• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

How do you get Fire Tempest from Quelana? It says you have to do her a favor in the wiki but doesn't explain what. It's the last Pyromancy I need for that trophy.

Mindlog said:
It helps to have the Spider Shield found in, The Depths.
It really helps to have the, Iron Ring.

Darn I must have missed the spider shield, ill backtrack, jeez I just hate this place, dont think I have the iron ring.

MoxManiac

Mindlog said:
I did not.

I did all my levels all out of order. I'm trying to figure out the next weapon for my pyro. I have most of my points in Vit/End and 23 attunement because I wanted the slots. I also have just enough faith for heal and I put dex to 14 for the Great Scythe.

I have no direction with my pyro. In Anor Lando now and it's pretty easy going, but my +5RAW Halberd is a little long in the tooth. I sort of want to start stacking points into dex to cast faster. Is that a good idea?

In the meantime I guess my best bet is to break down the Halberd and take it down the Lightning path. Meh, my ramblings. Any suggestions?

It helps to have the Spider Shield found in, The Depths.
It really helps to have the, Iron Ring. Wiki, may contain spoilers.

DEX does not make you cast faster, it does absolutely nothing but scale with certain weapons and lets you use weapons with DEX requirement.

IIRC DEX reduced fall damage or something in demons souls. And STR slightly increased attack power. Wonder why they changed that for DS.

EDIT: Lightning Halberd is money, do it unless you don't want an overpowered weapon :p

Defuser

Zzoram said:
How do you get Fire Tempest from Quelana? It says you have to do her a favor in the wiki but doesn't explain what. It's the last Pyromancy I need for that trophy.
Kill bed of chaos.

Mindlog

dreamer3kx said:
Darn I must have missed the spider shield, ill backtrack, jeez I just hate this place, dont think I have the iron ring.
I lucked into having them both before I went down there. It makes things a lot easier.

The easy way to the spider shield:
When you entered Depths and fought the butcher he was at a large table. Behind that table is a hole that drops down over the large rat. The shield is up there iirc.

The Dex thing is like a split second if I remembering that video correctly. However, I really feel like my Vit is high enough. Same with my Endurance. I guess I could keep raising end to have higher poise on my armor and free up a ring slot. I am frequently using wolf ring atm. Sounds like when I make it out of Lando I'll be working on a Lightning Halbred :]

There may not be a more satisfying feeling in gaming than killing invader. 3 in a row tonight and I was only running around in human form to kindle a bunch of fires.

Wallachia

dreamer3kx said:
Ah thank, will do, prep for poison I see, ugh.

Oh and The Depths, what a shit place wanted to kill every vermin in there.

Woe to you, friend. Wait til Blighttown.. you've never seen a more wretched hive of scum and villiany.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
Solaire was no where to be found though.
I must have missed something.

Same here...and this is what I did in NG+, I went to ring the bell in Blighttown first, and then skipped Taurus and went down to Darkroot basin, got up the Darkroot garden and then ring the Gargoyle bell...

And now I couldn't find
Solaire in his original spot toward the sun, neither in the third bonfire in Anor Londo, nor the sunlight altar...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
burgerdog said:
Is it possible to do coop with a friend I removed him from my friendlist? I'm dropping my summoning sign and he can't see it.
Doesn't have anything to do with that- you're in different lobbies. Try canceling and dropping it again every 25 seconds til he sees it.

Pop quiz, hotshot:

What's the best weapon for taking off Priscilla's tail -- bear in mind your STR is 22.

Hurry up, clock's ticking (I'm on my way to claim it now!)

Mindlog

corrosivefrost said:
Pop quiz, hotshot:

What's the best weapon for taking off Priscilla's tail -- bear in mind your STR is 22.

I wailed on it with my Raw Halbred and apparently I missed. She's pretty dead, but no dagger for me.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Beat the god damned boar. Opened a gate thinking it was a shortcut... it.. erm... wasn't?!??! Damn this game is cruel.

one85x

corrosivefrost said:
Pop quiz, hotshot:

One of the katanas would probably work well since their vertical strike will make sure you're only hitting the tail.

Aeana

Relix said:
Beat the god damned boar. Opened a gate thinking it was a shortcut... it.. erm... wasn't?!??! Damn this game is cruel.
That gate is such a tease. That stupid skeleton runs to close it as soon as he sees you. :(

Decided to start a fresh game and see just how out of order you can play the game. First boss down:
Moonlight Butterfly!
. Also managed to get a
Black Knight Halberd from the Knight guarding the shield in Darkroot
, so I'll probably spend some time leveling up to use it, then I might take on
Sif

one85x said:
One of the katanas would probably work well since their vertical strike will make sure you're only hitting the tail.

Lucky for you I have a washing pole +12 and a lightning iaito +3.

I'm just terrified of starting the battle with her and wasting my shot at her tail for free.

frequency

Relix said:
Yeah I was so confused about that part for the longest time. One of the enemies goes and closes it when he sees you. That jerk!

I need help locating a pyromancy spell called Power Within. The wiki says it's under a BIG parasite thing in Blight Town. Can anyone help me out with some more detailed instructions on it's location please? Thanks!

Haunted

Good lord, who designed the Ornstein & Smough boss encounter?

Fire that guy and replace him with someone who knows what he's doing.

frequency

Haunted said:

I felt that was one of the more entertaining fights in the game.

Dr. Acid Avatar said:
I need help locating a pyromancy spell called Power Within. The wiki says it's under a BIG parasite thing in Blight Town. Can anyone help me out with some more detailed instructions on it's location please? Thanks!

It's in the top half of blighttown accessed from the depths. If you hit the fog gate in the concrete sewer, you went too far.

From the bonfire, and I might be off a bit here, but you head as you would normally and there's a big bug thing blocking access to the concrete sewer -- it's in that general direction -- try looking for a second ladder -- it should be in the area just before you fight the one large ogre type dude on a slope.

Dr. Acid Avatar said:

You can't really miss it, it's the huge red bug sitting on the wall near the middle of the level. Coming from Valley Of Drakes side you should be able to see it before you start climbing down ladders. It's fairly easy to kill but has a pretty powerful sweep attack if you get too close.

Charmicarmicat said:
You can't really miss it, it's the huge red bug sitting on the wall near the middle of the level. Coming from Valley Of Drakes side you should be able to see it before you start climbing down ladders. It's fairly easy to kill but has a pretty powerful sweep attack if you get too close.

Thanks I'm going to start heading down that way!

Haunted said:

It was the only boss battle that I got coop help for in NG and NG+. I also stuck around and helped 9-10 other people beat them. Hardest fight in the game for me.

Haunted

Y'all crazy.

Felix Lighter said:
It was the only boss battle that I got coop help for in NG and NG+. I also stuck around and helped 9-10 other people beat them. Hardest fight in the game for me.
Good man.

Defuser

Haunted said:

Or you rather have dual maneaters on the narrow walkway leading to death?Smough and Orstein is nothing.

Haunted

Defuser said:
Or you rather have dual maneaters on the narrow walkway leading to death?Smough and Orstein is nothing.
Probably was the same guy!

Dark Souls has the same amount of shitty but easily fixable design decisions as its predecessor. Almost infuriating how close From has come twice now to creating a masterpiece, yet fallen painfully short because of shit design decisions.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Haunted said:

Lolwut duder u sirius? Best boss design in the game

you could
a)cheese them to death
b)summon Solaire or other players
c)fight CQC style like a man
d)use magic/pyro to overkill them

and as always, feels good when you finish them the first time.

krakov

I really wish you could opt out of the PvP without playing offline/hollow. I'd like to look human and I'd prefer the ability to summon people, writing and reading notes, etc. Loosing humanity to exploiters is getting tiresome and I'm sick of farming.

Aeana

Haunted said:
Terrible if that were actually the case.

Priscilla in the painting
was my favourite boss so far.
That was my least favorite as a sorcerer. :| Could not take any of her hits, could not do enough damage to get her to show up. Couldn't even find her to hit her.

JRPereira

Does high poise affect whether you bounce when striking someone's shield? Had some guy two-hand what I believe was the chaos blade against me and I wasn't able to get any breathing time between swings. Also the guy had tranquil walk on and I accidentally hugged a wall for a second while trying to get some distance (SL17 sorc wandering around with the forest covenant ring on).

Think probably the easiest way to kill heavier guys or players accompanied by phantoms in the forest as a covenant member is to head over to where the 3 large cats are. Even high level players don't really want to deal with the cats. Killed what I believe, due to gear, health, endurance, and weapons carried, were a couple of guys at SL35-50 (one guy in full havel gear) by luring them out that way.

Defuser

Jonsoncao said:
Lolwut duder u sirius? Best boss design in the game

you could
a)cheese them to death
b)summon Solaire or other players
c)fight CQC style like a man
d)use magic/pyro to overkill them

and as always, feels good when you finish them the first time.
It's haunted,everytime theres a thread relating to demon souls he would take every opportunity to shit on it.

I wish more armor had special abilities or stats that gave you a reason to wear them. Dark Souls kind of repeats a gripe I had with Demon's in that there is lots of armor that is totally pointless. If they aren't going to have armor do anything special it would actually be better if more of it just had the same stats so you could use it for looks without gimping yourself. It just feels like a total waste to have all this gorgeous armor with comparatively shitty stats sitting in storage for eternity.

Need more stuff like:
-Sunlight maggot
-Dark Moon crown or w/e
-Dress that gives 10% magic bonus
-Grass Shield
-3 family masks

Stuff like this encourages diversity in builds. Everyone wearing the same gear is so boring.

Haunted

Defuser said:
It's haunted,everytime theres a thread relating to demon souls he would take every opportunity to shit on it.
You call it shitting on it, I call it reasonable criticism! That they still haven't separated co-op from PvP play feels like them shitting on us if you ask me.

Aeana said:
That was my least favorite as a sorcerer. :| Could not take any of her hits, could not do enough damage to get her to show up. Couldn't even find her to hit her.
That's a shame. Observing the footprints and listening to the audio cues to hit her at the right time in the right spot with melee was very fun, I thought. That sorcery only works with lock-on (right?) is obviously a huge oversight. Sorry. :/

But I also loved that whole area, by far my favourite so far. Really cool. Too bad it was so short compared to the rest of the areas.

EasyMode

MomoPufflet said:
I wish more armor had special abilities or stats that gave you a reason to wear them. Dark Souls kind of repeats a gripe I had with Demon's in that there is lots of armor that is totally pointless. If they aren't going to have armor do anything special it would actually be better if more of it just had the same stats so you could use it for looks without gimping yourself. It just feels like a total waste to have all this gorgeous armor with comparatively shitty stats sitting in storage for eternity.
Agreed. It sucks that the armor with the best poise is so cartoonish and ugly. I preferred hyper armor movesets in Demon's Souls over the poise stat.

Mindlog

I would have really started to hate Anor Lando if I hadn't bought all of the ancient sorcery spells. I died twice to the griefers that knock you off of the high ledges. Then I remembered I bought all of those spells for no particular reason.

Hidden Body sneak sneak sneak... wait.
Hidden Body sneak sneak sneak... SURPRISE! Grand Combustion in your face asshole.

scy

Prisicilla
was a great fight; I loved the idea of it. And it works out well that she's kind of a pushover outside of the gimmick. Not some ridiculously destructive boss that absolutely wrecks your shit and takes everything you throw at them. She's kind of paper thin.

Incidentally,
I don't think you actually need to hurt her severely to get her to pop; I'm pretty sure I just lobbed a Fire Orb at my feet and it was enough to pop her invisibility when I first fought her.

As for the dynamic duo, I loved the fight. Far better execution than basically any other duo encounter they've done yet. If I have any boss complaints thus far it would be for the rather bland bosses like the
Iron Golem
or the
third times a charm palette swapped (but not ability swapped, oddly) Firesage Demon

On an unrelated note, fuck the Avelyn Crossbow. God I hate that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom