• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

With a starting Thief you can kill the skellies with your Bandit's Knife. Pull one or two at a time and backstab and/or riposte them. They'll be done in no time. They don't offer any souls but they stay dead till you go to a bonfire, plus it's satisfying to kill them that early. :>

2AdEPT

IrishNinja said:
oh my god i hate these fucking archers in ando londor.

i'm trying this shit but it's not working. dude on the right takes his sword out, even stabs me, i walk back over to the middle ledge that i ran up, and boom, he's back to sniping me again.

i need him dead. i don't care what he's carrying, i just dont want to see him again till NG+.

Are people still having probs with these guys? My first strtegy (force) didn't work when I finally got there becasue my faith was too low and it didn't move squat.....so this is how I finally .....and consistently do it:

use the lightning spear, wolf ring for poise, eagle shield for stability...hold shield and stab at same time with small stabs....he falls or dies before you...other guy doesn't interrupt with high poise.

Almak

Zeliard said:
There is an easier - or at least quicker - way to take them out which is to just sprint up the right side and engage the archer on the right in melee. You'll probably take a spear in the back from the guy on the left but you'll be at the top then so it won't knock you off. When you're in melee range of the archer on the right, the one on the left can't shoot you. Then you have the space to individually kill them or knock them off.

Problem people seem to have is that if you go up on the left side you aggro both archers.
The way I did it was just run up to the archer on the right until he went into melee and just run back. When he starts chasing you he almost always falls off and if not he's pretty easily taken down once separated from his friend.
Didn't even bother with the second guy on the left at that point, just ran for it. Don't think I was hit once.

Zeliard

Almak said:
The way I did it was just run up to the archer on the right until he went into melee and just run back. When he starts chasing you he almost always falls off and if not he's pretty easily taken down once separated from his friend.
Didn't even bother with the second guy on the left at that point, just ran for it. Don't think I was hit once.

Yeah the guy on the left is unnecessary to mess with at all unless you want to snag the bit of loot behind him. Forgot what it was though; don't think it's anything too great, probably a soul consumable.

Once you enter melee range the Black Knight archers pull out their sword and shield to throw down. You have less space to maneuver when you're fighting them in that one section but between simply blocking and striking back when there's an opening you can take them down easily enough.

Almak

Zeliard said:
Yeah the guy on the left is unnecessary to mess with at all unless you want to snag the bit of loot behind him. Forgot what it was though; don't think it's anything too great, probably a soul consumable.

Once you enter melee range the Black Knight archers pull out their sword and shield to throw down. You have less space to maneuver when you're fighting them in that one section but between simply blocking and striking back when there's an opening you can take them down easily enough.
Had a hell of a time for a while there though as my first idea was to snipe them and apparently they are much better shots than I am and have arrows which can hardly be called that, more like they shoot spears. :/
Am at the Painted World right now and I have to say I'm really enjoying the aesthetic of that area. Some snow is refreshing to see. Feels like I'm a bit over leveled for this place at SL60 though. Heh, not that I mind. :)

Ill Saint

Made a new character, and I'm mulling over the directions to take it. Started as a thief for the fun of it, but finding it tough going at the moment. Just rang the first bell.

I'm thinking of going light gear, relatively light and fast weapon, and full-on magic / miracles. Anyone got some suggestions on gear, weapons and so on that I should search after, go and suicide run for or whatever? Any advice welcome!

glaurung

Can someone explain to me, what a good Poise threshold is?

Some gear I have can boost it up to pretty nice numbers, but I still cannot understand what the range is that I should be aiming for. Running with a DEX-based warrior, shield and spear - so poise is pretty important to me.

2AdEPT

bj00rn_ said:
About the discussion about it's difficulty level:

For me all of this is really basic theory; One difficulty in a "hardcore" game can never ever be able to cater for all types of gamers. It quickly excludes a lot of people that otherwise WOULD enjoy it.

I understand the appeal of the "fear" of enemies that can chop you up in a split second and take everything away from you. It is very important in this game. But there are shades of grey between black and white.. because the fact is, Dark Souls is imbalanced for a majority of gamers really.

The way I solved it for myself was to grind grind grind my way to a certain level before I started exploring. I think I spent 10-15 hours grinding at Undead Burg before my stats were at my comfort level.. Some grinding is fine, but it shouldn't be necessary to grind and farm for three average single player games to make it tolerable for older gamers with a job and a family ;)

Anyway, I just have to say that this game has obsessed me like very few other games have.. And without considering any kind of technical babble; It is one of the best looking, and best (level) designed games I've played.

I hear ya man...I am 40 years old with a gamer son.....but after being a pong and atari guy I JUST CAN"T STAND generation y and millenium complaints. That said, I just 'rage quit' my first dark souls character after being a diehard demon's 'dude' for the last three years. I just missed too many drops and one key vendor....levels mean squat without the key equipment for what you want to do with your style of play.

But there is no need to grind. For the regular gamer that wants to participate, what stops people from spending time on the wiki vs. grinding is beyond me...there are too many ways to make the game easier either by asking die hards like me on here or going on the wiki. PVP gives you enough souls....but leveling is not the most important thing....its key armour, and moreover WEAPONS. Demon's souls naked SL 1 run throughs are evidence that levels mean less than armour which in turn means less than weapon. The same is true for dark souls.

I just restarted after my rage quit as a pyro and joined the chaos covenant. With as little as 15-20 humanity, which you can amass by helping on boss fights, (queelag is my fav for pyro as she is right by the key vendor) i can now melt the face off most enemies by not only making a little lava on the floor, but lining the walls with it as well! I had the lightning spear and gold trimmed armour set only a few hours in and lord knows I used all this shit on blightown and I made a real special visit to capra demon .....love PVP, but spent a little 'lone time with capra on this restart! I am SL 30:

Taraus (solo with opening pyro gear)
----> run around graveyard getting winged spear is key
----> flip flop around using rolls and open 4 treasure chests at firelink
---> back door using master key to darkroot via drakes get moss and SL 10 or so.
---->get two awesome shields and good starting weapon (astora sword)
Gargoyles with friends
---> back door again to blightotwn but take rusty ring from asylum and
--->let giants fall off ledge for souls before heading down to bonfire, getting human, and --->getting to boss
Queelag with friends (must have friends)
----> get pyro shit together, give humanity, get gold trimmed set (use homeward bone from firelink loot and stay human if you wish!!!!
-----> go to sens for lighting spear

KICK ass !!! (especially on capra)

2AdEPT

glaurung said:
Can someone explain to me, what a good Poise threshold is?

Some gear I have can boost it up to pretty nice numbers, but I still cannot understand what the range is that I should be aiming for. Running with a DEX-based warrior, shield and spear - so poise is pretty important to me.
tough question as the wiki and guides don\t seem to have much on this. My impression is that it depends on who you are fighting.....light little farts won't interrupt you even when you first start the game, like the tree creatures in darkroot and their whipping branches usually interrupt my fire that I like to throw at them ...but with wolf ring, i..e. 40 poise they give me damage but don't interrupt. If you like extra poise but are a dex character, pretty much only option is to max out your ratio with havel's ring and wear wolf ring. Not sure that any combo will prevent someone like Smough from crashing down...but you can try!!!?!?! Dex characters may need to run away once in a while!!

seriously though, seems like poise is more important for casters than for a char like yours.....if you are melee, shield stability sounds more important as your attacks will generally be quicker than your enemies already....you just need to be able to block heavier dude's greatswords!

2AdEPT

Dresden said:
Man, I had no clue strong magic shield made you invincible (no doubt a bug).
I can never sort out my equipment hotkeys for shield magic as I am not magic user and have a boow usually. and pyro glove, and since its temporary have never even tried to exploit it...not really "invinciblle" if you think about it, but magic users always will have an edge in this game....I use it sparigly but can't avoid it either, as I amnot good enough at mellee!!!. :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
toasty_T said:
I got up to Priscilla, do I really have to kill her? She doesn't seem all that bad despite the fact that she's carrying a big ass scythe.

You can walk past her. But where's the fun in that?

Totalriot

Dresden said:
Man, I had no clue strong magic shield made you invincible (no doubt a bug).

Yeah, I couldn't believe it until I've tried it myself. I was amazed and went to kill the Firesage Demon using it. Then I felt ashamed.

2AdEPT

toasty_T said:
I got up to Priscilla, do I really have to kill her? She doesn't seem all that bad despite the fact that she's carrying a big ass scythe.
no she is optional and you can run on by....but if you killed the npc invader kirk, you can get an awesome gift as well as prisill's tail drop!

Papercuts said:
You can walk past her. But where's the fun in that?

I thought she was going to attack me before I left, but she didn't =/

2AdEPT said:
no she is optional and you can run on by....but if you killed the npc invader kirk, you can get an awesome gift as well as prisill's tail drop!

who's kirk? i haven't seen any npc invaders except for one in blighttown

maomaoIYP

2AdEPT said:

Kirk isn't in the Painted World, you're thinking of King Jeremiah.

Footos22

Playing NG+ as a human after going through it the first time as a hollow.
This game has gone from my game of the year so far to game of the forever.

got to iron golem and there was 2 summon signs, summoned both, raped him in less then 5 seconds.

In Anor Londo and i get invaded whilst sitting on 250000 souls. I wait at the bonfire i was about to use.

Get a message of "Haven't got all day, come at me"
so off i trot warily up the lift to discover 2 summon signs which both came through ok wielding a fuck off scythe and dragon greatsword.

No sign of invader. Get to the archers and there he is waving at me in between them. so off up the support i run like Aragon in return of the king. and from behind the pillars come my 2 bodyguards like the ghosts coming out the orc ship. He does the "come at me" gesture and as he takes a step forward in that gesture.......... he falls off the ledge. It was probably the funniest thing i have witnessed yet. Before i have a chance to taunt him he sends me a message simply saying "Fuck you".

GOTY

Insaniac

don't own a PS3 and i wanted to see a playthrough / LP of demon's souls, however the multitude of crap Playthroughs is phenomenal. Anyone know of any good LPs for this game?

Almak

I was thinking what I'm going to do about Priscilla, since I'm about half way through the painted world myself. Are there any other benefits to killing her I'm missing, other than
Soul of Priscilla and Priscilla's Dagger
? Because at this point I dont think I'm going to even bother with her. I already got more than I hoped for here (
2 dragon scales and a whole bunch of soul pickups
).

Xanathus

toasty_T said:
Guessing Jeremiah won't come out if you aggro Priscilla.

Ran through all of the Painted World as a human.
He's at the snow field with the cube cage things. Get all the way to the far edge.

bathala

Banned
trying to get the backflip ring.

I started wailing (4x) on Shiva, and he died. No ring. Do I have to wait for him to summon his guard?

gonna reload my other save file

Facism

bathala said:
trying to get the backflip ring.

I started wailing (4x) on Shiva, and he died. No ring. Do I have to wait for him to summon his guard?

gonna reload my other save file

Behind him there's a fog-ringed ninja. He has the ring. If he falls off the cliff and dies, reload that game afterwards and the ring should be waiting there for you.

About to go into the catacombs. Do I only need a divine weapon equipped.for this part? Can I use regular weapons on the boss and further down in the tomb of the giants?

bathala

Banned
Facism said:
Behind him there's a fog-ringed ninja. He has the ring.
yeah didn't see anybody else
well he was still talking when he died and waiting for someone else to attack, but nothing came. :S

So I guess I have to wait for him to start attacking for his body guard to appear?

EDIT: I'm at the swamp by the way

maomaoIYP

bathala said:
well he was still talking when he died and waiting for someone else to attack, but nothing came. :S

So I'm I guess I have to wait for him to start attacking for his body guard to appear?

He won't come out unless you specifically go behind the wall to look for him. He's just standing there, get the first hit in!

Facism

Phat Michael said:
About to go into the catacombs. Do I only need a divine weapon equipped.for this part? Can I use regular weapons on the boss and further down in the tomb of the giants?

Divine weapons are useful as it permanently puts down the skeletons, otherwise you have to kill the necromancers as you make your way through to stop them regenerating in the area. You can use regular weapons on everything. Once the necromancers are gone they will never respawn and all skeletons will never regenerate.

As for tomb of giants, bit of a spoiler about weapon choice and the boss:
You'll fight Nito at the end of the Tomb, and he ahs skeletons with him. If you don't take those skeletons down with a divine weapon they will respawn until you kill Nito. There are 3 normal skeletons and 3 ginat prick skeletons with him, but you can avoid the giant ones by not going near them

Facism

bathala said:

So I guess I have to wait for him to start attacking for his body guard to appear?

EDIT: I'm at the swamp by the way

AHHH. you need to be in the forest. Behind where Shiva usually stands, there's a ninja by the wall and cliff.

bathala

Banned
Ok saw him. thanks guys
Killed the ninja but got whooped by Shiva.

reloading older save file again...

in the swamps, he is behind the wall from shiva

maomaoIYP

bathala said:
Ok saw him. thanks guys
Killed the ninja but got whooped by Shiva.

reloading older save file again...

in the swamps, he is behind the wall from shiva

If you talk to shiva first he will move down to blighttown. When you fight Shiva there the ninja won't come out to join the fight, so you can safely kill shiva then the ninja.

Kyoufu

maomaoIYP said:
If you talk to shiva first he will move down to blighttown. When you fight Shiva there the ninja won't come out to join the fight, so you can safely kill shiva then the ninja.

Be a man and kill both at the same time!

bathala

Banned
Fought them at the same time then ran up the waterwheel platform. :p

So its still like fighting one on one. Both dead now.

thanks guys

maomaoIYP

Kyoufu said:
Be a man and kill both at the same time!

Wahaha, I actually though the ring was with Shiva and killed him first, before looking up the wiki. Probably would have shat my pants getting surprise attacked by a ring of fog ninja while fighting Shiva.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Quick question. If i warp from the bonfire towards the end of duke's will i be able to warp back? Im still not sure how the warping works

Finalow

Gr1mLock said:
Quick question. If i warp from the bonfire towards the end of duke's will i be able to warp back? Im still not sure how the warping works
you can't warp to any duke's archives bonfire but you can warp from all the bonfire.

Insaniac

Gr1mLock said:

no you won't. Warping lets you warp from ANY bonfire to only SPECIFIC ones.

Totalriot

Insaniac said:
no you won't. Warping lets you warp from ANY bonfire to only SPECIFIC ones.

Not to be a nitpick but there are at least two fires where warping does not work. I know of the one in the painting and the one in the Duke's Archives prison cell.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Well i got stuck at dukes cause i was a little too inquisitive, now Im at the damn caves and i have a feeling i shouldnt be doing this right now since i have both painted world and catacombs to go through.

Gr1mLock said:
Well i got stuck at dukes cause i was a little too inquisitive, now Im at the damn caves and i have a feeling i shouldnt be doing this right now since i have both painted world and catacombs to go through.

why not? i did PW and catacombs at the end of the game too. it doesn't matter.

Yo Gotti

Banned
So earlier today while kicking ass in the forest in NG+, I got invaded by a Stone Greatsword glitcher.

This guy invaded my game, ran up to me and immediately cast tranquil walk of peace with the sword. When he got close my health starting draining in pretty sizable chunks, the effect was pretty much like Toxic except maybe 3 times as fast. As soon as I realized what was going on I cast Iron Flesh, drank a Flask, walked up to him and did a 2 Handed jumping attack with a Black Knight Great Axe. 90% of his health was gone, he gets up and I hit him with a quick swipe to finish him off. 20,000 souls.

So the TWOP glitchers are not invincible :). The damage output was weak pretty and apparently they can't fight back while doing the glitch.

Carcetti

I made a friend in the game yesterday. It was amazing.

I invaded someone with my darkwraith but unfortunately he had two golden sunlight covenanters with him. Knew I couldn't take them all so I turned into a vase with sorcery and waited for them to pass. Too bad one of the golden spirits got in his head to smash the vase and they triple teamed me in seconds.

Afterwards I started PSN messaging with the guy I invaded (actually he sent the first message, it was quite friendly.) and we shared experiences and tips. Amazing.

Totalriot

finalozzo said:
i have 4 sunlight medals, does it mean that i need 30 of faith to join the warrior of sunlight covenant?

No, the number of sunlight medals does not reduce the faith needed to join the covenant. You get a faith reduction by 5 for every successful boss you helped killing as a blue phantom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom