• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost23

I asked this question before, but I'm not sure if anyone answered it.

I upgraded my spear +6 to a divine spear. It lowered its physical damage, but its magic went up. However, I cannot tell what the magic stat that is raised does. I feel like I just made my spear worse. Can someone explain what the divine spear does?

Sullichin

FuzzyNorman said:

I upgraded my spear +6 to a divine spear. It lowered its physical damage, but its magic went up. However, I cannot tell what the magic stat that is raised does. I feel like I just made my spear worse. Can someone explain what the divine spear does?

it does physical damage and magic damage, the magic damage scales with faith. in my experience you'll get way more damage from a lightning weapon (but won't scale with stats)

scy

FuzzyNorman said:

The magic damage scales with Faith at the cost of some of the Physical scaling. If you're not aiming for a Faith build, this is probably a bad upgrade path for you. You can undo it, though, at a Blacksmith. If you are going for a Faith build, it scales fairly well until 40 Faith where it sharply drops off; Occult scales a bit better until 50 Faith but then tapers off there as well.

Small Mailman said:
And now you can kill Skeletons and Ghosts right?

It just keeps certain skeletons dead; no other benefit I can tell from the damage type.

Booshka

"Searching for World of the Guilty"

"Failed to Invade"

"Failed to Invade"

"Failed to Invade"

"Failed to Invade"

bleh

Edit:

"Failed to Invade"

Dresden

FuzzyNorman said:

Divine weapons scale off Faith. The faith is applied as bonus magic damage.

You can easily revert that spear back to +5 or just use it as a divine weapon, which aren't that bad for other characters.

Carcetti

scy said:
I really feel like they meant for the Hollow shield to be a much later drop (like, around when the Caduceus Kite Shield is dropped, if we remove it from Andrei's store); it's kind of sad that it trumps basically every non-Greatshield in the game barring a few moments and it's a beginning of the game trash mob drop :/
¨
What's more hilarious is that the starting sorc staff is the best overall Catalyst in game. Tin Crystallization Catalyst cuts your attunes in half and Logan's Catalyst is better only if you got 50+ int. Other Catalysts are even worse.

scy

FuzzyNorman said:
Are you serious? :p Faith is one of the only stats that I'm not leveling up. Great....

For what it's worth, you'll probably want a Divine weapon eventually for the Catacombs. It isn't a requirement by any means but it comes in handy.

If you haven't, I'd grab the Winged Spear from the cemetery near Firelink Shrine; better than the Spear ever so slightly with the same moveset.

Carcetti said:
¨
What's more hilarious is that the starting sorc staff is the best overall Catalyst in game. Tin Crystallization Catalyst cuts your attunes in half and Logan's Catalyst is better only if you got 50+ int. Other Catalysts are even worse.

Talismans are about the same. Canvas wins out around the 40-44 mark, Ivory wins out 45-47, and Darkmoon for 48+.

Logan's is around the 45-ish (might be lower, actually?) mark too where it beats it out ... but not by much; hell, it's only like 10 points higher at 60 INT.

Quikies83

Damn those two silver knights with mega bows in Anor Londo... i've died a ridiculous amount of times now due to the tight walk and power of these fucks.. Any advice?

Sullichin

Quikies83 said:
Damn those two silver knights with mega bows in Anor Londo... i've died a ridiculous amount of times now due to the tight walk and power of these fucks.. Any advice?

Ignore the guy on the left. Run up the middle roof, shield down, the arrows shouldn't hit you. then sprint like fuck to the guy on the right. Roll through his arrow and get up in his face. Block once you have enough footing. Keep blocking and he'll fall off

scy said:
For what it's worth, you'll probably want a Divine weapon eventually for the Catacombs. It isn't a requirement by any means but it comes in handy.

If you haven't, I'd grab the Winged Spear from the cemetery near Firelink Shrine; better than the Spear ever so slightly with the same moveset.

Talismans are about the same. Canvas wins out around the 40-44 mark, Ivory wins out 45-47, and Darkmoon for 48+.

Logan's is around the 45-ish (might be lower, actually?) mark too where it beats it out ... but not by much; hell, it's only like 10 points higher at 60 INT.

Can't be stated enough. Those skeletons are a pain in the ass without a divine weapon to keep them down.

Quikies83

Sullichin said:
Ignore the guy on the left. Run up the middle roof, shield down, the arrows shouldn't hit you. then sprint like fuck to the guy on the right. Roll through his arrow and get up in his face. Block once you have enough footing. Keep blocking and he'll fall off
I'm getting up the middle part to where I tightwalk the ledge -- You're saying I need to try rolling under his arrows? Hmmmm good idea! Even though I have the special flip roll, that shouldn't be a problem?

anddo0

Very frustrated. I focused on the tail and still no Moonlight Greatsword. It looks like it's do or die for NG++ for both Priscilla and Seath. I'm not doing another run for a good while.

Sullichin

Manmademan said:
Can't be stated enough. Those skeletons are a pain in the ass without a divine weapon to keep them down.

good, at least i know me upgrading my divine gargoyle halberd isn't a total waste of time

Quikies83 said:
I'm getting up the middle part to where I tightwalk the ledge -- You're saying I need to try rolling under his arrows? Hmmmm good idea! Even though I have the special flip roll, that shouldn't be a problem?

idk about the flip roll but yeah. if you block them you'll just fall off. you should only have to dodge one of them

Small Mailman said:
Two questions:

Is there a fast travel item of any sort in this game?

Can I play co-op with someone from my friends or is it just limited to summoning the ghost of great warriors such as Xx420BubbaKushxX?

1. Yes, you get it about 2/3's of the way through the game. It's not perfect but it works.

2. It's limited to just summoning but there are ways to game the system to get your buddies summon sign to show basically. Basically just dropping having him drop his white soapstone over and over again to change servers so his sign shows up in your world.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Manmademan said:

Or you could be badass like me, kill skeletons and use the physics engine by kicking their bones, spreading them across the world and preventing them from respawning.

scosher

scy said:

Yah, but the better option for that is just descending a free Occult club you get to a Divine Club. No materials or souls lost, blunt > spears for the skeles anyway.

Quikies83 said:

I just went in with a couple poison arrows, shot the one on the right from a distance, waited two minutes for him to die, and ta-da, success.

Sullichin

Corky said:
Or you could be badass like me, kill skeletons and use the physics engine by kicking their bones, spreading them across the world and preventing them from respawning.

You can do this? that's awesome.

Ghost23

scy said:

I only have 12 DEX, the winged spear needs 15, so I don't think it's worth upgrading for a little more damage.

Speevy

Banned
Manmademan said:

I think the best advice for people, rather than telling them to upgrade faith against their wishes, it to say "Get as powerful a weapon as you can and take out the necromancers." The necromancers are the things responsible for bringing skeletons back to life.

The Catacombs are a pain, but getting someone to rush through them is going to get them flayed alive in the Tomb of Giants. I was near level 80 and that part still took me a while.

Wallachia

So I have all these killer weapons: Dragon Great Sword, Dragon Great Axe and others, but I need 50 strength to wield! What a fucked up tease! How the hell amd I going to buy all that. Only Level 42 now, with 21 Strength.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
What's the best weapon to totally pimp out with lightning for a warrior build who has balanced Str/End/Vit stats (20) and Dex at 15? Not planning to put much into Faith or Int. Will probably focus on End and Vit once I know what weapon I'm going to invest in heavily.

The Claymore seems like a versatile weapon (not too slow, easy requirements, has wide attack and stab attack) that upgrades to lightning nicely.

Is it even possible to suggest an answer to this question without needing a lot more info?

Booshka

Augemitbutter said:
what's your level?
Way too high (167), but I'm in the Darkmoon Covenant, I thought it wasn't level restricted.

I invaded and beat the same guy 4 times last night, so I got 4 Souvenirs's, but I don't want to farm Harpies for the rest.

Sullichin

hey_it's_that_dog said:
What's the best weapon to totally pimp out with lightning for a warrior build who has balanced Str/End/Vit stats (20) and Dex at 15? Not planning to put much into Faith or Int. Will probably focus on End and Vit once I know what weapon I'm going to invest in heavily.

The Claymore seems like a versatile weapon (not too slow, easy requirements, has wide attack and stab attack) that upgrades to lightning nicely.

Is it even possible to suggest an answer to this question without needing a lot more info?

I find this to be the most useful site for questions like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/lightning

I really like my lighting scythe +5. Great reach. Same moveset as halberd. Crazy damage.

Speevy

Banned
Wallachia said:
So I have all these killer weapons: Dragon Great Sword, Dragon Great Axe and others, but I need 50 strength to wield! What a fucked up tease! How the hell amd I going to buy all that. Only Level 42 now, with 21 Strength.

The dragon weapons require dragon scales to upgrade, and these items are few and far between in my game at least.

If you want to use an axe, get a greataxe and start working toward a lightning greataxe. If you want a sword, get the best sword you can find and start working toward a lightning sword.

Booshka said:
Way too high (167), but I'm in the Darkmoon Covenant, I thought it wasn't level restricted.

I invaded and beat the same guy 4 times last night, so I got 4 Souvenirs's, but I don't want to farm Harpies for the rest.

the orb invasions did seem to be restricted to me. i didn't fight any cheaters while invading them.

the ring invasions are different and full of cheaters.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Sullichin said:
I find this to be the most useful site for questions like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/lightning

I really like my lighting scythe +5. Great reach. Same moveset as halberd. Crazy damage.

Looks helpful! Thanks!

I haven't used the Halberd at all because I don't like the way the wobbly thrust looks. Probably not a good reason, but I'm already violating my aesthetic desires by wearing the Eastern Helm combined with Stone Armor and I'm lookin' stupid.

Ghost23

What covenant is for the serpent person right next to the firelink shrine? I'm talking to him but don't know if I should say yes or no.

Sullichin

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Looks helpful! Thanks!

I haven't used the Halberd at all because I don't like the way the wobbly thrust looks. Probably not a good reason, but I'm already violating my aesthetic desires by wearing the Eastern Helm combined with Stone Armor and I'm lookin' stupid.

The r1 attack on the scythe is a downwad vertical attack, not a straightfoward thrust. i found it hits stuff that my demons spear will miss. but yeah it's all about what weapon you like using. i'm wearing havel's set and a crimson robe and i look pretty retarded.

Is there better armor than havels (ie same/better poise/def)? It's great but I don't like the way it looks really

MoxManiac

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Looks helpful! Thanks!

It's not wobbly if it hits.

vpance

Speevy said:
I think the best advice for people, rather than telling them to upgrade faith against their wishes, it to say "Get as powerful a weapon as you can and take out the necromancers." The necromancers are the things responsible for bringing skeletons back to life.

The Catacombs are a pain, but getting someone to rush through them is going to get them flayed alive in the Tomb of Giants. I was near level 80 and that part still took me a while.

The thing with the skeletons is once you knock em down you can just hit them again as they rebuild and standup which knocks em down again. Not sure if that's an effect of a divine weapon but I'm pretty sure maces or clubs have that effect too. But yeah without a divine weapon the constant respawning is annoying.

Speevy said:

Disagree. There have been more than a few times where I couldn't figure out where the necromancer even was- down a level, behind a wall, who the fuck knows, and those skeletons were everywhere.

upgrading a throwaway weapon to divine is ludicrously easy- and the game even gives you a free one in the valley of the drakes. There's no reason not to roll in there with one. That way you can knock them out one by one, take your time exploring the level and not have to worry about trying to run past all of those aggro skeletons trying to find where the necromancer is hiding.

The thing with the skeletons is once you knock em down you can just hit them again as they rebuild and standup which knocks em down again. Not sure if that's an effect of a divine weapon but I'm pretty sure maces or clubs have that effect too. But yeah without a divine weapon the constant respawning is annoying.

"regular" or blunt damage (not piercing, or slash) will cause them to fall apart- doesn't have to be divine. something like a mace can keep them immobilized so they never get a hit in if they're constantly pulling themselves back together.

It stinks that you can't back up your saves. The game ate my save last night. 100+ hours in, when I booted it just kept saying my save was corrupt and it couldn't even overwrite it with a new one - I'd have to exit the game and manually delete it. But when I tried (after sobbing briefly) there was no save to delete, it was already gone.

After subsequent reboots the PS3 and restarts of the game, it finally stopped saying that, and instead just kept saying "Dialog?" "OK/Cancel" endlessly, and wouldn't even load the title screen.

After more restarts, it only did the "Dialog?" prompt a few times and finally got to the title screen. So now I've restarted the game. Yay. Amazingly, the game is so damned good that I jumped right back in again rather than moving on to one of the trio of shooters (Rage, Gears 3, or Resistance 3) that I picked up in the Toys R Us B2G1 sale.

Sullichin

Leondexter said:
It stinks that you can't back up your saves. The game ate my save last night. 100+ hours in, when I booted it just kept saying my save was corrupt and it couldn't even overwrite it with a new one - I'd have to exit the game and manually delete it. But when I tried (after sobbing briefly) there was no save to delete, it was already gone.

After subsequent reboots the PS3 and restarts of the game, it finally stopped saying that, and instead just kept saying "Dialog?" "OK/Cancel" endlessly, and wouldn't even load the title screen.

After more restarts, it only did the "Dialog?" prompt a few times and finally got to the title screen. So now I've restarted the game. Yay. Amazingly, the game is so damned good that I jumped right back in again rather than moving on to one of the trio of shooters (Rage, Gears 3, or Resistance 3) that I picked up in the Toys R Us B2G1 sale.

That sucks.. you seem to be taking it well.

Carcetti

Speevy said:

It's easy getting a +5 divine weapon. Just go to Anor Londo before Catacombs and nab an occult club from the keep. Then downgrade it to Divine +5 for a paltry sum of souls, and done.

Speevy

Banned
vpance said:

The Drake sword does this too. It's just an effect of so many damage weapons.

I ran in there with the drake sword the first time and slowly but surely began to take out the necromancers.

Once you push the switch that removes the spikes, the level becomes about 35% easier.

And once you remove the black knight at the bottom, it's not very hard at all.

Speevy

Banned
Carcetti said:
It's easy getting a +5 divine weapon. Just go to Anor Londo before Catacombs and nab an occult club from the keep. Then downgrade it to Divine +5 for a paltry sum of souls, and done.

Umm...I'm gonna assume most people aren't at Anor Londo before they try The Catacombs for the first time.

Leondexter said:
It stinks that you can't back up your saves.[b/] The game ate my save last night. 100+ hours in, when I booted it just kept saying my save was corrupt and it couldn't even overwrite it with a new one - I'd have to exit the game and manually delete it. But when I tried (after sobbing briefly) there was no save to delete, it was already gone.

PSN+ allows you to back up your saves, FYI

Dresden

Aguirre said:
uhm on a scale of 1-10, just how important is oswald of carim atop of the belltowers in undead parish?

i disposed of him.
Cheap curse cures, indictments, book of the guilty.

Also absolves sin if you aggro an npc or break a covenant.

I've never used him though. Just avoid hitting npc's and you'll be fine.

Sullichin said:
That sucks.. you seem to be taking it well.

Well, I did make some mistakes (if you can call it that in this game) - couple of dead NPCs and such, and weapon upgrades I'd do differently if given a chance. So now I have the chance. The only scary thing is, what if it happens again? Let me copy my save, you jerks!

kodt

Banned
FuzzyNorman said:
Are you serious? :p Faith is one of the only stats that I'm not leveling up. Great....

Yeah, a divine weapon is good against the skeletons in catacombs/tomb of giants and the graveyard leading to the catacombs. Also a divine weapon will prevent those skeletons from re-spawning. I also recommend a mace or morning star against them as it knocks them down and you can hit them while they are down. I used a Divine Morningstar +5 that worked quite well, could kill basic skeletons with two L2 attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom