• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Community forums can only mean the future for this thread! I ♥ Community

linko9

BeeDog said:
The gimmick boss of Lost Izalith is some of the most janky and awful things I've had to endure this gaming generation. In NG+, you have to have an absurdly high level of luck to jump to the branch (in the awful Dark Souls platforming way), while being bombared by its regular hands and its fire-based super attack. And OF COURSE, it's practically impossible to block these attacks since you need to focus on landing on that stupid branch.

Is there some shield that blocks the damage of the fire swing? My Eagle Shield can block the hands, but it's the fire one that one-shots me.

Really? I never had problems with this on any of my playthroughs. You don't even have to jump you know, the branch curves to the right, so just run off slightly to the right of the center of the hole, and you'll land on the branch by just rolling, or even just running. There's a little piece of floor that juts out a bit, that what you want to run off from. Also, every time you hit one of the things on the side, quit the game and reload, and then when you go in for the center, you'll only have to dodge the hands, never the firestorm.

BeeDog

linko9 said:
Really? I never had problems with this on any of my playthroughs. You don't even have to jump you know, the branch curves to the right, so just run off slightly to the right of the center of the hole, and you'll land on the branch by just rolling, or even just running. There's a little piece of floor that juts out a bit, that what you want to run off from. Also, every time you hit one of the things on the side, quit the game and reload, and then when you go in for the center, you'll only have to dodge the hands, never the firestorm.

It's not the firestorm that's the problem, it's the fire slash that pretty much one hit kills me. As soon as I slide down the ramp, the boss initiates the fire slash. If I'm lucky, I avoid the first slash, but then you have to run ahead to aggro him into using his hands. While blocking these hands (or avoiding them) he pretty much always uses the fire slash, or on occasion, the firestorm. If I'm super-lucky, the drop from the ramp will trigger him to use both the fire slash and the regular swipes, which leaves an opening to run up to him.

Thanks for the tip about the floor piece, will try to use it to line up my drop.

Oh, and the actual biggest problem with the boss is having to travel all the way back every time the fucker obliterates you. Becomes very grating and boring.

Carcetti

Zzoram said:
how do i get souvenirs of reprisal without farming?

what's the best place to invade sinners?

I got indicted for shooting someone's face off with Crystal Soulmass earlier. Not sure how I could trigger those reprisals though. Maybe I need to be in Anor Londo since the dark sun lives there.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DigitalDevil said:
I guess so... I just don't want this thread to die down.
It'll slow down but it'll not die in a year or two :)! Community thread is also way, way more hardcore. The way I want it.

-Mikey-

Just beat it. Think I played a little too long on my first playthrough.

SL 80, roughly 65 hours.

Lost Izalith or w/e, was some real shit. Hell, all three of those bosses that you need before the final fight was quite poor compared to the rest. I'm actually looking forward to getting back into NG+ minus the last bosses, ash lake and blighttown.

Don't really have any goals for NG+ other than improving some weapons and letting that one guy kill the firekeeper at firelink shrine.

schennmu said:
Finished the shitty Rage, I'm finally down for this bad boy!!!!

This brings me to my first question... I played DS with a strength build but would like to focus on DEX this time. Are there cool katana style swords like in DS?

Why do I have to reley on other people to heal me as a phantom :( trying to get into the sun convent and people fighting the centipede dont like to heal me much even if I do 90% of the bloody damage :.

Xanathus

Johnlenham said:
Why do I have to reley on other people to heal me as a phantom :( trying to get into the sun convent and people fighting the centipede dont like to heal me much even if I do 90% of the bloody damage :.
If only the game had spells that let you heal yourself. FROM screwed up big time.

Yoshichan

Just saw Epicnamebro's Ornstein video... god, he's soooo good.

Aguirre

guys, i am really in a rut!!! i stopped playing dark souls for 2 days for health reasons (i have 40hours played in only 3 days!!)

okay, i have beat: depths, blighttown, undeadburg, now on darkroot basin and rung two bells. i get my ass handed to by havel the fucking rock and the hydra too. i am level 41 warrior, still using drakes blade and default armour!!! need desperately some good weapons and a sense of direction because i just feel lost.

oh and sens fortress is too hard.

Yoshichan

Aguirre said:
guys, i am really in a rut!!! i stopped playing dark souls for 2 days for health reasons (i have 40hours played in only 3 days!!)
I love you

BeeDog said:
The gimmick boss of Lost Izalith is some of the most janky and awful things I've had to endure this gaming generation.

yeah it was clearly designed to kill you (NG+) a few times no matter what, better spend all those souls before facing this boss. I understand it should be hard, but not that hard so at the end of the day everything comes down to luck since there's no timing or patterns in place (you can hide behind the pillar/tree on the left and wait until a failed slash, then start running towards its core... but everything that happens after you leave your cover is just random).

Atolm

Yeah, managed to cut Priscilla's tail in NG+ at last, I needed it for the trophy. It's the hardest tail to cut IMO, she has very low HP and you can kill her before the tail falls downs.

Aguirre said:

okay, i have beat: depths, blighttown, undeadburg, now on darkroot basin and rung two bells. i get my ass handed to by havel the fucking rock and the hydra too. i am level 41 warrior, still using drakes blade and default armour!!! need desperately some good weapons and a sense of direction because i just feel lost.

oh and sens fortress is too hard.
Sens Fortress is actually pretty easy since you can kill most enemies using the traps. You also get a superb weapon (Lighting Spear) pretty quickly in there.

Risible

Johnlenham said:

Yeah, I've never understood that.

When I summon phantoms, I hang back and let them do the work. I only run up when one gets hurt to chug a potion to heal them, and then I fade back. Nothing is worse than a gung-ho host that gets himself killed, wasting everyone's time.

Xanathus said:
If only the game had spells that let you heal yourself. FROM screwed up big time.

Not quite what I meant but there we go more an annoyance that in Demonsouls you could so why change it. Stats are way to low for Healing spells anyway.

anddo0

Zzoram said:
how do i get souvenirs of reprisal without farming?

what's the best place to invade sinners?

Anor Londo, it seems to be the place where everyone gets trolled both sinners/non-sinners.

If you farm, the crows in The Painted World is the best place to do it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So you can Max SL in DkS by doing that glitch/cheat?

Friend sent me a link on the how to?

Hopefully invading players aren't @Max when I start

Audioboxer

Damn, I lost like 90k souls and 10 humanity to that red dragon on the bridge last night. Thought before I head to Demon Ruins I'd take care of it.

The cheap way to kill it got patched right? :p

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Wow the catacombs werent nearly as bad as i thought they were gonna be..Now to get through the tomb...sigh. I really hate these areas that i just naturally hate back to back to back. Depths to Blighttown now this.

Grinchy

Banned
Gr1mLock said:
Wow the catacombs werent nearly as bad as i thought they were gonna be..Now to get through the tomb...sigh. I really hate these areas that i just naturally hate back to back to back. Depths to Blighttown now this.
The Depths and Blighttown are like 2 of my favorite areas =(

I don't mind farming large titanite in either area, but I'm starting to prefer the swamp. I just hate getting green ones lol.

Johnlenham said:
Spells will heal you as a phantom, and so will humanity

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is there a way to shake off enemies that jumps on you and tries to devour you? Like the damn trees in Darkroot Garden?

IrishNinja

you know that part in new londo ruins where you drop down to the lower bit, and you're soon mobbed by darkwraiths? any insights for that part?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
IrishNinja said:
you know that part in new londo ruins where you drop down to the lower bit, and you're soon mobbed by darkwraiths? any insights for that part?
Backstab is your best friend.

poweld

schennmu said:
This brings me to my first question... I played DS with a strength build but would like to focus on DEX this time. Are there cool katana style swords like in DS?
The Iaito and The Uchiganata are what you're looking for.

hteng

Banned
StarEye said:
Is there a way to shake off enemies that jumps on you and tries to devour you? Like the damn trees in Darkroot Garden?

nope, be more careful next time, the grabs are slow and can be easily avoided.

IrishNinja said:

don't get grabbed by the darkwraiths, fight them as if PvP, they hit very hard and can block effectively, they can be easily parried as well.

BigAT

So is Pinwheel a real boss? I went in there absolutely blind with no knowledge of the boss or the encounter and still one shot it easily. I'm still not really sure what the gimmick or point of the boss is, I killed it so quickly.

V_Arnold

BigAT said:
So is Pinwheel a real boss? I went in there absolutely blind with no knowledge of the boss or the encounter and still one shot it easily. I'm still not really sure what the gimmick or point of the boss is, I killed it so quickly.

It is hard for those who deal few damage repeatedly (like a multi-hitting combo with a fast sword) cause he likes to create replicas. With my melee char, I oneshotted him but I almost died. With my sorcerer, I needed 2 spell (2 Soul Spear) and that is it. He only made one replica.

At one point, he starts summoning huge skeletons too, so it is not a fight to go in when your damage output lacks.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BigAT said:
Pinwheel was super easy for me too, but I assumed it was because I as way over-leveled for the Catcombs, anyway.

MedIC86

BigAT said:

Yeah was wondering that too, two fireballs and bye, anyway i also steamrolled trough new londo ruins +4k, and gravelord nito... that in lets say 3 hours..pretty good progress

Man I wish I could swap all my STR to INT! Magic just seems so much more powerful.
Also I seem to have moaned endlessly recently but I guess thats because ive been focused on convents rather than geting the 4 boss souls.

orion434

Finally cleared the Crystal Caves yesterday, my main problem was cutting off the tail of
Seath the Scaleless
The only way to do it is to cut off the middle-tail. It's easy with 2 players as the phantom distracts him from the front and I can attack from the back. Each time I summon a Phantom he just goes all out on him even though I send a message before-hand "tail first" then I have to die on purpose so I don't lose the chance for the tail. Then doing it solo... what a pain in the ass. Took me ~ 2 hours to finally get the pattern down, the tail comes off... and then he goes ape-shit! I had a sliver of life left before I run to the tail to pick up the Moonlight Greatsword.

Glad that ordeal is over...

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
Hmm

Havel's boots and gloves together with gold brimmed clothes and headgear makes an interesting combination.

I feel like a robot master. Cloth-man or something.

And in other news, I'm out of words for what happened yesterday. Invaded some guy in the woods, he ate a R2 Fire Uchigatana +10 to the face like it was nothing. That shit has 505 atk, by numbers it outdamages my Lightning Iaito +5 (480-ish).

Then he proceeded to two-shot me with a mean looking Muramako.

Does the forest covenant works with summons in a different way, allowing larger gaps between levels, or my build just plain sucks?

Septimius

DuendeSmoker said:
Hmm

Havel's boots and gloves together with gold brimmed clothes and headgear makes an interesting combination.

I feel like a robot master. Cloth-man or something.

And in other news, I'm out of words for what happened yesterday. Invaded some guy in the woods, he ate a R2 Fire Uchigatana +10 to the face like it was nothing. That shit has 505 atk, by numbers it outdamages my Lightning Iaito +5 (480-ish).

Then he proceeded to two-shot me with a mean looking Muramako.

Does the forest covenant works with summons in a different way, allowing larger gaps between levels, or my build just plain sucks?

No level restrictions. That place is a foul place to invade.

johntown

Banned
Xanathus said:
OK... killing the Four Kings in NG+ at SL40 is practically impossible, even using Iron Skin and G. Magic Shield.
Lol I am having problems when I try to help people on NG+ and I am around SL74. One mistake and I am done.

BigAT said:
First time I went in there I got my ass kicked because I went for the "Take it easy, learn his patterns and stay alive" approach. The problem with that is that he just keeps on making replicas unless you pound him relentlessly. When I died I think there were 7 or 8 replicas spamming magic at me--gets pretty ridiculous.

When I went back and went at him like a bear he dropped in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom