• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
The_Darkest_Red said:
My goodness... maybe you were a little underleveled? I think I was SL80. But still, that is ridiculously strange. I got summoned at least 5 times in less than an hour.

I put my sign right at the bottom of the stairs but I'm guessing you did as well.

yes, i was farming chunks and weapons and had no luck there.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Johnlenham said:
Yeah but with 250 odd lightning def you would expect to not lose 4 1/2 bars of hp through a fully blocked atack would you? Nothing in this game seems to make any sense to me its totally f-cked.

You're probably using a bad shield. Some weapons do 200+ Lightning damage per hit, and if you're using a shield with 35% lightning defense, you're going to take a lot of damage regardless of blocking. Your defense stats are important for keeping you from getting 1 shotted but don't mean much against aggressive attacking.

le.phat said:
Bs, with 20 faith my divine mace did more dmg then the drake sword. And since i did the garden before capra it was available really early to me.

How? I'm looking at a +4 Astorias right now with 24 faith, it does 224 vs Drake Sword 200? The mace has a base of 91, and gets C (?) faith scaling from being divine, so you are looking at 178-182? So unless you have some pretty good str to go with it (25+) I don't see how it matches 200?

Lost Izalith sucks. Lucky I got the shortcut, but I still hate Crystal Cave more. If you have no idea where you're going. Its just cheap deaths in that stupid cave.

linko9

One more trophy to go... (all unique weapons). I think I just need one more weapon. I've never cared about trophies before, but I feel oddly compelled to get them all in this game... I put over 100 hours into Demon's souls and only have like 35% of the trophies.

soldat7

Game is exhausting. Didn't even play last night because I was too exhausted. 40 hours and halfway done, but loving it.

Any word on a release date for the patch?

orion434

Augemitbutter said:
took me one whole day to help enough people to join that covenant. i just put a sign in both lava zones for the bosses and did something else while waiting. pain in the ass.

Also trying to Farm Souvenir of Reprisal is annoying... I've only gotten 2 from the Crow Demons with 363 ( 11 Humanity + Covetus Gold Serpent Ring ) drop rate in > 100 kills. I really don't want to invade sinners... or even want one invading me.

Dyno

Got through The Depths and found the shortcut but OH BOY I am not ready for that boss.

Around what SL should you be before considering going back to the Asylum? Is going back part of the story in any way?

linko9 said:
One more trophy to go... (all unique weapons). I think I just need one more weapon. I've never cared about trophies before, but I feel oddly compelled to get them all in this game... I put over 100 hours into Demon's souls and only have like 35% of the trophies.

Grats man, I'm on the same stretch, just need the weapons and miracles.

How do you tell the difference between Sif weapons? +100 Divine, +100 Curse, +100?

As for miracles, I'm sort of out of options for stones of reprisal (I have 4) - how many do I need and can I farm them from an enemy? How many do I need for the covenant miracle (10)?

Dyno said:
Got through The Depths and found the shortcut but OH BOY I am not ready for that boss.

Around what SL should you be before considering going back to the Asylum? Is going back part of the story in any way?
There are some interesting tie ins with the story, yes. I would probably say you should be at least SL30 or so to do it somewhat comfortably (of course, "comfortably" doesn't mean much in this game), although it's certainly possible at lower SL's if you're feeling adventurous.

Chinpoko_Master said:
I just found my new farming place in the Tomb of Giants, right before the boss fight with all the skeleton babies. Someone told me that this place was good for farming humanity, but it's also a decent place for farming souls. Equip gold/silver serpent ring and the ring of the evil eye and you're set.

Unfortunately, I had to unequip the ring of favor and protection. I didn't realize how much of a boost it gives to your HP and stamina until I unequipped it :(

No need to unequip ring of the evil eye - just use humanities to heal if you start getting low HP. Unless you are itching to have them all in your inventory for later use - but at the end of an hour or two of farming, I had 30ish humanity on my character, over 40 in my inventory - used the ones on my character to get to level 2 in my covenant.

M.D

Would you recommend someone who's not sure whether he would like Dark Souls to play Demon's Souls first? It's pretty cheap so I it would be easier to spend money on that rather than paying a full price for Dark Souls and find out I don't like it

maomaoIYP

rayner said:
Also trying to Farm Souvenir of Reprisal is annoying... I've only gotten 2 from the Crow Demons with 363 ( 11 Humanity + Covetus Gold Serpent Ring ) drop rate in > 100 kills. I really don't want to invade sinners... or even want one invading me.

I farmed them on NG+ while at the same time searching for sinners using the blue orb. Each kill gave 2100 souls, it was basically levelling up heaven. I started with 2, and roughly 4 hrs later I had 11. Managed to kill 2 sinners. No humanity as well, just the gold ring.

M.D said:
Would you recommend someone who's not sure whether he would like Dark Souls to play Demon's Souls first? It's pretty cheap so I it would be easier to spend money on that rather than paying a full price for Dark Souls and find out I don't like it
I think that would be a fairly wise choice. The games are similar enough that if you don't like Demon's Souls you probably wouldn't like Dark Souls.

Yo Gotti

Banned
M.D said:

I played Demon's Souls earlier today for the first time in a while. It's a classic in its own right. It still feels great to play and looks great graphically.

IMO, If you really want to get the most out of Dark Souls, play Demon's Souls first. Dark Souls is no doubt in my mind the better game and the understanding of the systems you'll get from Demon's will make Dark that much more fun.

WheelHoss1 said:
Where were you leaving your summon sign in the forest? About to be there SL 92.

Was leaving my summon sign near the gate but never got summoned - just ran around as human killing things until I got invaded.

orion434

maomaoIYP said:
I farmed them on NG+ while at the same time searching for sinners using the blue orb. Each kill gave 2100 souls, it was basically levelling up heaven. I started with 2, and roughly 4 hrs later I had 11. Managed to kill 2 sinners. No humanity as well, just the gold ring.

How much HP do the Crow Demons have in NG+? I 1-hit kill them with Great Chaos Fireball + Crown of Dusk + Sorcery Ring, and I'm pretty good with a run to the top of the first building in the Painted World. I put my sign down... but people really stink on Pricillia.

MeBecomingI said:
Ah... it seriously took me forever to beat
Tomb of the Giants
... ridiculous. I would either die by the bosses hands, which I might add is a terrible fight and completely stupid. I'm sorry, but
having to drop down a massive hole is a terrible way to start the fight, as it already puts you at a disadvantage by taking off half of you health. Throw in 3 small skeletons and eventually 3 large skeletons if you happen to get tossed around in the back, and you have yourself a bullshit fight.
Or... I would get killed by almost constantly invading players.

Of course, I took to the closest bonfire in the
Tomb of the Giants
and kindled the flame so I had at least 15 Estus Flasks +3 going into the fight. Almost every single time I went in there as a human, I was invaded and killed almost instantly by massively overpowered invading characters who would almost always one-hit kill me with magic or by using that damn invisible ring so I can't target them and then just run around and play chicken until they kill me. Do keep in mind that even if you are right beside a bonfire and someone invades, you can't rest there. After far too long, I finally summoned some help and we moved on. Got to the entrance for the 4th fight and I found another summon sign. So, I summoned him while the other guy just took out the
small skeletons.
We moved in and the two guys absolutely laid waist to the
Nito
in about a minute with some pyromancy.

Don't get me wrong... I am glad we won the fight because I was starting to lose patience, but holy shit is magic overpowered. Like, seriously. It happens in a boss fight and it happens when I get invaded. Usually I get hit once and die or someone just poison gases the damn area and then hits me with a giant AOE fireball and kills me in one hit. I can't even get close to a lot of the pyromancers...

What level were you for this fight? I steam rolled Nito and was left thinking he was disappointingly easy - was high 60s/low 70s - dex build using Quelaags Fury Blade, no magic / no spells / didn't use crystal ring shield. Just walked right up to him, circled around spamming my R1 attack, pulling back just enough to let stamina regen and only had to heal once or twice.

rayner said:

i did that yesterday. 0 drops from crows so i started invading. if you invade, don't wear the ring, just use the orb. you'll fight glitchers if you go the ring route. took another day :(

Had my first tag team boss experience with Prescilla coz I was human and thought fuck it.

Poor girl got raped in 15 seconds. It was pretty anticlimactic tbh

zerokoolpsx said:
Lost Izalith sucks. Lucky I got the shortcut, but I still hate Crystal Cave more. If you have no idea where you're going. Its just cheap deaths in that stupid cave.

Lost Izalith does suck - wish I had opened up the short cut sooner.

Crystal Caves isnt bad, pay attention to the snow-flakes dropping - they will show you the path. Also, most of my times though players had left lots of messages marking out the paths.

M.D said:

Personally, I find Dark Souls to be easier and more accessible than Demon's Souls. I don't really get where/how people are finding Dark Souls to be harder. Initially I was thinking 'maybe I'm just used to Demon's Souls, thats why I'm finding Dark Souls easier' .. but starting a new character in Demon's, and finding things to be harder.

Both are great games, both are very similar - if you like one, you will probably like the other.

maomaoIYP

rayner said:
How much HP do the Crow Demons have in NG+? I 1-hit kill them with Great Chaos Fireball + Crown of Dusk + Sorcery Ring, and I'm pretty good with a run to the top of the first building in the Painted World. I put my sign down... but people really stink on Pricillia.

They have a lot, I was using a lightning washing pole +5, and that takes 5-6 hits to kill one. I also have 1000 health, and they 1 shot me with the diving grab. They do commit suicide a lot though, great for souls, bad for items.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
zerokoolpsx said:
Lost Izalith sucks. Lucky I got the shortcut...

Is the Chaos shortcut actually any faster back to the boss than from the bonfire tower in the lava-field? I'm not sure it is, but either way there's not much in it.

The one nice thing about Bed Of Chaos is that its a fight where your accessories dont really matter, so you can keep lava ring on and just rinse/repeat until you win.

The biggest help I found was using Flash Sweat to mitigate his flame spam on the third stage of the boss.

K' Dash

I went to the Catacombs yesterday and defeated Pinwheel, I explored a little bit and got some loot, killed the black knight and got the hell out of there, I need to get the sunlight maggot before I go to TotG.

I think I'll go to New Londo next :D I'm running out of areas to explore.

test_account

XP-39C²
3 questions :)

1) What is the best spell to buy from Logan?

2) For what spells does
Lingering Dragoncrest Ring
works best for?

3) Do you really have to go through all of
Sen's Fortress
again to get back to
Anor Londo
? Is there no shortcut?

zerokoolpsx said:

When do you have access to the shortcut? I believe I did what I need to do with the
Chaos Servant covenant. I gave the white lady 30 humanity and reach level 2 in the covenant. Do I need to complete the Demon Ruins first?

Clear said:
Is the Chaos shortcut actually any faster back to the boss than from the bonfire tower in the lava-field? I'm not sure it is, but either way there's not much in it.

The one nice thing about Bed Of Chaos is that its a fight where your accessories dont really matter, so you can keep lava ring on and just rinse/repeat until you win.

The biggest help I found was using Flash Sweat to mitigate his flame spam on the third stage of the boss.

Not that much shorter, just don't need to deal with clearing out a few of the dragon-asses first.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Felix Lighter said:
Did you finish the
New Londo Ruins
yet?
No ;_;

I'm guessing that's where bonfire proves as most important? or is there way to light it from there?

Right now I basically rest at the one near Andre the blacksmith, then warp to Firelink Shrine (I can warp there, but I can't interact with the bonfire itself).

bathala said:
Frampt or Kaathe?

I haven't talked to Frampt after getting the vessel
There a choice to make after acquiring the Lordvessel?

And who's Kaathe?!

linko9

we.are.the.armada said:
Grats man, I'm on the same stretch, just need the weapons and miracles.

How do you tell the difference between Sif weapons? +100 Divine, +100 Curse, +100?

As for miracles, I'm sort of out of options for stones of reprisal (I have 4) - how many do I need and can I farm them from an enemy? How many do I need for the covenant miracle (10)?

Cursed greatsword is the one I need (should take no time at all), so I'll report tomorrow. I actually just did the souvenirs tonight. 2 hours farming raven men. You just need to run into the courtyard, into the annex, up the stairs, and then hang a left, and you'll find 4 raven men. Kill, and repeat. You just need 10. I had 3 souvenirs already (
two from invading Lautrec
and one from trading in my pendant. I wanted to get another pendant,
but petrus refuses to kill Rhea on any of my playthroughs
). So yeah, that's annoying and takes a long time. I could never get the blue eye orb to work, and the covenant ring only ever summoned me once (and I got killt).

test_account said:
3 questions :)

1) What is the best spell to buy from Logan?

2) For what spells does
Lingering Dragoncrest Ring
works best for?

3) Do you really have to go through all of
Sen's Fortress
again to get back to
Anor Londo
? Is there no shortcut?

There is an elevator that you can open up near the boss. Near the Merchant, there is some stairs going down - at the bottom is a cage key, you need that to open up the lift. Once open, it takes you down to the first bridge when you enter Sens

bathala

Banned
Jinfash said:
There a choice to make after acquiring the Lordvessel?

And who's Kaathe?!
Kaathe is the opposite of Frampt I believed. also a primordial serpent. He explains more about the Lordvessel rather than Frampt just telling u wat to do
But to talk to him U have to go to New Londo and beat the 4 kings first.

Also u can join Darkwraith covenant

IrishNinja

1) do sunlight medals lower the 50 faith req to join the warriors of sunlight, or is it just the co-op helping beat a boss thing?
ps say the post above; i totally got them from Solaire.

2) the Ornstein and Smough fight - with the NPCs help most times, im handling Smough with my Lightning spear. the problem after that is super-Ornstein is rough, and ive go no real ranged means of bringing him down.
the blacksmith sells dragon arrows (i think these might be too slow to tag him from behind a pillar) and lightning bolts which did shockingly little damage to him, prolly because of his affinity for it. the only pyro i have is great fireball or whatever with its amazing 4 uses. am i screwed?

Finalow

and well, right now i don't know where i should help. at the final boss maybe? I tried to be summoned but nothing. lv. 135.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
M.D said:
For what it's worth, Demon's never clicked with me, whereas Dark Souls did almost immediately. For one thing, the first few areas in the game feel much more inviting.

IrishNinja said:
1) do sunlight medals lower the 50 faith req to join the warriors of sunlight, or is it just the co-op helping beat a boss thing?
ps say the post above; i totally got them from Solaire.

The sunlight medals are for after you join the covenant. Only-coop lowers requirements.

Jinfash said:
No ;_;

I'm guessing that's where bonfire proves as most important? or is there way to light it from there?

Right now I'm basically resting at one near the Andre the blacksmith, then warp to Firelink Shrine (I can warp next to it, but I can't interact with the bonfire itself).

It just adds an extra hassle. The Firelink Shrine bonfire is the closest bonfire throughout that whole area as far as I know.

Should I spend all 4 of my Humanity on myself when farming the rats to get more Humanity?

Will 4 Humanity make any difference in drops from he drops compared to just using 1 Humanity?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I had no problems with the caves. There were two straightforward invisible pathways with audio and visual clues and fellow players leaving messages to guide the way. It was over so quickly. Lost Izalith was just... just something else.

Rez said:
I had no problems with the caves. There were two straightforward invisible pathways with audio and visual clues and fellow players leaving messages to guide the way. It was over so quickly. Lost Izalith was just... just something else.

The only real problem is the path that turns but that one path is completely optional.

See You Next Wednesday said:
Should I spend all 4 of my Humanity on myself when farming the rats to get more Humanity?

Will 4 Humanity make any difference in drops from he drops compared to just using 1 Humanity?

Don't waste more than 1. There is a huge drop in your return on investment after using 1 humanity. Do you have the ring that increases the drop rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom