• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequency

corrosivefrost said:
Barbed straight sword; I made it into my chaos weapon +5.
Ah yes, I think that's what it was called.

Gunmonkey36 said:
I got to the Giant's Tomb today...

I @#$ing hate the Giant's Tomb.

I'm at the second bonfire. Please tell me its over soon...
That area is pretty short. Just a little more to go!

Aeana

Gunmonkey36 said:
I got to the Giant's Tomb today...

I @#$ing hate the Giant's Tomb.

I'm at the second bonfire. Please tell me its over soon...
It is. You can run from that bonfire to the boss in a minute or so once you know where to go.

Zeliard

Gr1mLock said:
Lol..I have no desire to do anything of that sort. Plus i love my iato and dont wanna fuck it up.

You should take the Iaito to Lightning +5 and upgrade a basic Scimitar or Falchion to +10 and use that to make the Furysword of Awesome Trail Effects.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Zeliard said:
You should take the Iaito to Lightning +5 and upgrade a basic Scimitar or Falchion to +10 and use that to make the Furysword of Awesome Trail Effects.

Yup..thats what i did. I was actually debating whether or not to make iato into lightning iato. I figure ascending it is pointless so i might as well right? I got the materials to do so.

I wasted about 5 humanity on Quelaag. One of the first times I only summoned the NPC because it kept failing on real summons. I got her down to one last hit but she killed me and then the NPC killed her. I got a free humanity but the Chaos Queen was still alive. Two other unlucky times she one shotted me right in front of real people who I summoned. Embarrassing. I can say towards the end of those last couple fights I really started to understand her move set.

After the fight I joined the Chaos covenant and gave her two humanity, not sure why yet.

And also I got cursed and am worried i'll be stuck with half life for awhile.

Zeliard

odin toelust said:
was i supposed to lose damage when i took my Iato to lightning? will it get better at +2,3 etc?

You must have a very high DEX rating for your Iaito +10 to have lost damage when going to lightning.

I rerolled my character to focus on DEX, after hearing From as looking at rebalancing scaling weapons to better compete with the elemental cheese. Using an Iaito + 14 now, haven't gotten the Slab yet to go all the way.

Everybody's getting rolled this go-round, whooped Douche McBag and Smough in the first attempt and now have awesome lion armor. Yeah.

In regards to Lost Izalith: I heard that an intern at From designed that level, so that may explain the complete bullshit levels going on there.

frequency: Off topic but props for the baller Leanne avatar.

JVIDICAN

Thagomizer said:
Gravelord Nito is a bad ass mother fucker.
I was expecting him to be bigger. lol.
It would have been nice if From made him a more interesting/challenging boss instead of just filling his chamber with giant skellies and calling it a day. :p

Whoever said NG+ was hard . . . uh?????

Rolled through everything including the first boss in like 10 minutes. That was hours the first time. We'll see how long it takes me to ring the first bell. Not gonna play past Anor Lando this time, but hoping to make it back to that awesome part.

Traded my Skull Lantern for a Ring of Fog. Watch out!

So far NG+ is easier than I expected - most things dying in one hit (SL73, mix of weapons upgraded - +lightening/+fire, raw, divine, scaling, etc). Sorta funny how fast I finished Undead Burg/Parish considering how long it took me the first time. Think I might re-roll a new character soon and try to keep his SL a little lower.

Souls also come /very/ fast, deiced to swing by the forest for some PvP - first time really going out of my way for it in Dark Souls and had fun. Won a few, lost a few - had a close 2v1 fight. I love turning into a shrub as soon as I see the invasion message and jumping out at people as soon as their back is to me :p But even without trying, I ended up with enough souls to level up 5 times if I wanted to (haven't spent them yet).

I also did some PvP in the last zone before beating the boss - some guy kept doing a lag back-stab on me - but I never lost any health, whats up with that? I had the animation, heard the crunch, saw the blood splatter - but my HP didn't trip at all. He kept using humanity to heal during the fight also - was rather satisfying when my killing blow on him was a back-stab :p

Zzoram

Sullichin said:
If I kill the
chaos covenant spider lady
for her firekeeper soul will I lose access to warp to her bonfire?

I think you can still warp you just can't rest there anymore. Not sure how upgraded our flask can even get.

I'm at +4 and all my bonfires are still lit.

Sullichin said:
If I kill the
I believe the guide says you will lose the ability.

BeeDog

Sullichin said:
If I kill the

You can warp to but not from that bonfire.

EDIT: beeeeaaaateeeen

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm wondering, what's the best light and medium armor for a caster? I've been using the Gold Hemmed set for a while now, but I feel like I should be moving on to something better. Also, I haven't been able to find a better shield than the spider shield (that I can properly use anyway), so any recommendations on that end would be helpful.

Zeliard

Gr1mLock said:
Yup..thats what i did. I was actually debating whether or not to make iato into lightning iato. I figure ascending it is pointless so i might as well right? I got the materials to do so.

Well that's the thing. Right now it's a better idea to go Lightning instead of DEX scaling because the balancing is sort of screwy and will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

We don't know yet how scaling will change with the patch exactly but take that into account when you decide. If you intend on going up to high levels anyway then taking an Iaito to +15 ultimately has a higher ceiling.

But for people who generally stick towards the more 'normal' levels, going elemental right now is much better which is why you're seeing so much of it.

odin toelust said:
SL 42 or somethin. I've been goin dex focus lol. Should i just take it back down and go the +15 route?

I dunno, I think you should check the damage ratings again. It's very doubtful you lost overall damage. A non-upgraded Lightning Iaito has 176 base damage and another 176 lightning damage on top of that. I think you need a pretty large DEX to match that. At +5 it becomes 242 + 246.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
I'm wondering, what's the best light and medium armor for a caster? I've been using the Gold Hemmed set for a while now, but I feel like I should be moving on to something better. Also, I haven't been able to find a better shield than the spider shield (that I can properly use anyway), so any recommendations on that end would be helpful.
Eagle shield (if you have 16 strength), Hollow Soldier's Shield (fully upgraded), or Silver Knight Shield are all good.

JVIDICAN

WheelHoss1 said:
Whoever said NG+ was hard . . . uh?????

Rolled through everything including the first boss in like 10 minutes. That was hours the first time. We'll see how long it takes me to ring the first bell. Not gonna play past Anor Lando this time, but hoping to make it back to that awesome part.

Traded my Skull Lantern for a Ring of Fog. Watch out!
I got to Anor Londo in under an hour on my new game +.
Screwed up Solaire and Logans event progression in the process though. :/

BeeDog

firehawk12 said:

Personally, I feel that the Eagle Shield is the best shield in the game since it's the lightest greatshield (thus it staggers A LOT of enemies). For a regular shield, the Silver Knight Shield is awesome when upgraded, since you can also parry with it. The big problem with it is that it rarely staggers attacking enemies, which can make it hard to backstab them.

NeededSleep

Just finished the game today, not sure i enjoyed the ending, but the game was a blast!.... Now im sad between this and xenoblade chronicles ive been extremely spoiled, not sure what to move onto next to play.

End game Soul level: 94
Equipment:
Gold-Hemmed Black Hood
Black iron armor+4
Black iron Gauntlets +3
Gold-Hemmed Black Skirt

Quellaag's Furysword +5
Tower Shield+11
Composite bow+10, just got the dark moon bow before finishing the game.

Zeliard said:
I dunno, I think you should check the damage ratings again. It's very doubtful you lost overall damage. A non-upgraded Lightning Iaito has 176 base damage and another 176 lightning damage on top of that. I think you need a pretty large DEX to match that. At +5 it becomes 242 + 246.

I'll check, but it will mean losing my lightning Iato!! Anywho here are my stats

Wanderer
SL: 48
Vit: 11
Att: 12
End: 22
Str: 16
Dex: 39
Res: 12
Int: 11
Faith: 8

Empirically i'm pretty sure i killed the lightning spear carrying fuckers more quickly w/ +10 Iato

Zeliard

odin toelust said:
I'll check, but it will mean losing my lightning Iato!! Anywho here are my stats

You can see how much your DEX is adding to the damage in the weapon's stats screen.

Edit: oh nm, you already made it. heh

Well just upgrade it to +5. If you want a solid unique weapon that has elemental damage and keeps DEX scaling, make the Furysword. That one also scales with Humanity.

frequency

AlphaDragoon said:
frequency: Off topic but props for the baller Leanne avatar.
Thanks!

Zzoram said:
I think you can still warp you just can't rest there anymore. Not sure how upgraded our flask can even get.

I'm at +4 and all my bonfires are still lit.

I think it goes up to +7

JVIDICAN said:
I was expecting him to be bigger. lol.
It would have been nice if From made him a more interesting/challenging boss instead of just filling his chamber with giant skellies and calling it a day. :p

Definitely a letdown after the prologue. At least he has awesome music.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Zeliard said:
Well that's the thing. Right now it's a better idea to go Lightning instead of DEX scaling because the balancing is sort of screwy and will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

We don't know yet how scaling will change with the patch exactly but take that into account when you decide. If you intend on going up to high levels anyway then taking an Iaito to +15 ultimately has a higher ceiling.

But for people who generally stick towards the more 'normal' levels, going elemental right now is much better which is why you're seeing so much of it.

I caved and went lightning. Got tired of the same ol. Besides i got enough weapons that get the job done.

Booshka

On my NG+++ I played a little backwards, went to New Londo Ruins right off the start and
drained
it, then I picked up the Very Large Ember. Then I ran to the Valley of Drakes, up the Forest and into the Undead Parish. Unlocked the Firelink Shrine elevator shortcut, and started that way. Almost forgot to grab the repair box, so I went back to Undead Burg and bought it. One-shotted the Taurus demon with a 3800 damage Plunging attack and kicked the ladder down.

I thought it was funny that I gave Andre the Very Large Ember before I gave him the Large Ember, I was gonna skip the Depths and most of Blighttown but I'll go down there for the Large Ember then bail. I'm just going to go through the Valley of Drakes via the Forest shortcut and come in the back way of Blighttown, screw the rest.

Zeliard said:
You can see how much your DEX is adding to the damage in the weapon's stats screen.

Edit: oh nm, you already made it. heh

Well just upgrade it to +5. If you want a solid unique weapon that has elemental damage and keeps DEX scaling, make the Furysword.

Got the fury sword. Also lost damage ha. I just need to get some humanity tho

Wouldn't +15 Iato end up better? I've only invested one chunk. I guess itt depends on the patch...

I'm just upset about going into the boss w/ weaker weapons ha

odin toelust said:
Got the fury sword. Also lost damage ha. I just need to get some humanity tho

Wouldn't +15 Iato end up better? I've only invested one chunk. I guess itt depends on the patch...

I'm just upset about going into the boss w/ weaker weapons ha

By time your getting an Iaito to +15 normal / +5 lightening - you should be nearing the end of your first play through. Snag up another in NG+ and upgrade it down the other path - why pick one when you can have both :)

I'm just leaving Blighttown now, where is the best place to go to cure a curse?

corrosivefrost said:
You never lose the ability to warp to a bonfire. Only to warp FROM it because you can no longer rest at it.
Yeah, read it again and it just says you lose the ability to rest and something about a shortcut later.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Zeliard said:
Man, magic sounds like fun this time around, especially with the Pyro stuff. Being able to walk around and just shit on everything from a distance. Like some walking Typhoon, just obliterating everything around you. Would be awesome for a God playthrough.

My spellcaster has a vastly easier time of things than did my pure warrior, that's for damn sure. I'm sure a part of that is the fact that I know the game far, far better than I did on my first run, but I'm also sure that a much larger part of that is the fact that sorcery is completely off the chain, I mean seriously.

Homing Soulmass alone makes sorcery-focused characters beastly, then you throw its big brother Crystal Homing Soulmass on top of that, along with the basic utility of the Soul Arrow line of spells, the one-shot devastation of the Soul Spear duo, the weapon and shield buffs (though, obviously, one of these is far more effective than it ought to be at the moment and if you use it in PvP you are a bad person), and all the stuff you never knew existed, like being able to nullify fall damage and Chameleon, my love of which has been previously documented, and it all adds up to something pretty freaking awesome.

rogerroger22 said:
By time your getting an Iaito to +15 normal / +5 lightening - you should be nearing the end of your first play through. Snag up another in NG+ and upgrade it down the other path - why pick one when you can have both :)

Good idea but i think I'm going for a ginormous sword wielding mage or cleric for my next playthrough

Zeliard

ixix said:
My spellcaster has a vastly easier time of things than did my pure warrior, that's for damn sure. I'm sure a part of that is the fact that I know the game far, far better than I did on my first run, but I'm also sure that a much larger part of that is the fact that sorcery is completely off the chain, I mean seriously.

Homing Soulmass alone makes sorcery-focused characters beastly, then you throw its big brother Crystal Homing Soulmass on top of that, along with the basic utility of the Soul Arrow line of spells, the one-shot devastation of the Soul Spear duo, the weapon and shield buffs (though, obviously, one of these is far more effective than it ought to be at the moment and if you use it in PvP you are a bad person), and all the stuff you never knew existed, like being able to nullify fall damage and Chameleon, my love of which has been previously documented, and it all adds up to something pretty freaking awesome.

Hahaha yeah it does sound pretty appealing in its own way. I'll definitely try a magic playthrough at some point.

And Chameleon, lol. Perhaps one of the greatest spells in RPG history.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
odin toelust said:
Good idea but i think I'm going for a ginormous sword wielding mage or cleric for my next playthrough

I can personally vouch for the immense satisfaction of being a mage with a ginormous sword. It is every bit as neat in practice as it is in concept.

UrbanRats said:
Assisted my brother in his playthrough.. so ehm.. the red dragon
fucking flew away before i could cut off his tail
, wtf?!
Like flew flew away or is having a hissy fit on the bridge about his boo boo?

Zeliard said:
Hahaha yeah it does sound pretty appealing in its own way. I'll definitely try a magic playthrough at some point.

And Chameleon, lol. Perhaps one of the greatest spells in RPG history.

Tonight was my first time using it - I don't think I've chuckled so much being while being a shrub before. Or hell, ever being a shrub :p

*Soandso invades*
- turn into a shrub
*Soandso runs past*
- does a fitting emote, then proceeds to attack

Walking around as a shrub amused me also for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom