• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually had a load of luck with summons on my first playthrough. I was around sl 60-70 from Anor Londo through to the end of the game and I could always get summoned quickly at any boss from Smough and Ornstein onwards. No luck at all in NG+ so far though :/

Speevy

Banned
I have a question, but I'm afraid I already know the answer.

I upgraded my Eagle Shield +10 to Crystal Eagle Shield and now I can't repair it or downgrade it.

Is this because it's a crystal weapon? I'm really pissed because I've been using that shield for a long time.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Speevy said:

I upgraded my Eagle Shield +10 to Crystal Eagle Shield and now I can't repair it or downgrade it.

Is this because it's a crystal weapon? I'm really pissed because I've been using that shield for a long time.

:(

Speevy said:

Yeah, thats the downside to crystal weapons, they break quickly and no repairs. You sure you can't change it back though? You can with most other upgrades.

Speevy said:

yes, but you should be able to revert back to an eagle shield. try the last option at the blacksmith.

Wallachia

Air Zombie Meat said:
I actually had a load of luck with summons on my first playthrough. I was around sl 60-70 from Anor Londo through to the end of the game and I could always get summoned quickly at any boss from Smough and Ornstein onwards. No luck at all in NG+ so far though :/

Weird. how manu minutes would you say you wait for a Summons to be answered, and for an invader to come at you? Are you an open NAT Type?

Speevy

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
yes, but you should be able to revert back to an eagle shield. try the last option at the blacksmith.

He doesn't give me the option. Maybe that's because the weapon is "in danger"?

Booshka

Air Zombie Meat said:
Yeah, thats the downside to crystal weapons, they break quickly and no repairs. You sure you can't change it back though? You can with most other upgrades.
I can't believe I wasted a Titanite Slab on upgrading a Crystal weapon to +5, got the achievement, but man what a waste for the actual game.

johntown

Banned
Wallachia said:
Sorry I mean NG+

But wait, so in NG+ you keep your Soul Level? Meaning, you will be getting summons everywhere? :)
In theory (for summons everywhere)......I know when I start I plan on being SL80 and I will try to play the majority of the game in human form and summon people when I can for fun.

Wallachia said:
Weird. how manu minutes would you say you wait for a Summons to be answered, and for an invader to come at you? Are you an open NAT Type?

5 minutes or so in the best areas (Smough and Ornstein, Tomb of the Giants and Dukes Archives gave me the most success) I actually didn't get invaded much at all in comparison but I guess I was hollow for most of the game. And yeah I have the best NAT type, whatever that is. 2 I think?

Also not sure if people are already doing this but putting your sign at the bonfire before the boss is more likely to get you summoned than at the boss door.

Sullichin

Speevy said:
I haven't gotten invaded yet. I want to hit someone with this fully upgraded lightning greataxe.

My +5 lightning scythe does something like 308phys damage, 306 lightning. How does your greataxe compare?

Speevy

Banned
Sullichin said:
My +5 lightning scythe does something like 308phys damage, 306 lightning. How does your greataxe compare?

I think it's a little bit higher than that, but I'll have to check. Not at home right now.

It's in the ballpark.

I did 800 damage to one guy.

I did a running, leaping plunge and did over 1,200 damage to one of those giant paladin knights.

Dresden

Sullichin said:
The greataxe is like 377/377 lightning, iirc. I had it to like +4 but decided not to burn a slab on it.

I've been running around with a +5 lightning Long Sword or + 5 Quelaag's Furysword. My damage doesn't come close to that. Something in the realm of 450 - 460 hp total.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I need to co op kill the gaping dragon like 4 times... been doing it an hour. result? 0.

takes forever to get summoned, and then twice the Host died, and twice I died.
This is not going well.

anyone in that area wanna co op?

Only Greataxe I've really tried is the Black Knight one and that has pretty good reach. The standard r1 attack is quite quick too, compared to greatswords anyway.

johntown

Banned
John Harker said:
I need to co op kill the gaping dragon like 4 times... been doing it an hour. result? 0.

takes forever to get summoned, and then twice the Host died, and twice I died.
This is not going well.

anyone in that area wanna co op?
What is your SL? I will not be home for another hour either.

Speevy

Banned
Air Zombie Meat said:
Only Greataxe I've really tried is the Black Knight one and that has pretty good reach. The standard r1 attack is quite quick too, compared to greatswords anyway.

Well I mean relatively speaking.

If you're in a situation where you're being swarmed and need to defend, swinging a Greataxe for maximum damage isn't the best idea.

Dresden

Speevy said:
I should probably look into that, then.

Where should I hunt for it?
Before the end of the game, where you can farm respawning black knights, the only place you can grab it is the one black knight in
the catacombs
. I equipped the serpent ring, crossed my fingers, and got it.

scy

Dresden said:
BK greataxe is perfectly viable for clearing out swarms, it's an amazing weapon. <3

I just hate the STR requirement on it, but I'm just stuck to my low STR/DEX builds since I've made nothing but INT and Faith characters.

Speevy said:
I should probably look into that, then.

Where should I hunt for it?

There's one in the Catacombs; besides that one (who doesn't respawn), you have to wait until you get to the area before the final boss.

Facism

been using a dark Knight Halberd +5 for a little while but always go back to the Lightning Halberd +5. Just so beastmode.

Dresden said:
Before the end of the game, where you can farm respawning black knights, the only place you can grab it is the one black knight in
the catacombs
. I equipped the serpent ring, crossed my fingers, and got it.

Lucky. The Great Axe seems to have the lowest drop rate of all the BK weapons.

And to everyone that wants one, if you can't get it in the game proper, you can grind for them in the last level.

Moving on, +5 True Greatsword of Astoria at max stats is pretty rape.

Speevy said:
Well I mean relatively speaking.

If you're in a situation where you're being swarmed and need to defend, swinging a Greataxe for maximum damage isn't the best idea.

Sure, unless you have good poise and the axe swing goes through their attacks and takes out all of them in one hit :) Anyway since going to NG+ I can't do that anymore. Everything hits so hard. I like it, I'm back to going through areas at a crawl like when I first started playing.

Owensboro

Whoo! Platinum-ed. Whew. Thank god for Monday Night Football. I was able to watch while farming Souvenirs of Reprisal in the P
ainted
W
orld
. Got the last Sorcery and immediately went to beat L
ost
I
zlith
to get the last Pyromancy I needed. Thank god none of the farming in this game is near as bad as it was in Demon's Souls. I never Platinum-ed that game thanks to those damn dual-wielding katana skeletons (and not fully understanding the World Tendency thing).

Now that I'm done I can finally start going to bed on time again! Wait....what's that? Uncharted 3 comes out next week? Shit. I better enjoy this sleep while I can.

johntown

Banned
John Harker said:
21 currently, trying to stay low for absolution
Yeah I was hoping you were on NG+ but I am too high for that.

All I can say is keep your distance. When he jumps run as far away as possible then try to run for his back leg or tail hit it a couple times rinse wash repeat. I took no damage doing it this way with the drake sword when I was around your level.

Don't get backed into a corner or wall either.

Working on platinum. Finally got the channeler's trident. Now all I need for Knight's Honor is the Ghost Blade that drops from the wailing ghosts.

And I need most of the upgrade stuff.

John Harker

johntown said:
Yeah I was hoping you were on NG+ but I am too high for that.

All I can say is keep your distance. When he jumps run as far away as possible then try to run for his back leg or tail hit it a couple times rinse wash repeat. I took no damage doing it this way with the drake sword when I was around your level.

Don't get backed into a corner or wall either.

Does "Weapon At Risk" cause less damage?
My Drake sword is at 105 durability so i havent been using it

johntown

Banned
Mortrialus said:
Working on platinum. Finally got the channeler's trident. Now all I need for Knight's Honor is the Ghost Blade that drops from the wailing ghosts.

And I need most of the upgrade stuff.
Out of curiosity that is not the Jagged Ghost Blade right? You need to actual Ghost Blade.

johntown

Banned
John Harker said:
Yes much less and if you keep using it without repairing it you risk breaking it. If you do not have the stats needed to weild a weapon it will break quickly if you use it anyway.

johntown said:
Out of curiosity that is not the Jagged Ghost Blade right? You need to actual Ghost Blade.

You need both.

And a channeler's trident. >_<

143:43:54, soul level 130, 2.5 playthroughs, platinum achieved.

John Harker said:

Seriously, why don't people buy the repair box... then when they sit down at a bonfire to rest, use the couple hundred souls to repair their equipmentt. Your life will be much easier and you won't really notice the missing souls.

Not directed at you, just in general. :)

johntown said:
Yeah that one is going to be an annoyance along with the regular ghost blade.

Regular ghost blade was almost the worst -- I just got it making a few runs on the new londo ruins for something -- maybe when I wanted Ingward to move to Firelink? The trident was worse for me, but I found that with my overpowered sorcery, I could ride the lift into the archives, just keep casting homing crystal soul mass and eventually take him out carefully and without him teleporting. With gold serpent ring and 30 humanity, it only took 2-3 tries, thankfully.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
tokkun said:
My experience is that mage builds are actually the most overpowered at the moment. Even if you take away the cheese, like Tranquil Walk of Peace and Magic Shield, INT scaling on spell power seems to be a lot more effective than STR/DEX scaling on weapon power. Then you have Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring which gives a further huge boost in attack power. Crystal Soul Spear does tons of damage even when blocked with most shields and Homing Crystal Soul Mass makes you focus on dodging it rather than attacking the other player.

There's also the ancillary benefit of the Soulmass spells being one of the only effective ways of combating the Fog Ring.

One of the amusing things about PvP with sorcery though is that the Dusk Crown is enormously common amongst spellcasters, and it both buffs the user's attack power with spells and increases received damage from spells, turning a PvP contest between Dusk Crown/Bellowing Dragoncrest sorcerers into an instant death contest of who can land the first hit.

So I finally killed Chaos Witch Quelaag and rang the second Bell of Awakening, only to return to Firelink Shrine to a nice suprise... Damn Lautrec, I hope it's not too difficult to rekindle the bonfire.

Also, after a brief trip into Sen's Fortress I accidentally hit Andre of Astora, turning him hostile and while running to Oswald he died. Did I lock myself out of some of the upgrade paths? (I already gave him the Large Ember).

Anyway with the help of a phantom I managed to loot most of Sen's Fortress, so I hope with the lightning spear the Iron Golem won't be too much of a problem.

Sullichin

Duebrithil said:
So I finally killed Chaos Witch Quelaag and rang the second Bell of Awakening, only to return to Firelink Shrine to a nice suprise... Damn Lautrec, I hope it's not too difficult to rekindle the bonfire.

Also, after a brief trip into Sen's Fortress I accidentally hit Andre of Astora, turning him hostile and while running to Oswald he died. Did I lock myself out of some of the upgrade paths? (I already gave him the Large Ember).

Anyway with the help of a phantom I managed to loot most of Sen's Fortress, so I hope with the lightning spear the Iron Golem won't be too much of a problem.

Iron golem is a surprisingly easy boss. I didn't even have the lightning spear because I died right when I killed the mimic (which was incredibly frustrating at the time), but I had no trouble taking him down with my weak ass divine gargoyle halberd. Sen's fortress is such a cool area.

Booshka

Duebrithil said:

Without Andre, you can't upgrade weapons to Raw, or to +10/+15 for Normal Reinforcement. He also sells the Crest of Artorias, and the Weapon and Armor Reinforcement smithboxes. If he died, you should have been able to pick up the Crest of Artorias though.

John Harker

corrosivefrost said:
Seriously, why don't people buy the repair box... then when they sit down at a bonfire to rest, use the couple hundred souls to repair their equipmentt. Your life will be much easier and you won't really notice the missing souls.

Not directed at you, just in general. :)

Yea I need to stop being hyper conservative with my souls.
Where do you buy that thing cheaply again?

Sullichin

Booshka said:
Without Andre, you can't upgrade weapons to Raw, or to +10/+15 for Normal Reinforcement. He also sells the Crest of Artorias, and the Weapon and Armor Reinforcement smithboxes. If he died, you should have been able to pick up the Crest of Artorias though.

If you kill him, are you effectively preventing yourself from being able to make lightning weapons in anor londo because you cant upgrade to +10 from him? He's still alive in my game.. just wondering. that would suck

LukeSmith

johntown said:
What's your SL?

EDIT: Where are you placing the summon sign? Right after the first spinning platform that you ride down is a good place. If your SL is above 60 you might be out of range of most people on the 1st run though and too far below most everyone on NG+.

I placed my summon sign at the bonfire inside the Londo Fortress before the boss and ended up getting 6 or so boss assist kills last night (SL 54)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom