• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

Damn, for the first time i'm feeling no drive to play the game.
I have to farm a LOT of souls to get the light magic and i just don't have the will to, which would be no big deal, if it weren't for the fact that soon Uncharted3, Skyrim, Saint's Row 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Deus Ex and Batman will arrive and i'm afraid i'll lose the hang of the game, and never pick it up again.
Damn you Tomb of the Giants.

dewkl

Neo Member
Zzoram said:
if you're in the same covenant it helps a bit

are you two within 10% of each other's level? you have to be within 10% of the host's level

so if the host is 50, you can be 45-55
he's 58 i'm 57

So I want to have a character who plays like a tank but at least has the medium roll. Right now I'm rocking the Favor armor set + Artorias's shield + Fury Sword. I'm thinking of going for the Elite Armor Set fully upgraded + the shield and sword. Is there anything better in this regard or is the Elite Armor Set the best I can do? I don't want to upgrade the Favor set (no twinkling titanites).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
All this summoning... invading stuff... has my head full of what the fuck. Guess I am too early in the game. I did get a summoning thing before that dragon in the bridge :p

Zzoram

UrbanRats said:
Damn, for the first time i'm feeling no drive to play the game.
I have to farm a LOT of souls to get the light magic and i just don't have the will to, which would be no big deal, if it weren't for the fact that soon Uncharted3, Skyrim, Saint's Row 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Deus Ex and Batman will arrive and i'm afraid i'll lose the hang of the game, and never pick it up again.
Damn you Tomb of the Giants.

use the dragon head glitch to get souls for buying spells/miracles/pyromancies without farming, makes the game more fun

even with unlimited souls, nobody is maxing out their levels since they want to stay within normal PvP range ~80 and ~120

Dever

Banned
After a few tries, I don't think I've lasted a minute fighting the last boss. This should be a fun fight to master...

scosher

Man, on a second playthrough with a new character, and it's much harder to get the Fog Ring from the Forest Hunter covenant. At least the first time it pitted me against people who I could at least take on, but now it seems there's a bunch of high levellers who camp out there just to one-hit KO forest hunter members.

scy

finalozzo said:
what is the best talisman of the game?

Depends on your Faith level. Canvas (Purchase from
Patches
) is the best until around the mid 40s, Ivory is the best for the mid to upper 40s (dropped by
Rhea when she's alive or hollow; Petrus drops it if he killed Rhea
), and Darkmoon (Covenant Reward) is the best at around 48/49+.

koshunter said:
So I want to have a character who plays like a tank but at least has the medium roll. Right now I'm rocking the Favor armor set + Artorias's shield + Fury Sword. I'm thinking of going Elite Armor Set fully upgraded + the shield and sword. Is there anything better in this regard or is Elite Armor the best I can do? I don't want to upgrade the Favor set (no twinkling titanites).

Well, you can get enough Twinkling Titanites (legitimately, no farming) to upgrade I believe two pieces to full; if you farm, you can get everything given enough time. Or you can glitch it, I suppose.

But, as far as regular upgrades go, Elite chest and Hard Leather gloves are your best bets for those slots; helm wise I tend to use for utility (read: Dusk Crown) but Royal Helm should be the best defense vs weight. And then the Antiquated Skirt is just hands down the best legs, though it is a Twinkling Titanite upgrade.

Zzoram

scosher said:
Man, on a second playthrough with a new character, and it's much harder to get the Fog Ring from the Forest Hunter covenant. At least the first time it pitted me against people who I could at least take on, but now it seems there's a bunch of high levellers who camp out there just to one-hit KO forest hunter members.

trade a skull lantern for it at hawk girl instead

So I'm on my second playthrough and I'm about to get down into the sewers... but I'm annoyed that I can't invade anyone because I don't have any of the red eye orbs. When I do put down my red soapstone invasion sign I wait 30 minutes and nothing. I regret
linking the fire now. and I'm so not looking forward to blighttown bull shit

scy said:
Well, you can get enough Twinkling Titanites (legitimately, no farming) to upgrade I believe two pieces to full; if you farm, you can get everything given enough time. Or you can glitch it, I suppose.

But, as far as regular upgrades go, Elite chest and Hard Leather gloves are your best bets for those slots; helm wise I tend to use for utility (read: Dusk Crown) but Royal Helm should be the best defense vs weight. And then the Antiquated Skirt is just hands down the best legs, though it is a Twinkling Titanite upgrade.

That sounds good. Thanks. I pretty much used the Havel set until the Four Kings fight where the Favor set's speed and roll helped me win. And I liked that so much more.

Trevelyon

Zzoram said:
even with unlimited souls, nobody is maxing out their levels since they want to stay within normal PvP range ~80 and ~120

Well, if you don't count the darkroot pvp area where maxed out monsters are just waiting to troll the fuck out of minos.

Hope they lvl match that shit in the patch.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Goddamn. Beat Queelag last night. Shit was annoying as hell. I was out of Purple Moss and kept getting poisoned on the way to fight her from the bonfire. Then I would get killed by Queelag anyway after having to stand there before even trying just to let the poison expire, wasting a flask in the process. This process went on many, many times. Even using that Iron spell I kept losing. Finally, at 3AM, victory was mine. Felt fucking great--until I met that big, ugly dude in Demon Ruins. This game really is going to drive me crazy.

sixghost

koshunter said:
So I want to have a character who plays like a tank but at least has the medium roll. Right now I'm rocking the Favor armor set + Artorias's shield + Fury Sword. I'm thinking of going for the Elite Armor Set fully upgraded + the shield and sword. Is there anything better in this regard or is the Elite Armor Set the best I can do? I don't want to upgrade the Favor set (no twinkling titanites).
The Steel set has much higher defense than the Elite Knight set, but is a little heavier. If you have Havel's Ring and are putting points in END you should come in below 50%, that's how I've been playing since Sen's.

Leunam

Ugh. I'm trying to help people so I can join Solaires covenant so I'm putting my soul sign outside of the Sens Fortress
Iron Golem
boss door. First time I'm summoned I join the host and one other guy and we go through. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to check to see if they had taken the proper "precautions" and instead they end up getting killed. The second time I'm summoned, I actually go to the tower and check, and bam, this guy didn't go up there either. I try getting him to come up with me and instead he goes through the fog and promptly falls off the ledge.

UrbanRats

Zzoram said:
use the dragon head glitch to get souls for buying spells/miracles/pyromancies without farming, makes the game more fun

I'm sorry, the what? So far to farm souls i've always gone to the Darkroot forest, to kill those dudes, 7k per round, i almost one shot them now, but it's still super fucking slow when i need 50k+ per level.

test_account

XP-39C²
In the Archives, when you have
rescued Logan and found the 2nd bone fire and all that, are you suppose to go up to the boss again, so that you will be cursed, and then head for New Londo?
I'm just asking to be sure that i dont waste any time going to a place were i dont need to go yet.

Sullichin

After waiting for 20 minutes last night I finally got summoned into someone else's game in Anor Londo. But it was Dark Anor Londo (which I've never seen), so no boss, just a bunch of blue phantoms invading. It was fun until one asshole backstabbed me and killed me in one hit. I really wish the online worked better.

Zzoram

test_account said:
In the Archives, when you're
rescued Logan and found the 2nd bone fire and all that, are you suppose to go up to the boss again, so that you will be cursed, and then head for New Londo?
I'm just asking to be sure that i dont waste any time going to a place were i dont need to go yet.

you can kill the boss if you enter through the crystal caverns instead of the normal way

Logan tells you about his weakness, and only the crystal caverns entrance lets you destroy his immortality stone

test_account

XP-39C²
Zzoram said:
you can kill the boss if you enter through the crystal caverns instead of the normal way

Logan tells you about his weakness, and only the crystal caverns entrance lets you destroy his immortality stone
I didnt get to talk to Logan after i rescued him :\ I just rushed into the cage and a Seprent followed me and killed me before i got to talk to him. When i went back, Logan was gone hehe :(

How do i get to the crystal caverns?

Zzoram

test_account said:
I didnt get to talk to Logan after i rescued him :\ I just rushed into the cage and a Seprent followed me and killed me before i got to talk to him. When i went back, Logan was gone hehe :(

How do i get to the crystal caverns?

its connected to Dukes, near a bonfire near Logan's new location

Mihos

Gold Member
Beat the game and start new game +. I made it all the way past the gargoyles and to the Capra Demon without even dying once. (Capra killed me about 5 times... bastard). 90% of success is knowing where the bon-fires and shortcuts are, and nto being as afraid of the bosses the second time around.

If there is one thing I would do differently before beating the final boss
it would be to kindle all the bonfires while I still had the dark rite thing. Especially at the bonfires I know I will be hitting often

I may play some Batman and wait for the patch before continuing.

Zzoram

Infernodash said:
Funny I beat the game and I've never been in the great hollow or ash lake. How do I get there? I'm on ng+, and I wouldn't mind using that little trick to buy 999 dragonslayer arrows. Sniping off heads is my modus operandi.

In Blighttown, on the other end of the swap from Quelaag's domain is a giant tree. You can walk up into it. There is a chest and a dead end. It's not as dead end as it appears.

Zzoram said:
In Blighttown, on the other end of the swap from Quelaag's domain is a giant tree. You can walk up into it. There is a chest and a dead end. It's not as dead end as it appears.

No wonder I didn't find it first playthrough. I beat the boss and got the hell out of there so fast. lol. I'm heading into blighttown soon I'll look for it this time.

Zzoram

suikodan said:
Did I shot myself in the foot by "betraying" the Cat's Covenant?

You can pay for absolution at the gargoyle bell tower if you can afford it. Did you get the Fog Ring and Wood Grain Ring? Those are the only real reason to be in that covenant.

suikodan said:

Just pay to absolve your sins. Entering and breaking covenants are a part of manipulating the game in your benefit. Always either do it through the priest or make sure you have a shit ton of souls to pay.

Everyone sins... You're only human...

Dever

Banned
Zzoram said:

And the dead end after that dead end's not a dead end either.

sixghost

Is it even possible to save Siegmeyer in Lost Izalith? I talked to him, we both jumped down into the pit, and he died in maybe 3 seconds.

Mihos

Gold Member
suikodan said:

Yeah, there is no going back.
If you already beat Sif, then it is really no big deal gamewise. If not, it is a pain to get through the forrest for each attampt

Trevelyon

sixghost said:
Is it even possible to save Siegmeyer in Lost Izalith? I talked to him, we both jumped down into the pit, and he died in maybe 3 seconds.

You really got clear it almost entirely out (but leave him one tentacool) before jumping in with him, he doesn't last long.

Lesson learnt the hard way.

Zzoram

UrbanRats said:
:O

Though i guess i don't have the Grass Crest Shield anymore, i'll have to check.

the stamina ring works fine too, or worst case eat some stamina regen boost grass before you do it, if you have the ring or shield you can have enough stamina to do it forever

UrbanRats

Zzoram said:
the stamina ring works fine too, or worst case eat some stamina regen boost grass before you do it, if you have the ring or shield you can have enough stamina to do it forever
Thanks man.
I'll do it today.. also, what was that thing about staying low level for the PVP? I'm level 84 (or something like that) should i stop leveling up? I also play most of the time with the PS3 offline (i rarely connect the console to the internet) but still.

Carcetti

How can you guys do that soul glitching trick? I considered it but it would ruin the game for me since Dark Souls is so much about achieving something despite the huge challenge. I could cheat in some another game but just thinking about this makes me feel dirty especially since it can (and will) affect multiplayer despite the level reqs.

sixghost

Trevelyon said:
You really got clear it almost entirely out (but leave him one tentacool) before jumping in with him, he doesn't last long.

Lesson learnt the hard way.
Damnit. The guide said not to engage the enemies before talking to him. I didn't realize you could do that.

Sotha Sil

Playing the game without a guide (and reading this thread) is turning out to be an amazing idea. Counting on helpful players and signs is much, much more fun.

So yeah, just chiming in to say Dark Souls is awesome.

BeeDog

Just got home and tried beating the Izalith boss; managed it on my first try now, lulz. Still, it's the worst moment by far in the game, utterly dreadful.

And now I'm stuck on the last boss again, sigh. Gonna farm some chunks I guess and get all weapon-related trophies before I head into NG++ and take a break. Have barely touched Arkham City o_O

UrbanRats said:
.. also, what was that thing about staying low level for the PVP? I'm level 84 (or something like that) should i stop leveling up? I also play most of the time with the PS3 offline (i rarely connect the console to the internet) but still.

I think that this refers to the matchmaking system that will pair you with other players that are within +/- 10% of your soul level. Since equipment and spells usually have a much higher impact on your performance, you would want to keep attributes low, go for awesome equipment and kick the ass of other players who would obviously be at the start of their game if they don't follow the same strategy.

It works both ways though as you might have trouble finding helping co-op partners in certain areas if you want to (i.e. lvl40 seemed to be fine for quelaag's domain up to anor londo, but might be be too low to find a lot of other matches later on).

scy

Carcetti said:
How can you guys do that soul glitching trick? I considered it but it would ruin the game for me since Dark Souls is so much about achieving something despite the huge challenge. I could cheat in some another game but just thinking about this makes me feel dirty especially since it can (and will) affect multiplayer despite the level reqs.

Mostly because I'm on my like 6th character through the game and my goal is ~SL90 with a certain set of gear. Re-doing the Twinkling Titanite farm (or doing multiple playthroughs) to get the Titanite necessary is a drag; the soul grind isn't that bad so I haven't really used the infinite souls glitch yet but I might for this character just to make the progress up to right before the final boss less grinding (since I'll be farming enough there anyway >>).

UrbanRats

Carcetti said:
Well, i actually don't have the ps3 connected to the internet so i don't really care for the pvp.
I usually don't care about using cheats or not (as long as it is a single player game and you don't fuck other people over) but i agree with you that Dark Souls it's kinda pointless with huge soul level gaps.
BUT as i said, i'm gonna have little time to play it so i'm gonna dig in and gain these 4 extra levels, needed for the light magic and go from there.
Nothing fun in spending 3 hours, farming 4 levels just to get a damn spell and i'd probably end up abandon the game for good (or for a few months at least) losing track of the story and everything, so it's better this way, for me.
Ofcourse to each is own.

I think that this refers to the matchmaking system that will pair you with other players that are within +/- 10% of your soul level. Since equipment and spells usually have a much higher impact on your performance, you would want to keep attributes low, go for awesome equipment and kick the ass of other players who would obviously be at the start of their game if they don't follow the same strategy.

It works both ways though as you might have trouble finding helping co-op partners in certain areas if you want to (i.e. lvl40 seemed to be fine for quelaag's domain up to anor londo, but might be be too low to find a lot of other matches later on).
I see, i don't do pvp anyway, so i'm good. :)

kodt

Banned
Carcetti said:

You do it on an alternate character just to screw around, not your main.

Edit: and only after you have completed the game once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom