• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
scy said:
I've tried a lot of things across eight or so characters; should just be whenever you pick up your second Fire Keeper soul, regardless of the source. You can do it with no bosses killed, no bells rung, and with a minimal amount of zones entered.

Typical progress through the game should have it happen around the second bell, though, since there's a soul near each of them.
That and ringing the second bell offs her as well if you haven't picked up two souls; I think this is more of the intended route and the others are just fail-safes implemented to prevent you from getting a +2 or greater Flask before Quelaag, I guess.

Then can you make it happen without ever
meeting Lautrec
? If you immediately grab the soul in New Londo then go straight to Blighttown by way of Valley of Drakes and grab that one you could conceivably trigger the event without so much as setting foot in the Undead Parish.

Aeana

Okay... Lost Izalith just has me straight-up confused. I don't even know how I'm supposed to fight these gigantic things.

scy

ixix said:
Then can you make it happen without ever
meeting Lautrec
? If you immediately grab the soul in New Londo then go straight to Blighttown by way of Valley of Drakes and grab that one you could conceivably trigger the event without so much as setting foot in the Undead Parish.

I just did this on my recent file. The only thing I want to check that I keep forgetting to do is
Undead Parish Soul -> New Londo soul
. I've done pretty much every other permutation and it's resulted in the same thing.

And it's weird that you can do it without
freeing, or even ever seeing, Lautrec
. I'm not sure if
he shows up and then kills her or ... what? I know he WILL free himself no matter what, though. You can't leave him in the cell and progress with the game or else he gets out all on his own anyway. if you just get the two souls, though, I don't know when he gets himself free. I didn't see him after I grabbed the New Londo soul and he wasn't there when I went back after entering Blighttown (but before grabbing the soul) but she was dead after I grabbed the soul and warped back. He works fast, I guess...

Edit:

Aeana said:
Okay... Lost Izalith just has me straight-up confused. I don't even know how I'm supposed to fight these gigantic things.

Fun way: Run through like crazy. These are one of the few enemies that actually hurt each other when they attack so they tend to kill each other off. Aim for safety and hope for the best.

Less fun way: Snipe them over to a spot they can't get into. Bow/Spell them to death. Rinse. Repeat.

I-hate-this-zone-and-everything-it-stands-for way: Give up 30 Humanity to the Chaos Covenant and skip the whole damn thing.

scy

one85x said:
In this video linked a couple pages back, the guy collects the New Londo and Blighttown firekeeper souls right away and Anastacia is still alive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SRuwXZGks

Hm, that's interesting. I'll have to try not using a soul for an upgrade and grabbing both (or dying and warping back without clearing the loot message, though I'm banking more on the former). She's
definitely dead on my file, New Londo -> +1 Flask -> Blighttown route.

Aeana

scy said:
I just did this on my recent file. The only thing I want to check that I keep forgetting to do is
Undead Parish Soul -> New Londo soul
. I've done pretty much every other permutation and it's resulted in the same thing.

And it's weird that you can do it without
freeing, or even ever seeing, Lautrec
. I'm not sure if
he shows up and then kills her or ... what? I know he WILL free himself no matter what, though. You can't leave him in the cell and progress with the game or else he gets out all on his own anyway. if you just get the two souls, though, I don't know when he gets himself free. I didn't see him after I grabbed the New Londo soul and he wasn't there when I went back after entering Blighttown (but before grabbing the soul) but she was dead after I grabbed the soul and warped back. He works fast, I guess...

Edit:

Fun way: Run through like crazy. These are one of the few enemies that actually hurt each other when they attack so they tend to kill each other off. Aim for safety and hope for the best.

Less fun way: Snipe them over to a spot they can't get into. Bow/Spell them to death. Rinse. Repeat.

I-hate-this-zone-and-everything-it-stands-for way: Give up 30 Humanity to the Chaos Covenant and skip the whole damn thing.
Which is the chaos covenant?

scy

Aeana said:
Which is the chaos covenant?

There's a hidden wall after
Quelaag, down the stairs from the bell. Hit it, talk to the egged Hollow and say Yes, and then talk to the White Lady. She's the Covenant NPC and you give up Humanity from the HUD to her. Joining gets you Great Chaos Fireball, giving up 10 Humanity ranks you up with no gain, and then 20 more Humanity gets you Chaos Storm and access to the shortcut from Demon Ruins (to the right of the fog gate leading to the Demon Firesage) to Lost Izalith (right before the Prowler Demon; more-or-less follow the path to the boss after it)

Doomrider

Aeana said:

Let them kill each other. They don't respawn, so my strategy was basically run around, gather a few of them, try to evade and attack as much as possible and they did the rest. I did die a lot, though...

Wait. That's not a strategy at all, is it.

Aeana

Doomrider said:
Let them kill each other. They don't respawn, so my strategy was basically run around, gather a few of them, try to evade and attack as much as possible and they did the rest. I did die a lot, though...

Wait. That's not a strategy at all, is it.
Ohh, they don't? Okay, this area got a whole lot more manageable.

vpance

So when's the damn patch coming out?? I kind of stopped playing for a bit because I'm interested to see the stat rebalancing, multiplayer fixes and etc, and maybe get a better experience in the last half of the game. Well that, and I didn't wanna get so burnt out on it.

EasyMode

tokkun said:
So when I'm ready to beat the game should I go around murdering all the NPCs for their gear?
I've been wondering this too. Since there's no character tendency like in Demon's Souls, I'm not seeing any downside... besides being a dick that is.

tokkun said:
So when I'm ready to beat the game should I go around murdering all the NPCs for their gear?

it's up to you. i only killed the
first merchant for the uchi one time. petrus and rhea to see if anything changes in their story. you can rack up some humanity, but i usually don't kill npcs if i don't have to.

tokkun said:

I did.

Edit: note about Anor Londo:
if you want the firekeeper soul from the firekeeper there, kill her before killing Gwynevere

Mindlog

Still chugging along. Buying almmost everything I come across paid off again. Thank you headlamp in the the Tomb of Giants.

One question as I may have missed a key story point.
Why are there so many dead babies? @_@ On the upside of things after 20 minutes of swinging my Halberd around I now have enough humanity to last the rest of the game.
Farming rats for humanity is crap. So is matchmaking...

I hope I can play some more tomorrow. I believe I have everything I need to tackle the final few areas. The only thing that could possibly use an upgrade is my stone armor/helm, but I am having trouble finding gear with a better poise/protection balance.

Beats

vpance said:
So when's the damn patch coming out?? I kind of stopped playing for a bit because I'm interested to see the stat rebalancing, multiplayer fixes and etc

Yeah I'm wondering about this too. I'm hoping it's still by the end of this month but there's only a few days left.

Insaniac

alright so I joined the darkmoon covenant. How does the invasion via ring work, do I just equip it and wait? Also what are the restrictions invading via blue orb / ring? I'm a pretty high level not in NG+ and I haven't had any success

Also, goddamn catacombs cost me 70 humanity because I wanted so badly to get those items that you need to roll onto tiny ledges to get. all for a green titanite o_O

prodystopian said:
I did.

Edit: note about Anor Londo:
if you want the firekeeper soul from the firekeeper there, kill her before killing Gwynevere

I'm pretty sure I got her after that. In fact that's what made her hostile. She disappears from the bonfire area, but you can find her over by the rotating bridge. I can't promise it, but I'm fairly certain I got a firekeeper soul when I killed her there (she attacked me). Im doing a NG+ now I'll try it again and see if it's true.

tokkun said:

EasyMode said:
I've been wondering this too. Since there's no character tendency like in Demon's Souls, I'm not seeing any downside... besides being a dick that is.

I think a lot of them go hollow anyways? Certainly there was no one left at Firelink by the end of my game, the priestess had disapeared from undead parish. Big Hat was hollow back at Dukes Archives.

Aeana

I am finding it impossible to get to the left orb in the Bed of Chaos fight. I feel like taking out the right one first was a mistake. :|

Wallachia

See You Next Wednesday said:
If I join the cat convent, will all those human enemies stop attacking me?

What about those big cats later on in the level do they stop attacking you as well?

Yes th guys will stop, but not the cats. Be careful not to harm those guys.. and any other partners that you play with in that covenant.

Clott

I just beat blight town and the following boss, I have already killed the butterfly. SHould I go to new Londo or continue in the depths?

I just want the firelink shrine to be working again!

Guys what are the best armor sets to upgrade using twinkling titanite? I dont want to waste my titanite on set that end up being weaker than others :S

x3r0123

Clott said:
I just beat blight town and the following boss, I have already killed the butterfly. SHould I go to new Londo or continue in the depths?

I just want the firelink shrine to be working again!

you need to ring the bells and go to anor londo

Facism

Four Kings in NG+ was a massive pain in the ass. I had to abuse the Large Magic shield glitch to get close, followed by Iron Skin, chaos-fireball and crystal homing soulmass spam and recasts of iron skin.

Bring on ng++

x3r0123

Facism said:
Four Kings in NG+ was a massive pain in the ass. I had to abuse the Large Magic shield glitch to get close, followed by Iron Skin, chaos-fireball and crystal homing soulmass spam and recasts of iron skin.

Bring on ng++

what is this magic shield glitch you speak of?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Aeana said:
I am finding it impossible to get to the left orb in the Bed of Chaos fight. I feel like taking out the right one first was a mistake. :|

Quick way to do this fight, as soon as you get there run and get the one on the right, quit game reload, it will start back at fog, slide down go to left but stick to the wall, when the floor falls out stop and start chucking arrows at the 2nd orb. It shouldn't take to many arrows to break all the branches. Run back to center slightly off the the right and jump! Roll Roll stabbey all done

Aeana

Warnen said:
Quick way to do this fight, as soon as you get there run and get the one on the right, quit game reload, it will start back at fog, slide down go to left but stick to the wall, when the floor falls out stop and start chucking arrows at the 2nd orb. It shouldn't take to many arrows to break all the branches. Run back to center slightly off the the right and jump! Roll Roll stabbey all done
Bless you. I never would have thought of arrows since I only used them to get the drake sword at the start.

Aeana said:

No, it was the right thing to do. This is a frustrating fight. If you want to cheeze it:

EZ-MODE:

1) Take out the right side on foot. As soon as the bubble fails, quit the game and reload. You will be back at the middle.

2) Stay where you are, Use a bow to take out the left side. You do it in this order because you can't see the right side from the middle, but you have a shot at the left.

3) Once down, run for the middle! ROLL off the edge on to the tree branch, not jump.

sleepykyo

x3r0123 said:
what is this magic shield glitch you speak of?

Wtih great magic shield when you get hit the damage is negated. The animation happens and anything that will knock you down or interrupt will still do it, but you don't actually take any damage. Fatal falls are still fatal.

Wallachia said:
Yes th guys will stop, but not the cats. Be careful not to harm those guys.. and any other partners that you play with in that covenant.

I hate those cats! Do they drop anything? I killed them a bunch, but got nothing.

So are there any good weapons specifically for sorcerers? And is the Gold Flecked Armor the best for them? Also, where do I find a better catalyst than sorc/tin?

Oracle Dragon said:
I'm pretty sure I got her after that. In fact that's what made her hostile. She disappears from the bonfire area, but you can find her over by the rotating bridge. I can't promise it, but I'm fairly certain I got a firekeeper soul when I killed her there (she attacked me). Im doing a NG+ now I'll try it again and see if it's true.

That's possible. I didn't look very hard. She just wasn't in the same spot.

24FrameDaVinci said:
So are there any good weapons specifically for sorcerers? And is the Gold Flecked Armor the best for them? Also, where do I find a better catalyst than sorc/tin?

Tin banishment Catalyst?
Let me think.

You can get Beatrice's after you finish 4 kings (it spawns on a body near the gate between valley of drakes and new londo).

The're the White Branch which has a magic adjust of 180 or so without scaling, so it's great until you have your INT stacked. That's bought from Dusk of Oolacile after taking out the Hydra and rescuing her in Darkroot Basin.

You can get Logan's (my default) and the Tin Crystalization catalyst after finishing Seath and the Archives.

There's the Tin Darkmoon catalyst, which scales with FAITH instead of INT... that's upgraded any catalyst with soul of Gwyndolin.

prodystopian said:
That's possible. I didn't look very hard. She just wasn't in the same spot.

If you kill Gywndolin first and leave Gwynevere, she will stay at the bonfire "anor londo" and become hostile the next time you enter.

If you kill Gwynevere before killing Gwyndolin, the attacks you on the way out of the great hall going back to the twisting bridge.

tokkun

Oracle Dragon said:
I think a lot of them go hollow anyways? Certainly there was no one left at Firelink by the end of my game, the priestess had disapeared from undead parish. Big Hat was hollow back at Dukes Archives.

Patches
Petrus
The blacksmiths
Gwynevere/Gwyndolin
Darkmoon Firekeeper
Velka's Priest
New Londo dude
Eiyingi & Spidergirl
Quelana
Undead Merchant
Sen's Fortress Merchant
Sitting on the bridge Merchant
Shiva + Bodyguard
Solaire

d0c_zaius

Aeana said:
Ohh, they don't? Okay, this area got a whole lot more manageable.

I actually leveled up bows just for this area. Arrows make those fights easy once you kite them to places they can get through. It takes a little patience, but with their wacky hitboxes I didnt want to take any chances.

You can also arrow a bunch just once, then have them hit each other as they try to attack you.

MoxManiac

EasyMode said:

I think it increases your sin so it might make you more susceptible to being invaded by darkmoon players.

Clott said:
Is that past new londo and the ghosts? or just keep heading past blight town and lava place?

When you beat Blighttown
and ring the second bell, you open up Sen's Fortress. When you finish this, you will be taken to Anor Londo. You can advance a bit further in New Londo and Demon's Ruins (lava place), but you will be blocked off and have to return to beat Anor Londo anyway to move forward in the game

EasyMode

I can't get the invader in the
Painted World
to appear. I'm in human form and haven't beaten or even met the boss, so what gives? Has anyone else had trouble with this?

EasyMode said:
I can't get the invader in the
Painted World
to appear. I'm in human form and haven't beaten or even met the boss, so what gives? Has anyone else had trouble with this?

Are you going to the edge of the graveyard cliff where the body is then heading back into the courtyard while in human form?

mjc

So I was in Firelink and I decided to kill
Lautrec before he got to the firekeeper. Was this a wise move?

Loving this game despite the cheap BS that Demon's Souls didn't have.

Moonlight Sword (I refuse to call that sword "Large Sword of Moonlight" OR "Moonlight Greatsword", From Soft) is an absolute beast of a weapon in this game, my god. This is the best version of the thing since the King's Field II version. Pure INT/Sorcery build in general is really good in this game unlike Demon's Souls, but that thing just puts it over the top. I went into NG+ Smough/Ornstein and just steamrolled them like they were Old Hero with a Thief Ring on. XD

Just beat
Gaping Dragon...
by far the easiest boss so far. Some of the regular enemies (FUCK YOU HAVEL) were harder. I only died twice, once to his charge when I got greedy after a slam and another because he backed me into a corner before I realized it. Never even hit me the third time.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seath is a pushover unless you go for his tail, then he gets kinda dickish.

just keep him near the middle of the room and strafe around him, but never try to go past his arms/side-tentacles. Provided you have solid mid distance damage (crystal ring shield minces him) he wont do a damn thing. However if you try to get round his back he'll flail you, which really hurts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom