• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc farks

So I met this guy in the depths.

Should I buy the crystal shield?

It's all I can afford, and I heard it comes in handy later in the game.

ETA - Even though this can't be repaired correct?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So after all the moaning, it turns out Tomb of the Giants wasn't so bad after all, with the lantern. It still kind of sucked, but it was no Lost Izalith.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Manmademan said:
it will activate when you hit a specific location. you can't miss it.
A strange message flashed before I entered the boss fight or Anor Londo. I was focusing on the Iron Giants there so I didn't pay much attention to it (at first I thought I was being invaded) but now that I think about it I think it mentioned something about a stone. Is that the location you're referring to?

Not sure if this is breaking news or not, as I can't keep up with the speed this thread moves. But I found what, I think, is holiday specific loot.

You know where you enter the Valley of the Drakes from New Londo and before you cross the bridge that leads to Blight Town (or take a left and go to further down in new londo...). Well if you dont cross the bridge and just go down that side against the wall there is a corpse with loot.

I know for a fact that I looted this guy weeks ago. But Im just wandering around right now and ended up there and he was glowing again. I went over and looted him and got a Witch's outfit. Pieces from head to toe and a new catalyst.

My character is female, i dont know if this matters.

And here's a pic. I wonder if I can spoiler tag pics...

Ok i cant... instead of just posting the image, here's a link to it.

http://p.twimg.com/Acj-s0DCQAAtK2x.jpg

Neat :) And like I said before, i doubt im the one breaking this info. But I figured id share in case others hadnt seen it.

Zzoram

ixix said:
Its base power is lower but its scaling is higher. It becomes the best catalyst somewhere around 50 Int.

At 44 INT it's still quite a bit weaker. Hmm.

So do those mages in Dukes ever drop their weapon or what? I've killed a ton and they never drop anything. Supposedly their weapon is required for the rare weapon trophy but this is driving me nuts. They're kinda difficult to farm too, not a lot of them near bonfires, and it requires moving around a lot of stair cases to get to one.

So, to farm souvenirs, how much humanity will do to get them easier?

Ive killed like 50 of those crow men, and never dropped anything... currently equipped with the serpent ring and only 1 humanity... dont want to use humanity and lose it for some stupid error, like I always do :(

x3r0123

sotodefonk said:
So, to farm souvenirs, how much humanity will do to get them easier?

Ive killed like 50 of those crow men, and never dropped anything... currently equipped with the serpent ring and only 1 humanity... dont want to use humanity and lose it for some stupid error, like I always do :(

its a very rare drop

TheHakku

Jinfash said:
A strange message flashed before I entered the boss fight or Anor Londo. I was focusing on the Iron Giants there so I didn't pay much attention to it (at first I thought I was being invaded) but now that I think about it I think it mentioned something about a stone. Is that the location you're referring to?
Yes. The message doesn't pop up more than once, but you can still activate the stone in that location.

Anyone? I can eliminate Ornstein without to much of an issue but I die pretty much the first time Smough uses that AoE attack.

Can I block it?

tc farks said:
So I met this guy in the depths.

Should I buy the crystal shield?

It's all I can afford, and I heard it comes in handy later in the game.

ETA - Even though this can't be repaired correct?

NO. you want the crystal RING shield, which CAN be repaired and is an awesome offensive weapon. the Crystal shield is garbage. don't buy that!

Anyone? I can eliminate Ornstein without to much of an issue but I died pretty much the first time Smough uses that AoE attack.

Can I block it?

just back up or roll out of the way when you see it coming. I've never been tagged by it.

tc farks

Manmademan said:
NO. you want the crystal RING shield, which CAN be repaired and is an awesome offensive weapon. the Crystal shield is garbage. don't buy that!

Thank you VERY much sir. I couldn't wait much longer haha.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Zzoram said:
At 44 INT it's still quite a bit weaker. Hmm.

So do those mages in Dukes ever drop their weapon or what? I've killed a ton and they never drop anything. Supposedly their weapon is required for the rare weapon trophy but this is driving me nuts. They're kinda difficult to farm too, not a lot of them near bonfires, and it requires moving around a lot of stair cases to get to one.

At 50 Int the basic catalyst has 226 MagAdjust, while Logan's has 234. I figure the disparity will become fairly significant if I continue pumping my Intelligence.

famousmortimer said:
Not sure if this is breaking news or not, as I can't keep up with the speed this thread moves. But I found what, I think, is holiday specific loot.

You know where you enter the Valley of the Drakes from New Londo and before you cross the bridge that leads to Blight Town (or take a left and go to further down in new londo...). Well if you dont cross the bridge and just go down that side against the wall there is a corpse with loot.

I know for a fact that I looted this guy weeks ago. But Im just wandering around right now and ended up there and he was glowing again. I went over and looted him and got a Witch's outfit. Pieces from head to toe and a new catalyst.

My character is female, i dont know if this matters.

And here's a pic. I wonder if I can spoiler tag pics...

Ok i cant... instead of just posting the image, here's a link to it.

http://p.twimg.com/Acj-s0DCQAAtK2x.jpg

Neat :) And like I said before, i doubt im the one breaking this info. But I figured id share in case others hadnt seen it.

That's not holiday-specific, that's
Beatrice's equipment. She's the NPC phantom that can help you for Moonlight Butterfly and Four Kings. Her corpse shows up in the Valley of Drakes after you beat the Four Kings, or sometime thereabouts.

Zzoram

Reading the wiki, it says Logan's Catalyst only becomes better than Sorcerer's Catalyst at 49 INT and above.

Anyone have luck farming for the Channeler's Trident in Dukes? This is driving me nuts, but I figure I should do all my grinding before going to NG+ where enemies will be tougher to farm.

Manmademan said:
NO. you want the crystal RING shield, which CAN be repaired and is an awesome offensive weapon. the Crystal shield is garbage. don't buy that!.

Well its not garbage... for 5000 souls the stats are pretty good, and it last a lot, I used it for 40 hours (now I dont use it because better shields) and it provides good defense against fire and lighting.

The one I bought from the merchant outside blighttown still has 119 durabilty.

widgetraf

Just to get a general sense of how to allocate my stat points..

So basically, its more of raising my vit and end to a point where I have sufficient HP not to get 1 or 2 shot, and enough end so I can get my equipped weight to <50% of capacity?

Then bring str up to around 30-ish so I can actually equip good armor and weapons (i.e. Greatshield of Artorias, Black Knight Sword, etc)?

ixix

famousmortimer said:
Oooh, ok. Thanks for the info.

She's rather easily missable, so it's not hard to not understand the context of that loot.
You need to fight the Moonlight Butterfly in human form, obviously, but even then her summoning sign is deviously hidden under a bush beneath the stairs leading up to the boss door. If you summon her for the Moonlight Butterfly you can summon her for the Four Kings, but once again her summoning sign is in an out-of-the-way location, near where the last Darkwraith ambushes you and hidden beyond a pillar across from the boss door.

You can get what backstory for her there is by reading the descriptions of her gear, but it just comes off as a generic Dark Souls Equipment Tale of Woe if you never got her to fight alongside you.

cj_iwakura

Zzoram said:
Reading the wiki, it says Logan's Catalyst only becomes better than Sorcerer's Catalyst at 49 INT and above.

Anyone have luck farming for the Channeler's Trident in Dukes? This is driving me nuts, but I figure I should do all my grinding before going to NG+ where enemies will be tougher to farm.

Third try.

Booshka

Zzoram said:

Yea, but you will get triple the experience for killing them.

cj_iwakura

ixix said:
She's rather easily missable, so it's not hard to not understand the context of that loot.
You need to fight the Moonlight Butterfly in human form, obviously, but even then her summoning sign is deviously hidden under a bush beneath the stairs leading up to the boss door. If you summon her for the Moonlight Butterfly you can summon her for the Four Kings, but once again her summoning sign is in an out-of-the-way location, near where the last Darkwraith ambushes you and hidden beyond a pillar across from the boss door.

You can get what backstory for her there is by reading the descriptions of her gear, but it just comes off as a generic Dark Souls Equipment Tale of Woe if you never got her to fight alongside you.

jMPIg.png
?

IJoel

LOL @ Crystal Cave's hidden paths. One can't help but laugh at the morbid absurdity. I swear I was going the right way! Curse those misleading snowflakes!

Zzoram

IJoel said:
LOL @ Crystal Cave's hidden paths. One can't help but laugh at the morbid absurdity. I swear I was going the right way! Curse those misleading snowflakes!

There are dozens of messages all over the invisible paths for me so they're super easy to navigate. Most of them are straight lines anyways, only the Blue Titanite Slab is on a curved path.

PS, how the heck do I farm those butterflies for Blue Titanite Slabs when they're floating over nothing? If they die, won't they drop the slab into the bottomless pit?

Zeth

have they confirmed they're patching the weapon scaling? people are talking as if it's assumed.

I just started a new character after becoming really bummed that I put 89% of my points in DEX then realizing I'd be throwing them away when I was about to upgrade to furysword.

new wanderer character is fun though. is it worth pumping STR for the cool giant weapons? I might do that along with some INT.

anddo0

Lord Vessel in hand... Ornstein + Smough were by far the biggest hurdles of this NG+ run. Even with SunBro it took me 5 tries. I guess the fact that I had over 244k in souls and 28 humanity sitting in the battle area was motivation enough.

Defuser

I can't believe I'm that stupid,I just gave Framp a Titanite Slab and a Red Slab to break into chunks and now I can't do the final upgrade for my weapons. Ugh,now I have to farm those wraiths or do Siegmeyer's sidequest.

Defuser

anddo0 said:
Lord Vessel in hand... Ornstein + Smough were by far the biggest hurdles of this NG+ run. Even with SunBro it took me 5 tries. I guess the fact that I had over 244k in souls and 28 humanity sitting in the battle area was motivation enough.
Grab the blood and quit the game.

ixix

widgetraf said:
Just to get a general sense of how to allocate my stat points..

So basically, its more of raising my vit and end to a point where I have sufficient HP not to get 1 or 2 shot, and enough end so I can get my equipped weight to <50% of capacity?

Then bring str up to around 30-ish so I can actually equip good armor and weapons (i.e. Greatshield of Artorias, Black Knight Sword, etc)?

Broadly speaking, Endurance is useful for every build because it increases both Equip Weight and Stamina. It stops boosting Stamina at 40 points though, so anything beyond that should only be taken if you want to be walking around kitted out in super heavy gear.

Vitality you should take as high as it takes for you to be comfortable with your HP, for both of my characters I've pumped it until I hit ~900-1000 HP and that general benchmark has served me well. There've been a couple people in these threads mention they don't put a single point into it, and just concentrate on never letting themselves get hit. Your call, really.

Intelligence and Faith should be pumped if you want to use Sorcery or Miracles, respectively. If you want to use Pyromancy then you needn't pump any stats, its power is based on the upgrade level of your Flame.

Resistance is basically useless. I don't put any points into it and I haven't seen anyone mount a serious argument in favor of putting points into it.

Strength and Dexterity, at the moment, should mainly be boosted to the minimum required to equip the weapons you want to use and no higher. Depending on the exact details of the upcoming patch, however, this may change dramatically. It's worth noting that there are plenty of perfectly viable weapons with incredibly low stat requirements that are fully capable of seeing you through at least to the end of your first playthrough. The ever-popular Lightning Spear has a paltry Str/Dex requirement of 11/10, for example, and comes into your possession already upgraded two-thirds of the way to its maximum.

cj_iwakura said:

I've got to admit that I don't really understand this question.

JRPereira

Welp, my current char made it to the
golem
fog gate in sen's fortress, still SL17. Will admit that I have a lvl11 pyro flame and have been doing well with soul arrows as well.

Got my sign down. Wonder if anyone will summon me.

cj_iwakura

ixix said:
I've got to admit that I don't really understand this question.

The Golden Witch Beatrice - Beatrice is the Golden and Endless Witch, and the primary antagonist. A witch who has lived for over a thousand years, she is said to appear as a cloud of golden butterflies, and has the power to summon higher demons among the 72 pillars to serve her. It is said that humans can summon her to have their wishes granted in exchange for compensation, though she often acts whimsically. She is the one rumored to have given Kinzo ten tons of gold and served under him as the alchemic advisor to the Ushiromiya family.

Umineko character. It's not impossible, with a game that has a Paladin named fricking Leeroy.

JVIDICAN

I wish I could erase my memory of playing the game and start fresh again. I want the feeling of discovery and fear back. :p The last four areas just seem like a boring chore on NG+ too.

sleepykyo

Varna said:
Basically as of now unless your str/dex is above 60 you can't hope to compete with magic/elemental weapons. Not to mention not even being able to come close to the utility of magic weapons (being able to exploit weaknesses, chip damage through shields, etc).

When this next patch hits hopefully a lot changes.

Should those do as much as the magic weapons though? If the str/dex weapons did the same damage as the magic and elemental weapons, they would massacre everything once lightning resin or great magic sword get applied.

JRPereira

toasty_T said:
Gwynevere has some big ass tittays

Try holding with both hands.

---

Anyone think tarkus and I could take on the boss in sen's by ourselves? Wasn't solaire around here somewhere as well?

I'm contemplating fighting the bomb-throwing giant now, but if he catches me in that crazy rush attack I'm doomed.

WheelHoss1 said:
Some thoughts on the ending (spoilers obviously):

Some have said that lighting the fire is the bad ending. If you walk away you become the new lord, and some have said that this is starting a new age of man. I disagree. I think if you walk away you just become a replacement for the dude you fought. If you light the fire and sacrifice yourself, you end the chain (denying the snake thing's plot). Just my 2 cents.

Maybe I just don't want to think I got the bad ending, though.

Well there's not much to disagree about, if you aren't going for NG+ check out a youtube of the other ending ;) There are a whole pile of those snake guys and they bow to you and make you the new Lord of the Dark.

You are right you DID replace the guy you fought... but that was the trap. If you can piece together the games really abstract story from the NPC's and items, the guy controlling the illusion of Gwynevere in Anor Londo (Dark Sun Gwyndolin) is powered by the fire being lit. He knows that from his father (Lord Gwyn) lighting it, that it is a sacrifice of eons, you give up your soul and are consumed. So now that the fire is going out, he doesn't want to sacrifice HIMSELF... he wants some other chump to take the fall and he gets to live out as ruler of the world. So if you light it, that's what you are doing ;)

cj_iwakura

JRPereira said:

---

Anyone think tarkus and I could take on the boss in sen's by ourselves? Wasn't solaire around here somewhere as well?

I'm contemplating fighting the bomb-throwing giant now, but if he catches me in that crazy rush attack I'm doomed.

Yeah, he's a joke. Let Tarkus rush in, lay down suppressing fire. It's easier with two, of course.

Defuser

Oracle Dragon said:
Well there's not much to disagree about, if you aren't going for NG+ check out a youtube of the other ending ;) There are a whole pile of those snake guys and they bow to you and make you the new Lord of the Dark.

You are right you DID replace the guy you fought... but that was the trap. If you can piece together the games really abstract story from the NPC's and items, the guy controlling the illusion of Gwynevere in Anor Londo (Dark Sun Gwyndolin) is powered by the fire being lit. He knows that from his father (Lord Gwyn) lighting it, that it is a sacrifice of eons, you give up your soul and are consumed. So now that the fire is going out, he doesn't want to sacrifice HIMSELF... he wants some other chump to take the fall and he gets to live out as ruler of the world. So if you light it, that's what you are doing ;)
It's a good thing I slayed that tentacle freak!

JRPereira said:

---

bomb throwing giant is ridiculously easy. he'll rush you, miss, sit there for ages motionless while you beat on him and repeat.

I'm in painted world right now at level 50 and have taken every boss and encounter solo so far. Iron golem was even easier than gaping dragon.

ixix

cj_iwakura said:
Umineko character. It's not impossible, with a game that has a Paladin named fricking Leeroy.

Aah, the pieces begin to fall into place. It wouldn't surprise me if Beatrice was an homage, really, the game does go out of its way to refer to her as a witch both when you summon her and with her equipment, just like it goes out of its way to make sure you know Leeroy is a Paladin. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom