• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

hteng said:
damnit, i'm not planning to go into NG++ :( at least i still have my fully upgraded black knight set.

Well, if you have all the Ember upgrades you want, I'd do a NG++ for Gravelord Covenant since it needs zones you haven't cleared for use. That's my plan down the road. Maybe.

Abooie said:
Wait, what. I lost the chance to get Havels ring on this run so I'm using the gold hemmed to stay below 25% and you're telling me there's a much better alternative?!

A lot of armor is better than Gold-hemmed, they just require you to upgrade them instead of sitting with the default. Gold-hemmed is just nice for the low weight it has with those stats. There's better weight-to-Defense ratio equipment, though you might be hard-pressed to stay under 25% with those (Royal Helm, Elite Knight Chest, Hard Leather Gauntlets, and Antiquated Skirt are the four best off the top of my head).

hteng

Banned
Abooie said:
Wait, what. I lost the chance to get Havels ring on this run so I'm using the gold hemmed to stay below 25% and you're telling me there's a much better alternative?!

most starting gear are pretty good if you manage to take them to +15, of coz you'll need tons of titanite chunks and slabs to do it.

the elite knight armor has a def rating of 93 at +15 and is probably the 2nd highest armor in the game behind smough's and havel's.

Zeliard

scy said:
Well, there's a different glitch for Twinkling Titanite:
Drop an item for Snuggly that trades for a Twinkling Titanite, quit to menu, reload file, drop the same item for Snuggly, pick up the Twinkling, quit to menu, reload file, and repeat. When you want to quit it, drop the same item for Snuggly, pick up the Twinkling, and then pick up that item.

Oh god this is tempting. Devilishly tempting.

But I will not give in!

corrosivefrost said:
wow. the game steals your orange charred ring when you go to NG+. :(

Haha understandable though since you get it as a boss drop that you need to progress. I figure you also lose the Covenant of Artorias.

So, does anyone know how to get back to the Firelink Shrine area from the Quelaag's Lair area. I've rung the bell, defeated the
Ceaseless Discharge demon
, and checked out the unlocked area (seems too hard for now), and want to get back to the Firelink Shrine area to do some other stuff. Is there a shortcut or some way back? Or do I have to trek all the way through Blighttown again?

How does one "lose the chance for Havel's ring"?

SUBZERO-08 said:
So, does anyone know how to get back to the Firelink Shrine area from the Quelaag's Lair area. I've rung the bell, defeated the
, and checked out the unlocked area (seems too hard for now), and want to get back to the Firelink Shrine area to do some other stuff. Is there a shortcut or some way back? Or do I have to trek all the way through Blighttown again?

Minimal blight town -- skirt the left edge when coming out of quelaag's domain to miss the boulder throwers; you'll see the giant water wheel; use it as an elevator -- there's a couple bugs, a couple mosquitos, and 3 trolls you can mostly sprint past on the way to valley of drakes where you cross the plank, unlock the tower door to new londo ruins, then take the elevator back up to firelink.

EasyMode

SUBZERO-08 said:
I would take the water wheel in Blighttown up -> valley of drakes -> new londo -> firelink.

scy

SUBZERO-08 said:

From the entrance to
Quelaag's Lair
, head out towards the bonfire in the swamp. Before you get there, you'll see a waterwheel to your left. Use that as an elevator to get up to the higher platforms and then climb to the top. Grab the key in the chest there and then exit out the tunnel. You'll end up in the Valley of the Drakes and pretty close to a locked gate that leads up to New Londo Ruins, right next to the elevator leading up to Firelink Shrine.

I suck at directions so sorry if that's confusing.

Abooie

Banned
SUBZERO-08 said:

Blighttown, up the waterwheel, follow the ladders up, defeat 3 heavies, into drakes, into new londo ruins, into Firelink.

It's not as bad as it sounds honest.

edit: lol, in tandem

scosher

SUBZERO-08 said:

There's a waterwheel you go up when you exit right from the swamp bonfire. Go up that and climb some ladders (watch out for the toxic blowdarts -- kill them if you must, as they also guard a firekeeper's soul), and you'll be at the shortcut to firelink (via the valley of drakes/new londo ruins, ie. the lower elevator that takes you to firelink shrine)

maomaoIYP

scy said:
Drop an item for Snuggly that trades for a Twinkling Titanite, quit to menu, reload file, drop the same item for Snuggly, pick up the Twinkling, quit to menu, reload file, and repeat. When you want to quit it, drop the same item for Snuggly, pick up the Twinkling, and then pick up that item.

WOAH. I have a character on NG++ that can still do this! 99 twinkling here I come!
Not that I need it, I'm probably never going to touch this character again.

Sooooo.......when are you gonna tell us how to glitch slabs as well?

EasyMode

You know, I really appreciate that From lets you break down chunks into shards. But I would love it if there was an NPC that you could feed chunks to get slabs.

Speevy

Banned
I beat Demon's Souls with the starting armor, but I think I'd have a little trouble this time.

If you're great at evading, you can go nude.

scy

maomaoIYP said:

Well ...

:/

At best, Chunks, and I don't think any of those are farmable trades. The only other items of note are Demon Titanite (Prism Stone) and Dragon Scales (Egg Vermifuge).

Quikies83

corrosivefrost said:
How does one "lose the chance for Havel's ring"?

Minimal blight town -- skirt the left edge when coming out of quelaag's domain to miss the boulder throwers; you'll see the giant water wheel; use it as an elevator -- there's a couple bugs, a couple mosquitos, and 3 trolls you can mostly sprint past on the way to valley of drakes where you cross the plank, unlock the tower door to new londo ruins, then take the elevator back up to firelink.
Where does this elevator come out in firelink shrine? I'm trying to get back down to Quelaags domain.. Imagine i'm standing in front of the firelink bonfire -- could you direct me :)

Speevy

Banned
EasyMode said:
You know, I really appreciate that From lets you break down chunks into shards. But I would love it if there was an NPC that you could feed chunks to get slabs.

His name is SLAAAAAB, he's in the desert.

Booshka

EasyMode said:
Feed 10 Chunks to have him poop out a Slab, if only.

scy

Quikies83 said:
Where does this elevator come out in firelink shrine? I'm trying to get back down to Quelaags domain.. Imagine i'm standing in front of the firelink bonfire -- could you direct me :)

Down the stairs to where the Fire Keeper is and then down the stairs there to the elevator. That's about it.

Edit: As for New Londo to Valley (the door is locked unless you opened it from the other side / have the Master Key, by the way), it's basically immediately to the right when you exit the stairs leading from the Elevator tower you came out of.

maomaoIYP said:
WOAH. I have a character on NG++ that can still do this! 99 twinkling here I come!
Not that I need it, I'm probably never going to touch this character again.

You could do the same if you had enough ascended pyro flames for red slabs. :lol

UrbanRats

Argh, so sick of fucking Seath.
Almost one shots me, it's immortal at the beginning, there are those damn shells, it fucking curses me AND the last bonfire it's BEFORE the damn bridges.
I feel like i hit a wall here, this part is not even fun, everytime i want to try again i have to walk thos goddam bridges again.
I'd go for tomb of the giants, but i'll have to do this anyway sooner or later.
So now i have to warp away from Duke's Archives to go get some purging stone and then all the way back..
fuck my life.
Uncharted 3 can't come soon enough.

scy said:
Down the stairs to where the Fire Keeper is and then down the stairs there to the elevator. That's about it.

Edit: As for New Londo to Valley (the door is locked unless you opened it from the other side / have the Master Key, by the way), it's basically immediately to the right when you exit the stairs leading from the Elevator tower you came out of.

Exactly.

If you're getting up from resting at the bonfire in firelink, the stairs down toward the firekeeper in the jail cell under the fire are on your right, near the crestfallen warrior. if you follow the stairs on the opposite side down, you'll get an elevator to new londo ruins (if you met rickert of vinheim for early game forging/repair/magic, you know where I'm talking about). There's a second tower there -- running up the steps there brings you to the locked door that needs the key from blighttown shortcut exit chest or the master key. Once there, across the plank bridge, into the cave and down the ladders. Have fun getting on the waterwheel going down! I die 50% of the time. :D

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
UrbanRats said:
Almost one shots me, it's immortal at the beginning, there are those damn shells, it fucking curses me AND the last bonfire it's BEFORE the damn bridges.
I feel like i hit a wall here, this part is not even fun, everytime i want to try again i have to walk thos goddam bridges again.
So now i have to warp away from Duke's Archives to go get some purging stone and then all the way back..
fuck my life.
I'm currently at Seath too.

all the bridges are straight and pretty wide, so it's not an issue once you can see where you want to end up

but holy shit I do pitiful damage against him. and have very little in the way of curse resist, and his attacks that deal damage (beam and tail thrash) are ravaging me. I think I'm gonna spend 30 minutes taking potshots at his side tentacles while running back and forth across the arena. I have no ranged :c

Quikies83

scy said:

Right, i've already unlocked the door to new londo from the valley of drakes.. I just couldn't remember how to get back down there in reverse order. Thanks a lot!

Yo Gotti

Banned
UrbanRats said:
fuck my life.

What
shells
?

I read plenty of times about people
getting cursed at Seath, but I never did, where exactly do you get cursed?

Anyway, to beat him just stay
FAR AWAY from his front, I mean literally try to guide him(he's blind) to the walls and stay near the opposite wall. He rarely ever makes it exactly to the center of the room. When you seem him wind his neck up for the sweep attack just run around his tails to the back and hack away. You can get 2-3 swings in before he starts flailing his tails around. From there just run directly away from him again, wait it out and repeat.

kyubajin

Right when I though the game couldn't open up more it did in an incredible way. I got the
Lordvessel
and apparently I have to slay all the demon bosses from the opening sequence.

Finally escaped the Duke's Archives and
rescued the daughter of that onion knight
but I don't know where he is now.

Made it to the Crystal Caverns but dunno how to get past
the butterfly
, also I have no idea whatsoever on how to kill
Sheath the scaleless
as I don't have any decent ranged weapons.

Don't know how to approach the
giant Hydra that almost insta kills me with magic bolts

Also made it to the Tomb of Giants but since I can't see shit I abandoned the place in favour of Demon Ruins and got the
amazing ember
, the boss however pwned me hard.

So that only leaves New Londo to explore... but haven't discovered a way to fight the ghosts yet...

I'm SL 53 with 20 VIT, 26 END, 28 STR, 15 DEX, 12 FTH and 2 attunement slots for Heal and pyromancies. Using Havel's Ring and that Physical defense up ring, Dark Iron set, Eagle shield, Raw +5 Halberd. I'm aiming for a high STR build so I can use all those massive boss weapons.

Any non-spoilery hints on what to do?

UrbanRats said:
fuck my life.

(1) wear the ring to supress your sound, he's blind. Makes it easy to sprint around him and smash the crystal.
(2) if you don't care about the tail weapon, just torch his ass with great fireball.
(3) the bridges are straight shots -- if you cross them once to know where they start and end, it takes less than 3 minutes to get from the bonfire to the boss room; also, run *around* the clams unless you want souls/farming.

Until I realized how easy the invisible bridges were, I was pissed and wanted to snap the game... once I realized how easy the path in there really is, I didn't care, I was more aggravated trying to lop off seath's tail.

kyubajin said:
Right when I though the game couldn't open up more it did in an incredible way. I got the
Lordvessel
and apparently I have to slay all the demon bosses from the opening sequence.

Finally escaped the Duke's Archives and
rescued the daughter of that onion knight
but I don't know where he is now.

Made it to the Crystal Caverns but dunno how to get past
the butterfly
, also I have no idea whatsoever on how to kill
Sheath the scaleless
as I don't have any decent ranged weapons.

Don't know how to approach the
giant Hydra that almost insta kills me with magic bolts

Also made it to the Tomb of Giants but since I can't see shit I abandoned the place in favour of Demon Ruins and got the
amazing ember
, the boss however pwned me hard.

So that only leaves New Londo to explore... but haven't discovered a way to fight the ghosts yet...

I'm SL 53 with 20 VIT, 26 END, 28 STR, 15 DEX, 12 FTH and 2 attunement slots for Heal and pyromancies. Using Havel's Ring and that Physical defense up ring, Dark Iron set, Eagle shield, Raw +5 Halberd. I'm aiming for a high STR build so I can use all those massive boss weapons.

Any non-spoilery hints on what to do?

With the hydra, you strafe dodge until you get to the water and it will stop shooting water rockets at you. Then you melee it's ass to death. Just make sure you have a good shield with 100% physical block.

Ghosts require being cursed, having a cursed weapon, or transient curse item.

There's no reason to fight any butterfly in crystal caverns. And you can fight Seath with hit and run if you use the item I put in my spoilers above.

Abooie

Banned
UrbanRats said:
fuck my life.

Man you're at exactly where I was a couple of hours ago. Those fecking Shells, I hate them,.

Just run. Seriously, if you know where the bridges are you can get to the boss in 2 mins without fighting anything. Take the left path round the clams and into the mist. Destroy the regen crystal, hit it's left and right tails and roll the fuck out when it does it curse attack.

Seriously, my life became a hell of a lot easier when I just RAN!!!

Aeana

After a couple of attempts, I found it really easy to make it down to Seath, without fighting anything or without failing at the bridges. The path I took had me crossing 3 of the bridges, far away from most enemies.

Booshka

UrbanRats said:
fuck my life.
Put on Curse Resist Gear, Oolacile's gear has the best I have seen. Then put on the Slumbering DragonCrest Ring to be silent. 2 Hand a Weapon with the Grass Crest Shield on your back, and run around in circles attacking his limbs and avoiding his attacks. When he is weak, go for the gut and wail on him to finish the fight.

Quikies83

corrosivefrost said:
Exactly.

If you're getting up from resting at the bonfire in firelink, the stairs down toward the firekeeper in the jail cell under the fire are on your right, near the crestfallen warrior. if you follow the stairs on the opposite side down, you'll get an elevator to new londo ruins (if you met rickert of vinheim for early game forging/repair/magic, you know where I'm talking about). There's a second tower there -- running up the steps there brings you to the locked door that needs the key from blighttown shortcut exit chest or the master key. Once there, across the plank bridge, into the cave and down the ladders. Have fun getting on the waterwheel going down! I die 50% of the time. :D
Perfect, thank you sir.
Yes I've died on that water wheel multiple times - lol gotta time the roll just right.

Dresden said:
If the clams follow you into the boss battle just let
Seath
kill them for you. :lol

Follow me INTO? how is that even possible?

Booshka said:
Put on Curse Resist Gear, Oolacile's gear has the best I have seen. Then put on the Slumbering DragonCrest Ring to be silent. 2 Hand a Weapon with the Grass Crest Shield on your back, and run around in circles attacking his limbs and avoiding his attacks. When he is weak, go for the gut and wail on him to finish the fight.

If they never got that, they probably have either dingy clothes or crimson set -- either are excellent for curse resist. I still keep the crimson set on me for this reason.

What is the best weapon to go after when beginning the game? I like swords but I keep getting my ass handed to me and I feel as though I am going into places unprepared.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ixix said:
If you know how to save him and intentionally don't it's no different from killing him yourself.

That aside, the answer is yes.
You can
SAVE Solaire?
? What did I do wrong?

scy said:

Just tried this, I had done all the trades except blooming moss for twinkling x2. Moss farming time!

On New Game++, so far, not NEARLY the jump as much as New Game+ was. Capra Demon, for some reason, was a pain, and ran around a lot more...but still feel quick (Trust me guys having trouble with him the first time...he is MUCH easier when you get used to fighting more of them later in the game.)

One question, while I was grinding last playthrough in New Londo for that damn Ghost Blade, I notice a few 'red' Darkwraiths were added to the area. I was playing offline (as I had lots of humanity, and didn't want to be invaded while co-op-ing with that NPC) Is this normal???

I recall this happening with Demon's Souls, during Black tendency events, but didn't know if there was something similar happening, or if it may have been because I had later beat the Four Kings..either way, odd.

Something I've been wondering, lets say you've died with a load of souls and you need to recover your bloodstain. Will wearing a ring of sacrifice stop it from disappearing if you die again?

Dresden said:
There's no fog door bro. Happened to me. I've always killed him in a single try so maybe one pops up afterwards.

lol. see, I went for his tail, which took me like 73 tries, so I was not recalling the lack of fog door the first time. ^_^

scy

Confidence Man said:
Just tried this, I had done all the trades except blooming moss for twinkling x2. Moss farming time!

You can buy the Mosses. Probably faster than getting them as drops.

Hawkian said:
You can
SAVE Solaire?
? What did I do wrong?

You need to unlock the shortcut via the Chaos Covenant and then
kill all 9 maggots BEFORE zoning into Lost Izalith for the first time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
scy said:
You need to unlock the shortcut via the Chaos Covenant and then
kill all 9 maggots BEFORE zoning into Lost Izalith for the first time.
Damnit, didn't even know about the shortcut. Can I still unlock that now for fun? :p

At least he got his Sun...

edit:
Aw man, I missed out on talking to him at the Sunlight altar too, and if you save him he helps with the final battle? damn.

scy

Hawkian said:
Damnit, didn't even know about the shortcut. Can I still unlock that now for fun? :p

At least he got his Sun...

If you feel like giving up the 30 Humanity to unlock it, sure; it also makes
Lost Izalith
a like 5 minute zone to clear, lol. Great for when you're tired of dealing with lava world Jurassic Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom