• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRPereira

The ascended flame doesn't have a different name, HOWEVER the image is a bit different. The in-hand flame is larger by a noticeable amount. Also if you tab over to the stats they'll be that much higher.

Haunted

Mindlog said:
I would have really started to hate Anor Lando if I hadn't bought all of the ancient sorcery spells. I died twice to the griefers that knock you off of the high ledges. Then I remembered I bought all of those spells for no particular reason.

Hidden Body sneak sneak sneak... wait.
Hidden Body sneak sneak sneak... SURPRISE! Grand Combustion in your face asshole.
Haha, that's awesome. I felt like a wimp getting knocked around by those huge arrows. Fell off twice before I just said fuck it and charged right through.

scy said:
Prisicilla
was a great fight; I loved the idea of it. And it works out well that she's kind of a pushover outside of the gimmick. Not some ridiculously destructive boss that absolutely wrecks your shit and takes everything you throw at them. She's kind of paper thin.

Incidentally,
I don't think you actually need to hurt her severely to get her to pop; I'm pretty sure I just lobbed a Fire Orb at my feet and it was enough to pop her invisibility when I first fought her.
Heh, you inadvertently used the perfect counter, I think. She uncloaks immediately when hit with any fire attack. With regular attacks it depends on the damage you do.

Aeana

elohel said:
so anyone else feel like this game is genuinely harder than demons souls?
They seem about equal to me.
Although I don't really find much in Demon's Souls to be overly difficult.

Also, I think that the mechanics of magic make a magic user easier to use and manage in Dark Souls than Demon's.

Defuser

Aeana said:
I tried using pyromancy for that but I just could not hit her no matter where I used it.
Summary: I'm bad.
Try using fire orbs or projectiles with aoe and try to hit somewhere near her.You will bound hit her.I got lucky on my first throw and went to town on her.

edit:I find dark souls bosses are harder because they relied on cheap tricks. Demon souls actually has bosses who are challenging and puts up a good fight.Not to mention some of them has interesting concpeta such the old monk and storm king.

Sullichin

Aeana said:
I tried using pyromancy for that but I just could not hit her no matter where I used it.

Yeah I couldn't do this either. Most annoying boss so far.

Is the bonfire inside Anor Londo - right after the double archer part - the best place to leave my summon sign as a hollow?

scy

Haunted said:
Haha, that's awesome. I felt like a wimp getting knocked around by those huge arrows. Fell off twice before I just said fuck it and charged right through.

Heh, you inadvertently used the perfect counter, I think. She uncloaks immediately when hit with any fire attack. With regular attacks it depends on the damage you do.

Well, I actually knew she
uncloaked from Fire damage; was noting that it's an easy way to pop her. Otherwise, yeah, she takes a pounding before she can uncloak.

Aeana said:

I had practiced a lot vs the Assassin in Darkroot Garden so I was pretty used to hitting an unlocked target. The issue was not getting knocked out of casting animation. Great Chaos Fireball is the ideal choice since she'll just waltz right into the lava spread :/ I just didn't have it on that character so I just lobbed Orbs at my feet and hoped for the best.

Xanathus

Aeana said:
The trick is to
run straight to the exit behind her and wait right at the bottom of the steps facing towards the gate and keep blocking while looking at the snow. Since there's only one entrance/exit there, you can easily tell where she is.

Aeana

Defuser said:
Try using fire orbs or projectiles with aoe and try to hit somewhere near her.You will bound hit her.I got lucky on my first throw and went to town on her.
Well, I already beat her, but the method I fell back on after 10+ failed attempts to get her to show herself is equip a drake sword and swing haphazardly.

Haunted

Sullichin said:
Yeah I couldn't do this either. Most annoying boss so far.

Is the bonfire inside Anor Londo - right after the double archer part - the best place to leave my summon sign as a hollow?
Right at the bonfire or in front of the boss' door are where I see most of the summoning signs.

Defuser

Relix said:
I am a Warrior.

Can I have magic attacks? :p!
Just pump in some int stats to least have the requirement to cast it but I reccomend Pyromancy as a better alternative since it doesn't rely on stats to make it powerful.

elohel said:

Parts in each are harder than the other; on average I think they are about the same. The beginning of Dark Souls is harder by virtue of the open world-- as little as Demon's held your hand at the start, Dark Souls does even less. I felt like there were more "fuck I can't do this" moments in Demon's. I overcame problem areas more quickly in Dark Souls. Etc, etc

tokkun

Sullichin said:
I really wanna help other people fight O&S, having no luck at sl64.. i haven't been able to be summoned in such a long time

Yeah, I think it's gotten worse. When I started trying to co-op that boss at SL60 I would get takers every 10-20 minutes. The last couple days I would put down my sign and leave the game for 30+ minutes with no summonings. Just gave up and decided to start increasing my levels again and hope that the patch does something to fix online.

elohel said:
I feel that there are a lot more cheap deaths in this game, but otherwise, they're about the same. The difficulty in Demon's Souls was perfect, where as in this game there's a lot more bullshit.

Wow, holy shit, that was easy.

We have a new champ. Iaito (lightning, +3) took off that bitch's tail like butter. It also made it the easiest melee only bossfight I've had in almost 2 full play throughs. :lol

Invisibility? Fuck you, I'm a samurai. Iaito R2 vindicated again. :D

Sullichin

tokkun said:
Yeah, I think it's gotten worse. When I started trying to co-op that boss at SL60 I would get takers every 10-20 minutes. The last couple days I would put down my sign and leave the game for 30+ minutes with no summonings. Just gave up and decided to start increasing my levels again and hope that the patch does something to fix online.

It's a shame. My time online with this game is minimal, and not from a lack of trying. When it works it's really cool.

Defuser said:
Just pump in some int stats to least have the requirement to cast it but I reccomend Pyromancy as a better alternative since it doesn't rely on stats to make it powerful.

As a warrior where can I get some Pyromancy spells?

Being melee only at the moment (apart from my bow) is a bit limiting.

Booshka

Screwing around in the Forest on NG+++ and got invaded a few times after about 15 mins of waiting/clearing out NPC's. I killed two of them very easily, started using the Crystal Ring Shield to block magic, Holy shit why didn't I think of this earlier. I was sitting on the staircase just chilling, waiting for the dude to spawn right to left and below it. Once I saw him start spawning, I went two-handed and did a plunging attack, one-hit kill for 600 damage before he even saw me lol.

I don't mind doing this kind of cheese because it is the Forest Covenant, anything goes anyway. Since I don't use TWoP or Fog Ring, I'm just gonna camp their spawn and rush 2H with my BK Great Axe. Most of them were way under my level anyway.

Grinchy

Banned
elohel said:
I never got the Drake Sword and I basically avoided the wiki and all spoilers up until Blighttown. I thought the first third or so of the game felt harder than DeS. I'm sure anyone who spammed the Drake Sword and used exploits found it to be an easier game.

sixghost

I need some help saving
Solaire
. I'm standing right outside of the fog gate to the Firesage Demon, and I need to know what to do after I fight him. The guide and wiki are kind of confusing.

It says Solaire is in an area following the Centipede Demon, but that area seems really close to Lost Izalith, which it makes very clear I'm not supposed to enter the regular way.

Aeana

Grinchy said:
I never got the Drake Sword and I basically avoided the wiki and all spoilers up until Blighttown. I thought the first third or so of the game felt harder than DeS. I'm sure anyone who spammed the Drake Sword and used exploits found it to be an easier game.
Well, I got the drake sword but I never used it for anything but the weak zombies. I'm a sorcerer, so I pretty much just use magic. Magic in Dark Souls, though, works so differently between the charge system and the bonfire system that it just feels so much easier and freer to use and manage. In Demon's Souls, MP management was a hassle for me. Farming for MP restoratives, waiting for MP to regenerate sometimes because I don't want to waste one, etc. etc. None of that exists in Dark Souls - I set out from a bonfire knowing exactly how many times I can cast something, and usually I'm fairly confident I won't run out before I hit a bonfire. And honestly, at the end of the game, I've never even come close to running out thanks to the bonfire system that lets me venture out, get to know the level, and then usually open up a shortcut to the bonfire, which lets me refresh and essentially pick up where I left off.

For that matter, I also love the way flask works for a similar reason. You set out knowing exactly how many times you can heal, and it just doesn't feel the same as using grass that you have stocked up. You know that if you go to a bonfire, you get your flask stock refilled for free.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I admire the way things are implemented in Dark Souls.

psykomyko

Had the worst night of playing this game tonight...

For some reason I cannot beat
Sif or Seath, but I have beaten S&O
. The
Sif
boss fight seems so impossible to me for some reason, he is incredibly unpredictable so I can never understand his pattern, and everytime I get underneath him to avoid his attacks, he some how pulls me out with one of his swings and hits me.

linko9

psykomyko said:
Had the worst night of playing this game tonight...

For some reason I cannot beat
Sif or Seath, but I have beaten S&O
. The
Sif
boss fight seems so impossible to me for some reason, he is incredibly unpredictable so I can never understand his pattern, and everytime I get underneath him to avoid his attacks, he some how pulls me out with one of his swings and hits me.

You just need to make sure you've got a shield with good stability. An upgraded Eagle shield has a low strength req, and low weight. Try that out (you find it in blighttown on a buttress). Then just shield constantly, while running towards him. Then just attack, he really can't hit you if you stay just behind his front legs.

Edit: And for Seath, just run up to the front of him and hack away, then run away, wait for him to do his crystal breath, and for the crystals to go away, and then run in again. Alternately, just lock only him and fire arrows at him while backing away, leading him in a circle around the arena. It's impossible for him to hit you.

scy

Aeana said:
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I admire the way things are implemented in Dark Souls.

Agreed. I wasn't sure how I'd like the idea of "lol always got potions!!" and the Magic charge system but they both work so well with the way the areas were laid out and the bonfire system in general. Grass was so abundant in Demon's Souls anyway so this setup is actually a limiting factor to a point; rationing how much you have per attempt out but you'll always have that available. And I don't sit around with HP Regen equipment to be swapped in at all times, which is nice.

On the other hand, Magic as a set of charges means I'm free to know exactly what I'm going to have at my disposal rather than hoping for regen ticks to get that extra spell cast off. It makes a lot of progression feel a lot more natural and controlled and I'm using my spells a lot more than before where it was basically, "I can go wild, I farmed some spice before hand!"

Now, I just wish they can do some more with the equipment system (more Uniques worth a damn, namely) and they'll have basically those done as well as I'd want them.

Dresden

One thing I wish had happened is for the player to always be restricted to five flasks. Kindling would probably other benefits like 10% health bonus instead, I dunno.

linko9

I Push Fat Kids said:
I thought bowcheese worked? The strat guide lies!

Apparently if you climb up the tower just before where the first armored boar was (with the black knight up top), you can sometimes see the dragon and shoot him, which will cause him to fall through the level and die. But he's never been there when I climb the tower.

Booshka

burgerdog said:
There's an invader hiding somewhere and I want to stop playing. Is he going to get my 300k souls if I jump to my death?
I think so, but you can go retrieve them on your bloodstain when you come back. Die somewhere close to a bonfire.

burgerdog

Booshka said:
I think so, but you can go retrieve them on your bloodstain when you come back. Die somewhere close to a bonfire.
Finally got him. He decided to show up when another invader came in. Pulled through and quickly ran to the fire. Whew.

sleepykyo

tokkun said:

8 out 10 attempts to invade using cracked stone failed for me tonight.

Grinchy

Banned
Aeana said:
Well, I got the drake sword but I never used it for anything but the weak zombies. I'm a sorcerer, so I pretty much just use magic. Magic in Dark Souls, though, works so differently between the charge system and the bonfire system that it just feels so much easier and freer to use and manage. In Demon's Souls, MP management was a hassle for me. Farming for MP restoratives, waiting for MP to regenerate sometimes because I don't want to waste one, etc. etc. None of that exists in Dark Souls - I set out from a bonfire knowing exactly how many times I can cast something, and usually I'm fairly confident I won't run out before I hit a bonfire. And honestly, at the end of the game, I've never even come close to running out thanks to the bonfire system that lets me venture out, get to know the level, and then usually open up a shortcut to the bonfire, which lets me refresh and essentially pick up where I left off.

For that matter, I also love the way flask works for a similar reason. You set out knowing exactly how many times you can heal, and it just doesn't feel the same as using grass that you have stocked up. You know that if you go to a bonfire, you get your flask stock refilled for free.

I love the flask system for this reason, too. I really felt like it encouraged me to keep re-trying areas. I didn't have to worry about buying healing items. If I got really far in and ran out of flasks, then I knew I was just doing a shitty job at getting through the area. If I died, I'd just restart it right away. It made me better at the game.

Despite being near the end of the game, I still haven't used a single spell. My character is all melee. I think I'm going to make a sorcerer next and your comments about the magic are making me really excited to do so. Magic made DeS a bit easy at times, but only if you farmed some MP items. I really like the fact that in DkS you are magically limited until you build your character up. That's how it should be, imo. And I like that it's similar to flasks in that I can screw up in an area by using magic up too quickly so I have to restart it and play more efficiently the next time through.

Booshka

tokkun said:
Isn't this what the black separation crystal is for?
No, that gets rid of phantoms you summoned to co op with you, a very douchey thing to do if you are about to beat the boss and want all the Souls.

I Push Fat Kids said:
I thought bowcheese worked? The strat guide lies!

It does work. I shot him from under the bridge (first right side - tail, then left side - head) with a short bow + something and it took about 200-300 arrows to take him down.
Never saw him healing himself, but he was constantly flying back and forth so maybe it depends on you not letting him sit idle for too long.

mudkyp

I'm going to add my voice to the choir of
Lost Izelath
haters. No fun at all and the boss for that area totally blew. Great concept though.

Time to wrap up getting all the treasures and work on some final upgrades before beating the game. I have 40 endurance but need 3 more to equip the Black Knight Shield and still roll fast. So annoying ><

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom