• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

maomaoIYP

Augemitbutter said:
yea, i was going to wait until i had enough time with the game before starting listen to the OST. i might do that later.

mine is a CD :)

WHAT. WTF.

Just checked the back of my box, almost everything is in french, guess it must be the european CE.

Sullichin said:
I killed that spider firekeeper. Can I not get this beastly glove?
To get the upgraded glove you need to talk to the Pyromancer in Blighttown once you get it to +15 and she'll ascend it.

Spider girl gives you the great chaos fireball scroll for joining her covenant (I think you get more for advancing your standing) which is a souped up fireball that leaves behind lava kind of like Queelag for a couple of seconds.

Oh and the pyromancer is near near the 2nd bonfire laying against one of the pillars on the way to Queelag's Domain.

Man, everyone seems to be on NG++ in this thread. I actually just got by Capra Demon in my first playthrough (about 10 or so hours in). He really was quite thorny getting rid of those dogs and just getting into the door. But when the dogs were gone things got way easier. With a spear I didn't even have to do the luring of him up and down the steps, I just climbed about halfway up the steps, wiggled back and forth so he stayed at the bottom and poked him from the steps with the winged spear. Only his big overhead attack could reach the steps from the bottom floor so I only had to watch out for that attack.

You know, in some odd way I actually see some similarities in how I play this game to a SHMUP like Ikaruga. The path from a bonfire to a boss is a single level. I usually have to take a few trys to be able to just get to the boss and figure out the layout and enemy patterns in that path. Then the first few times I get to the boss I'm drained in health from the level and the boss just murders me. Eventually the repetition of clearing the bonfire to boss path becomes second nature and I get to the boss with all / most of my flasks. Yet any loss of concentration can still lead to death well before I get to the boss. Now that I'm add the boss he seems unbeatable, but after a few times a pattern starts to emerge. And when I finally beat him I'm like, "dang that was easy." Obviously SHMUP gameplay is quite different but the feeling of accomplishment is similar, as is the general clearing process.

Abooie said:
I've just opened that and I'm through but 2 quick questions.

I've read about the charred orange ring for fire resist, should I go back and get this before going on?

Izalith is the last place I need to go before end game? How much more do I have to do?

You can get the ring if you want but I don't think it necessarily adds to fire resistance. It allows you to walk on lava with only a tiny damage penalty. You can still get the ring but it isn't necessary if you use the shortcut.

Izalith is one of the last 4 areas. The last 4 areas are Lost Izalith, Tomb of the Giants, Londo Ruins and Dukes Archives

I listened to the Demon's Souls OST a bit, but it is somewhat uneven, so I don't put it on as much as I would otherwise. I was waiting until I finished Dark Souls to start listening to the OST, so I'm going through it today. Good stuff.

UrbanRats said:
I'm sorry, the what? So far to farm souls i've always gone to the Darkroot forest, to kill those dudes, 7k per round, i almost one shot them now, but it's still super fucking slow when i need 50k+ per level.

I wish I had your luck, I have to farm 14,000 extra souls to buy the key to open that door to the Darkroot forest farming spot.
So far I'm kill 3 Demonic Foliage demons non-stop near the bonfire for only 300 souls :(

maomaoIYP

toasty_T said:
I'm half sure that the NA version came in a steel book which the Euro one didn't. So it kind if balances out.

I love my disc

=(
What exactly do you guys have in your CE? I have a steel box, a mini artbook, the game in a regular box inside the steel box, and a download code for the soundtrack, videos and map.

Please don't tell me you guys got an actual printed map too.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kingschiebi said:
Next to the center column opposing the entrance to Quelaag's Domain. She only appears if your glove is lvl12+ already.

Oh, I see. Thanks.

Damn this game is so full of secrets.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm spending a lot of time grinding souls to upgrade equipment and pick up a bunch of spells before I tackle post-Anor Londo stuff. I hope things aren't going to get too easy because of the sudden improvement in equipment.

maomaoIYP said:
=(
What exactly do you guys have in your CE? I have a steel box, a mini artbook, the game in a regular box inside the steel box, and a download code for the soundtrack, videos and map.

Please don't tell me you guys got an actual printed map too.
No steel book but the soundtrack came on a disc as well as the making of in two little inserts in the artbook.

Also included was a novelty Smough bra

Sullichin

Label said:
I got a CD with mine :eek:

I think it is the woman in the blighttown swamp that upgrades it.

Ooo. I never even found her. Not sure if I ever want to go back to fucking blighttown though.

kingschiebi said:
Next to the center column opposing the entrance to Quelaag's Domain. She only appears if your glove is lvl12+ already.

Ooo, again. That seems manageable, near a bonfire.

TTP said:
Damn this game is so full of secrets.

Truly the modern Castlevania in that regard for me.
I've got both BF3 and Batman:AC sitting here now and still want to finish DS first or will not do it ever. FROM literally f'ed up my whole planned game schedule till February.
The only consolation would be that maybe the PS 3D TV is out here after I finish it and can start Batman in 3D straight away.

Slightly OT, but while you linger around here - do you plan to post a review on the HMZ-T1 that's supposed to be out in Dec, TTP?

MedIC86

Muhaha only a few things left and then im done......but

I know its cheesy but does luring the Caeseless Discharge back to the entrance and makeing him fall into the pit work on the PS3? i saw a movie of it but im not sure if it works, maybe anyone tried it.

MedIC86 said:
Muhaha only a few things left and then im done......but

I know its cheesy but does luring the Caeseless Discharge back to the entrance and makeing him fall into the pit work on the PS3? i saw a movie of it but im not sure if it works, maybe anyone tried it.

Tried it and it didn't work for me, however -
hide in the side tunnels and simply walk a bit into cover when it starts the attack animation and attack the arm afterwards. didn't get hit once and the fight was easiest by far

johntown

Banned
See You Next Wednesday said:
I wish I had your luck, I have to farm 14,000 extra souls to buy the key to open that door to the Darkroot forest farming spot.
So far I'm kill 3 Demonic Foliage demons non-stop near the bonfire for only 300 souls :(
Help somone beat an end boss and you will get lots of souls quickly.

MedIC86

kingschiebi said:
Tried it and it didn't work for me, however -
hide in the side tunnels and simply walk a bit into cover when it starts the attack animation and attack the arm afterwards. didn't get hit once and the fight was easiest by far

Thanks, and yeah i know that trick, but it just seemed fun if he died that way.

I'm scared to walk in that forest in human form... I know I'll get in invaded.... but what if I win???? I imagine a lot of the people trolling low level players are probably running with a lot of souls/humanity....

Are virtually all of the forest invaders high level griefers?

Septimius

kingschiebi said:

I don't think that's necessarily true. I've seen a lot of speculation about this, but I'm also sure that my glove was no where near +12 when I met her.

The way I think it works, is that you have to have a certain 'interest' in pyromancy. Maybe this means having had talked to the guy near Firelink enough to hear about her, or something. Maybe you need to either get +12 glove, or buy enough pyro-spells from the guy in Firelink. At any rate, my glove was probably +5 when I met her.

DigitalDevil said:
I'm scared to walk in that forest in human form... I know I'll get in invaded.... but what if I win???? I imagine a lot of the people trolling low level players are probably running with a lot of souls/humanity....

Are virtually all of the forest invaders high level griefers?

Not at all. I'm sure some are, but there's a good amount of low levels that join the covenant and don't know it doesn't level scale. I got severely beaten the first 10 times I invaded. Never been invaded there, though.

corrosivefrost said:
Quelaag dead. Gargoyles dead. Sif dead. Iron Golem dead. Waiting for the poison arrows to kill the Anor Londo archers now. ^_^

Haha, it will be interesting if I get that far into NG+ since I had some help there and really didn't have to deal with the archers.

Septimius

Would the archers be any worse in NG+, anyway? You still can't block, you still have to roll towards the first guy and dodge an arrow. I didn't have the ninja ring, which would've made it easier.

It's incredibly hard and frustrating, but I don't see that them hitting you harder will make anything any harder at that point.

Zzoram said:
Nope. Master key is the only gift worth picking. It makes NG+ go much smoother.

Valley of the Drakes shortcut and Havel aside, when do you need it?

FINALBOSS

Banned
The minute I picked up Battlefield 3 yesterday morning I was extremely happy and sad at the same time.

Happy that I was playing one of my favorite FPS games, but sad that Dark Souls would be taking a back seat :( :( :(

FINALBOSS said:
The minute I picked up Battlefield 3 yesterday morning I was extremely happy and sad at the same time.

Happy that I was playing one of my favorite FPS games, but sad that Dark Souls would be taking a back seat :( :( :(

You're telling me. I'm right before Anor Londo boss but decided to save the Firekeeper and started the sidequests before hitting that boss. I'm afraid for the date that UC3 and UMvC3 comes out. I wouldn't know what to do.

FINALBOSS said:

don't do it man, don't give in to the dudebro!!!!

Wallachia

Septimius said:
I don't think that's necessarily true. I've seen a lot of speculation about this, but I'm also sure that my glove was no where near +12 when I met her.

The way I think it works, is that you have to have a certain 'interest' in pyromancy. Maybe this means having had talked to the guy near Firelink enough to hear about her, or something. Maybe you need to either get +12 glove, or buy enough pyro-spells from the guy in Firelink. At any rate, my glove was probably +5 when I met her.

+10 Glove or more..

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Ugh. Those archers were a bitch. I would put 100 arrows into them but the game wouldn't register the damage from the distance I was hitting them for some reason. I ended up having to sprint at them and take out the one on the left up close then shoot the other one from there.

MedIC86

You know what i find weird, i had a lot of struggling say the first half of the game, and today i did:

- Duke's Archives
- New Londo
- Giant Tomb
- Crystal cave

and i only need to kill Discharge, Centipede, and Bed of Chaos + end boss

Is the second half of the game easier? or what

Septimius said:
Would the archers be any worse in NG+, anyway? You still can't block, you still have to roll towards the first guy and dodge an arrow. I didn't have the ninja ring, which would've made it easier.

It's incredibly hard and frustrating, but I don't see that them hitting you harder will make anything any harder at that point.

1. I didn't mean that they would be harder, I just meant that I would actually have to deal with them, which I didn't before (had two summoned phantoms)

2. I think Valley of the Drakes is the big one since it lets you skip most of Blighttown.

Speevy

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
/bragging

Got to the first bonfire in the Tomb of the Giants...so...relieved.

/bragging

Yeah I kept alternating between seeing the giant skeleton in front of me and blocking him, but neither was good enough because he hit my shield and knocked me off a cliff.

I have an axe that can two-shot him too.

BS.

Septimius

Wallachia said:
+10 Glove or more..

Why would you say this? Mine was ~+5 (I upgraded it to +10 with her, because the firelink guy was gone). So why say this?

Fine that you feel the need to discredit what I say, but let me quote you this, then:

Players may encounter difficulty in finding Quelana, as there are requirements needed to fulfil in order to make her appear(she can appear even without fulfilling them). If players are unable to find her in her usual spot in Blighttown swamp, fulfilling the listed and confirmed requirements will make her appear:

Having a Pyromancy Flame+10* and above
Have not defeated Bed of Chaos
Note: Confirmed Quelana appearing even though Pyromancy Flame was only +2. Quelaag and Ceasless Discharge were beaten and the chaos covenant had been joined.
NEED CONFIRMATION: She did not appear for me until after Laurentius of the Great Swamp, whom you free from The Depths, and returns to Firelink asked me a question about the spell you got from Chaos Covenant in which I replied "Yes". He thanked me and then spoke of his master. Then he spoke of her. When I got to the Swamp again she was there. I had tried everything else suggested and this finally spawned her. If you can't find her try this and confirm f it works for you. This conversation is supposedly triggered by either getting that spell from the Chaos Covenant, or buying it from Quelana herself. IF he starts it and you say Yes, he will leave Firelink for good so be sure you have everything you want.

and..

‍‍‍Inconsistent Sightings:
• It has been reported that she has shown up without any previous pyromancy training, after both defeating Quelaag, and discovering the Chaos Servant covenant (regardless of joining).
• It was originally thought that she would only appear after having your Pyromancy Flame upgraded to at least +10, but player experience has disproved this as a constant.
• It seems that she will permanently leave after the player has slain the Lost Izalith boss, the Bed of Chaos; or rather having defeated the boss prior to meeting her will prevent her appearance.
• It is scarcely believed that Hollow Laurentius' existence in the area prevents her from spawning; or rather that after Laurentius is slain, she will appear.
• Her spawning conditions are therefore still under dispute, however a map of her location can be found here: Drawing by chronoterra

krakov

Septimius said:

Valley of Drakes is a nice shortcut as you can skip a big part of the game with ease. Other than that, there's really not much use for it. Still better than the other gifts.

Septimius

prodystopian said:
1. I didn't mean that they would be harder, I just meant that I would actually have to deal with them, which I didn't before (had two summoned phantoms)

2. I think Valley of the Drakes is the big one since it lets you skip most of Blighttown.

Yeah, I agree. I might just poison them the next time. It's an incredibly ridiculous pass.

I guess it would be good to be able to skip all of that, but I think I'd use probably 10 minutes to get down to the swamp at NG+. It goes so much faster when you know where to go. It's true, though - you really should just be given it upon NG+. I do not get why they let players choose that when starting. It's an unbalanced item for the first play-through, but so useful for NG+'s - why not just give it to us on NG+ and not allow it when starting the game the first time?

Weird. I killed patches in ToTG. I had said the correct choices so he would be at Firelink Shrine, but I forgot the detail that I had to beat ToTG. So I came back and killed him; beat ToTG later. Now patches is a merchant at Firelink Shrine. Is this happening for anyone else? I might do this on another character I made. Free Crescent Axe, humanity and some souls.

Wallachia

Septimius said:
Why would you say this? Mine was ~+5 (I upgraded it to +10 with her, because the firelink guy was gone). So why say this?

Fine that you feel the need to discredit what I say, but let me quote you this, then:

Players may encounter difficulty in finding Quelana, as there are requirements needed to fulfil in order to make her appear(she can appear even without fulfilling them). If players are unable to find her in her usual spot in Blighttown swamp, fulfilling the listed and confirmed requirements will make her appear:

Having a Pyromancy Flame+10* and above
Have not defeated Bed of Chaos
Note: Confirmed Quelana appearing even though Pyromancy Flame was only +2. Quelaag and Ceasless Discharge were beaten and the chaos covenant had been joined.
NEED CONFIRMATION: She did not appear for me until after Laurentius of the Great Swamp, whom you free from The Depths, and returns to Firelink asked me a question about the spell you got from Chaos Covenant in which I replied "Yes". He thanked me and then spoke of his master. Then he spoke of her. When I got to the Swamp again she was there. I had tried everything else suggested and this finally spawned her. If you can't find her try this and confirm f it works for you. This conversation is supposedly triggered by either getting that spell from the Chaos Covenant, or buying it from Quelana herself. IF he starts it and you say Yes, he will leave Firelink for good so be sure you have everything you want.

and..

‍‍‍Inconsistent Sightings:
• It has been reported that she has shown up without any previous pyromancy training, after both defeating Quelaag, and discovering the Chaos Servant covenant (regardless of joining).
• It was originally thought that she would only appear after having your Pyromancy Flame upgraded to at least +10, but player experience has disproved this as a constant.
• It seems that she will permanently leave after the player has slain the Lost Izalith boss, the Bed of Chaos; or rather having defeated the boss prior to meeting her will prevent her appearance.
• It is scarcely believed that Hollow Laurentius' existence in the area prevents her from spawning; or rather that after Laurentius is slain, she will appear.
• Her spawning conditions are therefore still under dispute, however a map of her location can be found here: Drawing by chronoterra

Hey sport.. it's something I remembered from my guide.

I haven't even cracked open the NPC section of my guide.... there's just so much information and so many things you have to do or not do to make different people go to different places and sell you different things....

I want my first playthrough to be natural. I'll go completionist on NG+

sixghost

DigitalDevil said:
I haven't even cracked open the NPC section of my guide.... there's just so much information and so many things you have to do or not do to make different people go to different places and sell you different things....

Not to spoil things, but I specifically recommend reading the
Solaire and Siegmeyer/Sieglinde
sections. It is virtually impossible to get the full path with those 3 without knowing specifically what you are doing. It's very arbitrary stuff, such as completing late game areas in a specific order.

orion434

DigitalDevil said:

Try to get all the covenants on the first go, that way you don't have to do anything crazy on NG+ Even with knowing all the info necessary you can still screw up and then... oh do it on NG++

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I am about to level up to around lvl 90 on my first play through killing shit loads of those mini skeletons, will this make it much harder for me to play co-op?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom