• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokkun

sentry65 said:
the multiplayer component is really unbalanced.

We're all so trained to have our shields up, that backstabbing is the only way to victory

pyromancer and mage builds are at a major disadvantage because their spells just run out and magic takes forever to cast to be useful

tanks can hit people all they want, but they can't overtake someone who's quick and backstabs

maybe if in PvP, everyone's shield was 50% effective against the other player and there were unlimited spells, people's respective strengths would with worth using in multiplayer

My experience is that mage builds are actually the most overpowered at the moment. Even if you take away the cheese, like Tranquil Walk of Peace and Magic Shield, INT scaling on spell power seems to be a lot more effective than STR/DEX scaling on weapon power. Then you have Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring which gives a further huge boost in attack power. Crystal Soul Spear does tons of damage even when blocked with most shields and Homing Crystal Soul Mass makes you focus on dodging it rather than attacking the other player.

Dresden

Hollow Soldier Shield + 15> Eagle Shield +15 by 1 stability, lol.

Eagle Shield has better protection against lightning, Hollow has better fire protection.

As for pvp, you can't stand still and cast soul arrows at people - instead focus on maintaining homing crystal soulmass orbs and get a soul spear off at the right time.

And then there's always the strong magic shield for invincibility. >.>

Septimius

Ken said:
What's some good equipment to survive enemy pyromancers in PvP?

Ninja ring. Fireballs are a joke in PvP - the only viable pyromancy is really great combustion, which I've killed a lot of people with the last days. You COULD have a shield with high fire-block, and I see a lot of people using shields with less than %50 block. The problem with this tactic and just standing behind the shield is that I can leisurely walk up to you and blow fire in your face, and it still takes 200-300 damage.

This is why a good shield should be your last line of defense. Something you use in dire situations. Otherwise, your best friend is skills; skills with rolling with the ninja ring (Darkwood grain ring?) - it gives you increased invulnerability, which makes it excellent for PvE, too, but rolling is invaluable in PvP. Bait the person to use a spell, and roll around it, then counter.

Ken

knitoe said:
Pyro spells are slow. .

I can dodge fireballs fine but it's the combustion that kills me.

I have the ninja ring. Oh well, I guess I need to fight more pyromancers or try to find ones that don't soul glitch to max their flames way earlier than they should.

schragnasher

Neo Member
Dresden said:

Eagle Shield has better protection against lightning, Hollow has better fire protection.

As for pvp, you can't stand still and cast soul arrows at people - instead focus on maintaining homing crystal soulmass orbs and get a soul spear off at the right time.

I prefer the knockback on the eagle shield.

Dresden

schragnasher said:
It's a toss up either way, just comes down to pure preference since the stability difference is so minimal. If I was better at parrying I'd probably just say outright that HSS is better, but w/e.

I stick with the silver knight shield usually because both the Eagle and the Hollow shields look ugly as hell. Black Knight Shield on backup for fire damage.

knitoe

Ken said:
I can dodge fireballs fine but it's the combustion that kills me.

I have the ninja ring. Oh well, I guess I need to fight more pyromancers or try to find ones that don't soul glitch to max their flames way earlier than they should.
Then, use Black Knight Shield +5 with 95% Fire Resist.

Dresden said:

but the hollow shield is so uglllllllllllllllllllllllllllly

Yo Gotti

Banned
sixghost said:
I'm using the old lightning spear right now with my tank. Any suggestion for a secondary weapon come PvP time? I'm going to make a concerted effort to farm the Gargoyles Halberd in my NG+, is that ok? I think Lightning does 650ish.

Spears are deadly if you're using a shield with high stability but they're a ticket to getting backstabbed and guard crushed. When I tank I like to use weapons that have good reach, wide arches and guard crush, it makes it easier to knock enemies off guard when they make a mistake or block too much.

Any of the following weapons upgraded to +15, Lighting +5, or Fire +10 make great PVP weapons:

Claymore - a greatsword that's moderately fast and does medium/high damage, also has above average reach.
Washing Pole - Fast, HUGE reach, moderate damage and does bleed damage. 3-4 direct strikes when 2 handing will generally make anyone bleed and cost them a ton of HP.
Great Sword/Zweihander - Ultra Greatswords with huge Reach and ridiculous damage when maxed out. 2-3 hits will take down pretty much anyone. Guard crushing with these things is ridiculous.
Black Knight Weapons - All BK weapons are pretty much amazing. Huge damage output, high stat scaling and some unique attacks compared to other weapons. Very heavy though.

The game is still so early PVP wise and these are just weapons that I have personal experience with. Pretty much any weapon in the game can be upgraded to be a great PVP weapon, the best thing to do is experiment and find a weapon that has an attack pattern and speed that suits you and stick with it.

Pyromancy is also an amazing second weapon. Combustion, Great Combustion, Great Fireball, Fire Surge, Firestorm. All can great damage when your glove is upgraded.

Dresden

As for the BK weapons I think only the greataxe stands out. Nice swing speed, great reach, lovely sweep (although only the R1 attack is worth it - R2 is backstabville if you use it). All the other BK weapons either suffer from damage/scaling issues (halberd/sword) or have a terrible moveset (greatsword), in my opinion.

See You Next Wednesday said:
I think you can change 3 weapons with Sif's Soul. So you need a minimum of 3 playthroughs.

Have them all. In the middle of my third, got both cursed and true greatswords and great shield of artorias.

Looks like maybe it's the Channeler's Trident.

Anyone who has the rare weapon trophy/cheevo NOT had a trident when they got it?

Yo Gotti

Banned
Dresden said:
As for the BK weapons I think only the greataxe stands out. Nice swing speed, great reach, lovely sweep (although only the R1 attack is worth it - R2 is backstabville if you use it). All the other BK weapons either suffer from damage/scaling issues (halberd/sword) or have a terrible moveset (greatsword), in my opinion.

I like the BK Greatswords moveset, it's better the same as a regular Greatsword. It also has great STR scaling. The heavy attacks are great for punishing people who try to heal or cast a long spell in the middle of combat. Sends them flying :).

The BK Great Axe is by far the best of the bunch though, it's probably the best heavy weapon in the game, I haven't found anything better.

Septimius

schragnasher said:

I was surprised by how incredibly measly the stamina stun from players is in PvP. I use the grass crest shield in PvP, and rarely block, but there was this dude yesterday that used a dragon tooth. I blocked it, and it didn't take away half my stamina with a +5 grass crest (which has low stability). The knockback on big shields are also way too slow and don't dent stamina in PvP. I'm sure it's cool for PvE, but just so you know

Wallachia

rogerroger22 said:
They really need to fix the match-making in Dark Souls.

Decided to load up Demon's Souls last night - and maybe it's just getting a resurgence in popularity because of Dark Souls and/or because of the pure-black world tendency event - but the online seems to be VERY active. Even in the beginner areas (dying PS3 ate my 80+hr save game file last year, sniff) are very active - loads of messages, blood stains, get summoned very quickly - lots of PvP action going on.

Hell, even in 4-1 - I think I got summoned by the same guy 3 or 4 times - he was having a rather epic battle with an invader - and every time I re-appeared, he had a new blue phantom helping him out.

Demon's Souls still has it's charm and already getting its hooks into me - World 3 is still amazing, I don't think there is anything in Dark Souls that can really compare - maybe, maybe Sens Fortress for the level design - but for overall atmosphere? Cant be touched.

Octopus head guards and their chiming bells, the wails of prisoners, the singing lady, that tree-bush thing that shoots out magic arrow or whatever, Jesus-statue of arrow firing death. Cant wait until I push into world 3-2.

I was thinking that too, about Demon's Souls.. the higher online action. Are you NAT Type 3 by chance?

Booshka

Dresden said:
I agree, I don't like the BK Greatsword's moveset and it doesn't even do as much damage as the Great Axe. I will agree that the R1 attack is really the only viable attack for BK Great Axe in PvP, for both 1H and 2H, the 1H R2 is a ridiculous jump lunge attack, that almost always misses, and the 2H R2 has an insanely long lead up that only a moron would get caught with. The 2H R2 attack is amazing if you connect with it though, and will send the player flying, you can chain it too, right after you hit them with the first attack start another one and by the time they recover they are getting hit again. Extremely rare to pull off, works great on NPC's that I want to kill though.

scosher

charsace said:
Any idea how good a divine katana is?

Has D/E/-/C scaling, meaning D in Str, E in Dex, and C in Faith. BTW, there's two upgrade paths for Faith builds, Divine and Occult. One does holy and puts down skeles so a necromancer can't resurrect them, and the other does dark but usually has better scaling with Faith (but not always). Katanas are one weapon that don't actually get better Faith scaling with Occult, so you're better off keeping it Divine.

If you're looking at Katanas, go with a Divine Washing Pole imo, since the reach is awesome and you said you wanted to invest in Str anyway. It's 20 Str/16 Dex requirement to wield, but since Divine Katanas have D scaling in Str, you're better off with the Washing Pole than say Iaito which takes 14 Str and 20 Dex.

From what I've seen in the strategy guide, Occult weapons that get B rank scaling in Faith are only limited to Clubs (not even Maces, just Clubs), most 1H swords (longswords, falchions, etc.), fist weapons, and for heavier weapons, Large Clubs, Scythes, and Claymores (only claymores, no other greatsword).

zerokoolpsx said:
Youtube dark souls infinite glitch. Be warned, it breaks the balance of the game. I made another character and playing legit.
I could see how it breaks things when you hit the level you went to but I feel that the game is made better if you use it to do things you would normally farm behind the 20k door for. I did it after Anor and used it mostly to get my faith higher for a convenience spell (homeward) and to max out my large/green shards so that I could bring any gear I was curious about upgrading to the point where you have to make real choices. Particularly after Anor, it seems like character stats matter far less than armor upgrades, and chunk upgrades are where things get important, so why waste my time with slugs or, frankly, abusing another "acceptable" glitch behind 20k? It's not like I get a feeling of accomplishment from farming.

Outside of help messages and the odd player ghost/bloodstain, I've had no interaction with other players (just unlocked the Depths) so far. I've spent a fair amount of time human and have only seen one summon sign, which was in a useless spot so I didn't even bother, and everytime I put down a summon signs, no one ever touches it- I put one down in front of the Taurus Demon's fog door and waited for half an hour, but no one ever summoned me. I've yet to be invaded as well.

gdt

I'm still thinking about this game. What a fucking game. GOTY so far. I'll definitely replay the both of them when I can, probably in the spring.

Sullichin

I really wish the online was more active! You know tons of people are playing this game, but I can never get summoned. The co-op in this game is really something special, it's a shame it's so hard to get working.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
uh, can you get invaders while fighting a boss?

I was a Phantom helping someone fight the gaping dragon and out of no where comes all these giant soul arrows from up above. Some one/some thing kept firing magic down at us while we were fighting the boss. And we lost. weird. not sure what it could have been.

Wallachia

Thagomizer said:
Outside of help messages and the odd player ghost/bloodstain, I've had no interaction with other players (just unlocked the Depths) so far. I've spent a fair amount of time human and have only seen one summon sign, which was in a useless spot so I didn't even bother, and everytime I put down a summon signs, no one ever touches it- I put one down in front of the Taurus Demon's fog door and waited for half an hour, but no one ever summoned me. I've yet to be invaded as well.

Bummer, I have times like that too. Do you know if you are NAT Type 3?

falconzss

Sullichin said:
I really wish the online was more active! You know tons of people are playing this game, but I can never get summoned. The co-op in this game is really something special, it's a shame it's so hard to get working.

After 50 hours of playing Dark Souls i've only managed to get summoned 2-3 times. It's a joke.

Wallachia

John Harker said:

I was a Phantom helping someone fight the gaping dragon and out of no where comes all these giant soul arrows from up above. Some one/some thing kept firing magic down at us while we were fighting the boss. And we lost. weird. not sure what it could have been.

Did you leave a Summon sign right outside the door? They may have entered there, right as/after you entered the boss door.

Booshka

John Harker said:

No, that was a Channeler Caster up there that the guy who summoned you didn't kill before fighting the boss.

Facism

John Harker said:

It's a channeler in the level that you didn't kill.

scy

scosher said:
From what I've seen in the strategy guide, Occult weapons that get B rank scaling in Faith are only limited to Clubs (not even Maces, just Clubs), most 1H swords (longswords, falchions, etc.), fist weapons, and for heavier weapons, Large Clubs, Scythes, and Claymores (only claymores, no other greatsword).

A-scaling should be limited to Demon's Great Axe

B-scaling should be:

Daggers: Dagger, Parrying Dagger, Bandit's Knife
Swords: Shortsword, Longsword, Balder Side Sword, Sunlight Straight Sword, Darksword
Great Swords: Bastard Sword, Claymore
Curved Swords: Falchion, Scimitar, Painting Guardian Sword, Murakumo
Hammers: Club, Large Club
Polearms: Great Scythe
Fists: Caestus, Claw

Not counting Bows, anyway (Pharis, Short, and Long get up to S, Composite gets up to A)

Kalnos

Banned
I invaded about 30 people within a span of 3 hours in Blight Town last night, besides shitty framerate I had no problem. Whether or not you get a good lobby of players is a crap-shoot though.

johntown

Banned
Sullichin said:
What level are you? I would say optimal summoning levels are between 60 - 160.

Wallachia

Booshka said:
No, that was a Channeler Caster up there that the guy who summoned you didn't kill before fighting the boss.

No way! I didn't know he gets in on the boss fight if you don't kill him. +1 again for Dark Souls.

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
John Harker said:

No man, that's the blue robe guy that shoots soul arrows and pumps up the mobs. The host probably reached the boss through the shortcut without killing the mobs before the giant rat and because of that, that blue-robe enemy keeps nuking you.

Wallachia

Kalnos said:
I invaded about 30 people within a span of 3 hours in Blight Town last night, besides shitty framerate I had no problem. Whether or not you get a good lobby of players is a crap-shoot though.

your NAT Type?

Wallachia

johntown said:
What level are you? I would say optimal summoning levels are between 60 - 160.

Really? I am thinking now that it is more about Soul Level than NAT Type, too. I am level 40ish, and the ONLY place I get good online results is Blighttown, by Quelaag..

Sullichin

Wallachia said:
Same to you, are you NAT Type 3 also? (restrictive online setting)..

I'm pretty sure my NAT Is open.

Man, when I was helping people in the depths.. that was amazing. 2 or 3 of us traversing through the sewers, trying not to make any mistakes and come across the frogs, following the human player even though you know he's going the wrong direction... and then getting some help, leading the pack to the boss and conquering the gaping dragon in my own world.

I've done every boss since solo because I'm having no more luck with co-op. Worked fine for Capra, Gaping, and maybe one other earlier boss, and thats it. Actually I might have had help/helped on Queelagg too.

falconzss

Wallachia said:
Same to you, are you NAT Type 3 also? (restrictive online setting)..

Not NAT Type 3 for sure. Didn't have these issues with Demon's Souls :/
It's just depressing when you put down your soul sign and even 15 min later you haven't got summoned.

Wallachia

Sullichin said:
I'm pretty sure my NAT Is open.

Man, when I was helping people in the depths.. that was amazing. 2 or 3 of us traversing through the sewers, trying not to make any mistakes and come across the frogs, following the human player even though you know he's going the wrong direction... and then getting some help, leading the pack to the boss and conquering the gaping dragon in my own world.

I've done every boss since solo because I'm having no more luck with co-op. Worked fine for Capra, Gaping, and maybe one other earlier boss, and thats it.

Totally, it's so cool with 2 or 3 people.

Interesting, about your NAT.. that confirms that it's not a NAT Type 3 problem exclusively. A friend at Namco/Bandai says the patch will be coming soon, and should help with this. I am NAT Type 3, and as I was saying, get summons SOMETIMES, and it seems to be best in Blighttown for me.. I am level 41.

johntown

Banned
Wallachia said:
Really? I am thinking now that it is more about Soul Level than NAT Type, too. I am level 40ish, and the ONLY place I get good online results is Blighttown, by Quelaag..
That sounds about right. Your next place (for co-op) will be Anor Londo, Painted World and New Londo Ruins. I can almost get summoned within 5 minutes in any of those areas.

Wallachia

falconzss said:
Not NAT Type 3 for sure. Didn't have these issues with Demon's Souls :/
It's just depressing when you put down your soul sign and even 15 min later you haven't got summoned.

Yeah totally. Wow. Yeah I am NAT 3 and Demon's Souls works ALOT better for online. Here's to hoping the patch helps things.

Totally, it's sad just WAITING for that BEING SUMMONED AS A PHANTOM to flash across the screen.. but what a rush when it does, haha.

Keep laying it down every 2 minutes or so.

Wallachia

johntown said:
That sounds about right. Your next place (for co-op) will be Anor Londo, Painted World and New Londo Ruins. I can almost get summoned within 5 minutes in any of those areas.

Thanks man. More reason to start a NG then, I love redoing boss fights, like Capra and Taurus, but obviously can't at a higher Soul Level..

Sullichin

johntown said:

I can't! (Anor Londo) :(

johntown

Banned
Wallachia said:
Thanks man. More reason to start a NG then, I love redoing boss fights, like Capra and Taurus, but obviously can't at a higher Soul Level..
Why restart? When you get to NG+ you can play them again and get co-op much better if you wanted to.

johntown

Banned
Sullichin said:
I can't! (Anor Londo) :(
What's your SL?

EDIT: Where are you placing the summon sign? Right after the first spinning platform that you ride down is a good place. If your SL is above 60 you might be out of range of most people on the 1st run though and too far below most everyone on NG+.

Wallachia

johntown said:
Why restart? When you get to NG+ you can play them again and get co-op much better if you wanted to.

Sorry I mean NG+

But wait, so in NG+ you keep your Soul Level? Meaning, you will be getting summons everywhere? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom