• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

Leondexter said:
Well, I did make some mistakes (if you can call it that in this game) - couple of dead NPCs and such, and weapon upgrades I'd do differently if given a chance. So now I have the chance. The only scary thing is, what if it happens again? Let me copy my save, you jerks!

yeah there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do this. i haven't beaten the game but i'm 65 hours in and i'd be so pissed if that happened

Speevy said:
Umm...I'm gonna assume most people aren't at Anor Londo before they try The Catacombs for the first time.

eh, you never know. I haven't even fully explored it yet, because I got sidetracked. I made it down to the smith that's down there, then got hammered by wheeled skeletons i didn't see coming.

the game gets pretty nonlinear after a certain point

Speevy

Banned
There should be something in the OP about things you should not do, like hitting NPCs, upgrading your weapons to crystal, etc.

Sullichin

Manmademan said:
eh, you never know. I haven't even fully explored it yet, because I got sidetracked. I made it down to the smith that's down there, then got hammered by wheeled skeletons i didn't see coming.

the game gets pretty nonlinear after a certain point

ive beaten anor londo and i haven't been to the catacombs yet. ive just been to that tiny graveyard near firelink.

Beats

Aguirre said:
uhm on a scale of 1-10, just how important is oswald of carim atop of the belltowers in undead parish?

i disposed of him.

It is only human to commit a sin...

If you aggro any npcs from now on you won't be able to revert them back to normal with him gone so be careful.

Finally in NG+, but before that. I killed all the merchants, and 3 blacksmiths. Tried to kill that huge crow too, but its scripted to fly away at low health. Hit it with my Crystal Ring for over 2k and it still flew away. Spared Carim to absolve my sins LOL. Didn't kill Solaire though. Had so many opportunity, but didn't. Maybe this playthrough? Let him get killed by a boss?
Aguirre said:
uhm on a scale of 1-10, just how important is oswald of carim atop of the belltowers in undead parish?

i disposed of him.
10 only because he lets you absolve your sins.

Aguirre

Dresden said:
Cheap curse cures, indictments, book of the guilty.

Also absolves sin if you aggro an npc or break a covenant.

I've never used him though. Just avoid hitting npc's and you'll be fine.

little late for that!

i couldn't help it.

my "dark passenger" had urges, urges that a weakened mindstate could not resist.

sadly he isn't the first to die by these urges.

so far: crestfallen warrior, solaire of astora, 1 undead burg merchant, uhm, some guy stuck in a barrel in the depths, a guy with a leather mask with antlers protruding from it.

oh and petrus of thorolund. though it must be said he was dismissive of my attacks at first, and i could have NOT killed him, but i'm the first to admit that that particular kill was sheer bloodlust.

damn. i'm 40 hours in at level 50, will just have to journey on somehow, some way.

Aguirre said:

i disposed of him.

LOL. probably the last dude in the game you'd want to get rid of. If you mess up with one of the covenants, or aggro a merchant or trainer he's the only one in the game that can fix that.

Why on earth would you do that? It never makes sense to kill an NPC, unless it attacks you first.

Ghost23

Does saying yes to frampt in his first dialogue force me into a covenant? I don't want to join his but I want to trade shards.

Dresden said:
As long as you don't touch the blacksmiths (or some of the spell vendors), nothing else really matters!

you'd think so, but the Forest covenant is bugged, making "sinning" and breaking the covenant unavoidable. This happened to me during my playthrough.

SO, not only is it impossible to rejoin it without that dude in the belltower, I'm also on some kind of list and have forest covenant jerks invading my game looking for revenge whenever I'm in human form.

Speevy

Banned
pedr0theli0n said:
does sif scale with your SL? I waited to 45 or so, and he seems impossible.

Nobody knows how the scaling works in this game. It's fair to say that if you're well armored, have a good shield, and have a good weapon, you're better off at any level.

Booshka

Leondexter said:
It stinks that you can't back up your saves. The game ate my save last night. 100+ hours in, when I booted it just kept saying my save was corrupt and it couldn't even overwrite it with a new one - I'd have to exit the game and manually delete it. But when I tried (after sobbing briefly) there was no save to delete, it was already gone.

After subsequent reboots the PS3 and restarts of the game, it finally stopped saying that, and instead just kept saying "Dialog?" "OK/Cancel" endlessly, and wouldn't even load the title screen.

After more restarts, it only did the "Dialog?" prompt a few times and finally got to the title screen. So now I've restarted the game. Yay. Amazingly, the game is so damned good that I jumped right back in again rather than moving on to one of the trio of shooters (Rage, Gears 3, or Resistance 3) that I picked up in the Toys R Us B2G1 sale.
Reading this gave me the idea of copying my save to a memory card I have for my 360.

Just tried it, says, "This file can't be transferred among storage devices." Lame, hopefully I don't have any issues, because that would have been an easy way to back up the save.

Misterinenja said:
So at Lost Izalith:
Solaire of Astoria just attacked me with a bug on his head. Killed the poor bastard.

Am I screwed?

Of course you're screwed.
You let the coolest character in the game die.

Booshka said:
Reading this gave me the idea of copying my save to a memory card I have for my 360.

Just tried it, says, "This file can't be transferred among storage devices." Lame, hopefully I don't have any issues, because that would have been an easy way to back up the save.
Dark Souls game save are copy protected.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So I just finished off the Abyss' boss(es), and now I'm in front of Kaathe, and he just asked his question. What are the consequences of this decision?

Jinfash said:
So I just finished the Abyss boss(es), and now I'm in front of Kaathe, and he asked his question. What are the consequences of this decision?
Do it!!!! :) The only covenant I missed because well gave my
lordvessel to Frampt instead.

scy

pedr0theli0n said:
does sif scale with your SL? I waited to 45 or so, and he seems impossible.

He's deceptively easy when you learn the fight.
Almost all of his attacks are wide attacks that hit basically everywhere around him ... except at super close range. From there, he really can't do much as he twirls around, swinging carelessly over your head. Stick as close as you can and you'll do fine.

Booshka

zerokoolpsx said:
Dark Souls game save are copy protected.
Not well enough then, people can plug in a USB memory stick with a 360 version of Dark Souls save on it into their PC and rewrite stats to their liking. Yet I can't back up my save with another "Official" storage device, pretty shitty if you ask me, but most DRM is, so I'm not surprised.

shaneskim

Booshka said:
Not well enough then, people can plug in a USB memory stick with a 360 version of Dark Souls save on it into their PC and rewrite stats to their liking. Yet I can't back up my save with another "Official" storage device, pretty shitty if you ask me, but most DRM is, so I'm not surprised.
A griefers dream....

Kalnos

Banned
Summoning phantom, summoning failed...

How can the netcode be so botched?

The online system needs to be reworked but I don't think summoning failed is a result of their code. It seems to vary from person to person but after I changed my settings around some I rarely get a failed message.

Audioboxer

Kalnos said:
The online system needs to be reworked but I don't think summoning failed is a result of their code. It seems to vary from person to person but after I changed my settings around some I rarely get a failed message.

Settings on PS3/router, or in game? I guess you're probably right, for the most part when it works, summoning runs great here (no lag). Had lag a few times getting invaded though.

MoxManiac

If you want to kill NPCs without staining your hands with blood, just lure monsters near em. It's pretty funny actually. Doesn't work with all NPC locations of course.

sixghost

Aguirre said:

i disposed of him.
I've played through the game twice, and I've only returned to him once. And that was to buy a spell that only he has. I'm not sure if it's any good though.

You'll be fine. You do seem to kill a lot of NPCs though.

Booshka said:

Really? Can I edit in a dozen slabs of coloured ore and end my days of tedious farming? :)

Misterinenja said:
So at Lost Izalith:
Solaire of Astoria just attacked me with a bug on his head. Killed the poor bastard.

Am I screwed?

No, Sunbro helped you all along, but all you could do for him in the end was give him mercy from that mind controlling bug. But if you need to cry a bit, it's okay.

If you had of worshiped Chaos, you could save him and he joins you for the last boss battle. That was my goal of NG+ once I found that out... forget about the Age of Man crap, SUNBRO MUST LIVE!!

<insert sunbro jolly cooperation gif here>

Small Mailman said:
And now you can kill Skeletons and Ghosts right?

You can kill them with any weapon. The Divine weapon stops them from coming back to life *when the necromancer is alive*. If you kill the necromancer (guys in red robes throwing fireballs at you) the skeletons also will not come back to life. The necromancers do not respawn once killed, even if you die or use a bonfire. This is, I assume, why the skeletons in the catacombs do not give souls, because otherwise you could farm them forever.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
zerokoolpsx said:
Do it!!!! :) The only covenant I missed because well gave my
lordvessel to Frampt instead.
I see.

Will I still be able to talk to Frampt after siding with Kaathe? Also, I never talked to Frampt after acquiring the Lordvessel, so would his course of action be?

Booshka said:
"Searching for World of the Guilty"

"Failed to Invade"

"Failed to Invade"

"Failed to Invade"

"Failed to Invade"

bleh

Edit:

"Failed to Invade"

I think I've been lucky for that in the OPPOSITE manner... sometimes I'll just be doing something in human form, then up pops a window saying "failed to establish session"... which I assume is an Invader seeing the messages you are describing above :D

Im_Special

Speevy said:
Nobody knows how the scaling works in this game. It's fair to say that if you're well armored, have a good shield, and have a good weapon, you're better off at any level.
Umm, scaling is well known actually. it has nothing to do with your level, difficulty ups at a percentage increasing damage/health/armor on a per mob basis with diminishing returns the more NG's you do. A general rule of thumb is the weaker the enemy the bigger the boost they get, for example on your first NG those beginning zombies see around a 300% increase in damage output, a boss might only see a 25% boost, NG+ those zombies would only gain another 25% and each NG after that would keep increasing by another 25% until your 7th NG where it'll cap out and stay put.

Jinfash said:
I see.

Will I still be able to talk to Frampt after siding with Kaathe? Also, I never talked to Frampt after acquiring the Lordvessel, so would his course of action be?

No, once you pick a side the other one disappears.

Ok so I know its hard to set up a coop game but Im asking for someone to try with me. I'm in forest covenant, level 49. East coast USA. Looking for some help tonight. I got 3 Humanity items so thats as many tries as we get.

I know this is desperate but this boss is beating my butt. For me this is harder then Fatboy and Slim....

scosher

Sullichin said:
Is there better armor than havels (ie same/better poise/def)? It's great but I don't like the way it looks really

Hey, went through the strategy guide for ya...and in terms of poise, Havel's is the best.

For slightly less weight and poise, you could look at Smough's set or Stone set. Smough's has better defenses, but Stone has slightly better poise (39 vs 35).

Actually, better than either of those is Giant's Armor +5, which has better defenses than Smough's or Stone's, good poise, and less weight.

All of these btw come with stamina regen penalties, so if you want heavy armor with no stam regen penalties, your best option is actually Black Iron set +5, but swapping out the Black Iron Leggings (which has stam penalty) for an alternative piece (best individual choices here are Elite Knight Leggings +10 if you want another 12 poise, or Antiquated Skirt +5 if you don't care about the poise and want crazy good stats, and less weight to boot)

Should add that Royal Helm at +10 is one of the best heavy armor pieces at a def/weight ratio, and with no regen penalty.

Fahrenheit said:
Ok so I know its hard to set up a coop game but Im asking for someone to try with me. I'm in forest covenant, level 49. East coast USA. Looking for some help tonight. I got 3 Humanity items so thats as many tries as we get.

I know this is desperate but this boss is beating my butt. For me this is harder then Fatboy and Slim....

It's Sif you mean? How much endurance do you have?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Oracle Dragon said:
No, once you pick a side the other one disappears.
Gasp! Please tell me Kaathe eats items and breaks down shards as well.

(How big of an impact does this have on the story/ending? which of the two leads to the best outcomes?)

scosher said:
Hey, went through the strategy guide for ya...and in terms of poise, Havel's is the best.

For slightly less weight and poise, you could look at Smough's set or Stone set. Smough's has better defenses, but Stone has slightly better poise (39 vs 35).

Actually, better than either of those is Giant's Armor +5, which has better defenses than Smough's or Stone's, good poise, and less weight.

All of these btw come with stamina regen penalties, so if you want heavy armor with no stam regen penalties, your best option is actually Black Iron set +5, but swapping out the Black Iron Leggings (which has stam penalty) for an alternative piece (best individual choices here are Elite Knight Leggings +10 if you want another 12 poise, or Antiquated Skirt +5 if you don't care about the poise and want crazy good stats, and less weight to boot)

How can you tell if there is a stam penalty or not? Some of the sets say it in he item description, but for example I don't remember Black Iron Leggings saying that they had one? I do remember Giants set saying it had one, while I don't believe Havels says that? Is there another way to tell?

scosher

Oracle Dragon said:
How can you tell if there is a stam penalty or not? Some of the sets say it in he item description, but for example I don't remember Black Iron Leggings saying that they had one? I do remember Giants set saying it had one, while I don't believe Havels says that? Is there another way to tell?

I'm going strictly by the strategy guide. Could be outright wrong or outdated from a patch, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom