing the RoF were Japanese. I don't think it matters where you're from.

So far I've only ran into like, one person who didn't cheese his way to victory when he invaded. The PVP in this game is kind of fucked.

while its true that some japanese people also do that. Majority of the japanese that i have encountered didn't use the RoF. That's why i said from experience

Jinfash said:
Ah, no healing. Now I'm wondering whether the stone will disappear after one use or not.

A strategy tip,
his weapon renders shields useless, so, if you are a melee character, you might as well 2 hand your weapon.

Risible said:
Just finished the game.

It could not be more obvious that they ran out of time to finish the game.

From Lost Izalith onwards was a joke. It seems like they had the architecture built for the most part and then ran out of time to build the enemy encounters. Lord Gwyn was just awful - nothing epic like the final battle of Demon's Souls. No cutscene when you meet him where he talks to you about his intentions, goals, ambitions?

Any once you kill him you...nothing? I touched the bonfire, get a 10 second cutscene and then boom, game over. I literally said "What the fuck??"

It's a damn shame - game is a masterpiece right up until Lost Izalith.
All in all I think Demon's Souls is the better game, sad to say :(.

Lord Gwyn is nutso/hollow because he is losing the fire to the Dark of Man. He is imprisoned on Kiln of the First Flame. Take a look at his face in-game vs in the cutscenes, he looks Hollow. There is an NPC that explains the whole thing, but it's not Lord Gwyn, it's Darkstalker Kaath in New Londo right after 4 Kings, but he is hard to meet. IF you meet him, he explains the truth, and how you are being manipulated by Dark Sun Gwyn and Kingseeker Frampt. If you met him and talked to him and understand the truth, you know that linking the fire is the WRONG choice, if you do that you lost. You have to walk away from the fire, and do nothing. That ends the Age of Fire, and you become the new Dark Lord and the Age of Man begins.

anddo0

The drop rate for some items in this game is ridiculous. I've been running around for the last hour with 30 humanity and the ring trying to farm souvenir of reprisal.. In an hour of farming NOTHING! I think I'm done with the farming aspect of this game. It's killing the game for me.

Sarcasm

Finally got the game in the mail from Play asia...

Even for being in Taiwan not bad.

Though the spanish on case worried me.

Jonsoncao

Banned
worldrevolution said:
Just killed Shiva and his ninja friend. Love the acrobatic ring but not sure if it's really practical..don't use backstep much either.
Most useful feature of this ring is <50% max burden = max rolling speed.

johntown

Banned
anddo0 said:
The drop rate for some items in this game is ridiculous. I've been running around for the last hour with 30 humanity and the ring trying to farm souvenir of reprisal.. In an hour of farming NOTHING! I think I'm done with the farming aspect of this game. It's killing the game for me.
Have you beat the end boss of the area you are trying to farm? I hear that can affect drop rates as well.

WheelHoss1 said:
Some observations after beating the game:

1. Played as a hybrid mage/bowman in Demon's Souls. Wanted to be a tank this time. So glad I went that way. Later bosses were so easy with 40+ stamina and Stone Armor/Great Artorias Shield. Just absorb they're hits and whack them with my +8 Divine Claymore or Great Chaos Fireball. Wouldn't have wanted to have fought through later levels as a mage. Also, never lost an invasion this time. Guys would backstab me and do only 1/4 damage. Anyone on the fence about what to create, the easiest way to go is STR/END/VIT build. Ended up with over 1400 hit points, too, with the 20% boost ring on.

2. Wish there were more invasions and coop opportunities. Running through Anor Lando with friends kicked ass, but this was pretty much it for my coop experience.

3. Shortcuts were so cool. Using the Master Key ruined a couple of them, though (Blighttown).

4. Anor Lando is my new favorite level ever.

5. The levels people hated weren't bad, just hard or dark or disturbing. I'll never forget Blighttown or Lost Izalith, though I never want to play them again.

GOTY

I think Blighttown is a great level, and FPS issues aside - is a very well designed level with a great level of thought going into the details of it. From the enemy placement to the items that you can use to counter most of the 'problems' people have.

Lost Izalith though, was just a chore to get through.

orion434

johntown said:
The only problem with this is the Dusk Crown also lowers magic defense and the Enchanted path lowers the base weapon damage but it scales better with INT.

I am taking a katana down the Magic 10+ path and since the Iaito is a fairly powerful sword I would take that to Magic+10 over Enchanted +5 but that is just me.

The difference between a Magic +10 and Enchanted +5 is 7 Physical & 18 Magic Damage, but the Enchanted scales INT with a B instead of a C of the Magic weapon. In the end they will probably be pretty even damage wise.

The Dusk Crown is just incredible... I hardly ever get hit with magic, and it is more than 20% I don't know what the base stat it's dependant on, but I was farming the Crystal Golems in the Dark Root Basin and I was doing 144 Damage without the Crown with a Great Heavy Soul Arrow then I put on the Crown and I was doing 221 damage with the same spell. That's more like a 50% increase, and the crown works with Pyromancy too. With the Crown + Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring + Pyromancy Flame @ MAX, the Great Choas Fireball can 1-shot 2 Crow Demons with 1029 damage each. Nice place to farm Souvenir of Reprisal.

anddo0

johntown said:
Have you beat the end boss of the area you are trying to farm? I hear that can affect drop rates as well.

Yeah she is dead.. It would help if the online functionality of this game were better. Instead I have to farm for reprisals the old fashion way.

Chinpoko_Master said:
Did anyone else hate the Tomb of Giants? Not being able to see a few feet in front of you is intense, but as a melee character without access to the light spell or that special helmet, having to switch between using the lantern and my shield during combat is pretty clunky and led to a lot of unnecessary deaths.

No, I really enjoyed Tomb of Giants. However I had advance warning from reading this thread, so I had the Sunlight Maggot helm for my first attempt there.

I think the big problem with Tomb is they didn't handle the lantern well. It is a good mechanic, but in a game like this where you die so easy, it was the wrong method to have to replace your shield. You should replace your weapon so you can have lantern + shield and I think a LOT more people would have enjoyed Tombs. As it is, if you don't have either the helm or the light spell, you are going to get hurt.

Honestly, everyone should just get Sunlight Maggot first. You have to do that area anyways and there is no benefit to doing Tomb first (unless you want the extra miracles I suppose) where clearly Sunlight Maggot is a huge help in the Tombs. In fact, I can think of no other place in the game where you would even WANT to use Sunlight Maggot, so it seems like it exists just for use in Tomb of the Giants... but there is no way to KNOW that on your first game.

Sarcasm

Hey I just remembered I got this while back:

Congratulations, great knight! You have proven yourself worthy by arranging the glyphs in the correct order.

For your perseverance, you are awarded this Key that will unlock a well-earned advantage during your journey toward reclaiming your soul. [Bunch Of Numbers]

Keep this Key safe, as it may only be used once.

Take heed to not become overconfident, for even the mightiest warrior can be brought to his knees.
Onward to battle!

Dark Souls

What is it exactly and where do I input it?

Soulhouf

Felix Lighter said:
A strategy tip,
his weapon renders shields useless, so, if you are a melee character, you might as well 2 hand your weapon.
Only one of his 2 weapons ignore shields I believe. I succeeded to block many of his attacks.

Oracle Dragon said:
Lord Gwyn is nutso/hollow because he is losing the fire to the Dark of Man. He is imprisoned on Kiln of the First Flame. Take a look at his face in-game vs in the cutscenes, he looks Hollow. There is an NPC that explains the whole thing, but it's not Lord Gwyn, it's Darkstalker Kaath in New Londo right after 4 Kings, but he is hard to meet. IF you meet him, he explains the truth, and how you are being manipulated by Dark Sun Gwyn and Kingseeker Frampt. If you met him and talked to him and understand the truth, you know that linking the fire is the WRONG choice, if you do that you lost. You have to walk away from the fire, and do nothing. That ends the Age of Fire, and you become the new Dark Lord and the Age of Man begins.
This makes me kind of sad knowing that I got the "wrong" ending. :(

Oracle Dragon said:

It's Dark Sun Gwyndolin, not Gwyn. They are two entirely different people. Gwyndolin is the last born son of Gwyn.

@Risible

Ages ago, the fire began to die and the four lords made multiple attempts to prolong the Age of Fire. The Witch of Izalith tried to use magic to recreate the first flame. This was initially successful, however, she eventually lost control of the chaotic magics, becoming The Bed of Chaos and infecting her daughters, Quelaag and the Fair Maiden. Only Quelana escaped uncorrupted.

As the fires began to die, Gwyn set out with half of his knights (Specifically the Black Knights. The Silver Knights were charged with guarding Anor Londo) to rekindle the first flame. Gwyn made it to Kiln, but as he tried to link the fire, unwittingly sacrificing himself to burn within the fire until the cycle repeats itself. His Black Knights were burned to ash in this event, eventually haunting Lordran as animated armor.

Eventually the flames began to die again. Gwyn's last born son, Dark Sun Gwyndolin, had planned to use an unwitting undead to rekindle the first flame, forcing the undead to suffer Gwyns fate while restoring both his and all of the other lord souls, where he would rule by proxy through an illusory sister persona he created, Gwynevere.

This is where you come in. Retrieving the Lordvessle, gathering the souls of Nito, Izalith, Seath and the Four Kings was merely an attempt by Gwyndolin to remove all competition in the way of his rule. By linking the fire, you fell into his trap and your character now suffers Gwyn's fate.

Did the game ever explain where the Darksign came from?

The_Darkest_Red said:
This makes me kind of sad knowing that I got the "wrong" ending. :(

Well there is an achievement for each and you need both, that's what NG+ is for ;) Game is WAY easier the 2nd time around even with the harder enemies, because you have all your items and you know all the traps. The levels are actually quite small, it is the fact you go so slowly through them the first time that makes them seem big. I mean, look at the speed run, yeah she skips a couple of areas but does the whole game start to finish in 1.5 hours, and that was from level 1! So the knowledge you gain of each area and enemy is by far the biggest factor in it's difficulty.

Sec0nd

DuendeSmoker said:
My god
Bed of Chaos
is ruining me.

Run, swipe, fall.
Run again, mid-jump smacked, fall.
Run yet again, land safely, firestorm up my ass.

I miss the Dragon God :(

Oh man I had the same. Got within 2 feet of the larve or whatever it is you have to hit and I got killed by the firestorm attack. Took my about 10-15 tries before I finally killed this boss...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, any easyish routes to a formidable Divine Weapon for the Tomb of Giants? I'm a strength based character.

Speevy

Banned
Pinwheel
might be the second easiest boss in the game, but I think the
Iron Golem
is the easiest.

I also think
Quelaag
is a pushover.

Of course, I died multiple time to
Stray Demon
so what do I know?

Oracle Dragon said:
Well there is an achievement for each and you need both, that's what NG+ is for ;) Game is WAY easier the 2nd time around even with the harder enemies, because you have all your items and you know all the traps. The levels are actually quite small, it is the fact you go so slowly through them the first time that makes them seem big. I mean, look at the speed run, yeah she skips a couple of areas but does the whole game start to finish in 1.5 hours, and that was from level 1! So the knowledge you gain of each area and enemy is by far the biggest factor in it's difficulty.
It's true, I started my NG+ run and I've already rung the first bell in less than an hour. It took me 10+ hours to do that the first time. It's a blast playing through the game with all of your great equipment from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom