• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Every character in the game talks like they're about to rib out your spleen and eat it.

How could you know which to trust?

kodt

Banned
Haunted said:
re: duping exploit - I have absolutely no problem exploiting shitty pathfinding or AI in the game (I actively probe and search around for these, actually), but I'd never resort to duping items or experience points. I guess it's an arbitrary distinction, as both aren't really intended by the developers, but still.

It's basically just cheating in a single player game so who cares. The only real MP cheat is throwing infinite knives or firebombs (besides glitched sorc spells which are not actively cheating). Unless you are doing that I don't really care. Go ahead and level up to level 700, you will just get matched with other high level characters who actually know how to play.

yeb

scy said:
When you drop items, you pick them back up in the order they were set down in. So, the Titanite is always on top and then your item. Try it out with a new character or one of the single Titanite trades if you're worried about doing it wrong on the 2x Twinkling Titanite one (it's how I figured it out, actually >>).
I actually had some times where I picked up my Blooming Purple Moss first, it seemed like my character would move sometimes after reloading and I wasn't in position to pick up the Twinkling Titanite. Whenever I picked up the wrong item first, I just moved closer and dropped it again, then picked up the trade.

Another mistake I made a few times was dropping the item and then completely forgetting to pick up the trade before I quit. When that happened, the second item I dropped would disappear but the traded item would be there again after the reload, so I could just continue like normal with the glitch.

Owensboro

UrbanRats said:
Thanks guys, i'll try with these new advices.
First i'll go farm a bit of souls and use the fire keeper soul though, i also have to get this "Slumbering dragon ring".

About the Shells: as i was (pointlessly, since he was immortal, lol) slashing at his chest from the front, a shell clipped through him, from behind [him], so i don't know if there are shells during the fight or if they followed me from the previous room.

It's funny reading other people's strategies on Seath. My strategy:
1) Equip Cursebite ring.
2) Two hand Katana.
3) Run around him and shatter crystal.
4) From the front: don't lock on and attack his right tail / leg thing in the middle, maybe a little closer to the end.
Seath's tracking is really bad (perhaps because he's blind) and you should never get hit with any of his breath attacks because you aren't technically in front of him. When he goes to mele, you should be under his arms so he never hits you either. He should also never do his mega-breath attack thing because he is always turning to hit you (again, you are never technically in front of him).

It's so easy! (Happy go lucky!) (why is "Yatta" stuck in my head?)

Insaniac

Maleficence said:
Quoting for new page.

after you get out of the spiral staircase area you'll come to a tall ladder. go down and logan will be in a small room with a bunch of books scattered everywhere

MoxManiac

kodt said:
It's basically just cheating in a single player game so who cares. The only real MP cheat is throwing infinite knives or firebombs (besides glitched sorc spells which are not actively cheating). Unless you are doing that I don't really care. Go ahead and level up to level 700, you will just get matched with other high level characters who actually know how to play.

Level 700 players can play with low level characters in some covenants.

Maleficence said:
Quoting for new page.

Right before the exit to the garden with the golems -- there's a side room there, if the room with the mimics and stairs down and out to the garden is in front of you, it's on your left.

scy

yeb said:
I actually had some times where I picked up my Blooming Purple Moss first, it seemed like my character would move sometimes after reloading and I wasn't in position to pick up the Twinkling Titanite. Whenever I picked up the wrong item first, I just moved closer and dropped it again, then picked up the trade.

Another mistake I made a few times was dropping the item and then completely forgetting to pick up the trade before I quit. When that happened, the second item I dropped would disappear but the traded item would be there again after the reload, so I could just continue like normal with the glitch.

Hm, I noticed the character moving but never really enough to cause that problem. Probably since I was close to the edge it was moving me towards anyway?

Really, the only way to manage to mess it up is to pick the Titanite up without having the item dropped back to the ground for the next trade; if you pick up the wrong item, you're still okay as long as you didn't pick up the Titanite without dropping another Moss clump.

kodt said:
Go ahead and level up to level 700, you will just get matched with other high level characters who actually know how to play.

Darkmoon Covenant and Forest Covenant don't match by level it seems.

Speevy said:
I'd like infinite humanity if I could have infinite anything.

Baby Skeletons in the Tomb drop it pretty commonly. Plus it's a great soul farming spot, though I tend to just not need souls much by the time I get to the Tomb :(

Owensboro

scy said:
Baby Skeletons in the Tomb drop it pretty commonly. Plus it's a great soul farming spot, though I tend to just not need souls much by the time I get to the Tomb :(

What weapon do you use for them to kill fast? I always get surrounded and ruined by them. I need something better then my Uchi or Furysword for that spot.

kodt

Banned
Owensboro said:
What weapon do you use for them to kill fast? I always get surrounded and ruined by them. I need something better then my Uchi or Furysword for that spot.

Blunt weapons work well on skeletons. An upgraded Mace or Morningstar might be best.

scy

Owensboro said:

Anything with a wide horizontal arc on the R1. My Faith character uses a Claymore (Bastard Sword works too), my INT character uses the Washing Pole, though that breaks really damn fast down there. I basically just tap R1 a lot.

sleepykyo

MoxManiac said:
Level 700 players can play with low level characters in some covenants.

And lvl 20 players can run max endgame equipment against beginner lvl 20. Hopefully 3rd time they match players up by souls invested in the character as opposed to just the level number.

The top 5 of so of the book of the guilty are lvl 52 or less.

Not happy about being moved to the ghetto :(

that's definitely going to slow down the thread, and a lot of people haven't even beat it yet (myself included)!

Insaniac said:
after you get out of the spiral staircase area you'll come to a tall ladder. go down and logan will be in a small room with a bunch of books scattered everywhere

corrosivefrost said:
Right before the exit to the garden with the golems -- there's a side room there, if the room with the mimics and stairs down and out to the garden is in front of you, it's on your left.

Tanks a bonch :)

sixghost

scosher said:
Uhh, it only takes 4 shards and 4 large shards just to bring an armor piece to +6. Excluding Antiquated Skirt which uses twinkling, that's only 12 shards and 12 large shards. That's at most 30 minutes of sewer slug farming with some humanity, since 5 green shards can be fed to Frampt for 25 titanite shards. Titanite chunk farming would take only slightly longer, and at +9, they're all still superior to Black-Hemmed Robes. Getting the titanite slab for +10 is another story.
+1 takes 1 shard
+2 takes 2 shards
+3 takes 3 shards
+4 takes 1 large shard
+5 takes 2 large shards
+6 takes 3 large shards

That's 6 shards, 6 large shards, multiplied by 4 pieces of armor(helm, chest, gloves, legs). Then factor in Chunks, which I don't even know where to farm. That's either 35-50 minutes of farming, or using the forest trick just to get the armor to +6 which is barely even to the gold hemmed robes off the bat.

Fact is, most people who play this game haven't mapped out the best places to farm, or just don't want to waste time farming, so they stick with the gold hemmed robes because they're awesome for a set you find and don't have to upgrade.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Turn those frowns upside down, people. Thread's not getting banished to the Community forum, thread's being sent to gentrify the Community forum.

sixghost said:
+1 takes 1 shard
+2 takes 2 shards
+3 takes 3 shards
+4 takes 1 large shard
+5 takes 2 large shards
+6 takes 3 large shards

That's 6 shards, 6 large shards, multiplied by 4 pieces of armor(helm, chest, gloves, legs). Then factor in Chunks, which I don't even know where to farm. That's either 35-50 minutes of farming, or using the forest trick just to get the armor to +6 which is barely even to the gold hemmed robes off the bat.

Fact is, most people who play this game haven't mapped out the best places to farm, or just don't want to waste time farming, so they stick with the gold hemmed robes because they're awesome for a set you find and don't have to upgrade.

I started using the paladin armor and wasted a lot of twinkling titanite on it and the crest shield.

gioGAF said:
All Gifts are GARBAGE except for the Master Key. The developer trolled us all hard with the whole Pendant lie.

This is true and false; it's false because the Master Key is a terrible gift for a first timer. All it does is give you places that are way to hard, and you have no idea of what routes to take and which to skip.

But it's true, because you can't pick another gift for NG+... and Master Key is INVALUABLE in NG+.

I would say that if you want/KNOW you will do NG+, Master Key is the best gift. If you are only here to play once and just finish the game, then it is a useless gift.

Hawkian said:
haha

Off the top of my head, black firebombs would be an incredibly useful item to have at the very beginning of the game

It lets you get the demons hammer, but TBH with the huge STR requirement by the time I could use it I already had better stuff anyways. And in NG+ you still get it even though you start the fight with your +5 lightning weapon ;)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
For farming humanity at the baby skeletons I found the best weapon was lightning spear+5. Lots of reach so you don't get hit (use spider shield to avoid poison) and if you corral the little buggers -just run in a tight circle into the water then back up the ramp- together the lightning effect propogates all through the cloud so they are dropping 5 at a time.

I was using mask of the child for extra stamina but truth be told it wasn't neccessary; you can use evil eye ring to top hp off if you're strapped for flasks, but you don't get much per kill.

sixghost

Oracle Dragon said:
This is true and false; it's false because the Master Key is a terrible gift for a first timer. All it does is give you places that are way to hard, and you have no idea of what routes to take and which to skip.

But it's true, because you can't pick another gift for NG+... and Master Key is INVALUABLE in NG+.

I would say that if you want/KNOW you will do NG+, Master Key is the best gift. If you are only here to play once and just finish the game, then it is a useless gift.

It lets you get the demons hammer, but TBH with the huge STR requirement by the time I could use it I already had better stuff anyways. And in NG+ you still get it even though you start the fight with your +5 lightning weapon ;)
No way. I got the master key on my first playthrough, hadn't played DeSo either, and it was awesome. I love the feeling of being in places that I shouldn't be. I fought Havel at level 15 something before I even got to the Taurus demon and it was fun as hell.

scy

sixghost said:
Then factor in Chunks, which I don't even know where to farm.

Darkwraiths (New Londo), Royal Sentries (Anor Lando), and two of the Black Knights right before the final boss.

ixix

I just realized that you can see
the Centipede Demon
plain as day from the section of
Demon Ruins where all the Capra Demons hang out.

You even get right up in his face to grab one of the items on a body.

finalozzo said:
infinite soul glitch = infinite something glitch.
humanity, bombs etc. of course not in item form.

I think it only works for souls and humanity, because it consumes the item. The trick is that it keeps consuming the last one indefinitely. So I suppose it could work with a bomb or something, but I can't see the use of that. It doesn't actually dupe the items or I'd have 100 slabs ;)

Booshka

ixix said:
I just realized that you can see
the Centipede Demon
plain as day from the section of
Demon Ruins where all the Capra Demons hang out.

You even get right up in his face to grab one of the items on a body.
I noticed that as well, it would be sweet if you could do a plunging attack on it to kill it in one shot and sidestep the whole boss fight. You would have to die, but it'd be a cool little secret and easy way to avoid that boss.

StMeph

Dresden said:
It's not a real minimum level run unless you do a SL1 run.

A.k.a. Trust in thy crystal ring shield run.

That's true. Maybe I should optimize for SL 1 instead.

Pyromancer: 12 Str, 9 Dex, 11 End

That provides a max load at 45.0 lbs, or 54.0 with Ring of Favor & Protection. Wearing Dark Wood Grain Ring would effectively allow 50% of that, so < 27.0 lbs.

That would allow:
Lightning Battle Axe +5 (Str 12, 4.0 lbs) / Divine Mace +10 (Str 12, 4.0 lbs) for Catacombs/Tomb of Giants
Hollow Soldier's Shield +15 (Str 11, 3.5 lbs)
Pyromancy Flame +5 (no reqs)
Crystal Ring Shield (Str 10, 3.0 lbs)

Crown of Dusk (0.4 lbs -- Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring improves Pyromancy, but does this?)
Tattered Cloth Robe +10 (2.7 lbs)
Giant Gauntlets +5 (9.7 lbs)
Antiquated Skirt +5 (3.0 lbs)

Ring of Favor and Protection
Dark Wood Grain Ring

Total: 26.3 lbs
HP: 686.4 (572 x 1.2)
Stamina: 111.6 (93 x 1.2)

If abusing Crystal Ring Shield, Lightning Battle Axe +5 is pretty nasty at 527 (261/266 Normal/Lightning) damage.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oracle Dragon said:
If you are only here to play once and just finish the game, then it is a useless gift.
So wrong, but then again, I didn't get it as a gift, I'm a thief and it's been an integral part of my character. :p

scy said:
Yes. They both work on Miracles as well, for the curious.

Oh my god. I had no idea. I never even tried on my pyro, and his +15 glove already makes Chaos fireballs hit for ungodly amounts.

aladdin_whole_new_wolrd.gif

Hawkian said:
So wrong, but then again, I didn't get it as a gift, I'm a thief and it's been an integral part of my character. :p

Fine, fine, for the majority, especially that majority who does not read game forum postings containing spoilers/advice/strats for the game, it is not useful to meet Havel ahead of time so he can stomp your face.

I'm trying to think of what else it is used for other than avoiding depths/blighttown? You can use it to go in Valley of Drakes and get a faith sword... you can use it to free Big Hat from sens without having to take a return trip back down. And you can use it in Undead Berg to get some free lightning wax. Where else can you use it?

Oracle Dragon said:

Master Key is great for a first-timer, provided they are willing to explore the world at some risk of death, and/or look up item locations on the net to do an item run.

I started as a thief, so I picked another gift (Tiny Ring, curse you!), but my roomate picked the master key as a gift. After an hour or two of playing he was "Hey, did you go get this item, this item, or this item?" - he did more side-game exploring on his own and a few death-runs to get gear. That prompted me to do some exploring on my own.

I just didn't get bent out of shape bitching 'this game is too hard!' when stuff would kill me quickly as I ran around to new locations. I did a few item runs (mostly in Valley of the Drakes), explored Dark Root a bit - enough to figure out it was over my head for the current time :p then continued on with the game.

So, even if you ONLY plan on playing one play-through and not going onto NG+ - it's a great gift if you are willing to spend the time to make the best use of it - it will make some of your earlier-levels in the game easier.

Aeana

Oracle Dragon said:

You don't get to pick another gift on NG+? Do your keys carry over into the new game? Man, that sucks if not. I didn't pick the master key my first time so I wouldn't get into new areas early, but on a NG+ I want to get to some places early and skip some other areas.

Just got my ass kicked while trying to help someone beat the Four Kings because I completely forgot about the massive damage dealing attacks he does when he focuses on rangers.

Unfortunately, I wasn't one of those rangers and was right next to him, hacking away, when he did his massive damage dealing sweeping attack...

ixix

Aeana said:
You don't get to pick another gift on NG+? Do your keys carry over into the new game? Man, that sucks if not. I didn't pick the master key my first time so I wouldn't get into new areas early, but on a NG+ I want to get to some places early and skip some other areas.

No new gift, and the game takes away all your keys. You get
kicked into NG+ as soon as the credits end with basically no fanfare whatsoever.

Booshka said:
I noticed that as well, it would be sweet if you could do a plunging attack on it to kill it in one shot and sidestep the whole boss fight. You would have to die, but it'd be a cool little secret and easy way to avoid that boss.

It's pretty neat, since
it's pretty much impossible to really grasp what you're seeing your first time through, seeing as how he's sort of petrified and fused to the wall. It's not until your second time through that you get there and think "Wait a second... I know you!"

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Aeana said:

You don't pick a new gift on NG+, which SUCKS. I also wanted to basically shorcut into blighttown from the start but you can't unless you pick the master key on the first playthrough. You lose the keys you had too.

sixghost

Oracle Dragon said:
Fine, fine, for the majority, especially that majority who does not read game forum postings containing spoilers/advice/strats for the game, it is not useful to meet Havel ahead of time so he can stomp your face.

I'm trying to think of what else it is used for other than avoiding depths/blighttown? You can use it to go in Valley of Drakes and get a faith sword... you can use it to free Big Hat from sens without having to take a return trip back down. And you can use it in Undead Berg to get some free lightning wax. Where else can you use it?
Just off the top of my head:
-Early access to Havel's Ring
-Open the locked door in Undead Burg that leads to either Lightning Resin or Black firebombs
-Quick and safe way back to Firelink after Blighttown. Also can be used to get the undead dragon loot quickly.
-I think it opens a door to a bonfire in the Depths, this helped a ton.
-Also opens the cage that Big Hat is locked in, in Sen's.

Also, the early access the Drake's can result in some cool stuff, depending on how far you are willing to adventure. You can get to Darkroot INCREDIBLY early, like the first thing you do when you reach firelink, you'll just have to run past some stuff. You can get some cool armor that way.

That's all that I remember. Most of the other starting gifts really aren't that useful though, so it's not competing against much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom