• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
John Harker said:
Well, I spent like 5 hours just grinding souls to pay for absolution (yes, still, I know, I suck). I was over 20k when I thought I was about to fight the Giant Rat and ended up facing the Gaping Dragon. Which I was not prepared for. 20k souls gone. 5 hours down the drain. Sigh.

At what point does this game open up?
I'm real tired of trying to scrap souls together to pay for absolution because I accidently hit the main blacksmith dude. I'm not really doing anything; not buying items, upgrading, leveling, etc, to calm that bitch down. So now I'm like 17 hours in, just really hitting The Depths now, SL 19, using a Halbred +1 or Drake Sword, giant bore helmet and Knight armor, pyromancy all lvl 1. Hell, the only cool item I have is the ring from when when I managed to kill Havel early.

I feel like the game is on rails for me, does it open up with freedom soon?
I haven't even found a comfortable grinding spot yet and I'm a crazy amount of time in.
You need 20k for the forest crest- you'll make that back in 15 minutes, and you can grind comfortably.

Zeliard

oh lul that's right, he hit the blacksmith that sells the crest.

hteng said:
the only good grinding spot early on is darkroot garden but since you aggroed the blacksmith, you can't buy the key to access that part of the garden. so man up and farm those souls, fyi you'll need another 20k souls to buy the access from the smith. not sure how it takes five hours for you to farm 20k souls but the Undead knights in the church gives decent souls, doesn't take 5 hours, probably 45mins if you are good at it.

I think the frogs in the garden also drop a decent amount of souls when killed.

1stStrike

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
If he hit the blacksmith that sells the crest he doesn't have the option of grinding souls in the forest.

lol. I guess his best option is to just go and do some co-op to help people beat the gargoyles or something. It's 12,500 souls each time you help someone beat them and takes like 2 - 3 minutes tops. Easiest way to get souls at that level - so after like 3 trips he'll have just about enough to buy absolution.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
1stStrike said:
I'm guessing you didn't know that you can grind like 7,000 souls in 2 - 3 minutes? You can replace those 20k souls in no time - though, the catch is that you need to grind out 20k souls first to open a door.

-----

Also, for those having trouble with Priscilla - +5 Dragon King's GreatAxe 2 handed. I battled her once, took off 90% of her HP in one shot with the 2 handed strong attack. She's super easy if you use a weapon with enough oomph :p

Can't open the door... that's the blacksmith whose aggros!

1stStrike said:
I'm guessing you didn't know that you can grind like 7,000 souls in 2 - 3 minutes? You can replace those 20k souls in no time - though, the catch is that you need to grind out 20k souls first to open a door.

-----

Also, for those having trouble with Priscilla - +5 Dragon King's GreatAxe 2 handed. I battled her once, took off 90% of her HP in one shot with the 2 handed strong attack. She's super easy if you use a weapon with enough oomph :p

My problem isn't killing her.
My problem is removing her tail. :(

Zeliard

1stStrike said:
lol. I guess his best option is to just go and do some co-op to help people beat the gargoyles or something. It's 12,500 souls each time you help someone beat them and takes like 2 - 3 minutes tops. Easiest way to get souls at that level - so after like 3 trips he'll have just about enough to buy absolution.

Yeah this is the best way. Gets you humanity as well.

Jonsoncao said:
I rented the 360 version and started a new char and went to blighttown and great hollow first, and I could say pretty much PS3 ver has much worse framerate in the swamps and on the water wheel, upon entering new londo ruins PS3 is as choppy though.

That's good to know. So I guess they are nearly identical except for some small parts.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Zeliard said:
Yeah this is the best way. Gets you humanity as well.

You get 12k for co-oping the gargoyals? ugh, and all this time I thought you only got 3k like when you beat them yourself. Maybe I'll try that - I gave up because the first time I dropped the Whitestone, it took like 7 min to get summoned and it disconnected before I got pulled in. That's a crazy time waster. (or do you get more for other bosses in the area? Capera demon's real easy...).

Though, random question, is there any way out of The Depths from the first bonfire? For some reason I just keep running around in circles and I can't find my way back up the stairs to the Firelink shortcut.

1stStrike

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
My problem isn't killing her.
My problem is removing her tail. :(

My axe actually cut off her tail at the same time I hit her cause I walk around behind her and did the two handed strong attack - it's an AOE smash that does massive damage. So, she was down 90% HP and a tail - and never went invisible at all lol.

Zzoram

that centipede ambush in demon ruins is such a bitch, destroyed all my gear too

did invader NPC kirk have anything good to drop? I died at the same time I killed him and the drop wasn't there when I got back, even though I clearly saw a drop

John Harker said:
Well, I spent like 5 hours just grinding souls to pay for absolution (yes, still, I know, I suck). I was over 20k when I thought I was about to fight the Giant Rat and ended up facing the Gaping Dragon. Which I was not prepared for. 20k souls gone. 5 hours down the drain. Sigh.

At what point does this game open up?
I'm real tired of trying to scrap souls together to pay for absolution because I accidently hit the main blacksmith dude. I'm not really doing anything; not buying items, upgrading, leveling, etc, to calm that bitch down. So now I'm like 17 hours in, just really hitting The Depths now, SL 19, using a Halbred +1 or Drake Sword, giant bore helmet and Knight armor, pyromancy all lvl 1. Hell, the only cool item I have is the ring from when when I managed to kill Havel early.

I feel like the game is on rails for me, does it open up with freedom soon?
I haven't even found a comfortable grinding spot yet and I'm a crazy amount of time in.

If you managed to kill Havel early you have the master key. I went a totally different route than you are describing above, so I would say the game is already "opened up", especially if you have the master key.

Just forget about the Blacksmith, if you don't want a raw or divine weapon, you don't even need him. If you really want the key to the farming area, just kill him, he drops it. There is another vendor who sells his mats (for 20% more cost) but its doable.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Zzoram said:

did invader NPC kirk have anything good to drop? I died at the same time I killed him and the drop wasn't there when I got back, even though I clearly saw a drop
I lost out on it too. Luckily I guess it was some crap I didn't care about according to the wiki.

Oracle Dragon said:
If you managed to kill Havel early you have the master key. I went a totally different route than you are describing above, so I would say the game is already "opened up", especially if you have the master key.

Just forget about the Blacksmith, if you don't want a raw or divine weapon, you don't even need him. If you really want the key to the farming area, just kill him, he drops it. There is another vendor who sells his mats (for 20% more cost) but its doable.
Oh shit, I forgot he could do that :lol

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
ugh... ive been playing this game a long time and still have so many questions...
I've been using the drake sword, and I understand that its effectiveness eventually lessens due to the fact that it doesn't scale with your stats, but I still havent found anything that does anywhere near the same damage. Can anyone recommend a good alternative to the Drake Sword? Maybe something that's better once you upgrade it?

hteng said:
the only good grinding spot early on is darkroot garden but since you aggroed the blacksmith, you can't buy the key to access that part of the garden. so man up and farm those souls, fyi you'll need another 20k souls to buy the access from the smith. not sure how it takes five hours for you to farm 20k souls but the Undead knights in the church gives decent souls, doesn't take 5 hours, probably 45mins if you are good at it.
Dude those knights drop 100 apiece, there is no way you are killing 200 of them in forty five minutes.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Aeana said:
Holy crap, white dragon breath is rad.

Yeah, it's pretty kickin'. I was heavily debating whether to stop at 44 Int for Crystal Soul Spear or keep going to 50 for White Dragon Breath. I went to 50 well before the Archives and was lamenting my shortsightedness for a while, then got the spell, cast it once, and decided I was stupid to doubt the wisdom of pumping those last 6 Soul Levels into Int.

Glorious, glorious White Dragon Breath.

Zeliard

John Harker said:
You get 12k for co-oping the gargoyals? ugh, and all this time I thought you only got 3k like when you beat them yourself. Maybe I'll try that - I gave up because the first time I dropped the Whitestone, it took like 7 min to get summoned and it disconnected before I got pulled in. That's a crazy time waster. (or do you get more for other bosses in the area? Capera demon's real easy...).

Though, random question, is there any way out of The Depths from the first bonfire? For some reason I just keep running around in circles and I can't find my way back up the stairs to the Firelink shortcut.

Getting summoned can be hit or miss but you seem to be at a solid soul level for the gargoyles. Definitely try Capra as well.

And from the Depths bonfire as I recall you just go straight past all those slimes that drop from the ceiling and make your way back upstairs.

ixix

Oracle Dragon said:

The blacksmith he aggroed is the only one that can upgrade +5 weapons to +6. If he doesn't mend that fence he's stuck with Fire, Chaos, Magic, and Enchanted weaponry only, barring those weapons that come pre-upgraded like the Lightning Spear and Occult Club.

Living without him is possible, but rather aggravating. Doubly so if it's your first playthrough.

pedr0theli0n said:
ugh... ive been playing this game a long time and still have so many questions...
I've been using the drake sword, and I understand that its effectiveness eventually lessens due to the fact that it doesn't scale with your stats, but I still havent found anything that does anywhere near the same damage. Can anyone recommend a good alternative to the Drake Sword? Maybe something that's better once you upgrade it?

You'll have the drake sword until you either get the lightning spear from Sens Fortress, or until you get a stat up to 30-35+ and upgrade a weapon to +3/+4 that scales with that stat.

Oracle Dragon said:

I suppose this is true -- you can make your own +5 weapons for fire/chaos/magic trees, but you'll never get lightning, unique, +15, crystal, etc.

--

I wonder if i can use my lightning iaito +3 and just walk behind her before she's aggro, do a 2-handed r2 horizontal cut

TommyT

Zzoram said:

did invader NPC kirk have anything good to drop?
I died at the same time I killed him and the drop wasn't there when I got back, even though I clearly saw a drop

Shield and humanity was all I got.

Finally feeling like I have a leg up.... SL51, rocking bandit knife +8, long bow +5, eagle shield +5, dingy robe +3, some kind of skirt +3. I can finish the forest protectors in two backstabs... I'm ready for undead asylum.

JVIDICAN

What kind of unmerciful douche invades Tomb of Giants? (Not the npc phantom, but that was the reason i was in human form n the first place)>:/
I killed him in the end, but I was standing in one place shield up in near total darkness for almost 10 minutes before the guy showed his face. He somehow popped up behind me too.
>.<

Zeliard

DigitalDevil said:
Finally feeling like I have a leg up.... SL51, rocking bandit knife +8, long bow +5, eagle shield +5, dingy robe +3, some kind of skirt +3. I can finish the forest protectors in two backstabs... I'm ready for undead asylum.

Your Bandit's Knife's bleeding effect will come in handy in that fight. :>

ixix said:
Yeah, it's pretty kickin'. I was heavily debating whether to stop at 44 Int for Crystal Soul Spear or keep going to 50 for White Dragon Breath. I went to 50 well before the Archives and was lamenting my shortsightedness for a while, then got the spell, cast it once, and decided I was stupid to doubt the wisdom of pumping those last 6 Soul Levels into Int.

Glorious, glorious White Dragon Breath.

I haven't tried it yet -- is it worth one of my 5 slots? I just got my INT to 50 and I have the spell sitting in my inventory.

--

Is "furry" sword a meme? Or just typos? :p

ixix said:
The blacksmith he aggroed is the only one that can upgrade +5 weapons to +6. If he doesn't mend that fence he's stuck with Fire, Chaos, Magic, and Enchanted weaponry only, barring those weapons that come pre-upgraded like the Lightning Spear and Occult Club.

Living without him is possible, but rather aggravating. Doubly so if it's your first playthrough.

Fair enough; if you want a custom made lightning weapon, you must save this guy. Of course, if it is taking 5-10 hours to far 20K souls, I think it's probably better just to start over. Almost certainly it would take under 5 hours to get back to SL 19 and the depths, just due to the knowledge gained from the first playthrough. On my 2nd playthrough (not NG+, reroll) it took about 20 minutes to ring the first bell (EDIT - By comparison, my first playthrough took like what... 5 hours? Maybe 6, to get that far). I forget what level I was but it was decent, since I knew enough to dump all my souls into one stat (including soul items I found)... endurance since I was melee. Fighting those early fights with 20+ endurance made a HUGE difference ;)

JVIDICAN

corrosivefrost said:
I haven't tried it yet -- is it worth one of my 5 slots? I just got my INT to 50 and I have the spell sitting in my inventory.

--

what sword are you talking about?
I'm using this bad ass killing stick.
furry_sword.gif

corrosivefrost said:

--

No, the furry sword is real. I don't even want to explain what you have to do to Sif to get it.

frequency

Zzoram said:

I think he dropped a sword for me. It wasn't very good though... I think it had like bleed or something on it.

Zeliard

DigitalDevil said:
I have an iaito +5 also. Would that be even better? I'm not in love with the moveset, at least not yet.

Probably since it has a longer reach and stronger attacks.

And learn to love the Iaito. :) I love its moveset. Quick vertical slices which makes it great in the many corridors in the game since it doesn't clash off walls. Its strong attack is great as an interrupt against enemies and players alike, and can work beautifully as a counter or finisher. The R2 attack also comes out a little bit faster if you combo it with a regular attack beforehand.

JVIDICAN

DigitalDevil said:
No, the furry sword is real. I don't even want to explain what you have to do to Sif to get it.
Eh.. why not tell him.
It's the weapon you get when Sif joins your covenant and you "create" another crossbreed. :)))

ixix

corrosivefrost said:

It's a 1-slot, 20-casting straight line of pure death. I think of it as the ultimate incarnation of the Soul Arrow line of spells. Does about twice as much damage as Great Soul Arrow, doesn't stop when it hits an enemy, wreaks absolute havoc on groups. It's basically the third point of the ultimate attack spell triumvirate along with Crystal Soul Spear and Crystal Homing Soulmass.

iumogg

Neo Member
Picked this up today. So I rang the first bell. I like this game, though I did get a little help to get this far. I have one question. Should I have better armor by now? I'm playing as a pryromancer and I'm still wearing the clothes I started with.

Zeliard

Man, magic sounds like fun this time around, especially with the Pyro stuff. Being able to walk around and just shit on everything from a distance. Like some walking Typhoon, just obliterating everything around you. Would be awesome for a God playthrough.

Zeliard said:
Probably since it has a longer reach and stronger attacks.

And learn to love the Iaito. :) I love its moveset. Quick vertical slices which makes it great in the many corridors in the game since it doesn't clash off walls. Its strong attack is great as an interrupt against enemies and players alike, and can work beautifully as a counter or finisher. The R2 attack also comes out a little bit faster if you combo it with a regular attack beforehand.
Yeah I've heard lots of good things about it. Thank god for the bleeding effect. Don't know what I'd do without it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom