• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Booshka said:
On my NG+++ I played a little backwards, went to New Londo Ruins right off the start and
drained
it, then I picked up the Very Large Ember. Then I ran to the Valley of Drakes, up the Forest and into the Undead Parish. Unlocked the Firelink Shrine elevator shortcut, and started that way. Almost forgot to grab the repair box, so I went back to Undead Burg and bought it. One-shotted the Taurus demon with a 3800 damage Plunging attack and kicked the ladder down.

I thought it was funny that I gave Andre the Very Large Ember before I gave him the Large Ember, I was gonna skip the Depths and most of Blighttown but I'll go down there for the Large Ember then bail. I'm just going to go through the Valley of Drakes via the Forest shortcut and come in the back way of Blighttown, screw the rest.
this is fascinating

You know, I find it funny when I read most rants on why Dark/Demon souls 'sucks' - most of their points against the game, are the exact reasons why I love it.

I'm also a bit befuddled to why some people find it so hard - I'm not the best gamer, I tend to have a low tolerance for 'hard' games, hell - even not so hard games. I'm guilty of putting God of War on easy mode before - seriously.

There is just something about Demon's/Dark souls and how it clicks with how my brain works when approaching games. There does need to be a willingness to 'game the game' at times - but a large part of my enjoyment comes from figuring that sort of thing out.

Like, there is This Article, and almost every gripe he has about the game I either disagree with, or is a reason why I like the game instead of being maddended by it.

hteng

Banned
keep upgrading the Iaito to +15, the new patch will most likely nerf lightning enchantments anyway. Also you can always get a new Iaito in NG+.

edit:
also, with a pure physical weapon you can put fire or lightning stuff on it to buff the damage more.

i have a lightning sword spell from Gwyn i think, and i used it on my zweihander +15, i was doing 760s per hit on clams in crystal caves NG+.

great magic weapons probably works too.

maomaoIYP

Zzoram said:
where the heck is the soul bonus ring in tomb of giants?

It's between the 1st and 2nd bonfires, on a high ledge that you can see, but cannot walk up to easily.

You need to do a blind faith running jump past one of the dead bodies which gave an item pickup.

frequency

rogerroger22 said:
You know, I find it funny when I read most rants on why Dark/Demon souls 'sucks' - most of their points against the game, are the exact reasons why I love it.

I'm also a bit befuddled to why some people find it so hard - I'm not the best gamer, I tend to have a low tolerance for 'hard' games, hell - even not so hard games. I'm guilty of putting God of War on easy mode before - seriously.

There is just something about Demon's/Dark souls and how it clicks with how my brain works when approaching games. There does need to be a willingness to 'game the game' at times - but a large part of my enjoyment comes from figuring that sort of thing out.

Like, there is This Article, and almost every gripe he has about the game I either disagree with, or is a reason why I like the game instead of being maddended by it.
I think it's just a different type of game from what people are used to. You have to be patient and cautious your first time through Dark Souls. If you rush it, you'll die. It's not a reflex/dexterity/twitch game like a lot of the popular games today are.

I also have a very hard time with games like God of War. Everything is so fast and there's so many buttons and combos and everything. In this game I just have to be careful. I don't have to worry about combos or reacting really fast or anything like that. So I too find Demon's/Dark Souls to be easier than a lot of other games on the market that other people seem to choose to play hard on while I have a hard time on easy sometimes.

EDIT: That last sentence I wrote was terrible and ran on but I'm too lazy to fix it :p

I did a test.

I did 68 damage per hit to the lightning spear wielders outside giant w/ my lightning Iato, and 146 with Iato +10.

I am playing a completely unpatched version of the game btw, not sure if that matters

linko9

Man, I've got some serious burn in from the HUD (plasma TV)... that's how you know you've been playing this game a lot.

Zzoram

odin toelust said:
I did a test.

I did 68 damage per hit to the lightning spear wielders outside giant w/ my lightning Iato, and 146 with Iato +10.

I am playing a completely unpatched version of the game btw, not sure if that matters

what enemies are those? they may be lightning resistant

mollipen

Sullichin said:
If I kill the
chaos covenant spider lady
for her firekeeper soul will I lose access to warp to her bonfire?

Don't bother trying to reverse your hollowing at any bonfires, because you've obviously already lost all your humanity! (;__;)

Zzoram said:
what enemies are those? they may be lightning resistant

The ones right before the archers.
same guys who fly you over? And, if so, why are they always falling to their deaths?

also other enemies in that area. I'm starting to think the resistance is the case as i do 176 base and +115 slash, which is of course lower than the 176/176

Dresden

odin toelust said:
same guys who fly you over? And, if so, why are they always falling to their deaths?

also other enemies in that area. I'm starting to think the resistance is the case as i do 176 base and +115 slash, which is of course lower than the 176/176
I'm pretty sure enemies who use lightning tend to be lightning resistant.

Dresden said:
I'm pretty sure enemies who use lightning tend to be lightning resistant.

odin toelust said:

just to nitpick ha

Zzoram

Anor Londo is a mostly lightning resistant area, avoid lightning there.

Duke's Archives and Crystal Caverns are magic resistant, so avoid sorcery there.

It turns out silver armor has lightning resistance. That figures me=dumbass.

Anywho, me and my renewed +10 Iato are hoping for good things in the patch

I just solo'd Quelagg for the first time at SL 37, Holy Shit that was fucking intense!!! =D

Should I proceed forward to get to the nearest bonfire? I don't wanna eat it and lose 45k souls Ive earned.

24FrameDaVinci said:
Can someone tell me how to get that NPC to fight with you for Quelagg?
Unhollow yourself at the bonfire. Go right and run around in circles near the water wheel and eventually she will invade your world. Kill her and then when you get to fog wall before Quelaag you can summon her.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
24FrameDaVinci said:
I just solo'd Quelagg for the first time at SL 37, Holy Shit that was fucking intense!!! =D

Should I proceed forward to get to the nearest bonfire? I don't wanna eat it and lose 45k souls Ive earned.
It's right there, no enemies.

hteng

Banned
odin toelust said:
It turns out silver armor has lightning resistance. That figures me=dumbass.

Anywho, me and my renewed +10 Iato are hoping for good things in the patch

don't worry about it, you can always put on the fire or lightning sticky white stuff to make it even more powerful.

Zeliard

24FrameDaVinci said:

There's an
illusonary wall in the back of Queelag's lair that leads to a bonfire (a particularly useful one as you can warp to it later). Say "yes" to the egghead you meet there.

There's also a shortcut back up to Firelink not far from there.

shidoshi said:
Don't bother trying to reverse your hollowing at any bonfires, because you've obviously already lost all your humanity! (;__;)
Daaaaaaang.

There are two down the stairs from that point 24FrameDaVinci.

Gave the first blacksmith one of the soul?/Embers? All I knew is he said he could make something out of it. I gave it to him and went back later and still nothing. Whats up with that?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
shidoshi said:

At least he's angling to commit murder most foul to upgrade his Estus Flask, unlike some of the people who've publicly plotted homicide in hopes of getting someone's armor.

Not to excuse the appalling bloodlust on display or anything, but adding another +1 to your flask is at least a marginally less shallow motivation than wanting to play dress-up with equipment that will go straight into storage after equipping it once.

Aselith

rogerroger22 said:

I'm slightly confused by his point about abusing mechanics. If you don't like cheating, don't cheat. I played through the whole game without abusing AI to make enemies walk off cliffs and making enemies despawn (?). The only enemies that fell off cliffs were the ones that I kicked the hell off a cliff (and Taurus Demon but that wasn't my fault, he commited suicide.)

Just because other people do it and consider it fair game doesn't mean you automatically have to...but then this was coming from a guy that used cheat codes in simple RTS games. If he doesn't like he's cheating, why does he always do it?

UrbanRats

Quote said:
Like flew flew away or is having a hissy fit on the bridge about his boo boo?
He landed on the bridge, my brother
ran to safety to the next bonfire (across the bridge) and then gone to the point where there's Solaire, later in the game (that little altar to the right), and from there we literally saw the Dragon took off and fly away in the horizon, i couldn't believe it.
So far we've killed the boar etc etc, and still no dragon, i think he's gone forever.
Basically i prevented my brother from picking up the Drake sword, while wanting to help him, damn.. he's gonna have an hard time with the Capra. :\

sixghost

ixix said:
At least he's angling to commit murder most foul to upgrade his Estus Flask, unlike some of the people who've publicly plotted homicide in hopes of getting someone's armor.

Not to excuse the appalling bloodlust on display or anything, but adding another +1 to your flask is at least a marginally less shallow motivation than wanting to play dress-up with equipment that will go straight into storage after equipping it once.
I would really like to use Solaire's armor, but I just can't bring myself to do the deed.
can you get his sword/armor if he goes hollow and you kill him?

maomaoIYP said:
You need to talk to Eingyi, he's the infected dude just after Quelaag in the hidden room for the Chaos Servant covenant.

He gave it to me lol. He was blocking my path to that bonfire so I slashed him, he has a sliver of health left

Looks like I'll have to come up with the 114k to get absolved :(

maomaoIYP

24FrameDaVinci said:
Hmm I cant seem to get through the illusory wall in the room after Quelaag's lair. Hit it with my sword and shield and no dice. Do I need a key?

No key required, you're probably hitting the wrong wall. It's in the room where there's a large circular plate on the ground in the center.

toasty_T said:
He gave it to me lol. He was blocking my path to that bonfire so I slashed him, he has a sliver of health left

If you're just gonna skip the Chaos covenant you can just kill him, he'll drop a few of the cure. If you wanna get absolved, but want to get the cure first, there's 2 pieces in the Painted World of Ariamis, in the attic of the 2nd building that you can enter.

I just found my new farming place in the Tomb of Giants, right before the boss fight with all the skeleton babies. Someone told me that this place was good for farming humanity, but it's also a decent place for farming souls. Equip gold/silver serpent ring and the ring of the evil eye and you're set.

Unfortunately, I had to unequip the ring of favor and protection. I didn't realize how much of a boost it gives to your HP and stamina until I unequipped it :(

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
sixghost said:
I would really like to use Solaire's armor, but I just can't bring myself to do the deed.

If you know how to save him and intentionally don't it's no different from killing him yourself.

That aside, the answer is yes.

toasty_T said:

If these threads weren't so huge I'd be inclined to go through them and tally up the tales of NPC brutalization to find out whether Laurentius or Eingyi is the most frequently murdered Dark Souls character.

That aside, you need an Egg Vermifuge to cure it. The dudes covered in eggs can drop them, and there's at least one guaranteed one that you can find in the world that I can recall off the top of my head. If you just depopulate the entrance to the Demon Ruins a few times you should get one in reasonably short order.

Sarcasm

Speaking of hitting people I hit some dude near start that wants you to join some covenant. Liek knight or white....

I think he is the dude who teaches miracles, will I be on his blacklist later? All he does is ask about joining the covenant.

JVIDICAN

Painted guardian swords are awesome. A rank Dex scaling, awesome moveset, the upgrades actually use basic titanite shards and they can be turned into elemental weapons if desired. No twinkling titanite required. <3

sixghost said:

yes you get the armor after that fight.

Well finally got the souvenirs... a pain in the ass to get all of them, my strategy was go to kill the 4 crow men and then use the blue orb on my way back (didn't want to spend homewards, and cant use miracles) also couldn't equip the ring because I was using the serpent ring and the favor ring (the one that breaks if you remove it). Invading people without them knowing, make things... interesting.

My advice, dont use the blue orb on the first bonfire, most of the people that you get to invade are the ones that just wait for revenge phantoms, and if you keep using the stone there, you will probably end up fighting the same guy.

hteng

Banned
ixix said:
If you know how to save him and intentionally don't it's no different from killing him yourself.

That aside, the answer is yes.

If these threads weren't so huge I'd be inclined to go through them and tally up the tales of NPC brutalization to find out whether Laurentius or Eingyi is the most frequently murdered Dark Souls character.

That aside, you need an Egg Vermifuge to cure it. The dudes covered in eggs can drop them, and there's at least one guaranteed one that you can find in the world that I can recall off the top of my head. If you just depopulate the entrance to the Demon Ruins a few times you should get one in reasonably short order.

the two headed snakes in darkroot forest drops the Egg Vermifuge, the garunteed drop is from painted world of ariamis.

Giard

Went back to the Undead Asylum, the
Stray Demon
is kicking my ass. Am I missing something huge by not beating him just yet? I already
picked up a Crest Shield, a doll and a Rusted Iron Ring.

hteng

Banned
Giard said:
Went back to the Undead Asylum, the
Stray Demon
is kicking my ass. Am I missing something huge by not beating him just yet? I already
picked up a Crest Shield, a doll and a Rusted Iron Ring.

you are missing a garunteed titanite slab for not defeating it.

sleepykyo

shidoshi said:

What is with you and the spider-ladies? I can understood Quelanna seeing as she just takes the humanity that others offer, but Quelogg had it coming.

Zzoram

24FrameDaVinci said:
Hmm I cant seem to get through the illusory wall in the room after Quelaag's lair. Hit it with my sword and shield and no dice. Do I need a key?

you're hitting the wrong wall then

Xanathus

Who wants to bet that FROM won't manage to get the 1.4 patch out before the end of October? I kinda don't want them to because some of the exploits makes getting the platinum trophy much easier.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
toasty_T said:
guise, how do I get this off my head?

How do I get one of those on my head? I've been trying to get myself purposely infected so I can buy toxic mist (for trophy purposes) but no dice.

Guys, i need your recommendations. I've been using the spider shield for quite a while now, and I would like to get a new one. I've hardly ever used the parrying ability so I thought maybe a heavy shield should be the next. I'm a thief and I like to be fast in combat, and I want something with 100% ph dmg reduction.

Any suggestions?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Also, regarding the shortcut to Lost Izalith.

If I leave the covenant, does it close or does it stay open forever once I unlock it (just got to Chaos Servant+2)?

JVIDICAN

vodka-bull said:
Guys, i need your recommendations. I've been using the spider shield for quite a while now, and I would like to get a new one. I've hardly ever used the parrying ability so I thought maybe a heavy shield should be the next. I'm a thief and I like to be fast in combat, and I want something with 100% ph dmg reduction.

Any suggestions?

Hollow soldier shield

bone_and_sinew said:
Also, regarding the shortcut to Lost Izalith.

If I leave the covenant, does it close or does it stay open forever once I unlock it (just got to Chaos Servant+2)?
Its open for the rest of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom