• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedIC86

Okay i need some help..

I just killed the boss in Anor Londo, dont remember the names but you know who i mean. If i want to finish the game the quickest possible way, what areas should i go to, not all areas are neccesary right?

Thanks

the reason i want to finish is because a lot of new games are coming in the next weeks and im afraid i wont play darksouls anymore if the other stuff comes out..

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm still on my first playthrough, and the Master Key has trolled me quite hard.

- Havel flattened me before the Taurus boss.
- I opened the Valley of the Drakes door, then got wary and told myself I would explore it later. Later found the Valley of the Drakes after going through Blighttown from the Depths.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
sixghost said:
Just off the top of my head:
-Early access to Havel's Ring
-Open the locked door in Undead Burg that leads to either Lightning Resin or Black firebombs
-Quick and safe way back to Firelink after Blighttown. Also can be used to get the undead dragon loot quickly.
-I think it opens a door to a bonfire in the Depths, this helped a ton.
-Also opens the cage that Big Hat is locked in, in Sen's.

That's all that I remember. Most of the other starting gifts really aren't that useful though, so it's not competing against much.

You actually get the key to open the path from Blighttown to Valley of the Drakes on your way up if you tackle it from the Blighttown side. Having the Master Key just lets you open it from the Valley of the Drakes side and basically skip Blighttown entirely.

I'd say there's pretty much no chance that I'm ever going to make a non-Master Key character at this point. It's way too nifty to leave behind.

sixghost

MedIC86 said:
Okay i need some help..

I just killed the boss in Anor Londo, dont remember the names but you know who i mean. If i want to finish the game the quickest possible way, what areas should i go to, not all areas are neccesary right?

Thanks
Everything from that point on is necessary.
New Londo Ruins: Area with ghosts you can't hit unless you are cursed, or have some transient curse(these are consumables that "curse" you for like 5 minutes. There are 3-4 more pickups in the area. Don't go here unless you've killed Sif the Wolf first.
Duke's Archives: Reached from Anor Londo. It's a pretty long area. The enemies can be tough, and it's kind of a puzzle.
Tomb of the Giants: Most people's 2nd most hated area. Reached through the Catacombs, which are a bitch themselves, it's pitch-black, and can only be lit via a special helmet, cast light, or a lantern(which you find about 1/3 of the way through the area)
Lost Izalith: People's most hated area. Ton's of lava, only unlocked via killing a boss that's hard as fuck unless you cheese him. Annoying ass gigantic T-Rex skeleton monsters, lava, bad framerate, lava, Taurus Demon's, lava, Capra Demons. Plural.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
sixghost said:
-Open the locked door in Undead Burg that leads to either Lightning Resin or Black firebombs
-Quick and safe way back to Firelink after Blighttown. Also can be used to get the undead dragon loot quickly.

Also, the early access the Drake's can result in some cool stuff, depending on how far you are willing to adventure. You can get to Darkroot INCREDIBLY early, like the first thing you do when you reach firelink, you'll just have to run past some stuff. You can get some cool armor that way.

That's all that I remember. Most of the other starting gifts really aren't that useful though, so it's not competing against much.

You can basically skip blighttown, which means you never have to go to the depths(or fight capra) with it too. I really wish I picked it now.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
sixghost said:

Also, the early access the Drake's can result in some cool stuff, depending on how far you are willing to adventure. You can get to Darkroot INCREDIBLY early, like the first thing you do when you reach firelink, you'll just have to run past some stuff. You can get some cool armor that way.

1. You could also just kill moonlight butterfly who is one of the easiest bosses in the game and get the same thing.
2.You can get the key on the way up from blight town, you can also get the dragon loot early by going through the forest area. There is more than one way into dragons valley early game.
3.You can also pay 1000 souls for the residence key to do the same thing, which you will have to do anyways as the master key doesn't work on the door that the mage is traped in.
4. The key to unlock the door in the depths is literally right down the hall from that bonfire. 15 seconds away.
5.You get the key for his cage normally exploring the place anyways as it's along one of the exit routes.

scosher

sixghost said:
+1 takes 1 shard
+2 takes 2 shards
+3 takes 3 shards
+4 takes 1 large shard
+5 takes 2 large shards
+6 takes 3 large shards

That's 6 shards, 6 large shards, multiplied by 4 pieces of armor(helm, chest, gloves, legs). Then factor in Chunks, which I don't even know where to farm. That's either 35-50 minutes of farming, or using the forest trick just to get the armor to +6 which is barely even to the gold hemmed robes off the bat.

Fact is, most people who play this game haven't mapped out the best places to farm, or just don't want to waste time farming, so they stick with the gold hemmed robes because they're awesome for a set you find and don't have to upgrade.

Your numbers are off.

+1/+2 takes 1 shard only
+3 takes 2 shards
+4/+5 takes 1 large shard only
+6 takes 2 large shards
+7/+8 takes 1 chunk
+9 takes 2 chunks
+10 takes a slab

It's 4 shards, 4 large shards, 4 chunks, and 1 slab to upgrade armor to +10. It's not as difficult as you're making it out to be, and a breeze to upgrade any piece to +6 at the very least.

sixghost

Papercuts said:
You can basically skip blighttown, which means you never have to go to the depths(or fight capra) with it too. I really wish I picked it now.
You can do that all without the master key. You can get to Drake's through a cave in Darkroot Basin. You can then just run past a few Drakes and a sleeping boss to get to Blighttown. It's just a lot faster to use the New Londo gate, and exit that way too.

It's still worth it to not play the first section of Blighttown.
scosher said:
Your numbers are off.

+1/+2 takes 1 shard only
+3 takes 2 shards
+4/+5 takes 1 large shard only
+6 takes 2 large shards
+7/+8 takes 1 chunk
+9 takes 2 chunks
+10 takes a slab

It's 4 shards, 4 large shards, 4 chunks, and 1 slab to upgrade armor to +10. It's not as difficult as you're making it out to be, and a breeze to upgrade any piece to +6 at the very least.
I could be wrong, but I just did it a few days ago. I am 100% positive +3 takes 3 shards, same with +6.

I was doing it with the Steel Armor bought from the Sen's Merchant. Maybe it's different for different pieces of armor?

MedIC86

sixghost said:
New Londo Ruins: Area with ghosts you can't hit unless you are cursed, or have some transient curse(these are consumables that "curse" you for like 5 minutes. There are 3-4 more pickups in the area. Don't go here unless you've killed Sif the Wolf first.
Duke's Archives: Reached from Anor Londo. It's a pretty long area. The enemies can be tough, and it's kind of a puzzle.
Tomb of the Giants: Most people's 2nd most hated area. Reached through the Catacombs, which are a bitch themselves, it's pitch-black, and can only be lit via a special helmet, cast light, or a lantern(which you find about 1/3 of the way through the area)
Lost Izalith: People's most hated area. Ton's of lava, only unlocked via killing a boss that's hard as fuck unless you cheese him. Annoying ass gigantic T-Rex skeleton monsters, lava, bad framerate, lava, Taurus Demon's, lava, Capra Demons. Plural.

Thanks...damn....i hope i can finish this :p

peetfeet

I said no to
ALVINA OF THE DARKROOT WOOD
when she asked to join the covenant, am i screwed to join now til NG+?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
sixghost said:
A lot of what you describe is actually the Demon Ruins.

Thanks for that post by the way, gave me some direction as to what I need to do next and how close I am to the end.

Most of the gift items are not that useful. Even if you don't plan on NG+ - the Master Key is handy, if you plan on doing NG+ - it's really useful because you can outright skip a few portions of the game if you want to (ie: Lower Burg/Crapra/Depths, a good portion of Blighttown).

When combined with the fact that every other item can be found while playing - no reason to not pick it as a starting gift IMO if you are doing a non-theif character.

sixghost

MedIC86 said:
Thanks...damn....i hope i can finish this :p
Don't worry about getting through it. If you've managed to get to that point you'll be fine. Just don't think the game is close to being over.

Most people are overly dramatic with how bad the last 4 areas are. Personally, I loved New Londo, Duke's Archives was pretty cool, Tomb of the Giants was awesome once you manage to secure a light source (the tension of having to give up your shield to hold the lantern was great), plus it's not that long. Lost Izalith is really the only bad area in the game. I don't hate it as much as some people, just understand that the T-Rexes don't respawn, so you just need to pick out the ones you absolutely need to kill to make it to the buildings, and take it slow.

scosher

peetfeet said:
I said no to
ALVINA OF THE DARKROOT WOOD
when she asked to join the covenant, am i screwed to join now til NG+?

I did the same the first time. You have to absolve your sins with the scarecrow dude at the bell tower. Pain in the ass.

sixghost said:
I was doing it with the Steel Armor bought from the Sen's Merchant. Maybe it's different for different pieces of armor?

Maybe, that wouldn't surprise me. Did you farm souls and just buy the mats? Cause the leeches in Blight Town drop large titanite shards like candy. And they also have a chance to drop 5 Green Titanite Shards, which can be fed to Frampt for 25 titanite shards. It gives you enough shards to upgrade your entire weapon arsenal to +5 for later demon soul upgrading.

K' Dash

I don't have more areas to explore but the most shit-tastic in the game: New Londo, Lost Izalith, Tomb of the Giants and Drake Archives.

I don't think I can finish this weekend :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Did the patch fixing the infinity item bug ever come out?

Dever

Banned
scosher said:
I did the same the first time. You have to absolve your sins with the scarecrow dude at the bell tower. Pain in the ass.

Oh, I just tried killing her to see if she drops anything thinking there was no way to join the covenant anymore. She vanishes! :(

duckroll

I should probably mention that we're not going to Community this Friday after all, after some top level negotiations. We will eventually still get there, but not just yet. :)

Raxus

I am late game and need new armor. What is the best set that lets me keep my best roll? I am using 4/5 of the black knight set now I believe. I also need a better shield. The eagle shield just isn't cutting it anymore.

K' Dash

duckroll said:
I should probably mention that we're not going to Community this Friday after all, after some top level negotiations. We will eventually still get there, but not just yet. :)

Excellent, this thread have been great for me.

sixghost

We were about to exit the glorious Age of Gaming, and descend deep into the dark Age of Community. Praise the sun.
Raxus said:
I am late game and need new armor. What is the best set that lets me keep my best roll? I am using 4/5 of the black knight set now I believe. I also need a better shield. The eagle shield just isn't cutting it anymore.
You should try the Steel Set from the Sen's roof merchant. It maxes at 39/102/61/61 and it just about the same weight as your Black Knight stuff. I'm using it right now and love it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
duckroll said:
Score!

This game is really not primarily about a poor framerate though!

scy

K' Dash said:
I don't have more areas to explore but the most shit-tastic in the game: New Londo, Lost Izalith, Tomb of the Giants and Drake Archives.

I don't think I can finish this weekend :(

Tomb isn't that bad, honestly. It's rather short and, hey, by the time you can see anything in there you're halfway through the zone. Seriously though, I've done the run enough times to get to the baby skeleton room that I can do it blindfolded. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be.

Use this opportunity to farm the Humanity needed for the Chaos Covenant Rank+2 (30) so you can skip Lost Izalith. It becomes basically a straight shot with only one Prowler Demon/Titanite Demon being the only thing of note.

As for New Londo and the Archives ... well...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
scy said:
Tomb isn't that bad, honestly. It's rather short and, hey, by the time you can see anything in there you're halfway through the zone. Seriously though, I've done the run enough times to get to the baby skeleton room that I can do it blindfolded. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be.

Use this opportunity to farm the Humanity needed for the Chaos Covenant Rank+2 (30) so you can skip Lost Izalith. It becomes basically a straight shot with only one Prowler Demon/Titanite Demon being the only thing of note.

As for New Londo and the Archives ... well...
Cleaned up New Londo and Izalith (didn't know about the shortcut,
poor solaire
, so I have the Archives and Tomb left. Think I'll do the archives next as it seems like the challenging of the two.

Sullichin said:
The game does have terrible framerate issues though. An update that magically fixed this would be amazing
It surely does in Blighttown and New Londo, and I didn't notice it in Izalith so much but others have...

...but still, they haven't come close to causing me to want to stop playing the game or even ultimately affecting my perception of it. I think I take issue with the titles calling it out because it's just focusing on what is far and away the biggest issue of the game even though it is by no means the aspect of the game that stands out the most.

Trevelyon

is invading via covenants matched on individual levels, sinner priority or whomever, as long as they're guilty and can be succesfully matched?

Been searching with the blue orb for a good while now and gwyndolin isn't summoning me with the ring, am I ranked too highly (SL 94) to get frequent invades, based on my levels (if that's how it is)

scy

Hawkian said:
poor solaire
, so I have the Archives and Tomb left. Think I'll do the archives next as it seems like the challenging of the two.

Making it through Jurassic Volcano once yourself should be a requirement!

Archives is the longest of the four areas; Tomb gets some of it's length from the fact that very few people do the Catacombs until they're required to go to the Tomb. Tomb itself is
literally a few slides, first bonfire, get pushed into a hole (optional really but the Lantern is down here as well as Rhea), get back up to the bonfire, round the corner, second bonfire (seriously, what's with this placement?), and then follow a path for a bit to the boss.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The Lordvessel areas that everyone seems to dislike all have the same basic rule:

You need to use a certain item/condition/spell to overcome an environmental hazard. You try and beat them without this "key" effect and its going to be painful.

Sullichin

Hawkian said:
poor solaire

It surely does in Blighttown and New Londo, and I didn't notice it in Izalith so much but others have...

...but still, they haven't come close to causing me to want to stop playing the game or even ultimately affecting my perception of it. I think I take issue with the titles calling it out because it's just focusing on what is far and away the biggest issue of the game even though it is by no means the aspect of the game that stands out the most.

I haven't gotten to new londo yet. Blightttown would have been a lot better if the framerate didn't make the area more of a swamp than the actual swamp did. The wheel skeleton area in the painted world was just as bad, but you're not there for very long. There's also intermittent frame dips that happen everywhere when shit is going down. When the framerate drops, the gameplay absolutely suffers. I think it's ok to poke fun at it in the thread title, i think anyone who sees the OT3 just a few weeks after release will realize that GAF is in love with this game.

KorrZ

duckroll said:

Yes!!! I love you guys. You can't send this thread to that fate quite yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom