• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeSmith

Fahrenheit said:
Ok so I know its hard to set up a coop game but Im asking for someone to try with me. I'm in forest covenant, level 49. East coast USA. Looking for some help tonight. I got 3 Humanity items so thats as many tries as we get.

I know this is desperate but this boss is beating my butt. For me this is harder then Fatboy and Slim....

What's the Stability on your shield? I did Sif last night at SL54 with the following loadout:

Vit 22
End 25

Eagle Shield +10
Elite Knight Chest +9
Hard Leather Gloves +6
Antiquated Legs
Gold Hemmed Helm

I could absorb all of Sif's hits (even that spinning two swing) with plenty of Stamina to spare. I'm guessing it was the stability difference for the Eagle Shield - I was using something else when I fought him at lower level, coupled with additional points I put in End.

LukeSmith said:
What's the Stability on your shield? I did Sif last night at SL54 with the following loadout:

Vit 22
End 25

Eagle Shield +10
Elite Knight Chest +9
Hard Leather Gloves +6
Antiquated Legs
Gold Hemmed Helm

I could absorb all of Sif's hits (even that spinning two swing) with plenty of Stamina to spare. I'm guessing it was the stability difference for the Eagle Shield - I was using something else when I fought him at lower level, coupled with additional points I put in End.

Talking about a later boss named Seath

Jinfash said:
Gasp! Please tell me Kaathe eats items and breaks down shards as well.

(How big of an impact does this have on the story/ending? which of the two leads to the best outcomes?)

Nope, if you chose him you can't do that anymore.

Minor spoiler about the NPC:

As far as I am aware, it does not change the ending. However Kaath is the only NPC in the game that gives you the straight up TRUTH about what is happening. I'm sure you have seen posts about people complaining "WTF" with the ending, that's because they never met Kaath and don't understand what happened. If you side with Frampt first you can never even MEET Kaath and miss it all.

Major Spoiler about the ending:

Kaath will reveal to you that you are being manipulated by Frampt. Frampt (driven by Dark Sun Gwyndolin) is trying to trick you into re-linking the dying fire at Kiln of the First Flame, because whoever does it (like Gwyn did) sacrifices themselves to do it. Dark Sun Gwymdolin DOES want to live forever using the power of the fire but DOESN'T want himself to be the one to make the sacrifice. So he wants to sucker YOU (using the illusion of Princess Gwynevere) to do it in his place.

So when you link the flame after beating Gwyn, hence the 10 second "you get consumed in fire" ending, and everyone goes "WTF crap ending!". That's because its the BAD ending, you LOST. But if you never met Kaath, you would never even know that, that's why they all think the ending is poor, because they think they won. You win by taking Kaaths advice and DON'T light the flame (just walk back out the door you came in), and the ending is better.

Note that this is the same type of ending as in Demons Souls: Do "something" (press the button) get the bad ending, do "nothing" (walk away) get the good ending.

How easy is moonlight butterfly for a sorcerer? SL 19, just rang the first bell.

Not bad as long as your equipment load is <25%. If you can dodge its attacks and hit it with soul arrow/heavy etc. Do this enough and he will fly close, switch to any melee weapon you have and whack away while it's close. Found it all 3 times to be very easy.

Defunkled

Quick question about the Chaos Servant covenant:

If I get up to rank 2 and the shortcut to Lost Izalith opens up, does that shortcut close if I break the covenant? I want the Daughter of Chaos' Fire Keeper Soul.

Augemitbutter said:
thanks guys.

I got the pole, but i have not farmed for it. some guides say you don't need it. leave it out until the end i'd say.

you only need to give 10 eyes of death for the trophy, not more.
patches will sell you three each playthrough and another 3 can be found in the catacombs as well.

i did some pvp for the rest of the reprisal marks. you need 10 total here too.

Thanks man ! I blindly assumed it was 30 for the greater miracle... 10 is a piece of cake, with 9 eyes obtainable for each playthrough.

Marks of reprisal might be a problem because I don't want to farm. I haven't been able to darkmoon invade more than once after about 1 hour of trying (lvl 82 here).

Dever

Banned
So um... Here's what happened. I screwed up the forest covenant my first time through, so I thought I'd try again in NG+. So I join the covenant, but I fail to realize the NPCs in the forest aren't hostile anymore and kill one of them(lol). Then the guy wearing eastern armor attacks me, saying I'd betrayed them and I realize my mistake. The cat tells me I suck and vanishes. Can I still redeem myself if I absolve my sins? Is there any point to doing that when the eastern guy is dead?

Aguirre

demosthenes said:
Not bad as long as your equipment load is <25%. If you can dodge its attacks and hit it with soul arrow/heavy etc. Do this enough and he will fly close, switch to any melee weapon you have and whack away while it's close. Found it all 3 times to be very easy.
quite possibly the easiest boss in the game. dodge dodge dodge.

Otheradam

toasty_T said:
Gonna try helping people out with S&O today so I can get the Chaos Covenant to level 2.

SL 62 isn't too high is it?

I'm around 46 right now and need to face them, so you're ok. I think most people coming here would be at least 40 by then.

Defunkled said:
Quick question about the Chaos Servant covenant:

If I get up to rank 2 and the shortcut to Lost Izalith opens up, does that shortcut close if I break the covenant? I want the Daughter of Chaos' Fire Keeper Soul.

I have never tried it myself, but to my knowledge, no, the shortcut stays open. However, you should be able to find enough firekeeper souls without killing her. If you really want to kill her, just finish with bed of Chaos and you won't have a reason to come back there anyways. As it is, if you are still doing Bed of Chaos and/or farming the only respawning Titanite Demon, then the shortcut from Queloggs Domain to Demon Ruins is likely the fastest way there (it's an elevator that drops you into the room where the Firesage Demon was).

Booshka

Fahrenheit said:
Talking about a later boss named Seath
Put on the Slumbering DragonCrest Ring, 2H a weapon, equip the Grass Crest Shield and leave it on your back, then run around in circles going for the limbs.

Insaniac

dealing with the catacombs now and while the skellies aren't really a problem to kill they keep coming back and i get overwhelmed. As a caster should I just forge a random divine weapon? If so, can a ghost blade be forged into a divine weapon?

Booshka

Insaniac said:
dealing with the catacombs now and while the skellies aren't really a problem to kill they keep coming back and i get overwhelmed. As a caster should I just forge a random divine weapon? If so, can a ghost blade be forged into a divine weapon?
I think so, but I suggest a Club or Mace for a Divine Weapon, they will knock the Skeleton's down and make them easier to kill.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Oracle Dragon said:
Nope, if you chose him you can't do that anymore.

Minor spoiler about the NPC:

As far as I am aware, it does not change the ending. However Kaath is the only NPC in the game that gives you the straight up TRUTH about what is happening. I'm sure you have seen posts about people complaining "WTF" with the ending, that's because they never met Kaath and don't understand what happened. If you side with Frampt first you can never even MEET Kaath and miss it all.

Major Spoiler about the ending:

Kaath will reveal to you that you are being manipulated by Frampt. Frampt (driven by Dark Sun Gwyndolin) is trying to trick you into re-linking the dying fire at Kiln of the First Flame, because whoever does it (like Gwyn did) sacrifices themselves to do it. Dark Sun Gwymdolin DOES want to live forever using the power of the fire but DOESN'T want himself to be the one to make the sacrifice. So he wants to sucker YOU (using the illusion of Princess Gwynevere) to do it in his place.

So when you link the flame after beating Gwyn, hence the 10 second "you get consumed in fire" ending, and everyone goes "WTF crap ending!". That's because its the BAD ending, you LOST. But if you never met Kaath, you would never even know that, that's why they all think the ending is poor, because they think they won. You win by taking Kaaths advice and DON'T light the flame (just walk back out the door you came in), and the ending is better.

Note that this is the same type of ending as in Demons Souls: Do "something" (press the button) get the bad ending, do "nothing" (walk away) get the good ending.
I feel much better now. Thanks <3

Edit:

What does the "Offer souls to the Lordvessel" option do?

2AdEPT

Raxus said:
I tested everything. No they do not. Only the weapons dropped by the ghosts in New Land do damage to them. Good news is you will likely find a transient curse or two running through the ghosts in the area.
Curesed weapons, there are like four in the game, are the only weapons but I jsut made a new AStoria Greatsword from a boss's soul that better work or the startegy guide bum steered me!!!

the soul is
SIF's
and the ascension path is any straight sword...a regular magic astoria greatsword is with the broken sword.

Jinfash said:
I feel much better now. Thanks <3

Edit:

What does the "Offer souls to the Lordvessel" option do?

As you beat the final bosses of the game you don't get a usable soul, you get a "Lords Soul". When you have all of them, you put them in the Lordvessle and it opens the door to the final area of the game.

Audioboxer

WTF, Lautrec killed my Firelink soul keeper right away? On my first playthrough he waited quite a while (I even summoned him to help with Gapless). Now I'm without Firelink and I've only just rang the second bell :/

one85x

finalozzo said:
so, an easy way to get 4 sunglith medals?
i'm at level 169.
Probably quickest to just go into the next NG+. You get four free, one for rescuing Lautrec and three from a chest in Anor Londo.

finalozzo said:
so, an easy way to get 4 sunglith medals?
i'm at level 169.

It's hard to say without knowing how far in the game you are. At 169 you probably won't co-op with many. If you still have gargoyles, gaping dragon, S&O, centipede demon, or Gwyn* to beat you can summon Solaire to help and IIRC you get 1 medal from that each time.

If you have not done Anor Londo yet, I believe there is a chest in the room across from the 3rd bonfire with 3-4 medals in it.

You also get one if you chose to free Lautrec from the Undead Parish.

Other than that, at SL 169 if none of those options are available to you just beat Gwyn, go into the next NG+, and take some of the above options.

NOTE: There are strict requirements (check the wiki) for being able to summon him before Gwyn.

Ghost23

Where do I go After Sen's? And can someone please answer my previous question on the last page with Flampt or whatever his name is?

WTF, Lautrec killed my Firelink soul keeper right away? On my first playthrough he waited quite a while (I even summoned him to help with Gapless). Now I'm without Firelink and I've only just rang the second bell :/

He is supposed to do it right after you go to the Depths. There must be another condition because in one game I skipped Depths, and the Firekeeper died, but I'm not sure what the trigger was.

Aeana

Oracle Dragon said:
He is supposed to do it right after you go to the Depths. There must be another condition because in one game I skipped Depths, and the Firekeeper died, but I'm not sure what the trigger was.
I thought the trigger was ringing the second bell. That's what the guide says.

Audioboxer

Oracle Dragon said:

Apparently this got me,

Looting the Firekeeper's Soul in Blighttown will trigger Anastacia's death and Lautrec's disappearance, even if he had not previously escaped; Lautrec will remain at Firelink Shrine until you do so.

:(

Need to rush through to kill the bastard now!

FuzzyNorman said:
Where do I go After Sen's? And can someone please answer my previous question on the last page with Flampt or whatever his name is?

You mean this one?:

FuzzyNorman said:
What covenant is for the serpent person right next to the firelink shrine? I'm talking to him but don't know if I should say yes or no.

Its Kaath, and its the Darkwraiths.

EDIT - Wait that's totally wrong. The one at FireLink Shrine is Frampt, he has no covenant that I am aware of. I suppose it would be either Darkmoon or Princess Guard if it was anything.

After Sens, depends on your gear level. If you have a +10 weapon, or an elemental weapon of +2 or higher, I'd go to Anor Londo (click the ring of light after beating the Sens final boss). If not, go into the forest and clear Hydra, Sif, etc, get some souls, level up some gear.

Goddamn the "matchmaking" in this game is so broken. I've used up all my invasion orbs because of a failure to connect, no one ever touches my summons, and I've only seen two summon signs at all, both of which disappeared as I was running up to them.

Is the patch supposed to fix this bullshit too, or is it just balancing fixing?

linko9

Aeana said:

Yeah, it's wrong. I believe it's in fact defeating the gaping dragon. Many people have reported entering the depths, and returning to firelink to find Lautrec still there.

Thagomizer said:
Goddamn the "matchmaking" in this game is so broken. I've used up all my invasion orbs because of a failure to connect, no one ever touches my summons, and I've only seen two summon signs at all, both of which disappeared as I was running up to them.

Is the patch supposed to fix this bullshit too, or is it just balancing fixing?

Even if it doesn't fix the actual connection problems, it should at least address not using up the item on a connection failure! It should be consumed when you enter the other persons world.

Ghost23

Oracle Dragon said:
You mean this one?:

Its Kaath, and its the Darkwraiths.

After Sens, depends on your gear level. If you have a +10 weapon, or an elemental weapon of +2 or higher, I'd go to Anor Londo (click the ring of light after beating the Sens final boss). If not, go into the forest and clear Hydra, Sif, etc, get some souls, level up some gear.

But I can't trade him my items unless I say yes but I don't want to join the covenant. And I've gotten homing soulmass and soul spear, but I can't find anything to upgrade my spear weapon besides making it divine. What's a good spear upgrade?

Aeana

linko9 said:
Yeah, it's wrong. I believe it's in fact defeating the gaping dragon. Many people have reported entering the depths, and returning to firelink to find Lautrec still there.
I see. Well, she was killed right after I rang the second bell. I used the firekeeper's soul I found in Blighttown with her before I went to kill Quelaag.

Noaloha

Aeana said:
Definitely not the case. I entered Blight through The Depths and took the path back to Firelink at the top of the wheel before going anywhere near the boulder-chucking boys. Dingy Robe lady was dead dead dead. I had picked up the firekeeper's soul near the den of toxic dart dudes in Blight prior to returning up the wheel. Perhaps that's another trigger.

FuzzyNorman said:
But I can't trade him my items unless I say yes but I don't want to join the covenant. And I've gotten homing soulmass and soul spear, but I can't find anything to upgrade my spear weapon besides making it divine. What's a good spear upgrade?

To clarify - This is the guy at Firelink? I think he just asks you if you want to hear about your destiny to which you can say "yes". If he is asking you if you are ready to use the LordVessle, that one has consequences to answer yes/no. But AFAIK he has no covenant and doesn't offer you to join one.

For a weapon, unless you are a faith build (20+ faith) don't bother with divine. It will be good only for catacombs. If you have done the Depths, you should be able to have the Blacksmith upgrade your weapon to +10 which is quite a good level for Anor Londo.

You may also wish to consider going and doing Catacombs as at the bottom you will find another smith who can make Fire weapons for you, provided you found the fire ember. Bring a divine weapon with you if you can it will make it easier.

cnizzle06

Banned
So, I'm at Anor Londo (having a hard time with the white, winged electric creatures) and I'm just wondering will there be an obvious indication when I've reached the point of no return in the story-line?

BaronLundi said:
Thanks man ! I blindly assumed it was 30 for the greater miracle... 10 is a piece of cake, with 9 eyes obtainable for each playthrough.

Marks of reprisal might be a problem because I don't want to farm. I haven't been able to darkmoon invade more than once after about 1 hour of trying (lvl 82 here).

try at the bonfire before firesage fight and anor londo, i got mine there at lvl 80. but they won't come fast.

4 kings and tomb might be better, who knows. i don't like those zones, that's why i didn't try there.

RyanDG

cnizzle06 said:
So, I'm at Anor Londo (having a hard time with the white, winged electric creatures) and I'm just wondering will there be an obvious indication when I've reached the point of no return in the story-line?

Yes. But you got a ways to go.

Ghost23

Oracle Dragon said:
To clarify - This is the guy at Firelink? I think he just asks you if you want to hear about your destiny to which you can say "yes". If he is asking you if you are ready to use the LordVessle, that one has consequences to answer yes/no. But AFAIK he has no covenant and doesn't offer you to join one.

For a weapon, unless you are a faith build (20+ faith) don't bother with divine. It will be good only for catacombs. If you have done the Depths, you should be able to have the Blacksmith upgrade your weapon to +10 which is quite a good level for Anor Londo.

You may also wish to consider going and doing Catacombs as at the bottom you will find another smith who can make Fire weapons for you, provided you found the fire ember. Bring a divine weapon with you if you can it will make it easier.

Thanks for the help, man. I have finished the Depths but the blacksmith at the undead parish doesn't upgrade to +10. It only goes to +6 and raw

cnizzle06 said:

The only real point of no return is just before you enter the fog to the last boss of the game. At Anor Londo you are maybe 50%-60% done the game, still plenty left to go.

FuzzyNorman said:
Thanks for the help, man. I have finished the Depths but the blacksmith at the undead parish doesn't upgrade to +10. It only goes to +6 and raw

Yeah the upgrade system is quite confusing in this one I find. So what you want to do is:

1) Upgrade to +5, via "reinforce weapon". Then it disappears.
2) Choose "modify weapon", and use a large piece to go to +6
3) Go back to "reinforce weapon" and now your +6 appears back on the list and you can take it to +10.

I believe it is this way because ALL weapons go to +5, but then at +5 you can choose to keep going to +10, or switch to divine, fire, etc.

RyanDG

FuzzyNorman said:

Once you modify it to a +6 weapon, you will then be able to reinforce it further from there.

2AdEPT

scy said:
He's deceptively easy when you learn the fight.
Almost all of his attacks are wide attacks that hit basically everywhere around him ... except at super close range. From there, he really can't do much as he twirls around, swinging carelessly over your head. Stick as close as you can and you'll do fine.

O rjust take the
eagle shield upgraded
...with a
ligtning spear
, you can keep your your sheild up the whole time and not lose one bit of damage if your shield is stable enough (not sure how much is necessary but I used a
+10 eagle
I think and wondered if I glitched or something as it seemed like nothing was happening to me when the swings were obviously hitting me....was maybe SL50?

Dresden

Man, can't believe I died to Quelaag in NG+. Was happily chopping away with my axe and then I backflipped into a pool of lava. Lol. Got her the second time.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Aeana said:
I see. Well, she was killed right after I rang the second bell. I used the firekeeper's soul I found in Blighttown with her before I went to kill Quelaag.

Was the Blighttown Firekeeper's Soul your first or second? A few people have surmised that it's getting your second Firekeeper's Soul that triggers
Lautrec killing Anastacia.

I'm not entirely sure what the trigger is other than ringing the second bell, but I do know that on my second playthrough it happened while Quelaag was still alive, but after the Gaping Dragon was long dead.

2AdEPT

linko9 said:
killed her right after returning from killing quelaag both characters...one time i was well into the game beofre ringing, the other time not........seems like it is the bell to me! ;p

edit: haven't touched the depths yet she is dead and rang both bells using the master key, so its nothing to do with gaping or the depths...I guess it could be the firekepeer souls, or maye first two or three bosses?

Aeana

ixix said:
Was the Blighttown Firekeeper's Soul your first or second? A few people have surmised that it's getting your second Firekeeper's Soul that triggers
Lautrec killing Anastacia.

I'm not entirely sure what the trigger is other than ringing the second bell, but I do know that on my second playthrough it happened while Quelaag was still alive, but after the Gaping Dragon was long dead.
It was my second.

scy

Aeana said:

I've tried a lot of things across eight or so characters; should just be whenever you pick up your second Fire Keeper soul, regardless of the source. You can do it with no bosses killed, no bells rung, and with a minimal amount of zones entered.

Typical progress through the game should have it happen around the second bell, though, since there's a soul near each of them.
That and ringing the second bell offs her as well if you haven't picked up two souls; I think this is more of the intended route and the others are just fail-safes implemented to prevent you from getting a +2 or greater Flask before Quelaag, I guess.

2AdEPT

scy said:
I've tried a lot of things across eight or so characters; should just be whenever you pick up your second Fire Keeper soul, regardless of the source. You can do it with no bosses killed, no bells rung, and with a minimal amount of zones entered.

Typical progress through the game should have it happen around the second bell, though, since there's a soul near each of them.
That and ringing the second bell offs her as well if you haven't picked up two souls; I think this is more of the intended route and the others are just fail-safes implemented to prevent you from getting a +2 or greater Flask before Quelaag, I guess.
I think we have a winner...makes total sense with the flasks why they would do it that way and the souls are right near each bell opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom