• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

Seath is dead, thanks to your advices.
4 tries in total, not bad, thanks GAF.. it was the worst (toughest) fight so far, followed by the two assholes. :p

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
duckroll said:
We contracted all future thread titles to the same people who localized the game in English.

The localization is pretty damn good imho, and the voice acting is much better than Demon's Souls.

The only issues I've really noticed are some of the text strings being overlong and screwing up the formatting; and strictly speaking thats a straight up C-class bug that someone should really have caught during QA.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Kyoufu said:
I don't remember any errors by the localisation team. Care to refresh my memory?

YOU DEFEATED

Defeated is a transitive verb and requires an object.

Otherwise though the translation does seem pretty good, not that I pay close attention to NPC ramblings. :p

Kyoufu

hey_it's_that_dog said:
YOU DEFEATED

Otherwise though the translation does seem pretty good, not that I pay close attention to NPC ramblings. :p

You took the bait.

YOU DEFEATED is FROM's fault/intention/whatever.

I'm just got the Lordvessel and decided to try out being human so I could PVP.

WHY DID I NOT DO THIS BEFORE? The game is 10x more entertaining when people invade. I've started leaving the game running and waiting for invasions. I need to get that Fog Ring to compete with others who have it though. It's a bitch to try and hit them with my pyro spells.

Is it customary to bow before battling? I totally slayed some guy as he initiated the bow animation unaware he was about to do that. Sorry man!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kyoufu said:
I don't remember any errors by the localisation team. Care to refresh my memory?
The Tiny Being's Ring is straight up incorrect in its description on the gift screen.

plasticpassion said:
Is it customary to bow before battling? I totally slayed some guy as he initiated the bow animation unaware he was about to do that. Sorry man!
I find it very satisfying and compelling to bow and have the bow returned. I also feel that someone not bowing is a decent indication that they might be cheating/griefing :p

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Kyoufu said:

Equip the Tiny Being's Ring and wait for your health to regenerate.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
YOU DEFEATED

But the object of DEFEATED is the boss. It's not explicitly rendered in text but in context it's obvious. Splitting hairs over usage guidelines when the idea being communicated is by no means unclear is pure pedantry.

I wholly endorse From's refusal to conform to stodgy old prescriptivist dogma.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kyoufu said:
Don't think I even have that ring. What does it do and what does it say it does? :O
You shouldn't have it, be glad you didn't choose it.

Description says it regens HP (what?! awesome!), in actuality it raises your HP by 30 (...are you kidding me).

ixix said:
But the object of DEFEATED is the boss. It's not explicitly rendered in text but in context it's obvious. Splitting hairs over usage guidelines when the idea being communicated is by no means unclear is pure pedantry.

I wholly endorse From's refusal to conform to stodgy old prescriptivist dogma.
Rofl. This isn't splitting hairs, "you defeated" is straight-up nonsense in the way it's presented in-game. That said, I have no doubt that it's intentional and I love it.

Septimius

Man, I am disappointed, late-night euro and American pvp'ers. I was pvping my hearts out 6 hours ago, and I had a ton of straight fights and amazing fun. All I get now are people who use both fog ring and slow aoe. For shame, whoever does that.

So I decied to reroll a new character since my old one had killed off some of the more important NPC and hoooooleeeee shit how much faster progressing goes now. I'm already level 21 now and going to The Depths after 2 hours and 50 minutes. :D Last time I think that took me atleast 15 hours.

Akuun said:
Is it really that good? I have two sitting in storage but I never tried them. I don't think I have the strength to wield them.

I used a fire+5 gargoyle axe to farm skeleton babies for many hours. Kills them all in one swipe easily. the R1 sweep is very good for this. it's a great weapon

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sniper McBlaze said:
So I decied to reroll a new character since my old one had killed off some of the more important NPC and hoooooleeeee shit how much faster progressing goes now. I'm already level 21 now and going to The Depths after 2 hours and 50 minutes. :D Last time I think that took me atleast 15 hours.
Rolling through early areas like a boss once you know what you're doing is so satisfying. I had to do this getting my bearing in Demon's Souls and it made me love my second character so much.

BeeDog

Any recommendations on what I should upgrade with Twinkling Titanites? I have a pretty big stash of it now, but don't know what to upgrade.

feel

lol blightown is the shittiest looking, most awkward and hostile location possible, made worse by the framerate, yet I wouldn't have wanted it any other way (ok, maybe better framerate). So memorable. Loved the feel of that comforting bonfire tunnel with all the messages and player ghosts.

Johnas

I know I'm way behind the curve in this thread, but I finally made it through Anor Londo, up to the boss fight.

My dear word.

UrbanRats

Jadedx said:
Seriously, I just beat that scaleless dragon boss and I have no idea where to go.
I just beat him (5 minutes ago).
i need 4 more points to int, to have the light spell so i can slain Nito.
It'll be a chore, since i need like 50k per level.

So anyway, Tomb of Giants and then Lost Izalith.

BeeDog said:
Any recommendations on what I should upgrade with Twinkling Titanites? I have a pretty big stash of it now, but don't know what to upgrade.
You r armor of choice.
Personally, i like heavy stuff, so i'm doing Black Iron Armor chest and Giant Armor head/legs.
And i use Smough's gloves.

I heard the Elite Knight Armor is a decent one, when buffed up (and it's pretty light).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Johnas said:
I know I'm way behind the curve in this thread, but I finally made it through Anor Londo, up to the boss fight.

My dear word.
Yeah, Anor Londo is my favorite. That area and I really got along, and it looks like I have to revisit it to find some archives.

Septimius said:
Man, I am disappointed, late-night euro and American pvp'ers. I was pvping my hearts out 6 hours ago, and I had a ton of straight fights and amazing fun. All I get now are people who use both fog ring and slow aoe. For shame, whoever does that.

This game needs some sort of arena mode so bad. I would pay for it, and I think a lot of people would. I think the spontaneity and panic of invasions encourages cheeze, especially when you get people farming invasions and playing the game like it's dudebro. I don't think an arena would eliminate retards, but it would probably encourage more actual fighting. You could at least set gentleman's rules with people you know.

I'm sure for the developers the concept of an arena is a major point of contention though.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Hawkian said:
Rofl. This isn't splitting hairs, "you defeated" is straight-up nonsense in the way it's presented in-game. That said, I have no doubt that it's intentional and I love it.

"Nonsense?" Pish-tosh and balderdash. You don't need a proper noun rendered in text to know what you defeated because, hey, you're the one that just defeated it. From is merely being judicious with their language usage. Stating the obvious unnecessarily would merely detract from the austere jubilation that YOU DEFEATED embodies.

Johnas

Hawkian said:
Yeah, Anor Londo is my favorite. That area and I really got along, and it looks like I have to revisit it to find some archives.

Well, actually...

Backfoggen said:
Smough and Ornstein are some effers!

This is what I was getting at. :p

I really didn't care much for Anor Londo as a level.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Johnas said:
This is what I was getting at. :p

I really didn't care much for Anor Londo as a level.
Ah well. I'm sure you preferred some area that didn't mesh with a speedy ninja like myself.
ixix said:
"Nonsense?" Pish-tosh and balderdash. You don't need a proper noun rendered in text to know what you defeated because, hey, you're the one that just defeated it. From is merely being judicious with their language usage. Stating the obvious unnecessarily would merely detract from the austere jubilation that YOU DEFEATED embodies.
I didn't mean it was nonsense semantically, just grammatically. It's not a case of prescriptive vs. descriptive either- "to defeat" simply isn't used like that by native speakers of English. If being judicious was the ultimate goal, they could have done the job in six letters- would "you won" really convey a lesser sense of austere jubilation? :p

That said, I fully support the awkward, not-quite-grammatical construction they've used here. It fits. Actually made me laugh out loud the first time I saw it, and I certainly wouldn't have it any other way. But I'm not about to argue it makes any sense!

Anor Londo is my highlight so far. The detour through the church, the
painted world
, invading
Lautrecs world
, just the look and feel of the area... great stuff.

I am about to snap my disc in half.
I am extremely sick of running from demon's ruins to bed of chaos through the shortcut only to have bed of chaos OHKO or push me into the hole. >_<

Also, screw the dark phantom and vengeance asshat who invaded and killed me while i was trying to kill the area -- i went back to get my soul and kill kirk for the last time and i got invaded before i made it through the shortcut, killed and all my shit gone.

sixghost

Ugh, I just killed Sif again on my 2nd character. Still feels bad. I never saw the attack when he falls over on his back. I just want to leave the arena every time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
corrosivefrost said:
I am extremely sick of running from demon's ruins to bed of chaos through the shortcut only to have bed of chaos OHKO or push me into the hole. >_<

Also, screw the dark phantom and vengeance asshat who invaded and killed me while i was trying to kill the area -- i went back to get my soul and kill kirk for the last time and i got invaded before i made it through the shortcut, killed and all my shit gone.
That's the boss that took me the most tries, but the run was.... Maybe you should try going from the bonfire by the wall centipede? It takes like under 60 seconds for me from there, just running past everything.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Septimius said:
I feel you :((
Yeah. You guys may want to spoiler this stuff, but indeed. One of the most memorable boss battles ever for me, maybe the most, by the time I "won" it. There was no "FUCK YEAH!" after that one (like when I firebombed Ornstein with 1/20th of my life left :p)

sixghost

corrosivefrost said:

What's the problem with that boss? You just kill the first glowing root, then carefully work your way back to the entrance area, then go slow to the next root. Just block his attacks and watch for the areas of the floor that crumble, then just jump to the root back in the middle.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
corrosivefrost said:

Don't use the shortcut for the boss unless you have no other choice.

Go the proper route via Demon Firesage and Centipede Demon, and there's a bonfire out in the lava field much closer and easier for the repeated runs for BoC.

If you've got good fire-resist gear and access to the pyromancy flash sweat you can possibly get by without the charred orange ring... but it'll be a push.

Dever

Banned
corrosivefrost said:

Bed of Chaos is the worst boss in the game. If only From could've just cut it out of the game when they realized it was the only boss in the entire game with check points...

Hawkian said:
That's the boss that took me the most tries, but the run was.... Maybe you should try going from the bonfire by the wall centipede? It takes like under 60 seconds for me from there, just running past everything.

That's where I'm going from -- I've only been killing the capra demon, the taurus demon, and the prowling demon.

sixghost said:
What's the problem with that boss? You just kill the first glowing root, then carefully work your way back to the entrance area, then go slow to the next root. Just block his attacks and watch for the areas of the floor that crumble, then just jump to the root back in the middle.

The last part -- I'm on NG+ -- getting hit while running for the root in the middle is the problem. It manages to clip me one way or another and 1 shot me or push me down the hole.

Mjunter

Oh wow the fight against
Pinwheel
lasted literally 6 seconds. I think I should really just finish the story now lol.

Dever

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
That's where I'm going from -- I've only been killing the capra demon, the taurus demon, and the prowling demon.

There's also a bonfire behind an illusory wall inside one of the buildings in Lost Izalith.

i'm still confused about why i'm getting summoned by japanese people 95% of the time. if i try to play on early morning japan time, i'm not getting summoned at all.

this is weird and i have no solution to this problem.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dever said:
There's also a bonfire behind an illusory wall inside one of the buildings in Lost Izalith.
Corrosivefrost, you want to be going from this bonfire, sorry. You won't fight anything on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom