• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mortrialus said:
It's Dark Sun Gwyndolin, not Gwyn. They are two entirely different people. Gwyndolin is the last born son of Gwyn.

I know, I know ;) I just can never get Gwyndolin/Gwynevere right, so I just cut it do "Dark Sun Gwyn" assuming/hoping people will know who it is.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Stray Demon kicked my ass repeatedly, whereas the Fire Sage was a first time kill. Go figure.

Oracle Dragon said:
I know, I know ;) I just can never get Gwyndolin/Gwynevere right, so I just cut it do "Dark Sun Gwyn" assuming/hoping people will know who it is.
Is there a nice reference somewhere that covers all of the lore and story in the game? I have the guide but I haven't checked how useful it is in that regard yet.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Is there a nice reference somewhere that covers all of the lore and story in the game? I have the guide but I haven't checked how useful it is in that regard yet.

The guide doesn't say much about the lore and as far as I know, there isn't an official compendium. Everything I know has been what I've been able to gather from NPC dialog, item flavor text, induction and deduction.

The_Darkest_Red said:
It's true, I started my NG+ run and I've already rung the first bell in less than an hour. It took me 10+ hours to do that the first time. It's a blast playing through the game with all of your great equipment from the start.
Can't wait for this..... Really excited about ng+ already.

Mortrialus said:
The guide doesn't say much about the lore and as far as I know, there isn't an official compendium. Everything I know has been what I've been able to gather from NPC dialog, item flavor text, induction and deduction.
I didn't mess around with some of the more hidden covenants so I probably missed out on some good stuff.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I didn't mess around with some of the more hidden covenants so I probably missed out on some good stuff.

Chaos Servants and the Darkwraiths are the only worthwhile covenants, both from a lore perspective and a gameplay perspective. The Chaos Servants tells you everything you need to know about the Witch of Izalith and her Daughters of Chaos, while the Darkwraith reveals the major strokes of the plot.

Mortrialus said:
Chaos Servants and the Darkwraiths are the only worthwhile covenants, both from a lore perspective and a gameplay perspective. The Chaos Servants tells you everything you need to know about the Witch of Izalith and her Daughters of Chaos, while the Darkwraith reveals the major strokes of the plot.

As soon as I went from "Way of White" to Darkwraith I started getting invaded a lot.

Rez said:
Hey guys, any easyish routes to a formidable Divine Weapon for the Tomb of Giants? I'm a strength based character.

You don't really "need" one for Tomb (
Only for the skeleton adds on the last boss to make it a bit easier
). However for Divine there are only three options:

1) Make your own using the first smith you encounter. This is the best option IMO.
2)
Get Astoras Blade from the Zombie Dragon in Valley of Drakes. You don't need to kill him, you can suicide run if you want, it's right in front of him. Cons: It needs at least 14 faith to use, isn't a super-hot weapon, and you need to have Master Key or have Valley of Drakes unlocked to get it.
3)
If you rescue the priestess in Tomb of Giants from the pit and/or kill Patches you will get a Crescent Axe +1 which is also a Divine Weapon. Cons: It's a battle axe which you may not like. Unlike a crafted Divine Weapon, this needs Twinkling ore to upgrade making it much more costly vs a crafted Divine.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oracle Dragon said:
You don't really "need" one for Tomb (
Only for the skeleton adds on the last boss to make it a bit easier
). However for Divine there are only three options:

1) Make your own using the first smith you encounter. This is the best option IMO.
2)
Get Astoras Blade from the Zombie Dragon in Valley of Drakes. You don't need to kill him, you can suicide run if you want, it's right in front of him. Cons: It needs at least 14 faith to use, isn't a super-hot weapon, and you need to have Master Key or have Valley of Drakes unlocked to get it.
3)
If you rescue the priestess in Tomb of Giants from the pit and/or kill Patches you will get a Crescent Axe +1 which is also a Divine Weapon. Cons: It's a battle axe which you may not like. Unlike a crafted Divine Weapon, this needs Twinkling ore to upgrade making it much more costly vs a crafted Divine.
Thanks!
Is the boss
manageable without the weapons, or will I just be pulling my hair out?

Rez said:
Thanks!
Is the boss

Pinwheel is loleasy.

Nito shouldn't be too bad provided you've pulled and killed the Giant Skeletons before fighting him.

I just discovered that Motoi Sakuraba did the soundtrack for this. WTH!? The music sounds nothing like his usual stuff (which is a good thing. It would have been a poor fit for the series).

Does anyone know why FROM decided to change composers though?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mortrialus said:
Pinwheel is loleasy.

Nito shouldn't be too bad provided you've pulled and killed the Giant Skeletons before fighting him.
Yeah, I've previously been to and completed the Catacombs. It was all "lol easy" at my level.

Rez said:
Thanks!
Is the boss

I can't tell you for sure, sorry; first time I did it was with Divine weapons so I don't know what it is like without. I didn't find him all that easy with his adds gone, so I'm sure it's worse with them there ;)

Are there any restrictions for the Blue Eye Orb? I can't seem to invade anybody and this is very upsetting. I should have joined Darkwraith!

DigitalDevil said:
Where do you join Darkwraith? I've only been invaded once so far, and he was easy.

There are two ways you can go about this. I call them the bro way, and the dick way. The dick way is quicker, but unnecessarily dickish, hence the name.

You'll need to have killed Great Grey Wolf Sif for both of these methods.

The dick way involves going into New Londo Ruins. You'll meet an NPC named Ingward. He's a nice guy, cures curses. Kill him to obtain the key to drain the water from the city. Once this is done, continue through the level until you hit the boss fog gate. There is a short cut to get to the boss gate without dealing with any of the Darkwraith enemies. Once you enter the gate, equip the Covenant of Astorias ring you received from Sif and drop down to face the boss. Upon killing the Four Kings boss, an NPC named Darkstalker Kaath will appear. If you talk to him, and agree to help him out, you'll be able to join his covenant.

The non dick way involves going to Anor Londo and picking up the Lordvessle first. If you have the Lordvessle, Ingward will give you the key, meaning you won't have to kill him. Ingward then shows up in Firelink Shrine, always ready to cure curses for you.

The_Darkest_Red said:
On one hand I wish they would do a book series, on the other hand I'm glad they're not because the way the story is told adds much to the atmosphere.

Oracle Dragon said:
I can't tell you for sure, sorry; first time I did it was with Divine weapons so I don't know what it is like without. I didn't find him all that easy with his adds gone, so I'm sure it's worse with them there ;)
I got to him and tried the fight once or twice before running away like a pansy and crafting a Divine Scimitar +10. Things went much better after that. :)

Quote said:
In one way I wish they would do a book series, in another way I'm glad they don't because the way the story is told adds much to the atmosphere.
Yeah, I'm also a big fan of the atmospheric storytelling approach. It's funny because I had a big argument with one of my friends about this recently. He's a huge fan of RPG's but he hates Dark Souls because there isn't enough storytelling for him. Apparently the atmosphere isn't enough to make it up to him because he feels no motivation to carry on with the game. He only made it to the Taurus Demon though.

Finally! After getting nearly 200,000 souls from killing Silver Knights, I have the Sliver Knight Straight Sword, so I'm done with them. That was with 30 humanity and the snake ring... I have a whole pile of Silver Knight Shields ;)

To bad Black Knights continue to screw me... not a single Black Knight drop from the previous game, and now the first 4 in NG+ continue to give me nothing but ore as well. I KNEW I shoulda farmed the ones in the last area before going to NG+!

Oracle Dragon said:
Finally! After getting nearly 200,000 souls from killing Silver Knights, I have the Sliver Knight Straight Sword, so I'm done with them. That was with 30 humanity and the snake ring... I have a whole pile of Silver Knight Shields ;)

To bad Black Knights continue to screw me... not a single Black Knight drop from the previous game, and now the first 4 in NG+ continue to give me nothing but ore as well. I KNEW I shoulda farmed the ones in the last area before going to NG+!

Yeah. I guess you'll have to next time. When you can grind them endlessly, they drop their stuff pretty quickly.

Oracle Dragon said:
Wow, that's insane! I rarely run around with more than 00 humanity and I got at least three Black Knight Swords, a Black Knight Greatsword, two Black Knight Halberds, and about 10 Black Knight Shields in one playthrough...

The Black Knight Halberd may be my favorite weapon in the game.

DeliciousDoc said:
Finally got the game yesterday after some debating (paid release prices:/ ). Restarted twice. First time I thought I missed something in the first area (not accessible) second time I was working towards a boss and lost 5 humanities, 2 humanities, and 1 humanity from careless mistakes so I started over (not really logical).

With my current char I died reclaiming again and wanted to get back what I lost... Ended up going to bed really late. Basically the later of in the night it gets, the more mistakes I make. I should know better.

Basically I stockpile humanity so I can kindle my current fire to max in one go because I don't want to get cheesed by lowbie hunters with lightning weapons and end game gear. However, I still die, losing my humanity before I do anything. Everytime. This game hurts my soul:p

I feel your pain. I've played the whole game in hollow form, I don't have any humanity at all...40 hours play time.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Wow, that's insane! I rarely run around with more than 00 humanity and I got at least three Black Knight Swords, a Black Knight Greatsword, two Black Knight Halberds, and about 10 Black Knight Shields in one playthrough...

The Black Knight Halberd may be my favorite weapon in the game.

The Black Knight Sword and Axe are awesome. There is literally nothing like smacking an enemy 10 feet away from you with a single strong attack.

Mortrialus said:
The Black Knight Sword and Axe are awesome. There is literally nothing like smacking an enemy 10 feet away from you with a single strong attack.
Have you tried the Halberd? The range on it is great and you get this ultra satisfying "thud" every time you strike something with it. It's so fun toying with enemies using that weapon thanks to the range. Also, the two-handed strong attack is the coolest animation in the game.

DigitalDevil said:
I'm sure you could help on Quelaag if you wanted. I just beat him last night at SL38 and I had NO problem summoning people for that fight. Probably could still do Gaping Dragon as well.

That's what I did, yesterday with my lvl42 pyromancer. Lightning spear, dark knight shield, those witch robes and flash sweating ftw.

Was summoned about 5-6 times, but only managed to kill her twice because the summoner ran directly into the lava or her aoe attack right after the start. :/

still fun though and my first attempt at co-op at all

If you want to go for soul farming or humanity farming, you might want to go after the leeches on the other side of the swamp, though. Grab the item discovery boost ring, collect all titanite, break it down and sell for souls. For humanity, take on basilisks in the depths together with the rat and use the clothes from the firelink fire keeper.

WHAT IN THE FUCK.
A giant skeleton just killed
Patches
for me. ;_; It was a nice surprise to see him again and then BAM. Giant Skeleton killed us both, the save flame came up instantly. :(

DigitalDevil said:
Can't wait for this..... Really excited about ng+ already.

Me too, I'm just really curious to see just how the difficulty of enemies increases. I've also got a lot of weapon building to do this time around. In desperation I used up some of the earlier boss souls. A big "no-no" so to speak, but then again there's always NG+!

Mihos

Gold Member
Mortrialus said:
Pinwheel is loleasy.

You don't have to kill them, just stay at the enterance and they never engage. Beat Nito first try that way.

K' Dash

I still have to go to the catacombs/TotG, new londo, lost izalith, and the archives... I don't know if I have it in me to do this, been stuck helping people through anor londo cause I don't wat to go to those places and be annoyed by bad design :/

Ken

K' Dash said:
I still have to go to the catacombs/TotG, new londo, lost izalith, and the archives... I don't know if I have it in me to do this...
Catacombs is kind of easy and short, and you also get the Rite of Kindling from the boss there. You could do that first.

K' Dash

Ken said:
Catacombs is kind of easy and short, and you also get the Rite of Kindling from the boss there. You could do that first.

I want to roll with a divine weapon when I do that, I should get upgrade my great axe to divine...

johntown

Banned
K' Dash said:
I still have to go to the catacombs/TotG, new londo, lost izalith, and the archives... I don't know if I have it in me to do this, been stuck helping people through anor londo cause I don't wat to go to those places and be annoyed by bad design :/
(writes orange soapstone message for K'Dash) Bravery!

Mortrialus said:
There are two ways you can go about this. I call them the bro way, and the dick way. The dick way is quicker, but unnecessarily dickish, hence the name.

You'll need to have killed Great Grey Wolf Sif for both of these methods.

The dick way involves going into New Londo Ruins. You'll meet an NPC named Ingward. He's a nice guy, cures curses. Kill him to obtain the key to drain the water from the city. Once this is done, continue through the level until you hit the boss fog gate. There is a short cut to get to the boss gate without dealing with any of the Darkwraith enemies. Once you enter the gate, equip the Covenant of Astorias ring you received from Sif and drop down to face the boss. Upon killing the Four Kings boss, an NPC named Darkstalker Kaath will appear. If you talk to him, and agree to help him out, you'll be able to join his covenant.

The non dick way involves going to Anor Londo and picking up the Lordvessle first. If you have the Lordvessle, Ingward will give you the key, meaning you won't have to kill him. Ingward then shows up in Firelink Shrine, always ready to cure curses for you.
You rule. Thanks!

God being at work sucks. All I want to do is go home!

Mihos

Gold Member
K' Dash said:

I kinda liked the Archives myself.

Ken

K' Dash said:
I want to roll with a divine weapon when I do that, I should get upgrade my great axe to divine...
Eh, there was only one time where I couldn't find the necromancer so I had to use my divine Washing Pole that I couldn't wield effectively to put down two skeletons that wouldn't stay down. They also swarm you pretty fast so you might want a fast weapon.

K' Dash

Mortrialus said:
Whose weapon and armor do you think is coolest?

uuuhh , I have Smough's armor, where can I get his weapon?

Edit: thanks for the replies guys, I'm gonna finish this by this weekend, you'll see >:D

Barrett2

Starting to feel burned-out on the game. After taking my sweet time with everything, enjoying a slow pace to the game, I need to get it over with. After Anor Londo, what should I do to get to the end-game the fastest?

Currently in the Archives basement?

johntown

Banned
Ken said:
Eh, there was only one time where I couldn't find the necromancer so I had to use my divine Washing Pole that I couldn't wield effectively to put down two skeletons that wouldn't stay down. They also swarm you pretty fast so you might want a fast weapon.
They are also quite found of parrying which if they are able to do they will get a hit on your with lots of damage.

kingschiebi said:
That's what I did, yesterday with my lvl42 pyromancer. Lightning spear, dark knight shield, those witch robes and flash sweating ftw.

Was summoned about 5-6 times, but only managed to kill her twice because the summoner ran directly into the lava or her aoe attack right after the start. :/

still fun though and my first attempt at co-op at all

If you want to go for soul farming or humanity farming, you might want to go after the leeches on the other side of the swamp, though. Grab the item discovery boost ring, collect all titanite, break it down and sell for souls. For humanity, take on basilisks in the depths together with the rat and use the clothes from the firelink fire keeper.
I've got to find this item discovery ring.... Where is it at?

Is there a good shortcut out of Blighttown anywhere before a boss (other than the entrance from the Depths)? I want to advance a bit (I'm at
the first bonfire
) before I trek out do do some weapon upgrading and I completely forget how to get out of there.

Or, am I fine to just keep using the Drake Sword down here until I make it to the next area (and presumably can then venture out to upgrade another weapon)?

I'm just sick of using the Drake Sword since I intended to build a quick agility/endurance-based character but haven't had a good enough weapon to really use that build correctly. I just got the Iato (sp?) and want to go back to the blacksmith in Undead Burg to upgrade to +5 so I can start using it.

So my options are:

1) Keep pushing through Blighttown with the Drake Sword, keep an eye out for the next possible shortcut back to a blacksmith (or a new blacksmith)? Or

2) Double back (if I can remember how the heck to get back up to the Depths - I dropped down to the bonfire and couldn't find a way back up) to go upgrade the Iato before pushing on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom