• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is it a bullshit rumour that they're going to improve framerate in the upcoming patch?
'cause I might hold off a bit if that's the case, I just have a hard time believe in it.

Jonsoncao said:
LOL@the new thread title.
Exactly!
Is the clams in Ash Lake and Crystal Cave the best way to farm Twinkling Titanite? Thinking of upgrading a Black Knight Great Sword to +5. Finally got the Black Knight Shield. Farming the last few upgrades before doing the last area.
Is it possible to ascend the Pryomancy Flame +15 any higher? Wasn't there a flame that scaled with int?

Jonsoncao

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Is it a bullshit rumour that they're going to improve framerate in the upcoming patch?
'cause I might hold off a bit if that's the case, I just have a hard time believe in it.
Apparently improving framerate is something that needs a complete game engine overhaul.

tc farks

Alright I just used some titanite shards to upgrade the Gargoyle Tail Axe to +5 I believe. Figuring that along with the drake sword, I should make 1 divine weapon, 1 occult weapon, and of course eventually get the lightning spear. Isn't the divine useful in I believe, the catacombs or something?

Looking at the upgrade chart, I would now need 5 large shards to get to +10. I figured since I have the demon titanite, it might as well go here right? And the only thing between +10 and the demon titanite is a boss soul, and the only one I have is the Moonlight Butterfly one, does this work? And is it worth it?

I know people have made great posts, and put up some really handy charts, yet I am still confused. Should I save the large shards I come across (I have none right now), to use for my occult upgrade? And not be messing with this tail axe?

Jonsoncao

Banned
zerokoolpsx said:
Exactly!
Is the clams in Ash Lake and Crystal Cave the best way to farm Twinkling Titanite? Thinking of upgrading a Black Knight Great Sword to +5. Finally got the Black Knight Shield. Farming the last few upgrades before doing the last area.
Is it possible to ascend the Pryomancy Flame +15 any higher? Wasn't there a flame that scaled with int?
You could modify the Flame+15 to Ascended Flame+1 at Quelana the Izalith, which will change the look of the flame icon.

Wallachia

Just improve matchmaking/summoning and I will be happy. I was cursing last nite.. Level 40 in Blighttown by Quelaag, and STILL only 2 summons in 2 hours I think..

MechaX

Felix Lighter said:
I gave the
white lady 30 humanity and reached level 2 in the Chaos Servant convenient
. When will I have access to the shortcut?

You'll be able to activate it when
you beat the boss of Anor Londo, get the Lord Vessel, and place the lord vessel somewhere to lift the yellow fog.

Zzoram

After opening up the Lost Izalith short cut, will it stay open if I leave the chaos covenant?

I want to join the darkwraith to get the unique item for the rare weapon trophy.

scy

zerokoolpsx said:
Exactly!

There's a Catalyst that lets you use Fire spells, if that's what you mean; there's no Flame that scales with INT and no Casting "tool" that beats the MAG Adjust of the Flames. You can ascend the Pyromancy Flame +15 into a Pyromancy Flame (same name, different icon) via an NPC in the Swamp at Blighttown.
She's basically straight out from Quelaag's Lair on the first small island you see on the left.

As for Twinkling Titanite, Crystal Cave is the best spot but it's still rather /wrists inducing. There's a glitch to get them faster if you don't have a moral/ethical disdain for it; it'll save you a lot of time in the long run. Essentially you
go to trade an item for Twinkling Titanite with Snuggly (any of the Moss Clumps; the Toxic one gets you 2), quit out and reload, drop the item again and then pick up the Titanite. Quit out and reload again, drop the item again and then pick up the Titanite. Repeat. To end it and be able to come back later, drop the item for the trade, pick up the Titanite, and then pick the item back up.

MechaX said:
You'll be able to activate it when
you beat the boss of Anor Londo, get the Lord Vessel, and place the lord vessel somewhere to lift the yellow fog.
Hmmmmmmmm... I already did that. Where is the shortcut?
I thought it was the stone wall in the back of her cave

scy

Felix Lighter said:

It's right before the boss of the
Demon Ruins
. Right before the fog door, look to your right and head that way. There will be a few maggots in the hallway (four) and then five more beyond the door; make sure to kill them before you end up
entering Lost Izalith if you want to save Solaire.
One of them should drop the Sunlight Maggot as well and that will make the Tomb a lot easier if you haven't done it yet.

Edit:

Brobzoid said:
need to farm humanities! Is the depths and it's rats my best bet?

;_;

Tomb of the Giants, right before the boss. The baby skeletons drop Humanity pretty commonly and infinitely respawn without you having to leave (also give 121 Souls per kill). Great spot to farm souls AND Humanity.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Haven't made it to the tomb of giants yet. just beat the archives after having placed the lordvessel. ;-/

scy

Brobzoid said:
Haven't made it to the tomb of giants yet. just beat the archives after having placed the lordvessel. ;-/

Then I'd go do that :) But, yeah, the rats are the next best bet really.

MechaX

Felix Lighter said:

As the other poster mentioned,
you're looking for a right passage immediately after where the yellow fog was but before the normal fog to the boss. That stone wall leads to nowhere, unfortunately.

Dever said:
There's also a bonfire behind an illusory wall inside one of the buildings in Lost Izalith.

Thanks, but only pertinent if you're not using the shortcut. I wasn't about to try to take down both demon firesage and centipede demon followed by dealing with the lost izalith dragon asses just to get a little easier route to deal with bed of chaos over and over... the point of the shortcut, 90% of the time, is to skip the lava section (amongst other things). :)

I did eventually get him, but it shouldn't have taken me 20+ tries to get in the center root.

Donthizz# said:
no, baby skeletons in Tomb of the Giants is the best place to farm humanity...

Either that or the Pisaca in the jail of duke's archives.
If you don't have homeward miracle, baby skeletons are probably better.

Owzers

Best place to farm souls, for me, has been helping people with Nito because you also get a lot of Dark Phantom Kirk killing for an extra 20k of souls each time if the person hasn't killed it yet. I got around 600k souls farming Nito before leaving the Tomb of Giants Xo.

scy said:
It's right before the boss of the
Demon Ruins
. Right before the fog door, look to your right and head that way. There will be a few maggots in the hallway (four) and then five more beyond the door; make sure to kill them before you end up
entering Lost Izalith if you want to save Solaire.
One of them should drop the Sunlight Maggot as well and that will make the Tomb a lot easier if you haven't done it yet.

Edit:

Tomb of the Giants, right before the boss. The baby skeletons drop Humanity pretty commonly and infinitely respawn without you having to leave (also give 121 Souls per kill). Great spot to farm souls AND Humanity.
Ok thanks I just killed the
demon ruins boss
. I found it but I may have only killed 8. I lost track when will I find out?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Baby skeletons are head and shoulders better than anywhere else, because you have an endless supply of easy to kill mobs. If you can get there without too much hassle, its a no-brainer.

Brobzoid

with merchants that have limited supply; do they ever re-up? if so, based on what? like, I bought three purging stones from the bell tower dude and that's all he had. Do I have to use them in order for him to get more, or is it tied to quitting/restarting or something else?

Brobzoid

Speevy said:
Okay, Seathe was easy as hell. That was the easiest boss fight in the entire game, seriously.
He kept thrashing at me when I tried to poke him in the butt. I died several times! >:c

Clear said:
Baby skeletons are head and shoulders better than anywhere else, because you have an endless supply of easy to kill mobs. If you can get there without too much hassle, its a no-brainer.

Lies. If you use homeward miracle, I find the archives preferable. I get 2-3 on a normal run and I don't have to worry about the damn drops disappearing if I can't get to them quick enough.

sillymonkey321 said:
Best place to farm souls, for me, has been helping people with Nito because you also get a lot of Dark Phantom Kirk killing for an extra 20k of souls each time if the person hasn't killed it yet. I got around 600k souls farming Nito before leaving the Tomb of Giants Xo.

You mean Leeroy? Because Kirk only appears in the Depths/Demon's Ruins/Lost Izalith.

Zzoram

duckroll said:
I should probably mention that we're not going to Community this Friday after all, after some top level negotiations. We will eventually still get there, but not just yet. :)
Praise the sun!

Speevy

Banned
Is the Dark Souls trilogy of threads one of the highest in the forum's history?

I realize you have to take into account Halo 3, Oblivion, etc. but it seems like a lot of posts.

anddo0 said:
what? Your drop rates must have been incredible.

If I didn't have a ton of idle time, I'd estimate I'd be about there -- I need to finish off archives, tomb, and painted world quickly, then I'm on NG++ for my last Sif soul and turning in Gwyn's soul for a weapon. last I checked my clock was around 120.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Moving this thread to community this early on would be a mistake, I feel. Glad to see the thread is still out here for people to use.

burgerdog

Speevy said:
Is the Dark Souls trilogy of threads one of the highest in the forum's history?

I realize you have to take into account Halo 3, Oblivion, etc. but it seems like a lot of posts.
Reach is on its 7th OT.

Zzoram

The presence of the Demon's Souls and Dark Souls thread in Gaming is what brings in new people. It's not a small insular community, most of the posts are new people asking how to do stuff or where to go next.

The point of Community is to banish threads where only the same 10 people post. This isn't that type of thread, and won't be for a long time.

Brobzoid

Speevy said:
I just kept chasing one of his limbs and smacking it until he died.
I eventually ended up doing that after giving up on his butt drop. I haven't been very successful in getting boss drops. caved on trying to get the skinny guy last in anor londo and mistakenly killed the half breed while attempting to get her tail off of her. It's all so bittersweet. ;-(

Speevy

Banned
You know, I'm probably about to eat all my boss souls. No one will forge anything for me, because I don't have anything that needs forging.

I have Sif, Pinwheel, Quelaag, Iron Golem, Smough and some others I forget.

Atolm

anddo0 said:
what? Your drop rates must have been incredible.

Today I started NG+ and I managed to reach and beat Anor Londo in barely 4 hours. My total playtime is 80 hours. Missing only the rare weapons trophy and the alternate ending trophy, I think I'll get the platinum before the 100 hours mark :p

Brobzoid

Speevy said:
You know, I'm probably about to eat all my boss souls. No one will forge anything for me, because I don't have anything that needs forging.

I ate the butterfly soul. got like 1500 souls or something. hardly worthwhile.

scy

corrosivefrost said:
Lies. If you use homeward miracle, I find the archives preferable. I get 2-3 on a normal run and I don't have to worry about the damn drops disappearing if I can't get to them quick enough.

While they disappear fast, I tend to get one Humanity per full spawn of baby skeletons (run up the ramp, wait a few seconds, run back down; think it's around ~10 skeletons?). It took me maybe two hours total to get 200k souls and 100-ish Humanity? I don't really know the exacts, some "wasted" time from getting summoned for invasions and stuff.

Zzoram

Speevy said:

The Anor Londo blacksmith forges boss souls into stuff with +10 weapons.

scy said:
While they disappear fast, I tend to get one Humanity per full spawn of baby skeletons (run up the ramp, wait a few seconds, run back down; think it's around ~10 skeletons?). It took me maybe two hours total to get 200k souls and 100-ish Humanity? I don't really know the exacts, some "wasted" time from getting summoned for invasions and stuff.

I'd get 2-3 drops in clusters every 25 or so skeletons.. but I'd be in a stabbing animation and another skeleton would spawn over the humanity drop and make it disappear before i could strafe to pick it up. I farmed something like 60 humanity from the Pisaca in like 40 minutes. That was good enough for me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom