• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
bone_and_sinew said:
How do I get one of those on my head? I've been trying to get myself purposely infected so I can buy toxic mist (for trophy purposes) but no dice.
Do light damage to one of those egg guys and let them grab you... then, just wait for 5-10 minutes.

Ken

firehawk12 said:
Do light damage to one of those egg guys and let them grab you... then, just wait for 5-10 minutes.

You can also make sure you have it by being idle and seeing if your character scratches his head constantly.

bj00rn_

Banned
About the discussion about it's difficulty level:

For me all of this is really basic theory; One difficulty in a "hardcore" game can never ever be able to cater for all types of gamers. It quickly excludes a lot of people that otherwise WOULD enjoy it.

I understand the appeal of the "fear" of enemies that can chop you up in a split second and take everything away from you. It is very important in this game. But there are shades of grey between black and white.. because the fact is, Dark Souls is imbalanced for a majority of gamers really.

The way I solved it for myself was to grind grind grind my way to a certain level before I started exploring. I think I spent 10-15 hours grinding at Undead Burg before my stats were at my comfort level.. Some grinding is fine, but it shouldn't be necessary to grind and farm for three average single player games to make it tolerable for older gamers with a job and a family ;)

Anyway, I just have to say that this game has obsessed me like very few other games have.. And without considering any kind of technical babble; It is one of the best looking, and best (level) designed games I've played.

Xanathus

bone_and_sinew said:
How do I get one of those on my head? I've been trying to get myself purposely infected so I can buy toxic mist (for trophy purposes) but no dice.
You know those egg carrier dudes at the entrance to Demon Ruins? Aggro them by hitting them with a (very) weak attack and then just keep letting them hit you. One of their attacks is a grab attack where they stick you in the neck with a sucker or something. Let them do this to you several times then kill them. If you've managed to get infected, your character will scratch his neck when he's idling. Then just wait awhile.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
firehawk12 said:
Ah, so they have to grab you while they're still alive. I would kill them and let the grubs bite me since I thought that's how it worked.

Zzoram

bone_and_sinew said:

aggro an egghead and let the creature that comes out of their egg suck your head in

afterwards, your character will scratch his head at some point, before eventually growing an egghead

Zzoram

maomaoIYP said:
It's between the 1st and 2nd bonfires, on a high ledge that you can see, but cannot walk up to easily.

You need to do a blind faith running jump past one of the dead bodies which gave an item pickup.

any idea where to make the jump?

Zzoram

bj00rn_ said:
About the discussion about it's difficulty level:

For me all of this is really basic theory; One difficulty in a "hardcore" game can never ever be able to cater for all types of gamers. It quickly excludes a lot of people that otherwise WOULD enjoy it.

I understand the appeal of the "fear" of enemies that can chop you up in a split second and take everything away from you. It is very important in this game. But there are shades of grey between black and white.. because the fact is, Dark Souls is imbalanced for a majority of gamers really.

The way I solved it for myself was to grind grind grind my way to a certain level before I started exploring. I think I spent 10-15 hours grinding at Undead Burg before my stats were at my comfort level.. Some grinding is fine, but it shouldn't be necessary to grind and farm for three average single player games to make it tolerable for older gamers with a job and a family ;)

Anyway, I just have to say that this game has obsessed me like very few other games have.. And without considering any kind of technical babble; It is one of the best looking, and best (level) designed games I've played.

Yep, difficulty is self made in the Souls games based upon what level you choose to play the game at.

Some people stay very underleveled all game, beating it at like SL20, while others go above SL100 their first time through.

rogerroger22 said:
So far NG+ is easier than I expected - most things dying in one hit (SL73, mix of weapons upgraded - +lightening/+fire, raw, divine, scaling, etc). Sorta funny how fast I finished Undead Burg/Parish considering how long it took me the first time. Think I might re-roll a new character soon and try to keep his SL a little lower.

Souls also come /very/ fast, deiced to swing by the forest for some PvP - first time really going out of my way for it in Dark Souls and had fun. Won a few, lost a few - had a close 2v1 fight. I love turning into a shrub as soon as I see the invasion message and jumping out at people as soon as their back is to me :p But even without trying, I ended up with enough souls to level up 5 times if I wanted to (haven't spent them yet).

I also did some PvP in the last zone before beating the boss - some guy kept doing a lag back-stab on me - but I never lost any health, whats up with that? I had the animation, heard the crunch, saw the blood splatter - but my HP didn't trip at all. He kept using humanity to heal during the fight also - was rather satisfying when my killing blow on him was a back-stab :p

Where were you leaving your summon sign in the forest? About to be there SL 92.

Xanathus

Zzoram said:
any idea where to make the jump?
Know where the skeleton archer is after Patches? There's a corpse hanging off the edge of a cliff right behind him. Just drop down from there, don't jump.

Booshka said:
On my NG+++ I played a little backwards, went to New Londo Ruins right off the start and
drained
it, then I picked up the Very Large Ember. Then I ran to the Valley of Drakes, up the Forest and into the Undead Parish. Unlocked the Firelink Shrine elevator shortcut, and started that way. Almost forgot to grab the repair box, so I went back to Undead Burg and bought it. One-shotted the Taurus demon with a 3800 damage Plunging attack and kicked the ladder down.

I thought it was funny that I gave Andre the Very Large Ember before I gave him the Large Ember, I was gonna skip the Depths and most of Blighttown but I'll go down there for the Large Ember then bail. I'm just going to go through the Valley of Drakes via the Forest shortcut and come in the back way of Blighttown, screw the rest.

Got to love the fellow addicts out there.

Zzoram

Xanathus said:
Know where the skeleton archer is after Patches? There's a corpse hanging off the edge of a cliff right behind him. Just drop down from there, don't jump.

thanks, will do next time im in the area farming white chunks

Grinchy

Banned
JVIDICAN said:
Painted guardian swords are awesome. A rank Dex scaling, awesome moveset, the upgrades actually use basic titanite shards and they can be turned into elemental weapons if desired. No twinkling titanite required. <3
Yep I've been using one as my left handed weapon for a while now. Just got it to +10 recently too. I don't get to do the flips and stuff with it in the left hand but I like it quite a bit.

One other thought. Don't sleep on Divine Weapons. I roll with a +8 Divine Claymore, and it it basically a sword that hits for 200+ with a close to 200 magic attack. Yes, it's best on Undead, but it's awesome on all the Undead Knights and other types of enemies not resistant to magic.

All swords have their weaknesses, even fire and lightning. For me, after playing Demon's Souls with two maxed out Fire weapons, I liked the cool precision of my Claymore for my tank. I'll say this: New Game Plus has been WAY easier with this character than it was with my cheester mage/bowman/swordsman hybrid. Tanks unite!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I love my washing pole + 10. Looks so bad ass. Gonna upgrade it to 15 when i get the chance..had one pvp encounter and the reach really made a huge difference.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
WheelHoss1 said:
One other thought. Don't sleep on Divine Weapons. I roll with a +8 Divine Claymore, and it it basically a sword that hits for 200+ with a close to 200 magic attack. Yes, it's best on Undead, but it's awesome on all the Undead Knights and other types of enemies not resistant to magic.

All swords have their weaknesses, even fire and lightning. For me, after playing Demon's Souls with two maxed out Fire weapons, I liked the cool precision of my Claymore for my tank. I'll say this: New Game Plus has been WAY easier with this character than it was with my cheester mage/bowman/swordsman hybrid. Tanks unite!
You silly person, you should of made it occult. From as far as I can tell occult does bonus damage to living things. I was slaping Gywn for like 600 plus a roll attack

mollipen

sleepykyo said:
What is with you and the spider-ladies? I can understood Quelanna seeing as she just takes the humanity that others offer, but Quelogg had it coming.

...I have some weird fetishes.

But really... how do we know that Quelaag "had it coming"? She sees one (or more) strange people invading her lair with weapons and armor and whatnot, and for all she knows, they may kill her sister if they get far enough.

Ah... it seriously took me forever to beat
Tomb of the Giants
... ridiculous. I would either die by the bosses hands, which I might add is a terrible fight and completely stupid. I'm sorry, but
having to drop down a massive hole is a terrible way to start the fight, as it already puts you at a disadvantage by taking off half of you health. Throw in 3 small skeletons and eventually 3 large skeletons if you happen to get tossed around in the back, and you have yourself a bullshit fight.
Or... I would get killed by almost constantly invading players.

Of course, I took to the closest bonfire in the
Tomb of the Giants
and kindled the flame so I had at least 15 Estus Flasks +3 going into the fight. Almost every single time I went in there as a human, I was invaded and killed almost instantly by massively overpowered invading characters who would almost always one-hit kill me with magic or by using that damn invisible ring so I can't target them and then just run around and play chicken until they kill me. Do keep in mind that even if you are right beside a bonfire and someone invades, you can't rest there. After far too long, I finally summoned some help and we moved on. Got to the entrance for the 4th fight and I found another summon sign. So, I summoned him while the other guy just took out the
small skeletons.
We moved in and the two guys absolutely laid waist to the
Nito
in about a minute with some pyromancy.

Don't get me wrong... I am glad we won the fight because I was starting to lose patience, but holy shit is magic overpowered. Like, seriously. It happens in a boss fight and it happens when I get invaded. Usually I get hit once and die or someone just poison gases the damn area and then hits me with a giant AOE fireball and kills me in one hit. I can't even get close to a lot of the pyromancers...

Zeal

Banned
Not trying to advertise, but if anyone needs any help with the game whatsoever, I have created a brand new 720p streaming channel to bring the Gaf DS community together. Drop by and hang out with us and take part in our DS marathon. Much respect. Peace.

www.twitch.tv/zealgaf

Zee-Row

Banned
Where do I go next after I kill the Demon ruins
Centipede
? I've already killed
Seath
and the Tomb of Giants boss.

Sarcasm

Zeal said:
Not trying to advertise, but if anyone needs any help with the game whatsoever, I have created a brand new 720p streaming channel to bring the Gaf DS community together. Drop by and hang out with us and take part in our DS marathon. Much respect. Peace.

www.twitch.tv/zealgaf

I say hello

-MonthOLDpickle

Zeal said:

www.twitch.tv/zealgaf

It's a real fun channel Zeal. I'll see you there. ;)

Zzoram

Zeal said:

www.twitch.tv/zealgaf

livestreams are always awesome

when are you playing your marathon? now until? or do you take sleep breaks?

RyanDG

Booshka said:
Well...fuck. I was trading items with Snuggly when I come back from a load and immediately fall off and die. I come back and can't find my bloodstain, if there even is one. I had 200K souls and 26 Humanity on me. Goddammit

Anyone know where your bloodstain goes? I was standing directly on the nest when I Quit and re-loaded, not sure how I fell off, it's happened before, but my stain was right next to the nest.

Take the crow to the other side and see if it left the stain on the nest.

LukeSmith

Anor Londo's Archer Twins was the first time (since Capra Demon) that I felt like the game was a bit unfair. It probably cost me somewhere around 45k souls between the lengthy-ish clear back to these two and the repeated deaths once I got to them.

If you're interested in a reasonably easy way to get past them that I ended up discovering through a painful amount of trial and error, I spoilered it below:

Bring Poison Arrows and a bunch of regular arrows (have your Dex higher than 12, mine was 19), arrange them both in your quiver. Once you see the Two Archers you can take potshots with your Regular Arrows at the Archer on the right until you've lined up your aim.

You'll know you're hitting him because you'll see a blueish flash on his armor when your arrow hits him. Then change to your poison arrows, fire two of them and you should start to see the poison tick away his life at a tune of 3 damage per tick. Just wait it out. Once the right archer is dead, run up to where he was and go around the corner.

Wait a sec and then see how the other archer isn't paying attention to you. Fire two poison arrows at him and wait behind the giant column where you can see his health tick away. Then go collect his gear and the Soul of Hero below him.

Zeliard

There is an easier - or at least quicker - way to take them out which is to just sprint up the right side and engage the archer on the right in melee. You'll probably take a spear in the back from the guy on the left but you'll be at the top then so it won't knock you off. When you're in melee range of the archer on the right, the one on the left can't shoot you. Then you have the space to individually kill them or knock them off.

Problem people seem to have is that if you go up on the left side you aggro both archers.

le.phat

Oracle Dragon said:
You'll have the drake sword until you either get the lightning spear from Sens Fortress, or until you get a stat up to 30-35+ and upgrade a weapon to +3/+4 that scales with that stat.
Bs, with 20 faith my divine mace did more dmg then the drake sword. And since i did the garden before capra it was available really early to me.

Zeal

Banned
Zzoram said:
livestreams are always awesome

when are you playing your marathon? now until? or do you take sleep breaks?
yeah lol. i'm playing now and will stay up all night probably until 7-8AM EST. Then I will be back online later that day at night.

my schedule is so fucked up right now that I'm just taking advantage of it by streaming and having fun.

Zzoram

Zeal said:
yeah lol. i'm playing now and will stay up all night probably until 7-8AM EST. Then I will be back online later that day at night.

my schedule is so fucked up right now that I'm just taking advantage of it by streaming and having fun.

will you be talking during your stream?

is this NG+ or a new character or a speedrun or what? also, are you enabling 240p for low bandwidth?

Booshka

RyanDG said:
Take the crow to the other side and see if it left the stain on the nest.
That would have been good advice a few hours ago lol. I just moved on. At least it allowed me to play more risky and try some interesting paths in the beginning of this playthrough. I probably wouldnt have sprinted through New Londo Ruins with 26 humanity on me.

Really overwhelmed by now at NG+; not that it's balls out difficult, but it's just frustrating with the damage enemies do to me. I just went and tackled clearing out new londo ruins so I could get the very large ember, not sure if I have the oomph to tackle 4 kings solo this time... and I just have no motivation to go after the other 3 large souls. I suppose I could do Demon's Ruins/Lost Izalith first, since I have the shortcut this time and it would cut down on the timeframe for the area.

That's actually not a bad idea; even though I don't need the red slab, I can go do the catarina side quest then maybe travel down to ash lake so I can get another titanite slab. TotG and Crystal Caves have the 2 other slabs I need to finish out the rest of the weapons trophies. :\

Crystal Ring Shield is my new favorite shield. Combined with any high damage weapon. I should have made this shield earlier. Took out Logan and many others in one shot. Really like his big hat. Now what's the highest damage weapon?

Booshka

zerokoolpsx said:
Crystal Ring Shield is my new favorite shield. Combined with any high damage weapon. I should have made this shield earlier. Took out Logan and many others in one shot. Really like his big hat. Now what's the highest damage weapon?
Black Knight Great Axe +5 for Strength characters.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
shidoshi said:
...I have some weird fetishes.

But really... how do we know that Quelaag "had it coming"? She sees one (or more) strange people invading her lair with weapons and armor and whatnot, and for all she knows, they may kill her sister if they get far enough.

Also for all she knows they may be selling cookies. Being armed and armored doesn't necessarily imply hostility, considering her house is in the middle of a poisonous swamp filled with endless swarms of insects, toxin-spitting blowgunners, giant leeches, poo-collecting boulder-hurling giants, and fire-breathing I'm-not-entirely-sure-what-they-ares. For all she knows you're from the Izalith High School Alumni Association just looking to catch up on old times, tell her about the upcoming Class of '81 Reunion, and drop off a newsletter.

But does a fond "How do you do?" even cross her mind, let alone pass her lips? No. She waltzes in naked as the day she was born turned into an abominable chimera of human and insect and just straight starts stabbing people, setting shit on fire, and puking all over creation without saying a word. She's a violent, unstable, dangerous exhibitionist who is wholly incompatible with civil society. In a kinder world perhaps she could get the help she clearly needs, but this world we're working in here's a lot of things, but kind ain't one of 'em.

ixix said:
Also for all she knows they may be selling cookies. Being armed and armored doesn't necessarily imply hostility, considering her house is in the middle of a poisonous swamp filled with endless swarms of insects, toxin-spitting blowgunners, giant leeches, poo-collecting boulder-hurling giants, and fire-breathing I'm-not-entirely-sure-what-they-ares. For all she knows you're from the Izalith High School Alumni Association just looking to catch up on old times, tell her about the upcoming Class of '81 Reunion, and drop off a newsletter.

But does a fond "How do you do?" even cross her mind, let alone pass her lips? No. She waltzes in naked as the day she was born turned into an abominable chimera of human and insect and just straight starts stabbing people, setting shit on fire, and puking all over creation without saying a word. She's a violent, unstable, dangerous exhibitionist who is wholly incompatible with civil society. In a kinder world perhaps she could get the help she clearly needs, but this world we're working in here's a lot of things, but kind ain't one of 'em.

ROFL. :)

Giard said:
Went back to the Undead Asylum, the
Stray Demon
is kicking my ass. Am I missing something huge by not beating him just yet? I already
picked up a Crest Shield, a doll and a Rusted Iron Ring.

BLEED DAMAGE IS YOUR FRIEND. :)

Jhoan

I finally got it yesterday. I just stopped playing it because the skeleton warriors are giving me hell in the beginning so I gave up. How do I defeat them? I'm rolling with the Thief class if it helps. I tried using the knife 2-handed, then switch to the shield but they like to gang up on me and it doesn't help that they've parried and stabbed me a few times already.

Donthizz#

Jipan said:
I finally got it yesterday. I just stopped playing it because the skeleton warriors are giving me hell in the beginning so I gave up. How do I defeat them? I'm rolling with the Thief class if it helps. I tried using the knife 2-handed, then switch to the shield but they like to gang up on me and it doesn't help that they've parried and stabbed me a few times already.

Stay away from the skeletons early game...

Zzoram

Jipan said:

You're not supposed to fight those skeletons until the second half of the game. First noobie mistake (quite a common one).

Jipan said:
So I'll just run away from them and collect any items/souls from the bodies. Will do.

Sure, suicide run to grab some items. It's not a big deal to lose souls at this stage in the game, you barely have any.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Donthizz# said:
they will follow you and kill you,

But that's barely even an inconvenience. And if you can get back to the bonfire fast enough you can reset them before they enact brutal vengeance for your kleptomania.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom