• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leunam

fuzzyreactor said:
so this thread will die come friday, nice mods.

game hasnt even been out a month

Didn't this OT hit OT2 before the game even came out in most places? I think the thread will be fine.

BeeDog

scy said:
It's really not all that good; I think most people use it due to the way it looks and the base DEF on it isn't bad.

Go into the room after
Quelaag
and down the staircase; one of the walls is fake (usually marked) and attack it. They're behind it along with a Bonfire.

Speak to Shiva in the forest and then go to Blighttown.

Thanks, that helped!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
scy said:
I've basically just come to accept that I can't stay under 25% in anything decent without using Havel's or NinjaFlip ring. :/

For the record, there's no
"teaching" Pyromancy. You get a Flame and you buy/find/are given the spells. That's it. The same for Miracles and Sorcery. He should provide you with a Flame and you can upgrade it and buy the spells from Quelana.

Right, she's the Covenant NPC (and isn't it 30 Humanity? 10 for Rank+1, 20 for Rank+2). But, yeah, GCF is from her and that's worth getting. Though, you still don't need the ring for that. Was more just talking about the whole getting a Flame and upgrading it thing. She's important for other things.
Yeah, except my endurance is still fairly low (20 or so), so I need Havel's to stay under 25% even with such lightweight gear.

I'll need to look into that covenant then. GCF sounds good but I hope I don't need to egghead to get it.

Abooie

Banned
That's the Crystal Caverns done. Fuck me.

Those Clams are now my most hated enemy in the game. The boss, 1st time, the clams, after 3 deaths I ended up just running past them. Fuckers.

scosher

Akuun said:
I use it because it's the best defense for its weight. I'm under 25% weight when I wear it and I love the movement boost I get. It's so easy to backstab people just by circle strafing and waiting for them to do something.

I actually don't like how it looks, and it bugs me how I haven't found any other good light armor since.

The thing is, Gold-Hemmed Black armor set is NOT the best light armor. In fact, almost all the starter equipment sets when fully upgraded trump it in all stats -- phys Def, fire Def, etc.

Tattered Cloth set particularly is really, really good at +10, and has the best Fire Def of all light armors, along with good poison resists. As for individual pieces, Dingy Robe +10 and Antiquated Skirt +5 are probably the two best light armor pieces, but combining the two is a bit overkill on your magic Def and curse resists.

I think the only reason you see a lot of people going for the Nazgul robes is cause they haven't bothered to upgrade their other armors, and the Nazgul robes are pretty decent straight out of the box. They get outclassed if you invest in other armors though.

johntown

Banned
ultron87 said:
Why is the Nazgul (gold-hemmed) armor so much better than everything else you find around then? It kind of annoys me to see everyone I summon wearing it.
Because it looks cool. I like to wear that with the witch's hat because I like to portray a dark wizard. I could care less about stats......I either wear that or the Crimson set. It just depends.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
scosher said:
The thing is, Gold-Hemmed Black armor set is NOT the best light armor. In fact, almost all the starter equipment sets when fully upgraded trump it in all stats -- phys Def, fire Def, etc.

Tattered Cloth set particularly is really, really good at +10, and has the best Fire Def of all light armors, along with good poison resists. As for individual pieces, Dingy Robe +10 and Antiquated Skirt +5 are probably the two best light armor pieces, but combining the two is a bit overkill on your magic Def and curse resists.

I think the only reason you see a lot of people going for the Nazgul robes is cause they haven't bothered to upgrade their other armors, and the Nazgul robes are pretty decent straight out of the box. They get outclassed if you invest in other armors though.
Damn, I may need to farm more upgrade materials, then.

scosher said:

I didn't really pay much attention to upgrading armor until I had the strategy guide and saw the end results of upgrading the various sets. Think most people get focused on upgrading weapons, and/or are put off by some of the sets needing twinkling twilight which is a bit of a pain to get.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
anddo0 said:
Lost 30 humanity, 183k souls to the 4 Kings and didn't recover my body 0_0

lol :(

Abooie said:
That's the Crystal Caverns done. Fuck me.

Those Clams are now my most hated enemy in the game. The boss, 1st time, the clams, after 3 deaths I ended up just running past them. Fuckers.

I just came across them in Ash Lake, they don't seem that bad lol

maomaoIYP

corrosivefrost said:
The damage output in my NG+ is insane; I die in 2 hits max from normal enemies... one of the damn ghosts manages to hit me with a swipe and it's like 20% of my health. If I get grabbed by a ghost at full health, I barely survive... I might have to try the suggestion about using crystal soul mass (and crystal soul spear... will have to use the dusk headgear instead of stamina boost, I guess... wonder if I could get away with bellowing dragoncrest instead of havel's ring as my 1 chosen ring for the fight...)

Is your shield upgraded? Your problem seems to be the lack of a good shield. What's more important in NG+ is not trying to survive hits, but using a shield to block everything blockable, and dodging everything else. If you're going with a medium shield, hollow soldier shield +15 is pretty much the best. It's better than almost everything else because at the +15 level it has the 2nd highest stability, and the magic/fire/lightning defenses are pretty decent. The only other shield I have upgraded is the black knight shield +5, simply for the 95% resist fire.

johntown

Banned
anddo0 said:
Wow......I would have had to turn the game off for awhile after that.

Why didn't you spend you souls before doing that?

Timber

Beat NG+. Difficulty level was all over the place. Four Kings and Seath were much harder than they were the first time around, Nito and Final Boss were LOL.

scy

g35twinturbo said:
I just came across them in Ash Lake, they don't seem that bad lol

I farmed ~20 some Twinkling Titanite in Ash Lake. It was terrible. I'm also probably rerolling this character, depending on how the patch works out.

I'll probably just glitch the Titanites; doing that farming session again kills my will to make a new character.

Edit: lol re-reading seems to not be about farming them but just killing them, oops. Still, my point stands on them :(

I run around with the Black Iron Set, except the helmet, to keep under 50% equip load. Everything is upgraded to +5. It's lacking in magic and lightning defense and I believe it has a stamina regen penalty but I love the way it looks. I just can't decide on what head gear to go with it. I usually wear a +9 Thief hood.

scy said:
I farmed ~20 some Twinkling Titanite in Ash Lake. It was terrible. I'm also probably rerolling this character, depending on how the patch works out.

I'll probably just glitch the Titanites; doing that farming session again kills my will to make a new character.

Seath's boss room is much better for farming Twinkling Titanite just due to bonfire proximity. That said, it is still unbearable.

ugh. even at level 400+ there are still fuckheads. someone invaded me in the tomb of the giants or whatever. he backstabbed me while i was fighting off two big skeletons. no warning, nothing. just came right out of nowhere and did it before i got to the big bonfire. gee, that was REAL fun.

anddo0

johntown said:
Wow......I would have had to turn the game off for awhile after that.

Why didn't you spend you souls before doing that?

I'm sl 137 so the 100+k doesn't bother me. But oh the humanity :(

scy

anddo0 said:

I forgot to re-equip the Abyss Ring and jumped down there. Was kind of funny, in retrospect.

I've been losing 30+ Humanity like once per day recently :/ I really need to pay more attention. Keep just "meh, farming it is easy" and half-ass my farming grinds, lol.

Mortrialus said:
Seath's boss room is much better for farming Twinkling Titanite just due to bonfire proximity. That said, it is still unbearable.

Yeah, I found that out after I did my Ash Lake farm session; was just stuck in a "I want to switch to Black Iron might as well get it done" thing. Went through the Archives for the first time not long after and nearly raged at the far, far better farming setup there :/

TommyT

So has anyone come to figure out which weapon upgrade path is best with scaling stats? Lightning XXXX seem to be the majority. I'm wanting to hit like a truck for melee and haven't really found anything to focus on so I'm curious as to what the best melee combination would be.

scy

TommyT said:
So has anyone come to figure out which weapon upgrade path is best with scaling stats? Lightning XXXX seem to be the majority. I'm wanting to hit like a truck for melee and haven't really found anything to focus on so I'm curious as to what the best melee combination would be.

Off-hand, Lightning will give you the best returns for the least investment. Enchanted (or Standard +15 + Crystal Magic Weapon) at 50 INT should outperform it ever so slightly with an A-scaling weapon. Faith with Sunlight Blade on a Standard +15 outperforms it as well, I believe (it beats out CMW as well, actually). Can get a little more out of them with a Crystal Weapon but repair issues.

Pure STR or DEX, I don't think anything does, though you can still sub in an imbue to try to get some more out of it.

Edit: Those assumptions with the imbues are assuming raising STR/DEX along with the INT/Faith, incidentally. I haven't seen numbers for base-line but it should still be rather close.

StMeph

TommyT said:

Lightning doesn't scale.

With scaling stats, you'll want:
- Normal +15 if you are mainly Str, Dex, or both
- Magic +10/Enchanted +5 if you are mainly Int (Magic has higher Str/Dex, Enchanted reduces Str/Dex and goes all-out Int)
- Divine +10/Occult +5 if you are mainly Faith (same as Magic/Enchanted, respectively, only Faith instead of Int)
- Some unique/boss weapons also have okay scaling.

But right now, before the new 1.04 patch changes the way weapons scale, you need pretty high stats (like 40+ or so in the relevant stat) to see a difference where scalar weapons outclass static elemental weapons.

FINALBOSS

Banned
scy said:
I forgot to re-equip the Abyss Ring and jumped down there. Was kind of funny, in retrospect.

I've been losing 30+ Humanity like once per day recently :/ I really need to pay more attention. Keep just "meh, farming it is easy" and half-ass my farming grinds, lol.

Yeah, I found that out after I did my Ash Lake farm session; was just stuck in a "I want to switch to Black Iron might as well get it done" thing. Went through the Archives for the first time not long after and nearly raged at the far, far better farming setup there :/

Farming humanity sucks...I just use the soul glitch to get the humanity :eek:

Zzoram

web01 said:
Moving to community already, that was quick.
Any other thread on Gaf ever get up to OT3?
Moving to community? That sucks. This thread is still getting new players interested. Without the exposure in Gaming, I fear for the worst.

scy

FINALBOSS said:
Farming humanity sucks...I just use the soul glitch to get the humanity :eek:

I'm trying to get more Slabs so I'm in the Tomb a lot. Run down to the tiny skeleton room with 30 Humanity + Gold Ring and kill the servants; swap to Covenant Ring to get summoned and just kill baby skeletons until it happens. I'm at 99 Humanity in inventory and nothing to do with it :/

Aeana

Zzoram said:
Moving to community? That sucks. This thread is still getting new players interested. Without the exposure in Gaming, I fear for the worst.
The community forum is where active threads go to die. Or to be more specific, it is where they dwindle down to impenetrable insular communities, which is pretty much the same thing. What you'll see happen is that now that the thread is moving to community, the people who care at this point will subscribe to the thread, and once it is moved, they will be the only ones left.

I really strongly disagree with this community forum initiative for OTs of games that are single-player-oriented, but in this case of Dark Souls it is especially weird because the game is so new.

The mods are always going on about how they want to foster discussion, but the result of moving this thread to community so soon will really do the opposite.

is it possible to be human for more than 5 minutes and not get invaded? its never happened to me. no matter what location i am or what level...i really dont see the fun in waiting around and invading people...why dont they just help ppl out? to me it just wastes my time playing this game if im about to get to a bonfire and then i get invaded and killed.

its so tempting to take this game offline because of it.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Phat Michael said:
is it possible to be human for more than 5 minutes and not get invaded? its never happened to me. no matter what location i am or what level...i really dont see the fun in waiting around and invading people...why dont they just help ppl out? to me it just wastes my time playing this game if im about to get to a bonfire and then i get invaded and killed.

Just don't bother with going human then. I love reading all the messages everyone reads.

And invading is so finicky it sucks.

People seem to invade me and I can't invade anyone. I tried for like 45 minutes the other day just for fun (haven't invaded anyone). It always seem to be japanese people invading me (you can tell because they always have dashes in their name).

anddo0 said:
80 humanity to rank up in Darkwraith? holy wow! guess I won't be getting the dark hand anytime soon.

The dark hand is a gift just for joining the covenant. Getting all the items from the covenant only requires 30 humanity.

scy

catashtrophe said:
Got my Falchion to a +10 and now its vanished from my list?

Whats all that about

You need to Ascend it ("Modify Equipment" option) next before it is back in the "Reinforce Weapon" list.

Volcynika

Phat Michael said:

I've been human a ton and only gotten invaded once.

They killed me :(

Also boooooooo at the move to Community. Boooooooooooo!

FINALBOSS said:
Just don't bother with going human then. I love reading all the messages everyone reads.

And invading is so finicky it sucks.

People seem to invade me and I can't invade anyone. I tried for like 45 minutes the other day just for fun (haven't invaded anyone). It always seem to be japanese people invading me (you can tell because they always have dashes in their name).

i only go human to kindle new bonfires really...thats why.

Zzoram

Aeana said:
The community forum is where active threads go to die. Or to be more specific, it is where they dwindle down to impenetrable insular communities, which is pretty much the same thing. What you'll see happen is that now that the thread is moving to community, the people who care at this point will subscribe to the thread, and once it is moved, they will be the only ones left.

I really strongly disagree with this community forum initiative for OTs of games that are single-player-oriented, but in this case of Dark Souls it is especially weird because the game is so new.

The mods are always going on about how they want to foster discussion, but the result of moving this thread to community so soon will really do the opposite.
Yep. The game is not even a month old and the OT is being banished. Not cool mods, not cool.

bitoriginal

I've slowed down with Dark Souls since I completed my first run. Anyone know if the patch is out yet on the Xbox, or if there is an ETA?

sixghost

scosher said:

It's easy to say the Gold hemmed set isn't the best, but you have to factor in how expensive it is to get a starting set like the Black Leather or Tattered Robes on par with the gold hemmed set.

You have to remember that you are upgrading 4 separate pieces in a set, and the starting sets only really overtake the gold hemmed at like +6 or +7. To upgrade 4 pieces to +6 costs something like 120,000 souls if you are buying all the materials from Andrei and the Sen's merchant.

Realistically you'll have some shards and large shards just from playing the game, but it will probably still cost something like 100,000 souls. Not to mention that it's not even possible to buy large shards until you are virtually 95% done with Sen's.

It might be possible to get the chest piece of a starting set to be better than the gold hemmed, but it's still going to be the best choice for most people unless they do some insane farming. You can get that set so damn early too. No way you are going to have armor that light, that strong right after ringing the second bell.

anddo0

Mortrialus said:
The dark hand is a gift just for joining the covenant. Getting all the items from the covenant only requires 30 humanity.

Good to know.. Looks I'll be doing some baby skeleton farming later, as I'm down to just 8 total humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom