• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
DigitalDevil said:
At what point should I stop power leveling behind the forest crest door? I'm SL47 now and Quelaag is the last boss I have best. Next stop is undead asylum then sen's. Your thoughts?

I am 108 and still leveling there on first playthrough. I might be crazy though.

maomaoIYP

corrosivefrost said:
Recommended weapon? High damage or low damage? Someone suggested a falchion? I have a lightning iaito I can use with the r2 attack...

Poison or acid mist only works the very first time you fight her. Subsequent attempts she doesn't get poisoned anymore. Instead track her footsteps and shoot her with an arrow. That gives you a few seconds to hit her a few times to make her visible. Once she is visible, you can lock on, but my advice is that you DON'T want to lock on. Instead, stay unlocked, face her tail from her left or right side, aim carefully and time each swing to connect directly with the tail. You'll know you're hitting it when you see blood spurting from her tail instead of her feet.

As for weapons, preferably take something that gives a vertical down swing, like a greatsword. If not a normal sword is fine too. Her health is impossible low, so you want your weapon to be as weak as possible, and do not use anything that causes bleed, because she don't turn visible if you do. I had to kill myself 3 times before I got it.

tc farks said:
So can someone explain to me the pathing exploit behind the crest door in Darkroot Garden and the Forest Covenant one?

Is there a special trick? I've just been killing the 4 humans the old fashioned way, then using the homeward spell.

maomaoIYP

WheelHoss1 said:
How is everyone enjoying New Game plus? Couldn't get into it for Demon's Souls, but considering it here.

NG+ is VASTLY easier than the 1st playthrough because of the godly weapons you will have by then.

MomoPufflet said:
I am 108 and still leveling there on first playthrough. I might be crazy though.

If you're willing to kill Gwynevere, have 18 faith or don't mind dumping a ton of cash into homeward bones, you can get 12k souls in less than 2 minutes without exploits using the "Frost Certified" Anor Londo farming method. It nets 36k souls in 2 minutes on NG+.

maomaoIYP said:
NG+ is VASTLY easier than the 1st playthrough because of the godly weapons you will have by then.

Not sure what game you're playing, but even with my best armor, most things do 30% damage to me with 1 hit. My lightning spear +5 no longer cuts it. It's been a slow transition to magic user to get by in NG+. :p

Defuser

TommyT said:
So then how did you thrown on Havel's and Wolf's ring?
I think he meant to say Havel's Armor
MomoPufflet said:
Is there a special trick? I've just been killing the 4 humans the old fashioned way, then using the homeward spell.
Bait them,run at the corner of the bottom stairs and wait. Watch all 4 four jump to their deaths.

tc farks

kingschiebi said:
It's a bit hard to orient yourself at first. There are also some vids on youtube that help a lot if you seem to have trouble finding the right spot to stand in.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Since I'm gonna spend all my souls on the crest for the door I don't mind failing a few times before I figure it out.

Speevy

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
If you're willing to kill Gwynevere, have 18 faith or don't mind dumping a ton of cash into homeward bones, you can get 12k souls in less than 2 minutes without exploits using the "Frost Certified" Anor Londo farming method. It nets 36k souls in 2 minutes on NG+.

If it's your first playthrough, farming Darkroot Garden is much simpler.

tc farks said:
So can someone explain to me the pathing exploit behind the crest door in Darkroot Garden and the Forest Covenant one?

Pretty much all you need to do is unlock the door with the crest, run in (ideally with a less encumbered character for speed) and aggravate the enemies that are stationed in the forest, then run back to the entrance but stand near the ledge to the right of the stairs and watch the enemies climb the stairs, then jump off to their doom in pursuit of you.

However, you'll want to kill each enemy individually the first time as a few of them drop unique items if I'm not mistaken and will not return.

After you've taken care of them, you can exploit this tactic is it will save you some time from having to deal with them personally and really isn't too cheap a method to gain souls.

Here's a video that better demonstrates the exact pathing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKVB4sL4Sxg

Edit: Beaten :(

tc farks said:
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Since I'm gonna spend all my souls on the crest for the door I don't mind failing a few times before I figure it out.

It's not hard -- as they said, just loop in a circle starting on one side of the soul arrow caster, go around the monk and invisible thief and agro the axe guy if you're feeling spunky. Run to the very edge of the ledge -- odds are, you'll either see another person there too (ghost) or an orange marker saying "HERE!" or whatever. 8)

Be warned, the first time you go in there, there's a few guys who don't respawn and are worth about 5k souls (like Pharis... there'a a knight or too as well). So be careful at first.

Zzoram

30 minutes and i get silver knight straight sword, silver knight spear, silver knight shield

:D

1 hour and no channeler's trident

:'(

Speevy said:
If it's your first playthrough, farming Darkroot Garden is much simpler.

Yes, until you get to Anor Londo or a spot where you need something like 80k souls for stuff. I got bored reallllly quickly only getting 6-7k every 4 minutes or so after I hit mid 40s low 50s SL and bought most of the spells.

For someone who's at SL 108 and still farming there, it probably makes more sense to move over to my Anor Londo method to save yourself some time.

Defuser said:
Bait them,run at the corner of the bottom stairs and wait. Watch all 4 four jump to their deaths.

Wow, thanks for that. Will definitely try!

corrosivefrost said:

Which part of Anor do you do it in? I have the homeward spell.

Haunted

FuzzyNorman said:
I just upgraded my +5 spear to a divine spear, but I feel like all it did was make it less powerful. What's up?
Divine anything is garbage and will do less damage to most enemies compared to a raw or regular damage weapon. And much less than an elemental weapon (for now). Divine only seems to be useful in the Catacombs. Or so I hear.

You done goofed.

Haunted said:
Divine anything is garbage and will do less damage to most enemies compared to a raw or regular damage weapon. And much less than an elemental weapon (for now). Divine only seems to be useful in the Catacombs. Or so I hear.

You done goofed.

Yeah, I made my beautiful composite bough a divine bow, I was very, very misguided on that one.

Septimius said:
I know this is from some pages back, but I'd just like to give a heads up to people; I've done a lot of calculations on best defense vs weight. Any combination you do with a piece of armor missing will have way less defense than using 3 pieces of lighter armor.

It might look good, but you're dying more often because of it.

Also, I just beat The Four Kings. Man, that boss showed me the importance of poise. I threw on Havel's and Wolf's Ring. I was just standing there, hitting them, rolling occasionally, and when my health got low, I just healed. It wasn't like an attack from them was ever going to interrupt my heal. Worked out beautifully. Cheesy, but effective strategy.

Lost 14 humanity before that, though :<

Why the wolf ring? Isn't that just more damage from riposte? (Side question: Does it stack with hornets ring :D)

Booshka

corrosivefrost said:
Yes, until you get to Anor Londo or a spot where you need something like 80k souls for stuff. I got bored reallllly quickly only getting 6-7k every 4 minutes or so after I hit mid 40s low 50s SL and bought most of the spells.

For someone who's at SL 108 and still farming there, it probably makes more sense to move over to my Anor Londo method to save yourself some time.
If you're farming for Soul Level on your first playthrough above level 80 you should just finish the game. NG+ gives you triple the experience for kills on all regular enemies and most bosses. Much quicker leveling.

Leunam

Finished Sen's Fortress, minus the pit at the bottom, and made it to Anor Londo. Really pretty to look at, but kind of boring to walk around in. Maybe because everything is so wide open. Haven't gone too far in yet.

Kalnos

Banned
Aeana said:
Holy crap, white dragon breath is rad.

Well, I have never heard of this ability so I google'd it and I have to say that you should probably attach "dark souls" onto the search if you do. Fucking urbandictionary.

MomoPufflet said:
Wow, thanks for that. Will definitely try!

Which part of Anor do you do it in? I have the homeward spell.

Need to have met and killed gwynevere so anor londo is dark.
Doing so will replace the two giant paladin armors in the great hall leading up to smough/ornstein with two NPCs (one wearing balder armor, the other wearing heavy gear of some sort with a great sword).
In first playthrough, each is worth 5k souls per kill, but they do not respawn when resting at a bonfire; they DO respawn when you warp or use the homeward miracle.

The best way, with the miracle, is to warp to AND REST AT the chamber of the princess bonfire. Drop down off the chamber of the princess bonfire warp point into where you killed smough/ornstein and heal. Head out into the dark great hall and you'll see them and they'll aggro. Slay them how you see fit. I usually fuck them up proper with either great fireball or crystal homing soul mass. +10k souls. (+12k if you have the silver serpent ring from Tomb of the Giants.) Once dead, homeward miracle back to the chamber of the princess bonfire, rinse, repeat. Takes less than 2 minutes to kill them both for me and gets me 36k in NG+. For reference, at SL 116 or so, it takes me 3 trips to level up with some to spare, as it's about 80k for a level now. I've hit my 50 int and have gone back to putting points into END (and next vitality).

If you don't have the miracle, the is a slightly more dangerous way, unless you can handle the silver knights well -- I was one shotting them with fire orb, personally. So if you don't have the miracle, you go backwards to the bonfire after the archers -- you go up the stairs on the left and down through the room where the silver knight with the halberd is with the second knight guarding the chests with silver knight gear in them. You can kill the knight in the hallway and the knight in the room across from the bonfire room (guarding the chest with 3 sunlight medals) too if they're easy for you. You can farm silver knight weapons/shields as well as add another 3600+ souls to your total. Doing it this way yields about 15000 souls per run and takes about 5 minutes. When you reach the bonfire, warp back to chamber of the princess and repeat.

toasty_T said:
Cool I found the dude. Smough's set is kind of heavy (crazy stats though). I got that ring that increases vit, end and load. How much does it increase load? I'm at 60 max right now. I still want to be able to roll.

Also lightning Iaito is beast. Drake sword is a joke compared to this sumbitch

I didn't find Smough's set to be that good? Or am I overlooking something? Honestly if you are in to heavy armor, Stone Knight set is super easy to get and the only set that is much better than it is Havel's. I wore the Iron Golem set through endgame, but all three of those are not only easier to get than Smough's, they are better to.

I've never figured out the armour in this or in Demon's Souls. They have a TON of sets, but there is no purpose to many of them. For example, why would I wear any heavy armor but Havel's? I get nothing extra (other than looks) for wearing the other ones. They are lighter, but not enough to roll, and they have inferior protection stats.

Booshka

Well...fuck. I was trading items with Snuggly when I come back from a load and immediately fall off and die. I come back and can't find my bloodstain, if there even is one. I had 200K souls and 26 Humanity on me. Goddammit

Anyone know where your bloodstain goes? I was standing directly on the nest when I Quit and re-loaded, not sure how I fell off, it's happened before, but my stain was right next to the nest.

corrosivefrost said:

How the hell is it taking you four minutes to complete that run? The whole thing is 90 seconds tops for me.

Zeliard

Oracle Dragon said:
I didn't find Smough's set to be that good? Or am I overlooking something? Honestly if you are in to heavy armor, Stone Knight set is super easy to get and the only set that is much better than it is Havel's. I wore the Iron Golem set through endgame, but all three of those are not only easier to get than Smough's, they are better to.

I've never figured out the armour in this or in Demon's Souls. They have a TON of sets, but there is no purpose to many of them. For example, why would I wear any heavy armor but Havel's? I get nothing extra (other than looks) for wearing the other ones. They are lighter, but not enough to roll, and they have inferior protection stats.

Well Havel's much like Ornstein's can't be upgraded, so there's ultimately a limit to its resistances, especially if you intend on hitting the higher levels and/or NG pluses.

What does makes Havel's set uniquely good though is its very high Poise rating, which I think is unmatched. Or maybe Smough's gets near it, I dunno.

Speevy

Banned
I'm still using Havel's set.

Is any of the crazier armor in this game actually based on armor that humans have ever used?

Leunam

Ace_235 said:
Can thiefs use magic using the talisman?

Anyone can use magic/miracles/pyromancy as long as they have the stats and equipment for it. My Knight is using some pyromancy despite being mainly a melee character.

DigitalDevil said:
How the hell is it taking you four minutes to complete that run? The whole thing is 90 seconds tops for me.

The assholes get stuck in the trees -- or stand there looking stupid while I wait for them to run up the stairs and drop off. Some runs take less than 2 minutes. Some runs take more... like when the fucking monk or axe guy walk back to their starting points and I have to go track them down and melee them. As far as I'm concerned, if you're ready to do so, my Anor Londo method is superior to the forest method any day of the week... those same 90 seconds yield double the souls. :)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Well, I spent like 5 hours just grinding souls to pay for absolution (yes, still, I know, I suck). I was over 20k when I thought I was about to fight the Giant Rat and ended up facing the Gaping Dragon. Which I was not prepared for. 20k souls gone. 5 hours down the drain. Sigh.

At what point does this game open up?
I'm real tired of trying to scrap souls together to pay for absolution because I accidently hit the main blacksmith dude. I'm not really doing anything; not buying items, upgrading, leveling, etc, to calm that bitch down. So now I'm like 17 hours in, just really hitting The Depths now, SL 19, using a Halbred +1 or Drake Sword, giant bore helmet and Knight armor, pyromancy all lvl 1. Hell, the only cool item I have is the ring from when when I managed to kill Havel early.

I feel like the game is on rails for me, does it open up with freedom soon?
I haven't even found a comfortable grinding spot yet and I'm a crazy amount of time in.

Giard

Just beat
Quelaag.
Now I found an illusory wall behind her, and some infected guy won't let me pass cause I answered "no" to his question. Is there anything I can do about it?

Posted this also in the community help thread, but it's pretty dead compared to here.
EDIT: Of course I say that and I get answered faster in the other thread :p

Leunam

Can you talk to him again?

EDIT: That might not work on him. I think it only works with the people that teach magic.

Oops, nevermind.

Giard said:
Just beat
Quelaag.
Now I found an illusory wall behind her, and some infected guy won't let me pass cause I answered "no" to his question. Is there anything I can do about it?

Posted this also in the community help thread, but it's pretty dead compared to here.
I came back later and he asked the question again. He let me through when I said yes.

Booshka

John Harker said:
Well, I spent like 5 hours just grinding souls to pay for absolution (yes, still, I know, I suck). I was over 20k when I thought I was about to fight the Giant Rat and ended up facing the Gaping Dragon. Which I was not prepared for. 20k souls gone. 5 hours down the drain. Sigh.

I'm real tired of trying to scrap souls together to pay for absolution because I accidently hit the main blacksmith dude. I'm not really doing anything; not buying items, upgrading, leveling, etc, to calm that bitch down. So now I'm like 17 hours in, just really hitting The Depths now, SL 19, using a Halbred +1 or Drake Sword, giant bore helmet and Knight armor, pyromancy all lvl 1. Hell, the only cool item I have is the ring from when when I managed to kill Havel early.

I haven't even found a comfortable grinding spot yet and I'm a crazy amount of time in.
Scroll up for a good farming spot, you'll get 20K souls in 5 mins instead of 5 hours.

Still can't believe I just lost 26 Humanity and 200K souls, this game totally fucked me over. I guess it is karma for beating
Gwyn
with cheap tactics.

Speevy

Banned
John Harker said:

I hate to tell you this, but there's a pre-bells game and a post-bell game. All that you can do in between that is grind at Darkroot forest.

scy

Haunted said:

You done goofed.

As someone who's damn proud of his Faith build ... I kind of agree; don't think it will do less damage than a comparable Standard or Raw though (besides the normal split damage misgivings). My Occult Claymore +5 at 50 Faith is something like a barely 400 Magic damage weapon. The only perk of it is the damage type and I'm still not convinced that it truly is a special type (Dark).

Doing the farming to try other Occult weapons but I'm not expecting much out of it. Probably might as well make a Lightning Claymore come NG+. Really hope this patch does something, though :/

Zeliard

John Harker said:

It's largely open from the bat; it just depends on whether or not you're willing to go through more dangerous environments first. Once you ring both bells it should start feeling more open to you since you can go off and do a few different things before hitting Sen's Fortress. You can do them now as well if you want a change, like the forest stuff, or the Stray Demon.

At SL19 you should owe 38000 souls for absolution which you probably can get in a decent amount of time past the forest crest. Though you need 20k to open it up.

1stStrike

Banned
John Harker said:

I'm guessing you didn't know that you can grind like 7,000 souls in 2 - 3 minutes? You can replace those 20k souls in no time - though, the catch is that you need to grind out 20k souls first to open a door.

-----

Also, for those having trouble with Priscilla - +5 Dragon King's GreatAxe 2 handed. I battled her once, took off 90% of her HP in one shot with the 2 handed strong attack. She's super easy if you use a weapon with enough oomph :p

hteng

Banned
John Harker said:

the only good grinding spot early on is darkroot garden but since you aggroed the blacksmith, you can't buy the key to access that part of the garden. so man up and farm those souls, fyi you'll need another 20k souls to buy the access from the smith. not sure how it takes five hours for you to farm 20k souls but the Undead knights in the church gives decent souls, doesn't take 5 hours, probably 45mins if you are good at it.

Speevy

Banned
I remember hitting some NPCs in Demon's Souls. Luckily it was after I had nearly beaten the game.

What happened was that I had this huge spell and dropped the controller. Flattened the whole room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom