• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stStrike

Banned
Donthizz# said:
Just attacking the tail wont cut it, you need to attack the lowest part of the tail..

He kept spinning around and annoying the shit out of me so I got pissed off, dual wielded my Dragon King's GreatAxe and just smashed the shit out of him till he died. Fuck that sword, I don't need it anyway! :p

Aeana

QisTopTier said:
sprint for and cut it off AS SOON AS YOU DESTROY THE CRYSTAL. He literally sits there roaring like a dumb ass for about 8 seconds
I don't really understand the mechanics of cutting off tails as it is. I see people do it in only a couple of strikes, and it takes me way more.

QisTopTier said:
sprint for and cut it off AS SOON AS YOU DESTROY THE CRYSTAL. He literally sits there roaring like a dumb ass for about 8 seconds

Any wisdom on priscilla? I tried it before she was aggro'ed last time and didn't get it. :(

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Aeana said:
Trying to cut Seath's tail off... Not really working very well. He keeps doing some spinny move that instantly kills me. :(

If you hang back a goodly ways from him he'll do a straight-line laser breath attack that's easily dodged and has a fairly long recovery time. If you start sprinting as soon as he starts winding up to breathe you can usually get a hit in on the tail unless he's being a cheating bastard and clipping it through a wall.

It also really helps if you've got an attack that does enough damage to take it off in only a few hits. With a fully upgraded Pyromancer's Flame I managed to get it to pop right off with only two castings of Great Combustion all of ten seconds after the battle started with my second character. With how rare a clear opportunity to hit his tail is having to slowly whittle it down is endlessly annoying. That's how my first character had to do it, and it was pure agony.

Jonsoncao

Banned
See You Next Wednesday said:
Anyone tried both the 360 & PS3 version?

I bought the 360 version after reading about Digital Foundry's comparison, but looking at some head to head videos on Youtube, the PS3 version has a significantly better framerate at the start of the undead asylum, where on the 360 it becomes a slideshow.

Anyone know if the PS3 version edges out the 360 in framerate stability?
Blightown is bad on both versions, but what about the rest?
Is New Londo bad on teh PS3 as it is on the 360?

I rented the 360 version and started a new char and went to blighttown and great hollow first, and I could say pretty much PS3 ver has much worse framerate in the swamps and on the water wheel, upon entering new londo ruins PS3 is as choppy though.

tc farks said:
Sitting at the Undead Parish bonfire above the blacksmith. Have almost 15,000 souls and just beat the Gaping Dragon boss. I figured I would buy the cursebite ring? from the guy on the church roof before I go Blighttown it up. But I also only have my pryo flame upgraded to +5 and still without the sorceror boost ring I can buy in Firelink. Nor do I have Iron Flesh yet.

I wish it was possible to grind souls faster. Everything is so damn expensive and IMO there is not enough souls to come by yet.

I know its possible for Laurenitis to leave, but if I just say No when he asks where I got my new spell or whatever does he stay there in Firelink longer? I know I have to get this flame upgraded to +10 or +15 soon, but I don't think its feasible with how many souls it takes.

First, buy the 20k crest to farm the forest. You'll make the souls back in 15 minutes max if you follow the pathing exploit.

There are other places to get souls too.
Put your soul sign down to help beat gaping dragon, it's like 10k per time.
If you can make it to and beat the boss of Anor Londo, you can get the best soul farming spot in the game.

JRPereira

Well, beat the gargoyle in anor londo, still sl17. Game froze right on a summon sign. Ended up getting to the xmb to try to quit out but the ps3 restarted. Wonder what awaits me....

Aeana

ixix said:
If you hang back a goodly ways from him he'll do a straight-line laser breath attack that's easily dodged and has a fairly long recovery time. If you start sprinting as soon as he starts winding up to breathe you can usually get a hit in on the tail unless he's being a cheating bastard and clipping it through a wall.

It also really helps if you've got an attack that does enough damage to take it off in only a few hits. With a fully upgraded Pyromancer's Flame I managed to get it to pop right off with only two castings of Great Combustion all of ten seconds after the battle started with my second character. With how rare a clear opportunity to hit his tail is having to slowly whittle it down is endlessly annoying. That's how my first character had to do it, and it was pure agony.
My pyromancy flame is only +7, but I bet it still does more damage than any physical weapon I have... I'll give that a shot. I thought you could only do it with physical attacks.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
corrosivefrost said:
Any wisdom on priscilla? I tried it before she was aggro'ed last time and didn't get it. :(
Use poison mist to make it so you can always see were she is. she always walks facing you, after you know where she is at. use a weapon that has a nice horizontal swing and tilt your camera upwards with out locking on.

Donthizz#

Aeana said:
Yes, I know that. However, after a little while he starts slamming his limbs around and I die immediately.

You can block the tail slam but his tail swipe can kill you with a single hit, try to lure him into the middle of the room before you go attacking his tail, then when he's about to initiate his tail attacks move back..

Zzoram

omg been farming Channelers for an hour, still no trident dropping. I'm doing the 2 just up the ladder above the bonfire where big hat logan used to sit near, wearing serpent ring.

Just took out the Four Kings (in one try),
sided with Kaathe
rescued the onion knights daughter
, and took out Seath in one afternoon. I'm loving my new Lightning Scimitar+4 wielding ninja character.

Oh, and I just made a Fire Falchion+7.

QisTopTier said:
Use poison mist to make it so you can always see were she is. she always walks facing you, after you know where she is at. use a weapon that has a nice horizontal swing and tilt your camera upwards with out locking on.

Recommended weapon? High damage or low damage? Someone suggested a falchion? I have a lightning iaito I can use with the r2 attack...

Donthizz#

Zzoram said:
omg been farming Channelers for an hour, still no trident dropping. I'm doing the 2 just up the ladder above the bonfire where big hat logan used to sit near, wearing serpent ring.

lucky for me, first charmer I killed dropped it, try attacking them when they start their stupid dance..

tc farks

corrosivefrost said:
First, buy the 20k crest to farm the forest. You'll make the souls back in 15 minutes max if you follow the pathing exploit.

There are other places to get souls too.
Put your soul sign down to help beat gaping dragon, it's like 10k per time.
If you can make it to and beat the boss of Anor Londo, you can get the best soul farming spot in the game.

Ah that 20k crest that I can buy from the blacksmith below me to use in Darkroot Garden? Awesome that there's a good spot finally. Does anyone mind explaining what exactly the pathing exploit is?

Unfortunately I can't help people, my crappy Wi-Fi where I live isn't good enough to let me sign into Live. I haven't been online in months.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Aeana said:
My pyromancy flame is only +7, but I bet it still does more damage than any physical weapon I have... I'll give that a shot. I thought you could only do it with physical attacks.

I'm fairly certain that tails just have a bog-standard HP threshold that they get severed at. I've gotten tails to come off with physical attacks, Pyromancy, and on one occasion a luckily-aimed Great Soul Arrow when I was helping somebody fight the Gaping Dragon. Most of them seem to have some spotty hit detection, and the game is wildly inconsistent in terms of expecting you to hit the base or the tip, which I think is where some of the confusion stems from.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
corrosivefrost said:
Recommended weapon? High damage or low damage? Someone suggested a falchion? I have a lightning iaito I can use with the r2 attack...
No recommended weapon really, just anything with a wide swing. I used a one handed claymore

Zzoram

Yep, binoculars work very well on Gwynevere, you get to see the full motion of the amazing chest. I wouldn't be surprised if they were made just for viewing her. The description says that it's value depends on your imagination.

Cool I found the dude. Smough's set is kind of heavy (crazy stats though). I got that ring that increases vit, end and load. How much does it increase load? I'm at 60 max right now. I still want to be able to roll.

Also lightning Iaito is beast. Drake sword is a joke compared to this sumbitch

Zeliard

toasty_T said:
Cool I found the dude. Smough's set is kind of heavy (crazy stats though). I got that ring that increases vit, end and load. How much does it increase load? I'm at 60 max right now. I still want to be able to roll.

20%

Zzoram

Donthizz# said:
lucky for me, first charmer I killed dropped it, try attacking them when they start their stupid dance..

I've tried killing them before their dance, during their dance, and after their dance. Giving up for now, grinding without success sucks, going to try silver knights for a while, at least they give more souls.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
So I'm a level 45-ish Pyro, but I'm not sure what the best spells to equip are... I have 3 slots right now although I'm 2 points away from getting 4 slots. My pyro catalyst is upgraded to +11 and I'm currently running around Sen's Fortress...

Right now I'm rolling with 2 regular fireballs (16 in total) and Combustion (16) but I'm wondering if it's better to focus on higher damage but lower spell count instead?

Oichi said:
So I'm a level 45-ish Pyro, but I'm not sure what the best spells to equip are... I have 3 slots right now although I'm 2 points away from getting 4 slots. My pyro catalyst is upgraded to +11 and I'm currently running around Sen's Fortress...

Right now I'm rolling with 2 regular fireballs (16 in total) and Combustion (16) but I'm wondering if it's better to focus on higher damage but lower spell count instead?

Combustion got me through the whole game (as far as pyromancy goes). Crazy effective against bosses.

Aeana

ixix said:
I'm fairly certain that tails just have a bog-standard HP threshold that they get severed at. I've gotten tails to come off with physical attacks, Pyromancy, and on one occasion a luckily-aimed Great Soul Arrow when I was helping somebody fight the Gaping Dragon. Most of them seem to have some spotty hit detection, and the game is wildly inconsistent in terms of expecting you to hit the base or the tip, which I think is where some of the confusion stems from.
Got it and beat him. Thanks! :)

Donthizz#

toasty_T said:

Also lightning Iaito is beast. Drake sword is a joke compared to this sumbitch

Washing pole is better than the Iaito IMO because of its superior reach..and it looks cool as hell.

soldat7

tc farks said:
I wish it was possible to grind souls faster. Everything is so damn expensive and IMO there is not enough souls to come by yet.

I agree. That's why I don't feel bad farming in the forest. You just don't get enough souls otherwise, IMO.

Haunted

Blighttown framerate drops weren't as bad as I thought they would be from the talk in here.

Ok most of the time, but when it dropped in some spots, it really dropped. The engine can't handle more than three light sources interacting with objects in the vicinity.

TommyT

Septimius said:
I know this is from some pages back, but I'd just like to give a heads up to people; I've done a lot of calculations on best defense vs weight. Any combination you do with a piece of armor missing will have way less defense than using 3 pieces of lighter armor.

It might look good, but you're dying more often because of it.

Also, I just beat The Four Kings. Man, that boss showed me the importance of poise. I threw on Havel's and Wolf's Ring. I was just standing there, hitting them, rolling occasionally, and when my health got low, I just healed. It wasn't like an attack from them was ever going to interrupt my heal. Worked out beautifully. Cheesy, but effective strategy.

Lost 14 humanity before that, though :<

So you can switch rings once you're down there? I always wondered but didn't want to just randomly die after de-equipping it.

Septimius

Donthizz# said:
Washing pole is better than the Iaito IMO because of its superior reach..and it looks cool as hell.

Hmm. I suppose it's a viable build. I mean, we don't yet know what level the SL120 of this game will be (or will there ever be one?) - If it's not too high, it might be that Washing pole is the best, because even if you get a bunch of DEX, it won't be better than 20 STR/20 DEX. Then again, you'd want 45 DEX if you're using spells. Hmm.

At what point should I stop power leveling behind the forest crest door? I'm SL47 now and Quelaag is the last boss I have best. Next stop is undead asylum then sen's. Your thoughts?

Zeliard

DigitalDevil said:
At what point should I stop power leveling behind the forest crest door? I'm SL47 now and Quelaag is the last boss I have best. Next stop is undead asylum then sen's. Your thoughts?

Your level is more than adequate. Gear is much more important at that stage anyway.

Donthizz# said:

The R2 attack makes the iaito vastly superior, IMO.
But the washing pole is better than the uchi for sure based on reach.
I'm going to make a +15 washing pole for crystal magic weapon. That sounds like a good idea. ^_^

Septimius said:
I tried that.

I died

That's fucked up.
You can totally warp there as a darkwraith once they're dead without wearing the ring.
:\

Septimius

DigitalDevil said:

I was level 55 when I reached Anor Londo. You're fine. There really, really is no point to farm in this game. Whenever I did, it ended in a huuuge spending spree so not to level too much. Like today I spent 600k souls on random stuff.

tc farks said:
Ah that 20k crest that I can buy from the blacksmith below me to use in Darkroot Garden? Awesome that there's a good spot finally. Does anyone mind explaining what exactly the pathing exploit is?

First you want to tear down the hidden wall left next to the locked door to have a convenient bonfire to start from. After that, go through the door and down the stairs.
To your left is a mage, a monk and a thief (who is partially invisible and can't be targeted)
What you want to do is to run in a circle starting left, past a log on the ground, going around the mage (who will cast soul arrows at you - just run faster) and draw all three to follow you.
You want to run back towards the stairs, but instead of running up, pass them on the right side until you stand on a small ledge. Now put up your shield and face the chasm so that the stairs are in your back.
The three pursuers will run up the stairs and jump onto you and if done correctly, fall into the chasm, netting about 6-8k souls total.
Of course, a little kick helps, too, if one of them manages to land next to you.

Just be careful with the mage. He sometimes keeps shooting soul arrows and can hit you there instead of doing the stairs jump, but you'll figure it out eventually.
After that, back to the bonfire and repeat.

This does not work anymore if you join the forest covenant, so be careful to avoid talking to stray cats.

Varna

Aeana said:
I was able to deal with the archers, but the channelers were jerks.

Fire orb to the face seem to do the trick. EXP distribution is way screwed up in this game. Those fuckers only give 500 souls.

Kalnos said:
Lol. That's the second guy I have invaded who was afk at his bonfire in the Depths. If you go AFK in human form remember to stay rested guys.
KuGsj.gif

Even if you are resting, you still can get invaded, that happened to myself, I was trying how my stats increased by lvling up certain attributes, and suddenly the bonfire turned off, like when an enemy comes close to a bonfire, and seconds after the message appeared... tried to summon help but no luck :(

Booshka

Going Iron Flesh Tank mode on
Gwyn
feels kinda cheap, but fuck it. I had 26 Humanity on me and just wanted to finish that playthrough. On to NG+++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom