• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Augemitbutter said:
when the shit are we getting the patch? i'll be done with the game by the time it gets released.

sigh.

Yeah, I'm really waiting on this patch to hit. Maybe I'll just take a break for a bit but I know me. There's a good chance I just won't come back once I take a break :/

UrbanRats said:
Well, i actually don't have the ps3 connected to the internet so i don't really care for the pvp.

You should do that for DS as it is a major part of the experience to see messages left by other players, bloodstains and ghost images.
All you have to do to avoid PVP is to just no go into human form (you can still collect humanity, just don't convert to human at a bonfire). You could still enjoy co-op as you can still be summoned even in hollow form, albeit you cannot summon others then, of course.

charsace

I'm looking to build a character that can play a paladin and a ninja when I feel like it. basically I'm going to level faith and put into strength. How do you repair swords. I have the drake and used the l trigger attack, not realizing that it ate through the energy for it so quick.

Augemitbutter said:
when the shit are we getting the patch? i'll be done with the game by the time it gets released.

sigh.

This. I just beat the game last night, but I'm hesitant to do much in NG+ (I beat the Taurus demon then quit) because I don't know where to put my points. I want to do a Dex build, but nothing seems worth it unless the patch fixes Dex scaling more. Lightning Iaito > * at this point.

scy

charsace said:
I'm looking to build a character that can play a paladin and a ninja when I feel like it. basically I'm going to level faith and put into strength. How do you repair swords. I have the drake and used the l trigger attack, not realizing that it ate through the energy for it so quick.

Honestly, don't raise Strength past the requirements for whatever weapon you're aiming for. Same for Dexterity. They just don't really do anything worthwhile for you.

As for repairing, go to a Blacksmith (there's one at the entrance of New Londo that you have access to from the very start of the game; there's also the one in the Undead Parish right before Darkroot Garden). You can buy an item that allows you to repair at any bonfire so that's a great thing to invest in as well.

Facism said:
Yeh those fucking Chicken Butts are annoying as hell.

There is a
shortcut to avoid all of them if you join the Chaos Servant Covenant and give 30 humanity. I can't see myself ever playing the game again without using that shortcut.

question about the Wood Grain Ring.. how should i prepare trying to take down Shiva and his invisible bodyguard at Blighttown? i'm lvl 37 and i'm afraid they'll kill me, and then disappear because i betrayed the covenant...

i MUST have that ring!

tokkun

astroturfing said:
question about the Wood Grain Ring.. how should i prepare trying to take down Shiva and his invisible bodyguard at Blighttown? i'm lvl 37 and i'm afraid they'll kill me, and then disappear because i betrayed the covenant...

i MUST have that ring!

If you fail to kill them, request absolution, then rejoin the covenant they will come back. Expensive, but it works.

If you're afraid of fighting them, in Blighttown you can aggro one of those firebreathing bugs then walk next to the bodyguard. The bug will eventually kill him with the fire attack.

AlexM

Been having a blast playing this game but I'm having a little trouble with the coop. It rarely seems to ever work.

It's odd because Demons Souls coop works fine. I have my playstation on DMZ.

I think tonight I'm gonna try plugging the ps3 right into the modem tonight and see if that helps at all.

What is the typical wait time for leaving a white sign right in front of the capra demons entrance? I waited maybe 10-15 mins before I gave up.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Felix Lighter said:
There is a
shortcut to avoid all of them if you join the Chaos Servant Covenant and give 30 humanity. I can't see myself ever playing the game again without using that shortcut.

Awesome I got to that place a while ago and just left because of the horrible frame rate.

I then went to the Tomb of Giants.. gee what a fun zone complete darkness.

Also I am always weary of levelling up because of the -/+ 10% co-op level limit.

maomaoIYP

Augemitbutter said:

sigh.

I'm still waiting for my copy of the guide. And I've already gotten all the achievements!

MoxManiac

Can you kill that stupid talking cat? I'm nearing the end of my first playthrough, tempted to rejoin forest covenant, raid shiva's store, then kill him and his ninja buttbuddy. As a bonus i'd like to go stab that stupid cat in the face.

AlexM said:
Been having a blast playing this game but I'm having a little trouble with the coop. It rarely seems to ever work.

It's odd because Demons Souls coop works fine. I have my playstation on DMZ.

I think tonight I'm gonna try plugging the ps3 right into the modem tonight and see if that helps at all.

What is the typical wait time for leaving a white sign right in front of the capra demons entrance? I waited maybe 10-15 mins before I gave up.

I've found a typical wait time anywhere is probably around 20 mins, if you're lucky.

Abooie

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
There is a

I've just opened that and I'm through but 2 quick questions.

I've read about the charred orange ring for fire resist, should I go back and get this before going on?

Izalith is the last place I need to go before end game? How much more do I have to do?

ced

MoxManiac said:
Can you kill that stupid talking cat? I'm nearing the end of my first playthrough, tempted to rejoin forest covenant, raid shiva's store, then kill him and his ninja buttbuddy. As a bonus i'd like to go stab that stupid cat in the face.

I tried and she vanished and said something about me making a huge mistake and I never saw her again.

scy

Felix Lighter said:
Only if you're punching dudes with the pyromancy flame. It doesn't effect pyromancy spells, as far as, I know.

Actually, I don't think it scales the punch either.

Pyromancy isn't meant to scale with INT, however (if it did, it'd be stupid amounts of broken) so it's working as intended. Not entirely sure why it lists a letter scaling with it, though.

Label said:
I then went to the Tomb of Giants.. gee what a fun zone complete darkness.

In a fun little conundrum, Lost Izalith has the helm that makes the Tomb a lot easier; however, the easy way to access it is via Humanity dump with the Chaos Covenant and the Tomb has one of the best spots to farm Humanity (which is after the section where you'd want the helm). >>

The Tomb is pretty easy, though, once you learn it; it's short and fairly linear to a point (hell, the start of the zone is a bunch of slides until you get to the bonfire).

sixghost

Abooie said:
I've just opened that and I'm through but 2 quick questions.

I've read about the charred orange ring for fire resist, should I go back and get this before going on?

Izalith is the last place I need to go before end game? How much more do I have to do?
It depends on what you'd like to skip, but I believe you can straight up skip the Firesage Demon and Centipede Demon and just go straight to Bed of Chaos. The shortcut takes you past 100% of the lava in that main area, and it's maybe 20 seconds of running past enemies to get to the boss fight. I enjoyed those two boss fights though, so it's your choice.

scosher

charsace said:

Only pump up Str/Dex to reach the min requirements for a weapon. Then focus on End -> Fai -> Vit in that order. Most people who make Faith-based builds are looking to make a tank, as Faith pumps up your Magic DEF, so along with some heavy armor, you'll end up quite formidable. In that same vein, you might prefer to use heavier weapons. Some good options with not too high Str requirements are: Claymore, Halberds, Katanas, Gargoyle Tail Axe, Spears. Great Scythe particularly makes a really good Faith-weapon as it has good reach, good scaling when upgraded to Occult, and only requires 14 Str/14 Dex to wield.

If you want lighter, quicker weapons -- straight swords (ie. longswords) and curved swords (ie. falchions) have good Faith scaling, and have better movesets than maces/clubs imo.

You repair weapons at blacksmiths, or at your bonfire if you bought a repairbox. Repairbox is sold by the first merchant in Undead Burg or at the blacksmith in Undead Parish.

Audioboxer

Every time I get invaded the other person seems to get the most perfect backstab. Half the time it seems like lag as well? Grrrr.

Abooie

Banned
scy said:
In a fun little conundrum, Lost Izalith has the helm that makes the Tomb a lot easier; however, the easy way to access it is via Humanity dump with the Chaos Covenant and the Tomb has one of the best spots to farm Humanity (which is after the section where you'd want the helm). >>

The Tomb is pretty easy, though, once you learn it; it's short and fairly linear to a point (hell, the start of the zone is a bunch of slides until you get to the bonfire).

Yeah I worked this out as well.

The Tomb isn't nearly as bad as I was lead to believe, I quite enjoyed that zone. In fact all the end zones haven't been too bad, except of course those fucking man eating clams. Man I hate them so much.

scy

Confidence Man said:
So near the chaos covenant there's that dead end door, does that open somewhere normally or do I need rank 2 in chaos covenant?

Unfortunately, it does nothing :/ The shortcut door at Rank +2 is near the
Demon Firesage fog door in the Demon Ruins; it's off to the right down a tree root

scy said:
Yeah, I'm really waiting on this patch to hit. Maybe I'll just take a break for a bit but I know me. There's a good chance I just won't come back once I take a break :/

same here. i don't think i'll be able to go back to it once i move on. pvp is imbalanced and i'm not sure how good summoning will work and how long the boss encounters will keep me interested.

My pyro damage is absolutely absurd now with the super glove. I had great chaos fireballs hitting Seath for 900 a piece.

The whole fight lasted about a minute.

AlexM

Confidence Man said:
I've found a typical wait time anywhere is probably around 20 mins, if you're lucky.

Oh really? Maybe I'm just impatient. That's too bad. I was hoping the connection time would be at least as good as demons souls.

So far the only place I've even done any summoning or been summoned is the area leading to the bell gargoyles. That took about 2 mins on average. Everything else I gave up waiting on.

gamelova

Okay, so I started playing the game recently and I enjoy it a lot, but there are so many places you can go to. The open world structure makes so many options possible but I prefer to do things in order. Is there a list that someone made that shows the preferred order to do things.

Also, the online portion of this game doesn't work as well as Demons Souls. There are less ghosts of wandering players walking around, less bloodstains, and I also put up a summon sign for people to summon me about 5 times already and I would give up everytime. I dont view this thread that often so I don't really know what's going on with the online. Is there a reason for this?

AlexM said:
Oh really? Maybe I'm just impatient. That's too bad. I was hoping the connection time would be at least as good as demons souls.

So far the only place I've even done any summoning or been summoned is the area leading to the bell gargoyles. That took about 2 mins on average. Everything else I gave up waiting on.

Between the different servers and the covenants affecting how easily you connect to others it's kind of a crapshoot. I spent a couple hours outside the Iron Golem last night and got summoned four or five times if I remember.

On NG++, in blighttown first, about to go get Quelaag.
Seems to me the strategy someone put up in here yesterday about ringing the blighttown bell first is the fastest way to get to anor londo.

Quelaag > Darkroot Basin > Darkroot Garden > Sif (need his soul for greatshield) > Gargoyles > Sen's > Anor Londo blacksmith...

johntown

Banned
toasty_T said:
My pyro damage is absolutely absurd now with the super glove. I had great chaos fireballs hitting Seath for 900 a piece.

NG+ or first run through?

tokkun said:
If you fail to kill them, request absolution, then rejoin the covenant they will come back. Expensive, but it works.

If you're afraid of fighting them, in Blighttown you can aggro one of those firebreathing bugs then walk next to the bodyguard. The bug will eventually kill him with the fire attack.

goddamnit, absolution costs are ridiculous so i reaaaally don't want to fail the fight...

but thanks for that cheese tip :p i might consider it. then i will fight them fair in NG+!

Trevelyon said:
Gee willikers! 700k souls from a darkmoon invade.

The guilty gots to pay.

what?? close to a million souls from one kill? WTF. i need to get into that covenant.

maomaoIYP

Anyone besides me bought the CE? I'm listening to the soundtrack and surfing the net while waiting to be summoned. The soundtrack is SO GOOD.

johntown said:
NG+ or first run through?

First time through.

I've been putting all the souls I've gotten into the glove for a while now. Haven't levelled up for more than 10 hours now. Glove is at ascended +1 now

^^^

The soundtrack is boss themes the whole way through. Epic as fuck

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lol at all the people stressing over the bounding demons of Izalith.

Make a half decent bow and buy a load of cheap arrows. They don't respawn and all you need to do is clear a path to the bonfire inside the second building. Try and aggro multiple mobs in clusters so they destroy each other with their attacks.

It really doesn't take that long, and once its done its done.

maomaoIYP said:
Anyone besides me bought the CE? I'm listening to the soundtrack and surfing the net while waiting to be summoned. The soundtrack is SO GOOD.

I could care less about the packaging, but I want this soundtrack :(

johntown

Banned
toasty_T said:
First time through.

I've been putting all the souls I've gotten into the glove for a while now. Haven't levelled up for more than 10 hours now. Glove is at ascended +1 now
Yeah the glove is almost like an extra stat with the amount of souls it takes to fully level it up but apparently it is well worth the souls.

scy

astroturfing said:
what?? close to a million souls from one kill? WTF. i need to get into that covenant.

I grind souls and humanity while waiting for my ring to pop so I've been running around invading with 300-400k+ souls pretty typically. I fail a lot too, either due to being shitty at PvP or lag or probably just being terrible at it :/

Oh well. Free souls for everyone, yay....

Sullichin

toasty_T said:

I killed that spider firekeeper. Can I not get this beastly glove?

maomaoIYP said:

yea, i was going to wait until i had enough time with the game before starting listen to the OST. i might do that later.

maomaoIYP said:
If it makes you feel any better the soundtrack is not on an actual CD, it was a download code.

mine is a CD :)

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
maomaoIYP said:
If it makes you feel any better the soundtrack is not on an actual CD, it was a download code.

I got a CD with mine :eek:
Sullichin said:
I killed that spider firekeeper. Can I not get this beastly glove?

I think it is the woman in the blighttown swamp that upgrades it.

Trevelyon

Argh! Hate lollygaggers in pvp. We were specifically summoned to kill this or these guys, don't just stand there while they pull a AoE/Soul Arrow train on me, you ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom