• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

test_account said:
3 questions :)

1) What is the best spell to buy from Logan?

2) For what spells does
Lingering Dragoncrest Ring
works best for?

3) Do you really have to go through all of
Sen's Fortress
again to get back to
Anor Londo
? Is there no shortcut?
Once you beat Anor Lando you gain te ability to teleport between a few key bonfires.

Totalriot

See You Next Wednesday said:
Should I spend all 4 of my Humanity on myself when farming the rats to get more Humanity?

Will 4 Humanity make any difference in drops from he drops compared to just using 1 Humanity?

Personally I don't think 4 humanity make this much of a difference. They boost the discovery to a mere 140(?), whereass using the Serpent's Ring boosts your discovery to 300.

Plus, there are much better places later (Baby Skelettons or Tentacle Guys).

test_account

XP-39C²
Zzoram said:
Once you beat Anor Lando you gain te ability to teleport between a few key bonfires.
Yeah, i just go that ability like 10 minutes ago or so :) Thanks regardless though! :)

I also bought the Homing Soulmass from Logan, it made it a breeze to beat the first boss in Anor Londo.
Ornstein only need 3 hits with it to die with my current Intelligence level (44 or something) and that Sorcerer Boosting ring.

StMeph

Is it possible for an invading Black Phantom to grief by killing NPCs?

I ask because I was invaded in Anor Londo in the main hall, and it occurred to me that he may have had access to the Giant blacksmith? Could he, if he wanted to be malicious, go instead to try and kill off NPCs?

Muddimar

For some reason I've never been able to talk to Logan. He just sits in Firelink Shrine and doesn't give me any options when I speak with him. Is there something I need to do to get him to talk to me?

Muddimar said:
For some reason I've never been able to talk to Logan. He just sits in Firelink Shrine and doesn't give me any options when I speak with him. Is there something I need to do to get him to talk to me?

I think you need to be at a certain INT level.

KAOz

Short bus special
finalozzo said:
i don't remember, why? =|

Because you need to get them online by beating the boss. Otherwise the requirement won't get lower.

IrishNinja said:
1) do sunlight medals lower the 50 faith req to join the warriors of sunlight, or is it just the co-op helping beat a boss thing?
ps say the post above; i totally got them from Solaire.

Nope. Only when you help other players to finish a boss. Sunlight medals are just used as a gift to offer.

2) the Ornstein and Smough fight - with the NPCs help most times, im handling Smough with my Lightning spear. the problem after that is super-Ornstein is rough, and ive go no real ranged means of bringing him down.
the blacksmith sells dragon arrows (i think these might be too slow to tag him from behind a pillar) and lightning bolts which did shockingly little damage to him, prolly because of his affinity for it. the only pyro i have is great fireball or whatever with its amazing 4 uses. am i screwed?

You are never ever screwed really. Maybe rethink your tactic? Focus on Ornstein first? Also, Lightning Spear doesn't do that much damage against them, since they are quite lightning-immune.
Focus on a really good shield, and endurance, and kick their asses.

StMeph said:

I ask because I was invaded in Anor Londo in the main hall, and it occurred to me that he may have had access to the Giant blacksmith? Could he, if he wanted to be malicious, go instead to try and kill off NPCs?
They would appear transparent to him and no. He couldn't attack them. Only you can. What they do is lure you to them and the invader hides behind the NPC. They use them as a shield.

Climb all the way out of blighttown
Notice the fire at
firelink
has gone out
Decide to go adventuring in new londo ruins anyway
fall into water and die
warp back to the bottom of blighttown.

I'd enjoy blight town if the framerate wasn't so terrible. Lot's of tension on those rafters.

Owensboro

StMeph said:

No. NPCs appear as shadows and cannot be attacked by either Blue or Black phantoms.

StMeph

Muddimar said:

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I think you need to be at a certain INT level.

You need 15 Int to be able to learn Sorcery from Logan.

hteng

Banned
StMeph said:

invading phantoms can't hit NPCs in your world.

scy

StMeph said:
You need 15 Int to be able to learn Sorcery from Logan.

On that note, what exactly causes the other trainer to sell Logan's spells? I'm assuming it's if Logan
runs off to the Archives and you didn't buy them all
but ... idle curiosity, I suppose.

Madrical

Banned
Almost given up on soloing bosses, so much easier to use one humanity and summon 2 people to help. I also hate that Blighttown is a sort of hub for multiple areas that you have to retread :\

we.are.the.armada said:
Grats man, I'm on the same stretch, just need the weapons and miracles.

How do you tell the difference between Sif weapons? +100 Divine, +100 Curse, +100?

As for miracles, I'm sort of out of options for stones of reprisal (I have 4) - how many do I need and can I farm them from an enemy? How many do I need for the covenant miracle (10)?

The easiest way for me to differentiate, besides item description, was the fact that one of the greatswords had 158 attack and the other had 120.

scy said:
On that note, what exactly causes the other trainer to sell Logan's spells? I'm assuming it's if Logan
runs off to the Archives and you didn't buy them all
but ... idle curiosity, I suppose.

When Logan abandon's him again, he'll have learned soul mass and soul arrow. And he offers to teach them to you, regardless of if you already bought them from logan. It's how I have 4 copies of homing soul mass.

scy

Madrical said:
Almost given up on soloing bosses, so much easier to use one humanity and summon 2 people to help. I also hate that Blighttown is a sort of hub for multiple areas that you have to retread :\

There's a bonfire after
Quelaag
that you can use. You can warp to it, too, and you don't need to go down there until you can warp anyway. The same applies for
Ash Lake
as well, though you never have to go there.

IrishNinja

ah, still need like 35 faith then, heh. balls.

KAOz said:
You are never ever screwed really. Maybe rethink your tactic? Focus on Ornstein first? Also, Lightning Spear doesn't do that much damage against them, since they are quite lightning-immune.
Focus on a really good shield, and endurance, and kick their asses.

i was thinking that too - i guess i can go after the Ornstein armor on NG+. ive got a Drake+4, gonna try that on him next time...but i did think Lighting Spear +3 or so was working on Smough.

i do need to switch up my shield, this grass one prolly isnt cutting it even at +5 because of it not protecting 100 on physical damage. still, i kinda rely on its stamina regen, and eagle shield's too heavy...wish idve put some points into the dragon one or something.
i also really really wish idve brought a bunch of poison arrows, that'dve done the trick on super-Ornstein i bet. gonna try him one more time with dragonbow just to see if i can make it work.

Sullichin

After killing O&S last night, I went back into darkroot and killed Sif, who I never tried before. Lol he was very easy as I was quite overpowered to fight him

So I can go to demon's ruins, catacombs, or new londo ruins... decisions, decisions. Oh shit, I'll go back to the asylum, never killed the boss

I plan on getting my lightning scythe up to +5. Is there a better similar weapon? I love it, just wondering if I'm already using my endgame weapon. Weapon upgrading seems so unbalanced. I got the demon's spear from the bats in anor londo, it seems like a rare drop, takes demon titanite to upgrade, and still doesn't do anywhere near the damage of my lightning scythe. There's weapons in my inventory that have huge STR requirements while doing pretty low damage compared to my scythe. I plan on upping my divine gargogyle halberd though, because that would help me in the catacombs, right? (haven't even gone there yet)

tokkun

rogerroger22 said:
Personally, I find Dark Souls to be easier and more accessible than Demon's Souls. I don't really get where/how people are finding Dark Souls to be harder. Initially I was thinking 'maybe I'm just used to Demon's Souls, thats why I'm finding Dark Souls easier' .. but starting a new character in Demon's, and finding things to be harder.

That is likely because Demon's Souls is doing a pure black world event until the end of this month, making the game considerably harder.

Sullichin

IrishNinja said:
ah, still need like 35 faith then, heh. balls.

i was thinking that too - i guess i can go after the Ornstein armor on NG+. ive got a Drake+4, gonna try that on him next time...but i did think Lighting Spear +3 or so was working on Smough.

i do need to switch up my shield, this grass one prolly isnt cutting it even at +5 because of it not protecting 100 on physical damage. still, i kinda rely on its stamina regen, and eagle shield's too heavy...wish idve put some points into the dragon one or something.
i also really really wish idve brought a bunch of poison arrows, that'dve done the trick on super-Ornstein i bet. gonna try him one more time with dragonbow just to see if i can make it work.

I was just determined to win this fight because I was so fucking sick of that minute long walk from the bonfire down the hall down the elevator up the stairs (I don't have the other bonfire kindled). I killed the fatty second, I had a very small amount of health and no estus. It was intense as hell, because even when I blocked his attacks my eagle shield only has like 75% lightning resistance so it was still chipping away at my health. I took it really slow, and did not take any chances when I had an opening. One hit with my lightning scythe, then I backed the fuck up. Two or more hits is possible for sure, but wasn't worth the risk at this point. You gotta stay the hell away from his AOE butt slam attack and when he charges the hammer, ideally try to get him to run into a pillar. If you're too far away from melee range when he's vulnerable, just try to close the gap, and use your judgement if you still have time to hit him or not. After a few of his attacks I was just patiently blocking and inching closer, eventually getting some hits in :p

Such an intense fight. I've had the most problems with Priscilla so far actually, I hated that invisible bitch.

Btw, my lightning weapon worked well on both of them. and I used fireballs, but not so much during the second half.

So i start my new game + only at SL 100 this time i will play the whole game online.
Edit i should note while this game is good it has whole bunch of problems and i think Demon Soul was better .

johntown

Banned
Sullichin said:
Such an intense fight. I've had the most problems with Priscilla so far actually, I hated that invisible bitch.
Just go back on the ledge......shoot an arrow or two in her and then the invisibility does not matter cause you can see the arrows in her even when she is invisible.

sixghost

Is there anyway to get the sunlight maggot helmet without giving 30 humanity? I've literally been saving humanity since the beginning of the game, and I maybe have 18 or 19.

Are there any other methods to light the Tomb of Giants? Using cast light would require an 8-9 point investment in INT and ATT, and I'd rather not waste points like that for one spell that wont be useful after that area.

The lantern would be enough for me, but that seemed kind of far in without any light.

Sullichin

johntown said:
Just go back on the ledge......shoot an arrow or two in her and then the invisibility does not matter cause you can see the arrows in her even when she is invisible.

I tried that in one of my many, many attempts to beat her. I was also never able to get her visible with pyromancy as many people suggested. Oh well, she's dead now! But for some reason I had more problems with her than O&S and the archers in anor londo.

EasyMode

sixghost said:
Is there anyway to get the sunlight maggot helmet without giving 30 humanity? I've literally been saving humanity since the beginning of the game, and I maybe have 18 or 19.

Are there any other methods to light the Tomb of Giants? Using cast light would require an 8-9 point investment in INT and ATT, and I'd rather not waste points like that for one spell that wont be useful after that area.

The lantern would be enough for me, but that seemed kind of far in without any light.
I didn't join that covenant or give up any humanity and was able to get the sunlight maggot. When you're in Lost Izalith, look for the titanite demon. Just beat him and continue past him, and you'll find a bunch of bugs along with a NPC
Solaire
event. One of those bugs drops the sunlight maggot.

scy

sixghost said:

Lantern, Sunlight Maggot, and Cast Light are the only options. You can get the Sunlight Maggot without 30 Humanity, it's just that this way will allow you to
save Solaire
. If you go through the zone normally, you can go around to where the maggots are and kill the red-eyed one for the drop. Just to note, it's JUST that Maggot that drops it and JUST the first time you're there will it spawn.

The Lantern works fine for the Tomb and it's not that far in. There's I think three Giant Skeletons you need to kill and the path down is basically a series of slides that are hard to miss even in the darkness.

Kyoufu

Sullichin said:
I tried that in one of my many, many attempts to beat her. I was also never able to get her visible with pyromancy as many people suggested. Oh well, she's dead now! But for some reason I had more problems with her than O&S and the archers in anor londo.

Best way to do it is a 3 hit combo with Quelaag's Furysword. She'll stagger and bam, its over.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Can you get back into the Forest Hunter Covenant if you leave it? I'm not sure how absolving your sins works with covenants. I'm currently in the Forest Hunter Covenant but I would like to leave to get the Gravelord Sword... but then I want to go back. And they made a huge deal about "Traitors will not be tolerated".

tokkun

Sullichin said:
Weapon upgrading seems so unbalanced. I got the demon's spear from the bats in anor londo, it seems like a rare drop, takes demon titanite to upgrade, and still doesn't do anywhere near the damage of my lightning scythe. There's weapons in my inventory that have huge STR requirements while doing pretty low damage compared to my scythe.

One thing to keep in mind about weapon upgrades that people often seem to ignore is that elemental weapons cannot be enchanted with resins or spells. I don't know the stat breakdowns in depth, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get more damage out of a +15 weapon with Crystal Magic Weapon than the +10 Magic version in some scenarios.

Kalnos

Banned
Mattdaddy said:
Can you get back into the Forest Hunter Covenant if you leave it? I'm not sure how absolving your sins works with covenants. I'm currently in the Forest Hunter Covenant but I would like to leave to get the Gravelord Sword... but then I want to go back. And they made a huge deal about "Traitors will not be tolerated".

Go to guy on top of Undead Parish church, pay Soul Level x 2000 for absolution, you're good to go.

Sullichin

Kyoufu said:
Best way to do it is a 3 hit combo with Quelaag's Furysword. She'll stagger and bam, its over.

Hm. Like I said, I beat her, but I do have Quelaag's soul. I should probably make the Furysword. Looking at the stats I can't tell if it will ever be better than my lightning scythe

anddo0

Wow the drop rate for the ghost blade is terrible. Only two female ghosts, and fighting those things is very annoying (NG+).

tokkun

Mattdaddy said:

I'm pretty sure you will not have problems simply switching covenants. I know people claim it gives you sin, but I have done it many times and have no entry in the Book of the Guilty. If you're paranoid, go to the guy at the top of the Church and use the option to abandon your current covenant before switching.

You do not have to pay to have your sins absolved like the previous poster mentioned. That is only necessary if you attack one of the covenant members.

Carcetti

Backfoggen said:
Wow at the framerate when using the Fire Surge spell. It's like seeing through time and space.

That's weird. I've been using fire surge a lot for farming and it doesn't affect my frame rate at all unlike Great Chaos Fireball.

So maxing out pyromancy certainly seems to make the game a lot easier. Most bosses seem quite susceptible to spamming great combustion,
Nito
in particular went down in seconds. I was attracted to it as my warrior character as it was not stat dependant and somehow my character slowly shifted to becoming increasingly pyromancy centric.

orion434

toasty_T said:
Can you move around freely between covenants if you leave via the the absolver dude?

As long as you don't attack them you can go back. Though if you leave a Ranked-up Covenant you will lose 1 rank if you rejoin.

Owzers

got all 4 lord souls but decided to go to the Painted World, i'm glad i did. Apart from being a bit simplistic in design, it's a lot more interesting than some of the crap levels i've been to lately.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm finished with Anor Londo and I've farmed/forged myself a couple of pieces of boss equipment, so I'm thinking now's a good time to tackle one of the
formerly gold-walled areas
. Where's a good place to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom