• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Nobodyspatzy said:
On New Game++, so far, not NEARLY the jump as much as New Game+ was. Capra Demon, for some reason, was a pain, and ran around a lot more...but still feel quick (Trust me guys having trouble with him the first time...he is MUCH easier when you get used to fighting more of them later in the game.)

I think it's because it's literally not as big a jump. :p If it's like Demon's Souls then the first jump is +40% and the following NG pluses are +8% relative to the previous game cycle.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
scy said:
If you feel like giving up the 30 Humanity to unlock it, sure; it also makes
Lost Izalith
a like 5 minute zone to clear, lol. Great for when you're tired of dealing with lava world Jurassic Park.
Hmmm bleh I really wish I'd known, would've been totally worth it to help him out, now I don't know if I want to take the time, I have no desire to go back to Lost Izalith anyway :p

Got the game used yesterday and the disc was in perfect condition haha!

I doubt I'm doing very good but I'm having so much fun! I'm in the Undead Burg right now and Im on the part with the bridge and the red dragon(any tips would be welcome). This game reminds me a lot of playing any of the NES Megaman games, where after a while you've played a section so many times that you develop a rhythm to it and you get a little farther wit each life.

I totally bought this game with no knowledge of the 'series' other than it's harder than life itself, and I'm glad I did.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Small Mailman said:
This game reminds me a lot of playing any of the NES Megaman games, where after a while you've played a section so many times that you develop a rhythm to it and you get a little farther wit each life.
so true

scy said:
Well, there's a different glitch for Twinkling Titanite:
Drop an item for Snuggly that trades for a Twinkling Titanite, quit to menu, reload file, drop the same item for Snuggly, pick up the Twinkling, quit to menu, reload file, and repeat. When you want to quit it, drop the same item for Snuggly, pick up the Twinkling, and then pick up that item.

XsNNH.gif

scy said:
Drop an item for Snuggly that trades for a Twinkling Titanite, quit to menu, reload file, drop the same item for Snuggly, pick up the Twinkling, quit to menu, reload file, and repeat. When you want to quit it, drop the same item for Snuggly, pick up the Twinkling, and then pick up that item.

How do you tell the difference between picking up the ore and picking up the new item you just dropped?

And I am assuming this works for all the items he trades for? Like... for example.... RED SLABS...

Owensboro

Brobzoid said:
It's a hamster wheel damn it
You're damn right it is. Canine-wheel more like it.

You know, the more I play this game (about to finish NG++), the more I wish there was a way to bank some souls. I'm not talking all of your souls, but just enough so that if you bite it you can at least repair your equipment. I'd love the ability to choose a spot to drop them before I die also, forfeiting any souls I would be about to gain after that point. Basically, I just hate that you have to die once in the D
uke's
A
rchives
in order to advance.

scosher

Flying Toaster said:
What is the best weapon to go after when beginning the game? I like swords but I keep getting my ass handed to me and I feel as though I am going into places unprepared.

If you mean the equivalent of the Crescent Falchion in Demon's Souls, that would be the Drake Sword in this game. Can be had after the first boss fight in Undead Burg, below the hellkite bridge. You'll need to buy a Shortbow from the merchant and like 30-40 arrows (and have 12 Dex). Youtube videos on how to get it.

Zzoram

UrbanRats said:
Argh, so sick of fucking Seath.
Almost one shots me, it's immortal at the beginning, there are those damn shells, it fucking curses me AND the last bonfire it's BEFORE the damn bridges.
I feel like i hit a wall here, this part is not even fun, everytime i want to try again i have to walk thos goddam bridges again.
I'd go for tomb of the giants, but i'll have to do this anyway sooner or later.
So now i have to warp away from Duke's Archives to go get some purging stone and then all the way back..
fuck my life.
Uncharted 3 can't come soon enough.
Those clams drop purging stones. The invisible bridges are straight lines. It takes like 4 minutes to get to the boss from the bonfire.

Dresden

Oracle Dragon said:
How do you tell the difference between picking up the ore and picking up the new item you just dropped?

And I am assuming this works for all the items he trades for? Like... for example.... RED SLABS...
Well you'd need multiple ascended +5 pyro flames for that, lol.

Dresden

Owensboro said:

You know, the more I play this game (about to finish NG++), the more I wish there was a way to bank some souls. I'm not talking all of your souls, but just enough so that if you bite it you can at least repair your equipment. I'd love the ability to choose a spot to drop them before I die also, forfeiting any souls I would be about to gain after that point. Basically, I just hate that you have to die once in the D
uke's
A
rchives
in order to advance.
Well, the soul items (Like the Soul of a Hero, etc) are your 'bank' items.

As for
Duke's Archive,
just equip a Ring of Sacrifice.

Zeliard said:
I can't do that glitch anyway since I already did the Twinkling Titanite trade. :x

The rest of you, SHAME ON YOU.

I know it's terrible and will definitely be patched for being bad bad bad but I have to do it for SCIENCE

gioGAF

Regarding Red Titanite Slabs and Sparkly the Crow, it seems like the Ascended Pyromancy Flame (strong) has to be at base level or the Crow will not accept it (Go from +15 to +0).

All Gifts are GARBAGE except for the Master Key. The developer trolled us all hard with the whole Pendant lie.

Anyone who has a problem with the "glitch" with the Crow is insane. This game is SUPER stingy. I farmed those clams before Seath the Scaleless for an eternity and only got 13 Twinkling Titanite pieces and hundreds of Purging Stones. God forbid you upgrade something that isn't as good as you thought it would be with your Twinkling Titanite. This process was a nightmare and I am so glad a workaround exists.

Titanite Slabs are ridiculous as well, you can farm the Darkwraiths for hours and not get anything. This game should really increase the item drop rate for rare materials on NG+ and beyond. I can understand keeping them rare on an initial playthrough (or even a second playthrough), but keeping them ridiculously rare on NG++ and beyond is just a troll move.

*All farming I have done has been at 410 Item Discovery, just in case anyone is wondering.

Owensboro

Dresden said:
Well, the soul items (Like the Soul of a Hero, etc) are your 'bank' items.

As for
Duke's Archive,
just equip a Ring of Sacrifice.

Yeah, I know.....I just hate the idea of using an item to do it. They're like, limited and stuff.

You see, I suffer from RPG Player's Disease. I save all my super items because I'm to afraid to use them. I always think there will be a bigger boss or moment around the corner, even illogically, like, say during my 4th play through of a game. I'm that guy that saves all his "Heal all party members Health and Mana to full" until the last boss fight. I'm the guy who never used the BFG because I wanted to save it for some dumb reason.

.......I need help or something.

EDIT:
Booshka said:
That's what those Soul Items you pick up are for. Die, spawn back at Bonfire with broken equip, consume a Large Soul of Lost Undead, repair equipment, then try to get to your bloodstain.

So, I still have yet to use any of those souls...... i might need them LATER man! Don't you get it! [/seeks professional help]

Booshka

Owensboro said:

uke's
A
rchives
in order to advance.
That's what those Soul Items you pick up are for. Die, spawn back at Bonfire with broken equip, consume a Large Soul of Lost Undead, repair equipment, then try to get to your bloodstain.

EDIT: For your OCD, just use the lesser Soul items, it only takes a few hundred souls to repair your equipment, and the lesser soul items are hardly rare or valuable.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
gioGAF said:
Regarding Red Titanite Slabs and Sparkly the Crow, it seems like the Ascended Pyromancy Flame (strong) has to be at base level or the Crow will not accept it (Go from +15 to +0).

All Gifts are GARBAGE except for the Master Key. The developer trolled us all hard with the whole Pendant lie.
haha

Off the top of my head, black firebombs would be an incredibly useful item to have at the very beginning of the game

Soulhouf

Something very strange just happened to me.
I was wearing Smough's set and after a certain amount of time I heard a strange sound (similar to the one you hear when you gain humanity/estus flask) and the helm became bigger and a symbol of enhanced defense appeared below the stamina bar.
At first I though it was something like the egg parasite (I was in the Catacombs) but when I removed the helm, the effect disappeared and when I put it back nothing happened.
What was that?

anddo0

MomoPufflet said:
120 hours in my first playthrough and I finally decide to beat it, and I inadvertently skip the ending

Ouch! My first run was around the 120 mark. I don't know what I'd do if I skipped the ending.

Question: did you light the bonfire? If so, don't feel so bad.

anddo0 said:
Ouch! My first run was around the 120 mark. I don't know what I'd do if I skipped the ending.

Question: did you light the bonfire? If so, don't feel so bad.

Actually, it didn't even give me a choice-- it just defaulted to lighting the bonfire. I hit start right after I beat the boss (so used to skipping the crow/frampt cutscenes).

StMeph

I'm close to Platting, and am considering doing a minimum-level run after that for fun.

It seems like Pyromancer would be the best starting class, with Master Key as the gift. Then level one point in Dexterity, pump Endurance to 40, and keep Vitality around 20? Maybe minimum (10)?

Gear would look like:
Lightning Spear +5
Hollow Soldier's Shield +15
Pyromancer's Flame +5

Crown of Dusk
Elite Knight Armor +10
Giant Gauntlets +5
Antiquated Skirt +5

Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring
Dark Wood Grain Ring

Any suggestions? Better optimizations?

x3r0123

ok this is stupid, my slim ps3 can read my disc but my phat ps3 cant...
wtf sony fucked up big.. My slim has version 3.70 and phat has 3.73
arghhh i hate you sony

Booshka

StMeph said:
I'm close to Platting, and am considering doing a minimum-level run after that for fun.

It seems like Pyromancer would be the best starting class, with Master Key as the gift. Then level one point in Dexterity, pump Endurance to 40, and keep Vitality around 20? Maybe minimum (10)?

Gear would look like:
Lightning Spear +5
Hollow Soldier's Shield +15
Pyromancer's Flame +5

Crown of Dusk
Elite Knight Armor +10
Giant Gauntlets +5
Antiquated Skirt +5

Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring
Dark Wood Grain Ring

Any suggestions? Better optimizations?
I'd replace one of those rings with the Ring of Favor and Protection, the stamina, HP and equip load boost will really help for a low level run.

If you want the challenge though, then that build looks solid.

ShaneB

Owensboro said:
Yeah, I know.....I just hate the idea of using an item to do it. They're like, limited and stuff.

You see, I suffer from RPG Player's Disease. I save all my super items because I'm to afraid to use them. I always think there will be a bigger boss or moment around the corner, even illogically, like, say during my 4th play through of a game. I'm that guy that saves all his "Heal all party members Health and Mana to full" until the last boss fight. I'm the guy who never used the BFG because I wanted to save it for some dumb reason.

.......I need help or something.

EDIT:

So, I still have yet to use any of those souls...... i might need them LATER man! Don't you get it! [/seeks professional help]

Reminds me of years ago when I had a friend playing through Duke Nukem 3D. Would watch him play it since his pc was much better than mine, and he would constantly save and have to run through every encounter perfectly. If he knew he could kill an enemy with 1 less bullet, he would reload and try again.

When I asked him why the hell he would do that, he said 'what if I get to the last boss and have no ammo?!?'

Silly him.

Haunted

My first thought seeing the thread title was "hey cool, what's Community Friday? some sort of event?"

Then I understood. Feels like getting told Dad brought your dog to live on the farm. Community Forum is where threads get sent to die.

re: duping exploit - I have absolutely no problem exploiting shitty pathfinding or AI in the game (I actively probe and search around for these, actually), but I'd never resort to duping items or experience points. I guess it's an arbitrary distinction, as both aren't really intended by the developers, but still.

Strange how that works.

scy

Oracle Dragon said:

When you drop items, you pick them back up in the order they were set down in. So, the Titanite is always on top and then your item. Try it out with a new character or one of the single Titanite trades if you're worried about doing it wrong on the 2x Twinkling Titanite one (it's how I figured it out, actually >>).

And, yes, all the items work for this, just only a few trade in something easy to get an infinite amount of (the Moss clumps for Twinkling Titanite, the Prism Stones for Demon Titanite, and Egg Vermifuge for Dragon Scales).

Haunted said:
re: duping exploit - I have absolutely no problem exploiting shitty pathfinding or AI in the game (I actively probe and search around for these, actually), but I'd never resort to duping items or experience points. I guess it's an arbitrary distinction, as both aren't really intended by the developers, but still.

Strange how that works.

Normally I'd agree but after some mind-numbing farming for the drops, I really don't look forward to repeating the same action for another 10+ hours on every character I make :/ If it saves me time off of monotonous tasks that I'd be doing otherwise (i.e., Item Duping that takes no effort, just time and tedium) then I'm ... typically fine with.

Guess it depends on the flexibility of my morals at that moment, lol. Soul duping I'm not alright with despite it basically being the same argument, for instance.

Finalow

Zzoram said:
a bug. that fucking cat gives you that fucking ring and you can invade people at level 588 even if you are at level 28.
this is why i'm stuck at my first run at ng++ difficulty.

UrbanRats

Brobzoid said:
I'm currently at Seath too.

all the bridges are straight and pretty wide, so it's not an issue once you can see where you want to end up

but holy shit I do pitiful damage against him. and have very little in the way of curse resist, and his attacks that deal damage (beam and tail thrash) are ravaging me. I think I'm gonna spend 30 minutes taking potshots at his side tentacles while running back and forth across the arena. I have no ranged :c
Yo Gotti said:
What
shells
?

I read plenty of times about people
getting cursed at Seath, but I never did, where exactly do you get cursed?

Anyway, to beat him just stay
FAR AWAY from his front, I mean literally try to guide him(he's blind) to the walls and stay near the opposite wall. He rarely ever makes it exactly to the center of the room. When you seem him wind his neck up for the sweep attack just run around his tails to the back and hack away. You can get 2-3 swings in before he starts flailing his tails around. From there just run directly away from him again, wait it out and repeat.
corrosivefrost said:
(1) wear the ring to supress your sound, he's blind. Makes it easy to sprint around him and smash the crystal.
(2) if you don't care about the tail weapon, just torch his ass with great fireball.
(3) the bridges are straight shots -- if you cross them once to know where they start and end, it takes less than 3 minutes to get from the bonfire to the boss room; also, run *around* the clams unless you want souls/farming.

Until I realized how easy the invisible bridges were, I was pissed and wanted to snap the game... once I realized how easy the path in there really is, I didn't care, I was more aggravated trying to lop off seath's tail.

With the hydra, you strafe dodge until you get to the water and it will stop shooting water rockets at you. Then you melee it's ass to death. Just make sure you have a good shield with 100% physical block.

Ghosts require being cursed, having a cursed weapon, or transient curse item.

There's no reason to fight any butterfly in crystal caverns. And you can fight Seath with hit and run if you use the item I put in my spoilers above.
Abooie said:
Man you're at exactly where I was a couple of hours ago. Those fecking Shells, I hate them,.

Just run. Seriously, if you know where the bridges are you can get to the boss in 2 mins without fighting anything. Take the left path round the clams and into the mist. Destroy the regen crystal, hit it's left and right tails and roll the fuck out when it does it curse attack.

Seriously, my life became a hell of a lot easier when I just RAN!!!
Booshka said:
Put on Curse Resist Gear, Oolacile's gear has the best I have seen. Then put on the Slumbering DragonCrest Ring to be silent. 2 Hand a Weapon with the Grass Crest Shield on your back, and run around in circles attacking his limbs and avoiding his attacks. When he is weak, go for the gut and wail on him to finish the fight.

Thanks guys, i'll try with these new advices.
First i'll go farm a bit of souls and use the fire keeper soul though, i also have to get this "Slumbering dragon ring".

About the Shells: as i was (pointlessly, since he was immortal, lol) slashing at his chest from the front, a shell clipped through him, from behind [him], so i don't know if there are shells during the fight or if they followed me from the previous room.

Finalow

scy said:
lol. this is great, i'll start an ng+ right now (ng+++ in my case) to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom