• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
ClovingSteam said:
For new page

Ugh I am frustrated. How do you beat the knight to get havals ring? Dude kills me with one hit. I am level 34, vitality 19.

Get better. Or get better weapons. There's no secret.

Donthizz#

ClovingSteam said:
For new page

Ugh I am frustrated. How do you beat the knight to get havals ring? Dude kills me with one hit. I am level 34, vitality 19.

roll or move back when he attacks, and then back stab him..

sixghost

I'm around level 60, at 40 END, 37 VIT. Would miracles be a viable way to spec now? I want to join the Sun bro covenant, and that seems like the fitting way to spec.
ClovingSteam said:
For new page

Join the 100 per page master race.

Also, just get a 100% phys shield, and constantly circle him counter clockwise. He will miss most of his attacks if your character is below 50% encumbrance. The key is backstabs, just keep circling and backstabbing. It can take a long time.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
God damn, what a brilliant moment of fridge horror and the remorse it drew from me in The Archives:

After killing the snakes guarding the gramophone I could hear a woman crying in the cell below. I killed some of the octopus things that hadn't gone up the stairs and made it to the cell to see Big Hat Logan. I was puzzled to see him there and not a woman but I killed the other 2 octopus creatures next to the cell door since I figured that if I free him before doing so, he'd go hollow if they attack him. But the cell doesn't open so I read the description on the keys I have, wondering if maybe I need yet another key. I also read the description of the miracles the octopus creatures dropped.
Then it hits hit me. Oh shit, those octopus creatures were the ones crying, they're sun maidens who were turned into monsters by Seath's experiments. I started to feel bad because I was (and still am) unsure if they were aggressive when they saw me. The others attacked me on sight but I'm not sure if these did since I had low hp from the others and was panicking to stay alive.

For all the bullshit like Lost Izalith and Demon Ruins worms this game can pull, it's moments like these that really make it worth playing.

maomaoIYP

ClovingSteam said:

Wait for him to attack, roll out of the way, backstab or riposte (if you are good at parrying). If you're a sorcerer or pyromancer, replace the backstab with spell of choice. I just did him in not too long ago with 4 spells, my vitality was 10.

JVIDICAN

commish said:
Get better. Or get better weapons. There's no secret.
But there is a secret! :O
Havel will only do one swing when you lure him out of the tower. Until he goes back into the tower he can be hit without fear. :p

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
ClovingSteam said:
For new page

Take off all your armor. Don't lock on. Roll towards and past him when he attacks. Backstab. Repeat.

I did it right after I got the Drake Sword, well before I was level 34. Should still be doable if you don't have the Drake Sword, it will just take longer and therefore a bit more skill/luck.

sixghost

bone_and_sinew said:
Damn, what a brilliant moment of fridge horror and the remorse it drew from me in The Archives:

After killing the snakes guarding the gramophone I could hear a woman crying in the cell below. I killed some of the octopus things that hadn't gone up the stairs and made it to the cell to see Big Hat Logan. I was puzzled to see him there and not a woman but I killed the other 2 octopus creatures next to the cell door since I figured that if I free him before doing so, he'd go hollow if they attack him. But the cell doesn't open so I read the description on the keys I have, wondering if maybe I need yet another key. I also read the description of the miracles the octopus creatures dropped.
Then it hits hit me. Oh shit, those octopus creatures were the ones crying, they're sun maidens who were turned into monsters by Seath's experiments. I started to feel bad because I was (and still am) unsure if they were aggressive when they saw me. The others attacked me on sight but I'm not sure if these did since I had low hp from the others and was panicking to stay alive.
They also have the highest drop rate for humanity. Kind of makes it creepier.

Morris

Disco Devil
ClovingSteam said:
For new page

Always lock-on and move in circles, block only when he's about to hit you, never stop moving and back stab him. I would say that you should roll but rolling got me killed plenty of times. Don't attack him when he's waking up.

I beat him when i was like lvl 12. Him and the Black Knight were mad frustrating lol.

Defuser

DualShadow said:
As a warrior where can I get some Pyromancy spells?

Being melee only at the moment (apart from my bow) is a bit limiting.
You have to save some guy in the depths which he then give you a pyromancy flame and sell you some pyromancy spells.

linko9

ClovingSteam said:

Get a good shield with good stability, and armor with decent poise, or else just get your weight down to 25% and dodge well.

maomaoIYP

Morro! said:
Always lock-on and move in circles, block only when he's about to hit you, never stop moving and back stab him. I would say that you should roll but rolling got me killed plenty of times. Don't attack him when he's waking up.

I beat him when i was like lvl 12. Him and the Black Knight were mad frustrating lol.

Black knights go down real quick with ripostes. I'm playing a sorc with paper thin health and I parry the black knights' attack and cast a spell into his face with the damage bonus modifier.

Morris

Disco Devil
What's a good weapon to use against the Hydra?

I just got the sword from the Hellkite Wyvern (still debating wheter to kill him or not, he's easy though). I'm currently lvl 20 with meh STR stats. Not sure if I should try killing the Hydra now or wait for later.

maomaoIYP said:
Black knights go down real quick with ripostes. I'm playing a sorc with paper thin health and I parry the black knights' attack and cast a spell into his face with the damage bonus modifier.

You mean there are more black knights later on? Oh god ;_;

sixghost

Morro! said:

I just got the sword from the Hellkite Wyvern (still debating wheter to kill him or not, he's easy though). I'm currently lvl 20 with meh STR stats. Not sure if I should try killing the Hydra now or wait for later.

You mean there are more black knights later on? Oh god ;_;
Much, much, much later on. But by that time you'll be extremely excited to see them.

Beat Havel at sl 8. My solution was fire bombs. It took a while. Waited to throw or attack after his attack. No way am I'm attacking first.

Druz

Take off all your armor and go 2 handed + do what the others said, fairly easy once you realize he 1 shots you with or without your armor on so an increase to your movement makes it cake.

So if anyone wants to give me advice on where to head I'm all ears, I'm level 31 ,I've gotten the wolf ring, havels ring and killed the butterfly thing just after ringing the first bell.. no clue where to go

Druz said:
So if anyone wants to give me advice on where to head I'm all ears, I'm level 31 ,I've gotten the wolf ring, havels ring and killed the butterfly thing just after ringing the first bell.. no clue where to go
Ring the 2nd bell at the bottom of blight town?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Roasted
those two boars in the Duke's Archives entrance with my Dragony Breath powers, first try. Feels good.

Booshka

Chinpoko_Master said:
Is there a way to break out of grab attacks? I try to mash buttons to see if it breaks me out any quicker but it doesn't seem to have any effect :/
I mash both attack buttons at the same time, I think it gets me out a little quicker, most of the time I would die if I didn't on NG+ and above difficulty.

Booshka

Hawkian said:
The crystal guys up here can't be backstabbed or parried...?
Treat them just like you did the dudes in
Undead Burg
, they are exactly the same, they just hit a lot harder, and are resistant to weapons damage. Try fire if you have it. They can be parried and backstabbed just like the ones in
Undead Burg.

For the life of me, I can't get Seigmeyer's quest to play out to the best ending... not sure what I'm doing wrong in lost izalith.

Also, I hate fuckin' Nito.

UrbanRats said:
Do the big skeletons in TotG respawn on not?

Yes.
Everything in there, sans the hollow bodyguards for Rhea, Patches if you answer wrong, and the black knight respawn.

How many scales have you offered? I tried it once and it was so weak in 1st play that it got relegated to my bottomless box.

UrbanRats

Zzoram said:
yes after bonfire resting
Oh, because i died, went back there and didn't find the first one, so i hoped.. :|
Well, then i'll need that light spell 100%.

@Corrosivefrost: i don't know what scales you're talking about, cause i barely got into Tomb of the Giants and died falling in a pit while fighting, 2 times, at which point i decided to do Duke's Archives instead (and take that damn light spell).

Zzoram

So now that I've beaten all the bosses except the last boss, what to do?

Farm Kiln for chunks to make weapons for trophies!
Anything else I should do before finishing the game?

Xanathus

Zzoram said:
So now that I've beaten all the bosses except the last boss, what to do?

Farm Kiln for chunks to make weapons for trophies!
Anything else I should do before finishing the game?
Kill all the NPCs. All. Of. Them.

Xanathus

Zzoram said:
Maybe just before I do my final run.

Oh, how do I do the secret stuff in Anor Londo? I have to kill Gwenevyre Amazing Chest?
Just shoot an arrow at her. Best (legit) soul farming spot in the game.

LukeSmith

Got summoned into about 4 S&O fights tonight (SL54). One of my summoners got a blue invader, some odd text (I can't remember what it said) popped up when the invader joined the world. The guy who summoned me into his world hid back by the White Door to S&O and after a prolonged dance with no real exchanges, I absolutely murdered the invader with ye olde Quelaag Fury Sword.

Zzoram

LukeSmith said:
Got summoned into about 4 S&O fights tonight (SL54). One of my summoners got a blue invader, some odd text (I can't remember what it said) popped up when the invader joined the world. The guy who summoned me into his world hid back by the White Door to S&O and after a prolonged dance with no real exchanges, I absolutely murdered the invader with ye olde Quelaag Fury Sword.

blue invaders are part of a specific covenant

Yo Gotti

Banned
LukeSmith said:

Your summoner is a sinner :p.

glaurung

Summoning help into Sen's Fortress is like a circus act, most of them walk off the bridges or get hit by rolling boulders. By the time I reach the trickier sections of the axe pendulums, my nerves are shot and I need a valium.

Fuck Sen's Fortress, fuck it in its ear.

linko9

LukeSmith said:

My weapon of choice as well. Awesome sword.

Grinchy

Banned
Morro! said:

I'd wait til later, but that's just because I was much higher than lvl 20 when I killed it. I used my bandit's knife. Don't remember what level I was.

Zzoram

SL109

where is my best chance of being summoned? I want to get summoned a few times so I can get into the sunlight warrior covenant

Yo Gotti

Banned
Zzoram said:
SL109

where is my best chance of being summoned? I want to get summoned a few times so I can get into the sunlight warrior covenant

I'm SL102 and I've seen a good number of summon signs in Anor Londo. Got invaded there too.

JRPereira

My Sorc's still SL17 and I made it to the fog door for Anor Londo and (as I'm typing this) holy crap I'm being summoned?!

[edit] Helped a guy beat
the twins. Having solaire (his other summon) draw attention while I spammed soul arrows made it pretty much a piece of cake. Probably helps that I was using a fog ring at the time, although I'm not sure exactly how bosses handle it. I didn't get much flak at all. Wasn't even touched.

BeeDog

Damn, the Centipede demon is a whole new fight on NG+. Really problematic since you're easily pushed into the lava, especially when it does its grab attack.

Xanathus

Zzoram said:
I got summoned but the guy was just standing around fighting off invaders. He had a ton of invaders.
Anor Londo's the 4-1 of DrkS. Says a lot of the level design too. If only invaders couldn't use that damn elevator switch...

linko9

Xanathus said:
Anor Londo's the 4-1 of DrkS. Says a lot of the level design too. If only invaders couldn't use that damn elevator switch...

Yup, specifically the bridge where you fight the first gargoyle.

BeeDog

The gimmick boss of Lost Izalith is some of the most janky and awful things I've had to endure this gaming generation. In NG+, you have to have an absurdly high level of luck to jump to the branch (in the awful Dark Souls platforming way), while being bombared by its regular hands and its fire-based super attack. And OF COURSE, it's practically impossible to block these attacks since you need to focus on landing on that stupid branch.

Is there some shield that blocks the damage of the fire swing? My Eagle Shield can block the hands, but it's the fire one that one-shots me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom