• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntown

Banned
BeeDog said:
I only have the last boss left, so it's not an option right now. :(
Oh man that sucks because that would mean you would have to start all over in a New Game. You could still get it fairly quickly but then you would need to join the warriors again.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I am annoyed that I gave the Lordvessel to frampt instead of joining the Darkwraith.

I so wish I read about it earlier :(

(Right at the end of my first play through just doing everything I can my first go around.)

Aguirre

having accessed the first two bells, and rung them, is it normal i'm still using the drake sword?

i just cant seem to find any decent weapons, and upgrading is kinda out the window.

Dresden

Aguirre said:
having accessed the first two bells, and rung them, is it normal i'm still using the drake sword?

i just cant seem to find any decent weapons, and upgrading is kinda out the window.
Don't worry, the game tosses you a lightning weapon in the next dungeon.

scy

Beats said:
I think that they meant for you to go to the Catacombs shortly after the Gargoyle fight.

Rhea, and her friends visit Petrus once you return to Firelink after defeating the Gargoyles. They talk about going to the Catacombs for some mission if you talk to them enough. The crestfallen warrior also tells you about them going off to "pillage graves" which is a hint that they are likely going to the Catacombs. Also if you saved Griggs of Vinheim he'll tell you that they went to the Catacombs to seek Kindling.

At this point you can go ahead save Rhea in the Tomb of the Giants. When you return to Firelink Shrine after saving her the crestfallen warrior will tell you that she went to the church. Though if you don't save her Lautrec will tell you what happened to the band of clerics for some souls, and how Petrus left her alone to die. Petrus then tells you that she "slipped" down into a hole turning her companions hollow, leaving her helpless, and that you can do whatever you want with her at this point.

There is some story surrounding it, but they never force you to go there I guess until later. So yeah, it's likely that Pinwheel was meant to be an early boss.

I should have worded it better. I more meant along the lines of did they expect people to actually go there early. It's a pretty terrible area for souls and the loot from it isn't that great. But the events around the place all happen early on as you describe so ... it's clearly intended for that part of the game. Just it doesn't seem to get that many people to go through it early; the lack of souls on like 90% of the kills doesn't help it much, really, I wager.

BeeDog

rayner said:
If you start an new game doesn't Solatire give you one when you meet him? If you're going for the 100% you need to get to the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo in NG++ anyway.

Solaire is bugged in NG+, and I honestly can't recall if he gives it to you when you meet him a second time. I figured I'd grab the medal and get the miracle before I go for NG++. Ah well, Lautrec gives one if you save him anyway.

johntown

Banned
BeeDog said:
Solaire is bugged in NG+, and I honestly can't recall if he gives it to you when you meet him a second time. I figured I'd grab the medal and get the miracle before I go for NG++. Ah well, Lautrec gives one if you save him anyway.
If you can wait until later tonight or the weekend I am sure many more people will be playing and your chances of getting summoned will go up a lot.

Macattk15

finalozzo said:
where can i find the spell power within?
and where are the 3 sunlight medals in anor londo?

For the spell, its behind that octopus / squid thing stuck to the wall in Blighttown. Pretty much in the middle of the map ... halfway up the wall ... takes some leaping from platforms to get to. Real annoying.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's kind of bugging me how the Fury Sword is a little slow. The R2 attack is glacial, and the R1 attack sometimes doesn't chain too quickly, so sometimes I have people recovering mid-chain, blocking, and then fighting back while I am mashing R1.

Giard

Question about the Black Eye Orb...
Did I really have only one try at this? It doesn't seem to react any more at the Anor Londo "arena".

EasyMode

Giard said:
Question about the Black Eye Orb...
Did I really have only one try at this? It doesn't seem to react any more at the Anor Londo "arena".
Go ahead and use it, the message only comes up once. It took me two tries.

Sullichin

Aguirre said:
yesssss

wait, what is the next dungeon!?

don't be like me and die right when you kill the
mimic chest that drops the lightning spear
, because you won't be able to get it again. Sen's (after the bonfire) is also a good place to farm titanite to upgrade your weapons.

I revisited darkroot because I haven't spent much time there, killed one of the hydras. I fell into the deep water it was residing in and died, didn't feel like going all the way back there, went to demon's ruins instead. got my ass handed to me by ceaseless discharge. I do alright damage to him when I can hit him, but he destroys me pretty quickly. Can't wait to go home and destroy him.

Xanathus

Akuun said:
It's kind of bugging me how the Fury Sword is a little slow. The R2 attack is glacial, and the R1 attack sometimes doesn't chain too quickly, so sometimes I have people recovering mid-chain, blocking, and then fighting back while I am mashing R1.
Fury Sword isn't a particularly good weapon in serious PVP because it actually has much less damage than an equivalent +10 Fire/Lightning scimitar (which has essentially the same movesets).

Akuun

Oh, when I say "people" I mean monsters - I'm still going through the main game and I haven't touched PvP yet. I've never been invaded, probably because I'm still Way of White and almost always hollow.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sullichin said:
don't be like me and die right when you kill the
mimic chest that drops the lightning spear
, because you won't be able to get it again. Sen's (after the bonfire) is also a good place to farm titanite to upgrade your weapons.

I revisited darkroot because I haven't spent much time there, killed one of the hydras. I fell into the deep water it was residing in and died, didn't feel like going all the way back there, went to demon's ruins instead. got my ass handed to me by ceaseless discharge. I do alright damage to him when I can hit him, but he destroys me pretty quickly. Can't wait to go home and destroy him.
There's something you should know about our old friend Cease L Discharge.

Just beat the last boss. Was annoying at first but took some GAF recommendations and went with Iron Flesh + Parry which made him a piece of cake.

Loved the game but felt like everything after Arnor Londo was weaker than the first half of the game. Didn't mind the Crystal Caves or even Tomb of Giants, but Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith were terrible.

Anyway, is there a guide or FAQs around somewhere that goes over the story? Don't know if my ending was good or bad.

scy

TommyT said:
There was a video someone posted yesterday of someone getting a lot of good loot within 10 minutes at the beginning of the game. He ran and got 2 Fire Keep Souls and the bonfire was still lit.

I know it's an 'old' reply for the speed of this thread, but just throwing that out there.

Yeah, I saw that and it was right after my recent file did that exact same start with the result I mentioned; I spent last night just running characters through the start environment and could
get Anastacia to be alive after New Londo -> Blighttown almost all the time; I only had the occasional "lol dead!" so I'm not sure what I did differently on those ones. Looks like the trigger SHOULD be getting the second of the bell area Fire Keeper souls so the New Londo one can be obtained with her living. I did a run that went New Londo -> Blighttown and then went to the Parish without grabbing the soul and she was still alive. Even freed Lautrec with no repercussions until I grabbed the soul.

Edit: lol~ timing!

IrishNinja said:
do your sunlight medals not carry over? or is it just your current ranking you dont wanna lose?

medals are easily gonna be the worst part of platting for me, i think. also, i'm using this list for Knight's Honor from now on, so i don't go getting shit i dont need.

About the Greatsword of Artorias, there are two of them, one of them is the cursed version, right?
Is the cursed version one you need to ascend either:
Broken Sword
Broken Hilt
to get?

test_account said:
No idea :) I just need some spell that can take out a lot around me for beating
Nito
. I almost made it earlier with Crystal Soul Mass, but those damn orbs keep shooting at the skeletons instead, eventhough that i'm locked on the boss. So annyoing :(

Get a divine or a occult weapon for beating on the skeletons first. Otherwise, they'll just keep getting back up.

johntown said:
An optional boss that is a pain in the ass.

and a special NPC

He's only optional in the sense that Acullis chose the master key.

See You Next Wednesday said:
About the Greatsword of Artorias, there are two of them, one of them is the cursed version, right?
Is the cursed version one you need to ascend either:
Broken Sword
Broken Hilt
to get?

I think the cursed version is the one you get from any sword.
I think the non-cursed version is the one you get from broken sword or hilt.

Dresden said:
It's like the third best shield in the game when it comes to stability. >.>

He meant the crystal ring shield's stability, I think. Crystal ring shield sucks for anything other than blocking.
Move your eagle shield to +11.

BeeDog said:

are you a warrior of sunlight right now? just finish the game then and get the medal from lautrec in ng+. your covenant will carry over and you can turn in the medals as planned.

Xanathus said:
Platinum Get! I can't believe that my trophy farming planning went down the drain because I missed Velka's Rapier...

congrats! how many hours?

BeeDog

Sullichin said:
Should I change my eagle shield into the crystal ring shield? Seems to have shit stability...

No, you only use the Crystal shield when you want to cheese enemies. The Eagle Shield is fuck-awesome.

Akuun

Sullichin said:
Should I change my eagle shield into the crystal ring shield? Seems to have shit stability...
Keep them both. Crystal ring shield is not really used the same way as conventional shields because it fires light rings with L2. It's meant for offense rather than defense. Use the eagle shield if you need to block, but use the crystal ring shield to catch people if they're at a distance and don't have a shield up.

scy

Sullichin said:

Just use a shitty trash shield you don't want; none of the attributes of the item used in the forging carries over to Boss Soul weapons.

Sullichin

Akuun said:
Keep them both. Crystal ring shield is not really used the same way as conventional shields because it fires light rings with L2. It's meant for offense rather than defense. Use the eagle shield if you need to block, but use the crystal ring shield to catch people if they're at a distance and don't have a shield up.

BeeDog said:
No, you only use the Crystal shield when you want to cheese enemies. The Eagle Shield is fuck-awesome.

scy said:
Just use a shitty trash shield you don't want; none of the attributes of the item used in the forging carries over to Boss Soul weapons.

thanks. definitely keeping my eagle shield. i'll ascend another shield to that just to check out the attack, sounds cool.

scy

Sullichin said:
thanks. definitely keeping my eagle shield. i'll ascend another shield to that just to check out the attack, sounds cool.

Captain America shield usefulness scales directly with how awesome you find shield throwing.

Akuun

Is there a way to speed up the ring cast on the crystal ring shield? I get hit out of the startup animation a lot.

Sir Garbageman said:
So what's the deal with Gywndolin and Gywnevere?

Gwyndolin is the son of Lord Gywn. He is the current caretaker of Anor Londo, and the leader of one of the secret covenants in the game, the Darkmoon Covenant. Gywnevere is presumably Gywn's wife/daughter (someone fact check me on that one) but is not really there, she's an illusion made by Gywndolin to keep the image of the great city alive. She has 1HP and if you strike her, the entire city goes into darkness, and Gywndolin and his nights become hostile towards you (and you can no longer join his covenant). According to the lore written on some items attributed to her, she is actually alive, off flirting with gods somewhere far away.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
sersteven said:
Gwyndolin is the son of Lord Gywn. He is the current caretaker of Anor Londo, and the leader of one of the secret covenants in the game, the Darkmoon Covenant. Gywnevere is presumably Gywn's wife/daughter (someone fact check me on that one) but is not really there, she's an illusion made by Gywndolin to keep the image of the great city alive. She has 1HP and if you strike her, the entire city goes into darkness, and Gywndolin and his nights become hostile towards you (and you can no longer join his covenant). According to the lore written on some items attributed to her, she is actually alive, off flirting with gods somewhere far away.
Whoa. I need a see a video of this.

Going for some trophies now, seems a few of the covenants will have to wait until NG+

I got my Iaito to +5 along with the lightning trophy. Going to need a shit ton of souls to get all the different upgrade paths maxed out as well as the sorceries / miracles that I'm missing.

I wish someone would summon me

Totalriot said:
Your invincible for the whole duration. Combine this with the ring who increases the duration of the spells and the one who increases the number of casts (who cares if your HP is halved when you're not going to get hit) and you're good to go.

Completely forgot about those rings >:)

sleepykyo

sersteven said:

Daughter of Gywn

Xanathus

See You Next Wednesday said:
Completely forgot about those rings >:)
It isn't really a good idea to use that spell duration ring with G. Magic Shield since there's a high chance you'll get killed if you're in the middle of kamikaze combat when the spell runs out. There isn't any indicator to show when it's about to run out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom