• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Zzoram said:
The Anor Londo blacksmith forges boss souls into stuff with +10 weapons.

Can he make me a better axe than the lightning greataxe I keep upgrading?

Bear in mind I don't have 50 STR.

Wikispaces page

Crystal Ring shield is good, and I'm enjoying Quelaags Furyblade

I also upgraded to the Lifehunt Scyth - but was rather unimpressed with it and went to my bottomless box - maybe I just need to try having higher bleed resist and giving it another go, but all in all a big 'meh' - and most of the other upgrade options just don't appeal to my current character.

I just recall the upgrade options from Demon's Souls seeming more complex/varied - and really having a tough time deciding what to use my souls on (toss in needing to use souls to get some spells also..)

maomaoIYP

Just experienced an odd bug. Rescued Lautrec, he didn't show up in Firelink. Came back up from Blighttown and he's still missing and my keeper is still alive! I had a playthrough where the first thing I did was kill Quelaag, and even then when I came back up the keeper was dead even though I never met Lautrec.....

Baha

The Four Kings in NG+ can go eat a dick. They are the Demon's Souls equivalent of Flamelurker in NG+ but times 4.

Speevy

Banned
24FrameDaVinci said:
Anyone wanna help me beat the fuck out of the Iron Golem? Standing in front of his room right now, SL 45, PS3 version.

Walk behind him, hit him, walk behind him, hit him, walk behind him, hit him.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
corrosivefrost said:
I'd get 2-3 drops in clusters every 25 or so skeletons.. but I'd be in a stabbing animation and another skeleton would spawn over the humanity drop and make it disappear before i could strafe to pick it up. I farmed something like 60 humanity from the Pisaca in like 40 minutes. That was good enough for me. :)

Sorry but there's no way that warping to and from a bonfire is as fast as running in a tight circle to spawn 5-7 skellies per loop. As I described in another post its all about corralling them into a cluster so a single shot off the ramp with an elemental weapon kills them all.

Best weapon I found was Lightning Winged Spear+5 because thanks to its range you can see the drops as soon as they appear. Using shorter range weapons is less efficient because you spend more time in the water, which of course causes yet more skellies to respawn complicating matters.

The key is that once you've killed the pinwheel clones you're in an empty area where mobs only spawn at a time of your choosing (when you enter the water). So you have time and space to work on figuring out the best technique for you.

Beats

rogerroger22 said:
I just recall the upgrade options from Demon's Souls seeming more complex/varied

Yeah. I miss the "Crushing", "Sharp" and other options that changed the stat scaling of a weapon significantly when fully upgraded. I was really surprised to see those missing, and I thought that maybe the Normal option in this game would increase the stat letter grades the further you upgrade the weapon, but they don't change at all.

24FrameDaVinci said:
Anyone wanna help me beat the fuck out of the Iron Golem? Standing in front of his room right now, SL 45, PS3 version.

If you can't find anyone try summoning the NPC phantom Iron Tarkus in the building to the right of the boss door.

Jonsoncao

Banned
24FrameDaVinci said:
He is not that hard even for SL 1 if the explosive jar tossing giant on the roof is killed, just run and hit between his swings, his ways of attacking are very patternized.

There have been moments during this game where I've genuinely felt it was making a case for itself as one of the best games I've ever played. I've absolutely loved it. But strangely, I'm now up to the Duke's Archives and I've lost the determination to carry on. Maybe I've played too much and burnt it out, or maybe this area isn't as interesting as the earlier ones? Anyone else felt the same?

Also, since I've pumped a lot of points into vitality, my health bar is huge and the game seems to have lost its sense of danger in a way, which has made it a lot easier. Just having the large health bar has given me confidence to be a little bit less hasty, and instead of being punished for going in 'guns blazing', I seem to be kicking ass. I'm finding the game really easy now and not as fun. Barring the boss fights - The Four Kings were damn tough.

scy

corrosivefrost said:
I'd get 2-3 drops in clusters every 25 or so skeletons.. but I'd be in a stabbing animation and another skeleton would spawn over the humanity drop and make it disappear before i could strafe to pick it up. I farmed something like 60 humanity from the Pisaca in like 40 minutes. That was good enough for me. :)

To be fair, I don't know the spot you're talking about so I haven't tried it. I need the White Chunks/Slabs still for making more Occult weapons so I've been grinding there with my Covenant ring on to warp out. I use a Claymore so it arcs wide fairly well so I can just lock-on and swing and it catches basically everything. I miss a few Humanity every now and then but, for the most part, I get them all.

For how I'm doing my grinding, just as a single sit-down session in between invasions, it works out better.

That said, I have like 150 Humanity or something ridiculous like that (99 inventory, something like 60 on the HUD) so the drops are pretty much irrelevant now :/

TerryWogan said:
There have been moments during this game where I've genuinely felt it was making a case for itself as one of the best games I've ever played. I've absolutely loved it. But strangely, I'm now up to the Duke's Archives and I've lost the determination to carry on. Maybe I've played too much and burnt it out, or maybe this area isn't as interesting as the earlier ones? Anyone else felt the same?

Also, since I've pumped a lot of points into vitality, my health bar is huge and the game seems to have lost its sense of danger in a way, which has made it a lot easier. Just having the large health bar has given me confidence to be a little bit less hasty, and instead of being punished for going in 'guns blazing', I seem to be kicking ass. I'm finding the game really easy now and not as fun. Barring the boss fights - The Four Kings were damn tough.

I found that the game started to lose a bit of steam for me once I got to Anor Londo - the last few levels just are not as interesting/well designed as the earlier ones. You also go from 'souls being a rarity and every death having a sting to it' to 'feeling fairly powerful, souls come easily - and I don't really care if I die and lose them because I can get them back in a matter of a few minutes'.

I remember in Demon's Souls, up-to / including world 1-4 having that 'edge of my seat' feeling and every soul counting. It took me much longer to feel 'powerful' in that game also.

Still enjoyed it enough, and rolled right into NG+ and cleared out the first few areas after beating the boss - but the game went from being 'The best game ever' to 'slightly better than average and lost a bit of that omg-sparkle'.

Speevy

Banned
TerryWogan said:

The Duke's Archives is just annoying for the sake of being annoying.

It's just a bunch of books, annoying archers and mages, and a pathway to a boss.

God that shortcut. So good. On the
bridge looking over the dozens of half dragons that I don't need to deal with
. It's a multiple play through saver.

Solaire was no where to be found though.
I must have missed something.

Ourobolus

Banned
Goddamn the Capra Demon is kicking my ass. I get stunlocked 90% of the time I try him, and the other 10% I get screwed by the camera. Ugh.

scy

TerryWogan said:

Almost all of my characters feel like they lose some steam during the bits after Anor Lando. I really feel that the climb to Anor Lando should have been a later thing and having the
souls hunt
be triggered in, say New Londo after the bells being run. Or something like that.

Just something felt anticlimatic, I guess?, to climb up to Anor Lando and then
basically get told "alright, back down you go. Hurry along now!"

K1LLER7

guys, I've just gone through blightown pretty easily at lvl 44 and got alot of loot, got to the spinning wheel, climbed all the way to the top and then ive ended up at drakes valley. with a locked door.
I'm sure i'm missing something? no boss, and i thought the 2nd bell was here too?

J2d

Fuck the bed of chaos and this fucking NG+ bullshit. Half of the attacks one shots me and maybe it's because I haven't spent enough on vitality but it's only because I feel like I have to put off leveling up because your bullshit summon system doesn't work From.

argh.

Johnas

Man, Ornstein and Smough, more like Ornery and smh.

I've killed Smough a few times where just Ornstein was left, but he's such a beast.

Contemplating summoning Solaire and getting it over with, but I'd really like to solo these guys.

Pure melee btw.

x3r0123

Johnas said:

I've killed Smough a few times where just Ornstein was left, but he's such a beast.

Contemplating summoning Solaire and getting it over with, but I'd really like to solo these guys.

Pure melee btw.

you can cheese them by using a crossbow/bow

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
K1LLER7 said:
guys, I've just gone through blightown pretty easily at lvl 44 and got alot of loot, got to the spinning wheel, climbed all the way to the top and then ive ended up at drakes valley. with a locked door.
I'm sure i'm missing something? no boss, and i thought the 2nd bell was here too?

The water wheel path takes you to the valley (and an upper area of Blighttown with some good loot) but the path to the boss is at one end of the lower swamp area. Climb the sand pile that has all those roots coming out of it like giant hairs. Gross.

When ogres start throwing rocks at you, you're headed in the right direction.

UrbanRats

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The water wheel path takes you to the valley (and an upper area of Blighttown with some good loot) but the path to the boss is at one end of the lower swamp area. Climb the sand pile that has all those roots coming out of it like giant hairs. Gross.

Thought they were webs.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
UrbanRats said:
Thought they were webs.

I don't know what it is, really, but it's a very distinctive feature of the environment and should be easy to find if he's looking for it.

You're right that it's probably a giant ball of web, but from far away it looked like sand to me.

Xanathus

Johnas said:

Pure melee btw.
It's easier to kill Ornstein first, then Smough. Just make sure you are using a shield with good lightning resistance.

vilmer_

FUCK. Just got summoned to do the Anor Londo bosses but the guy hadn't opened the shortcut gate yet. It was 3 of us basically doing the level all over again for the first time. We beat the two Giant Knights on the stairs and then someone invades right in front of us. He then tries to lure us into those white harpies and scurries off. We get to the stairs and asshat archers and I made a dash for it up the stairs, get to the top and was hit with that tranquil slow spell. Went around that tight edge and as soon as I round the corner I get blasted off the ledge by this moran and die.

K1LLER7

hey_it's_that_dog said:

cool, thanks for the help :)

anddo0

Wow you guys weren't joking about how broken the strong magic shield is. LMAFO! It's almost unfair, by the time it runs out most bosses are down to half health.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So. Many. Summoning. Failed.

I'm being summoned into other people's games no worries. Here though, when I need help? Urgh.

Zzoram

dreamer3kx said:
Just beat gasping Dragon, Im about level 20, any areas I should go to before Blighttown or can I even go anywhere else?
Go to Drakeroot Garden to farm moss from trees before blighttown.

Mindlog

toasty_T said:
Uhh, the pyro dude at firelink shrine is asking me about the pyro spells I got from the woman in Blighttown.

Do I tell him or no?
I did not.

I did all my levels all out of order. I'm trying to figure out the next weapon for my pyro. I have most of my points in Vit/End and 23 attunement because I wanted the slots. I also have just enough faith for heal and I put dex to 14 for the Great Scythe.

I have no direction with my pyro. In Anor Lando now and it's pretty easy going, but my +5RAW Halberd is a little long in the tooth. I sort of want to start stacking points into dex to cast faster. Is that a good idea?

In the meantime I guess my best bet is to break down the Halberd and take it down the Lightning path. Meh, my ramblings. Any suggestions?

dreamer3kx said:
Just beat gasping Dragon, Im about level 20, any areas I should go to before Blighttown or can I even go anywhere else?
It helps to have the Spider Shield found in, The Depths.
It really helps to have the, Iron Ring. Wiki, may contain spoilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom