• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
do covenant ranks carry over in ng+? i know it ranks down once you leave a covenant, but surprisingly, i could still offer
soul of gwyn once i've ranked down.
so why is this? is the +1 requirement for the soul just misinformation or is it something else?

confused once again.

knitoe

Augemitbutter said:
do covenant ranks carry over in ng+? i know it ranks down once you leave a covenant, but surprisingly, i could still offer
so why is this? is the +1 requirement for the soul just misinformation or is it something else?

confused once again.
NG+ is just like starting a new game except you keep your lvl, stats and equipment except certain important items are gone, like lordvessel.

knitoe said:
NG+ is just like starting a new game except you keep your lvl, stats and equipment except certain important items are gone, like lordvessel.

so you mean to tell me i have to help other people again if i want to join the sunlight covenant in ng++? to lower the requirement.

Augemitbutter said:

confused once again.
So this works without ranking up? It's the only reason why I haven't left Warrior of Sunlight Covenant. It states rank +1 and soul to learn that miracle.

I'm about to enter the catacombs and I know you need a divine weapon to prevent the skellies from respawning. Alas, I'm rather confused about the upgrading system. Maybe it's noobish of me, but I'm level 76 and have mostly focused on my pyro spells. So I have 22 str and 15 dexterity, which isn't much for wielding great weapons. Up to this point i've used the Drake sword +1 and more recently lightning spear +3. I've upgraded my armor somewhat but otherwise I haven't ascended any weapons except for the pyro (ascended +5 now). What do you recommend for a weapon? I must look like a moron when I'm summoned at this level and am using the lightning spear when not using pyro spells.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
knitoe said:

Do you still keep the rite of kindling?

Finalow

finally i finished this game in hardcore mode.
now i hope to find someone for the co-op in oreder to kill the 4 kings before anor londo, i'm level 169.

knitoe

Augemitbutter said:
so you mean to tell me i have to help other people again if i want to join the sunlight covenant in ng++? to lower the requirement.
Yes.

Label said:
Do you still keep the rite of kindling?
No. Thus, you should rekindle all the bonfire before killing the last boss. Kindle bonfire lvl stays the same on NG+.

sixghost said:
Not to spoil things, but I specifically recommend reading the
Solaire and Siegmeyer/Sieglinde
sections. It is virtually impossible to get the full path with those 3 without knowing specifically what you are doing. It's very arbitrary stuff, such as completing late game areas in a specific order.

I think I already screwed up his path anyway, unfortunately. I went to fight the Gaping Dragon and his summon sign was outside the door, but no others. I went back to the bonfire and summoned someone else then when we returned to the boss door his summon was gone. I ended up fighting Gaping Dragon without using him and so I think I am hosed for this playthrough.

Dresden

plasticpassion said:
I'm about to enter the catacombs and I know you need a divine weapon to prevent the skellies from respawning. Alas, I'm rather confused about the upgrading system. Maybe it's noobish of me, but I'm level 76 and have mostly focused on my pyro spells. So I have 22 str and 15 dexterity, which isn't much for wielding great weapons. Up to this point i've used the Drake sword +1 and more recently lightning spear +3. I've upgraded my armor somewhat but otherwise I haven't ascended any weapons except for the pyro (ascended +5 now). What do you recommend for a weapon? I must look like a moron when I'm summoned at this level and am using the lightning spear when not using pyro spells.
Lightning spear is good enough for the whole game, I wouldn't worry about it.

With your strength you have a lot of options, I'm really partial to the Claymore, though. If you want to make a lightning weapon, look up how to get the Washing Pole.

For the divine weapon, you can either de-mod the Occult Club found in Anor Londo to get a Divine CLub +5, or make your own divine weapon, which I don't recommend for anyone not running a faith build.

zerokoolpsx said:
So this works without ranking up? It's the only reason why I haven't left Warrior of Sunlight Covenant. It states rank +1 and soul to learn that miracle.

this is what i'm confused about. i was at +1 but then left the covenant. joined other covenants and when i came back i ranked down, but the option to offer the soul was still there.

sentry65

the multiplayer component is really unbalanced.

We're all so trained to have our shields up, that backstabbing is the only way to victory

pyromancer and mage builds are at a major disadvantage because their spells just run out and magic takes forever to cast to be useful

tanks can hit people all they want, but they can't overtake someone who's quick and backstabs

maybe if in PvP, everyone's shield was 50% effective against the other player and there were unlimited spells, people's respective strengths would with worth using in multiplayer

charsace

scosher said:
Only pump up Str/Dex to reach the min requirements for a weapon. Then focus on End -> Fai -> Vit in that order. Most people who make Faith-based builds are looking to make a tank, as Faith pumps up your Magic DEF, so along with some heavy armor, you'll end up quite formidable. In that same vein, you might prefer to use heavier weapons. Some good options with not too high Str requirements are: Claymore, Halberds, Katanas, Gargoyle Tail Axe, Spears. Great Scythe particularly makes a really good Faith-weapon as it has good reach, good scaling when upgraded to Occult, and only requires 14 Str/14 Dex to wield.

If you want lighter, quicker weapons -- straight swords (ie. longswords) and curved swords (ie. falchions) have good Faith scaling, and have better movesets than maces/clubs imo.

You repair weapons at blacksmiths, or at your bonfire if you bought a repairbox. Repairbox is sold by the first merchant in Undead Burg or at the blacksmith in Undead Parish.
Any idea how good a divine katana is?

orion434

Augemitbutter said:
this is what i'm confused about. i was at +1 but then left the covenant. joined other covenants and when i came back i ranked down, but the option to offer the soul was still there.

Was the option to join the Covenant still there?

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
You do keep the covenant level and you keep the progress on lowering the required faith stat for the Sunlight Covenant, from my own experience.

Kindled at my bonfires to the max. In NG+, once after getting rite of kindling again. Is it possible to kindle a bonfire pass 20 flasks? I'm curious.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
zerokoolpsx said:
Kindled at my bonfires to the max. In NG+, once after getting rite of kindling again. Is it possible to kindle a bonfire pass 20 flasks? I'm curious.
Nope

Speevy

Banned
It's a shame they didn't really create this game to account for crazy people who want to be like level 900 or whatever.

They really need to fix the match-making in Dark Souls.

Decided to load up Demon's Souls last night - and maybe it's just getting a resurgence in popularity because of Dark Souls and/or because of the pure-black world tendency event - but the online seems to be VERY active. Even in the beginner areas (dying PS3 ate my 80+hr save game file last year, sniff) are very active - loads of messages, blood stains, get summoned very quickly - lots of PvP action going on.

Hell, even in 4-1 - I think I got summoned by the same guy 3 or 4 times - he was having a rather epic battle with an invader - and every time I re-appeared, he had a new blue phantom helping him out.

Demon's Souls still has it's charm and already getting its hooks into me - World 3 is still amazing, I don't think there is anything in Dark Souls that can really compare - maybe, maybe Sens Fortress for the level design - but for overall atmosphere? Cant be touched.

Octopus head guards and their chiming bells, the wails of prisoners, the singing lady, that tree-bush thing that shoots out magic arrow or whatever, Jesus-statue of arrow firing death. Cant wait until I push into world 3-2.

Speevy said:
It's a shame they didn't really create this game to account for crazy people who want to be like level 900 or whatever.

From probably didn't account for the Dragon Head Stone Glitch, so gettin to SL 792 is easy as hell now.

knitoe

Speevy said:
The guide has lvl 792, but to get there legit, would probably take you a very long time, maybe years.

Oh my fucking god. This game is ridiculous. An enemy slammed into me near an NPC (
the forest guard NPC who went to Blighttown
) and caused me to hit him. Now I have to farm 160,000 souls to repent and rejoin that covenant. WTF? /serious rage quit right now

Jonsoncao

Banned
Label said:
I am about to level up to around lvl 90 on my first play through killing shit loads of those mini skeletons, will this make it much harder for me to play co-op?
You could coop with ppl in NG+.

Yo Gotti

Banned
sentry65 said:
the multiplayer component is really unbalanced.

We're all so trained to have our shields up, that backstabbing is the only way to victory

pyromancer and mage builds are at a major disadvantage because their spell just run out

tanks can hit people all they want, but they can't overtake someone who's quick and backstabs

PVP is very different to PVE so if you're standing around with your shield up you're doing it wrong. All characters pretty much turn on a dime, or at least fast enough to avoid a backstab. Offense and defense in PVP is a different beast.

Magic users have always been in a unique position, if your selection of spells is smart and timing is a good then a pure mage can be insane at PVP, it will be much harder if you don't use a weapon at all, as it should be. Pyromancers are just plain deadly though.

A good tank works against pretty much anything I've found in my matches, but a skilled thief is a tanks worst enemy. As it should be IMO. If you're tanking you better be using a weapon that has at least 500 ATK power, or again you're doing it wrong.

Sooo... I'm going to be around the Alvina area for a while. I already joined the covenant once but I left it.

I read that I can just (try to) kill all the human NPCs in the area and then join the covenant. When they respawn, the bug where one of them dies and the covenant is broken no longer happens. Is this true?

johntown

Banned
knitoe said:
Thus, you should rekindle all the bonfire before killing the last boss. Kindle bonfire lvl stays the same on NG+.
I did not know this but I will be doing this before starting NG+

sixghost

Yo Gotti said:
PVP is very different to PVE so if you're standing around with your shield up you're doing it wrong. All characters pretty much turn on a dime, or at least fast enough to avoid a backstab. Offense and defense in PVP is a different beast.

Magic users have always been in a unique position, if your selection of spells is smart and timing is a good then a pure mage can be insane at PVP, it will be much harder if you don't use a weapon at all, as it should be. Pyromancers are just plain deadly though.

A good tank works against pretty much anything I've found in my matches, but a skilled thief is a tanks worst enemy. As it should be IMO. If you're tanking you better be using a weapon that has at least 500 ATK power, or again you're doing it wrong.
I'm using the old lightning spear right now with my tank. Any suggestion for a secondary weapon come PvP time? I'm going to make a concerted effort to farm the Gargoyles Halberd in my NG+, is that ok? I think Lightning does 650ish.

orion434

Augemitbutter said:
yes, of course. i rejoined.

let me make this clear: it is the same playthrough.

Oh so in the same playthrough you left the Covenant and supposedly de-ranked by leaving... but when you rejoined it still gave you the option to ofer the Soul that requires you to be Rank 1

knitoe said:
The guide has lvl 792, but to get there legit, would probably take you a very long time, maybe years.

the problem is that now that the cheating floodgates are opened, it will be very difficult to do anything about it. :(

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
crap, Cursed in the Depths. Fastest/Cheapest way to get Cured?
Granted, I have 0 souls right now... :(

John Harker said:
crap, Cursed in the Depths. Fastest/Cheapest way to get Cured?
Granted, I have 0 souls right now... :(

save up 6000 souls and visit the creepy npc lady at near the entrance to the depths. Go back up past the butchers, out the door, up the stairs, up the circle staircase in to the sewer that heads back to firelink. just on your right as you enter the sewer is a lady behind bars who will sell you a purging stone for 6000 souls.

I believe the guy at the bottom of the gargoyles bell tower also sells these for 3000 souls.

Label said:
Still using my Hollow Shield +10 near end game, is there anything I can get which is better?

If you're not in love with parrying I would suggest the Eagle shield. I'm very happy with it, but it can not parry. That hollow shield just got old after a while. I had to change it! They could have made one of the best shields in the game more visually appealing IMO!

knitoe said:
A little over 2 billion souls or so. Got my pryomancer to 709 with max stats. Sl 792-(starting points+ sl). She starts out with 84 at sl 1. I do get invaded at this level.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Label said:
Still using my Hollow Shield +10 near end game, is there anything I can get which is better?

I always carried 3 different shields with me.

One that blocks a ton of fire.
One that blocks a ton of magic.
One that makes me look cool

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
DigitalDevil said:
If you're not in love with parrying I would suggest the Eagle shield. I'm very happy with it, but it can not parry. That hollow shield just got old after a while. I had to change it! They could have made one of the best shields in the game more visually appealing IMO!

Yeah I hardley ever parry I thought of switching to the Eagle shield as this shield looks quite boring :p

Booshka

Also, for the Rite of Kindling and how it carries over to NG+, if you Kindle a Bonfire to 15 Flasks on one playthrough, you can then Kindle it to 20 without the Rite on your next playthrough. I noticed this playing on NG++. If a Bonfire is at 10 flasks then you need the Rite, but you only need it to be at 15 to get it to 20 without the Rite. Little tip for those of you that don't have enough Humanity to kindle multiple Bonfires to 20 on one playthrough.

10 Flasks is usually enough for most places, and 15 seems like the sweet spot, but it's always nice to have 20 to fall back on. I also got rid of my Heal spell once I started running around with 20 flasks all the time, now I can use that extra slot on more Pyromancy.

Ken

Someone pick up my summon sign at Ornstein and Smough; I need a few more medals before I can join the Sunbro Covenant of Jolly Co-operation.

Septimius

DigitalDevil said:

Eagle shield at +10 has the exact same stability as the hollow soldier shield, which weights the half. It has better fire-resistance, but eagle has better lightning. They're exactly the same, but one weights half. There's no reason not to use hollow normally. It means you can wear some armor that's heavier some place else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom