• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

Soulhouf said:
The scaling system is completely broken in this game. For some reason the composite bow (C str, C dex) is better than the black bow despite the S dex scaling.
I hope that From will fix that.

wow, that's...weird. i guess i should try beefing up the other bows, then, only had my dark at +10 so far anyway.

Zzoram said:
Supposedly they tweeted in Japanese saying they were working on a fix to scaling weapons and some PvP issues.

kinda hope to see that, with all the fog ring/stone sword bitching and all (ive not run into it personally just yet, just fog itself or whatever keeps you from being able to lock onto people). still, proper scaling would be cool.

maomaoIYP said:
I have a dex build. The longbow beats it.

yeah? by a significant amount, or what? consider me shopping around for a new bow, then. composite's in the running now too, apparently.

Zzoram

Logan's catalyst has S scaling and Sorcerer's catalyst only has A scaling but Logan's doesn't match Sorcerer's damage until 48 INT and only surpasses it once you hit 49 INT.

Maybe that's what's going on with the Longbow vs Black Bow.

coldvein said:
i'm pretty much the opposite of a framerate snob, but this game has some glaringly chuggy parts. even just running around the firelink shrine, shit is chugging. nothing is even happening. what the fuck, man.
Yeah it's bad. The game feels like it practically stopped at points when I was really close to a big enemy in areas with an already poor frame rate like Lost Izalith.

Still playable but it has some extremely rough spots.

maomaoIYP

IrishNinja said:
wow, that's...weird. i guess i should try beefing up the other bows, then, only had my dark at +10 so far anyway.

kinda hope to see that, with all the fog ring/stone sword bitching and all (ive not run into it personally just yet, just fog itself or whatever keeps you from being able to lock onto people). still, proper scaling would be cool.

yeah? by a significant amount, or what? consider me shopping around for a new bow, then. composite's in the running now too, apparently.

At STR 24, DEX 44, Longbow beats it by about 10 damage. Maybe in long run when your DEX hits an absurd level it will be worth it, but think of all the VIT or END you could be gaining in the meantime.

At the same amount of STR and DEX, the darkmoon bow beats both in terms of pure numbers, has the same range as the longbow, and fires faster than the longbow.

Ill Saint

Can't say the framerate has bothered me at all. It is bad at times in Blighttown, but never to the detriment of gameplay (at least not for me). Outside of that, no other areas have been problematic. No issues in Lost Izalith, but maybe that's because I took out the dragon arses relatively quickly.

Soulhouf

Zzoram said:
Logan's catalyst has S scaling and Sorcerer's catalyst only has A scaling but Logan's doesn't match Sorcerer's damage until 48 INT and only surpasses it once you hit 49 INT.

Maybe that's what's going on with the Longbow vs Black Bow.
I have 50 dex and still the long bow and composite bow beat the black bow.

burgerdog

I decide to help out with S&O before bed and got summoned by a Japanese player. We head towards the boss room, completely ignoring the fact that Anor Londo is dark. It's a bit late so it took me a few mins to realize I joined a pvp-fest. After killing about 15 phantoms the host runs into the blacksmith room and kills the npc. So.Random.

Is his Anor Londo blacksmith gone forever in that play through?

Forgot to add that between forest pvp yesterday and Anor londo pvp today I've gotten about 500k souls in 1h30m. It's probably possible to farm more in less time, but I doubt it is this fun.

IrishNinja

maomaoIYP said:
At STR 24, DEX 44, Longbow beats it by about 10 damage. Maybe in long run when your DEX hits an absurd level it will be worth it, but think of all the VIT or END you could be gaining in the meantime.

At the same amount of STR and DEX, the darkmoon bow beats both in terms of pure numbers, has the same range as the longbow, and fires faster than the longbow.

see, this always confuses me - the wiki says its not getting anything from reinforcing it, is that an error or am i missing something? i know there's gotta be other factors, like when my iaito was higher str than my drake but the latter hit harder. even magic arrows dont do nearly as much damage for me as just about every other kind.

Soulhouf said:
I have 50 dex and still the long bow and composite bow beat the black bow.

damn. think i used one to make the dark moon, but i might just buy it back, build up all 3 and see which one does the best #s for me.

maomaoIYP

IrishNinja said:
see, this always confuses me - the wiki says its not getting anything from reinforcing it, is that an error or am i missing something? i know there's gotta be other factors, like when my iaito was higher str than my drake but the latter hit harder. even magic arrows dont do nearly as much damage for me as just about every other kind.

damn. think i used one to make the dark moon, but i might just buy it back, build up all 3 and see which one does the best #s for me.

That page is incomplete. Upgrading it boosts it's base damage, I don't think there is a single weapon that does not benefit from upgrading.

Insaniac

Uggghhh. I'm absolutely devastated I can't crystal-weapon enchant my +5 ghost blade. Can weapons upgraded via twinkling titanite be ascended or anything?

Beyond pissed, fell off the short ridge that gets you to the bonfire in Undead Burg and when I re-spawned only about 10 feet from where I died there was no resurrection aura. 10,000 souls and 4 humanity down the fucking drain, Goodnight.

linko9

Insaniac said:
Uggghhh. I'm absolutely devastated I can't crystal-weapon enchant my +5 ghost blade. Can weapons upgraded via twinkling titanite be ascended or anything?

I'm pretty sure none of them can.

Edit: Oh, sorry I misread your question. None of them can be ascended, 100% sure about that; I though you were asking if they could be enchanted.

2AdEPT said:
stability--its the only stat that counts for shields. It enables the shield to absorb the shock of the blows so that your endurance runs out less with more stability.

And of course they made the baller Dark Hand have wack Stability so you can't just go around like a boss with a force field and have to use some lame Hollow shield instead. XD

Well, I just used Dark Hand anyway. I roll to avoid most stuff since I'm not playing a tank right now.

Xanathus

finalozzo said:
where can i find the spell power within?
and where are the 3 sunlight medals in anor londo?
If only there was some sort of wiki where one could read to answer these questions. Guess we'll never know.

dock

A lot of people are talking about a patch. Is there something broken in particular with Dark Souls at the moment?

I'm having a couple of weeks without Dark Souls because my replacement PS3 doesn't arrive until 9th September.

linko9

Phat Michael said:
just killed gravelord nito....am i supposed to warp out now? dont ever wanna come back down here again if i dont have to.

You can warp back to that bonfire any time you want. The only thing there is
the paladin armor if you killed Paladin Leeroy

dock said:
A lot of people are talking about a patch. Is there something broken in particular with Dark Souls at the moment?
Scaling is off, multiplayer is a bit screwy, there are some glitches (infinite souls/items glitch, and some issues with certain items in pvp (fog ring)...

linko9

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Scaling is off, multiplayer is a bit screwy, there are some glitches (infinite souls/items glitch, and some issues with certain items in pvp (fog ring)...

There's no intention to change the fog ring as far as I know. The patch plans to fix the issues with the spell "Tranquil Walk of Peace," but the fog ring functions exactly as intended.

linko9 said:
You can warp back to that bonfire any time you want. The only thing there is
the paladin armor if you killed Paladin Leeroy

ah cheers mate. btw is it time for new londo ruins now? is that the next place?

when I'm in human form, carrying humanity and souls, and get invaded.... as long as I can get back to my remains after dying the only thing I lose is my human form correct? I know that's true for regular play but is it for PVP also? I want to get invaded in the forest tonight but don't want to risk permanently losing 30+ humanity if I die (which I will).

Eusis

DigitalDevil said:
when I'm in human form, carrying humanity and souls, and get invaded.... as long as I can get back to my remains after dying the only thing I lose is my human form correct? I know that's true for regular play but is it for PVP also? I want to get invaded in the forest tonight but don't want to risk permanently losing 30+ humanity if I die (which I will).
Correct, though there's a great grinding spot in one of the endgame areas for humanity items to make even a loss that big a relative non-issue.

Ourobolus

Banned
Sweet, took out Gaping Dragon without getting hit - a nice change of pace from the last two bosses. I think I'll do some more fiddling around in the depths (I want some Titanite) and then maybe try to take out that armored bastard back in the stairwell in the Undead Burg, then head on down the Firelink elevator to Blighttown.

Eusis said:
Correct, though there's a great grinding spot in one of the endgame areas for humanity items to make even a loss that big a relative non-issue.

the baby skellies right? I've read about it many times on here

damn, decided to visit the covenant part of the forest in human form last night... invade invade invade invade :D so much fun. something like 15-20 players invaded me and i beat all of them just two-handing my uchi +10 and blasting some great combustion in their faces, hah! twice i had to fight 1 vs 2 and they almost got me but by some incredible stroke of luck i always managed to heal and survive. man my heart was pounding and hands shaking, so awesome.

anyone want to be summoned to fight the invaders later today or tomorrow? i'm lvl 38. we would do fair fights, wait until there's 2 invaders until we chase them, so it's 2 vs 2. unless someone invades with a fog ring, then we just crush him.

Totalriot

Phat Michael said:
ah cheers mate. btw is it time for new londo ruins now? is that the next place?

Either that, Lost Izalith beneath the Demon Ruins or Duke's Archives behind Anor Londo. The Archives are fun, too bad the Crystal Caves really suck.

UrbanRats

Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith are, by far, the worst places in the game.. such terrible and lazy gamedesign, goddamn.
I am NEVER going back there.

johntown

Banned
Wow I never really knew how overpowered strong magic shield was until I used it for the last boss fight. I was getting killed in like two hits then I used strong magic shield and I did not take a hit.

I felt really cheap and it was the first time I used it throughout the game.

Does anyone know if you are summoned for the Four Kings if you have to use the abyss ring or can you use two other rings?

Finalow

Xanathus said:
If only there was some sort of wiki where one could read to answer these questions. Guess we'll never know.
if i can find the answer on the wiki i don't ask here. :<
Power Within - Blighttown (Underneath the BIG parasite thing), yeah but WHERE.

Zzoram

johntown said:
Wow I never really knew how overpowered strong magic shield was until I used it for the last boss fight. I was getting killed in like two hits then I used strong magic shield and I did not take a hit.

I felt really cheap and it was the first time I used it throughout the game.

Does anyone know if you are summoned for the Four Kings if you have to use the abyss ring or can you use two other rings?

Strong Magic Shield isn't supposed to work like that, it's a bug. It's just supposed to make your shield 100% block everything, but the bug is that it blocks 100% everything even if you don't block.

Zzoram

finalozzo said:
if i can find the answer on the wiki i don't ask here.
Power Within - Blighttown (Underneath the BIG parasite thing), yeah but WHERE.

On your way down from The Depths, you should see a giant slug thing hanging off a wall to the right. Drop down towards it, kill it, spell is an item underneath it.

I think it was near the bonfire, can't remember if it was before or after.

johntown

Banned
Zzoram said:
Strong Magic Shield isn't supposed to work like that, it's a bug. It's just supposed to make your shield 100% block everything, but the bug is that it blocks 100% everything even if you don't block.
Ah ha that makes a lot more sense now of why people are complaining about it in PVP. Does it block all magic too?

Totalriot

johntown said:
Ah ha that makes a lot more sense now of why people are complaining about it in PVP. Does it block all magic too?

Your invincible for the whole duration. Combine this with the ring who increases the duration of the spells and the one who increases the number of casts (who cares if your HP is halved when you're not going to get hit) and you're good to go.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Cool story bro time:
Holy shit, got invaded while coming back from painted world with 100k souls and 3 humanity (biggest loot I've amassed in the game), it's been one of the scariest videogame moments I can remember (I think it was a player, but may've been an npc?). I was already sweating thinking about sneaking past all those enemies with no bonfire in sight (white light barrier up to the fire keeper bonfire, not having really explored anor londo I didn't knew my way around). Getting invaded sent me on panic mode. Painting -> contraction doesn't work, homeward bones and other shit don't work (great moment to discover this), what the fuck should I do?. I ran like there was no tomorrow through all the white assassins without knowing where the black phantom was, to where all the white soapstone signs usually are (after the white light wall) desperately trying to look for someone to summon and help me. Though luck, nobody around. Equiped the ring that mutes your footsteps and hided somewhere, I could hear the guy running around. Went up to the ceiling of the temple and the dude found me, but he slipped trying to catch up and falled all the way down, insta death.
Fuck, that was intense. Felt totally like one of those nightmares where you're being hunted by something in a weird city/enviroment you don't know. The emptiness of Anor Londo felt really haunting when I was looking for a place to hide. This game is awesome.

Am I alone in thinking being able to attune multiple copies of the same spell is a recipe for cheap? I felt bad having 6 wrath of the gods-- can't imagine having 9, or 12.

UrbanRats said:
Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith are, by far, the worst places in the game.. such terrible and lazy gamedesign, goddamn.
I am NEVER going back there.

Yeah it's surprisingly bad - the covenant shortcut helps a lot though. The boss in Izalith is absolutely horrible, cheap, and a geometrical mess. After playing Uncharted 3, Dark Soul's polygonal footwork is awful by comparison.

Now D. God in Demon's Souls was really sweet - they should have carbon copied that encounter.

DKnight said:
Cool story bro time:
Holy shit, got invaded while coming back from painted world with 100k souls and 3 humanity (biggest loot I've amassed in the game), it's been one of the scariest videogame moments I can remember (I think it was a player, but may've been an npc?). I was already sweating thinking about sneaking past all those enemies with no bonfire in sight (white light barrier up to the fire keeper bonfire, not having really explored anor londo I didn't knew my way around). Getting invaded sent me on panic mode. Painting -> contraction doesn't work, homeward bones and other shit don't work (great moment to discover this), what the fuck should I do?. I ran like there was no tomorrow through all the white assassins without knowing where the black phantom was, to where all the white soapstone signs usually are (after the white light wall) desperately trying to look for someone to summon and help me. Though luck, nobody around. Equiped the ring that mutes your footsteps and hided somewhere, I could hear the guy running around. Went up to the ceiling of the temple and the dude found me, but he slipped trying to catch up and falled all the way down, insta death.
Fuck, that was intense. Felt totally like one of those nightmares where you're being hunted by something in a weird city/enviroment you don't know. The emptiness of Anor Londo felt really haunting when I was looking for a place to hide. This game is awesome.

NO WAY - were you on at like 9:30ish EST last night? I think that was me dude. Ugh, the footwork in this game!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
we.are.the.armada said:
Yeah it's surprisingly bad - the covenant shortcut helps a lot though. The boss in Izalith is absolutely horrible, cheap, and a geometrical mess. After playing Uncharted 3, Dark Soul's polygonal footwork is awful by comparison.

The only real use for the shortcut is to get demon titanite from cheaping the prowling demon on the bridge. It doesn't get you back to the boss any quicker than the bonfire in the lava field.

I wish people would stop focussing on the "shortcut" as being the easy route, because long-term (talking about bed of chaos, with its super cheap deaths) it will bite you in the ass.

Firesage & Centipede Demon are fun fights, and I really don't see why people have such an aversion to using a bow to clear the bounding demons. Getting across Valley of the Demons is easy because you can bypass pretty much everything bar 2 Capra's and 1 Taurus demon - none of which should cause you any problems because of the amount of space you have to fight in.

MomoPufflet said:
Am I alone in thinking being able to attune multiple copies of the same spell is a recipe for cheap? I felt bad having 6 wrath of the gods-- can't imagine having 9, or 12.

Most you are only going to get 1 time per playthrough so it takes a while. It's just the new version of having a longer mana bar, I think it's fine. Besides it takes a pretty huge investment to have all those attunement slots AND decent stats for other stuff.

I enjoy a lot tough having 6 charges of iron skin ;)

Clear said:
The only real use for the shortcut is to get demon titanite from cheaping the prowling demon on the bridge. It doesn't get you back to the boss any quicker than the bonfire in the lava field.

I wish people would stop focussing on the "shortcut" as being the easy route, because long-term (talking about bed of chaos, with its super cheap deaths) it will bite you in the ass.

Firesage & Centipede Demon are fun fights, and I really don't see why people have such an aversion to using a bow to clear the bounding demons. Getting across Valley of the Demons is easy because you can bypass pretty much everything bar 2 Capra's and 1 Taurus demon - none of which should cause you any problems because of the amount of space you have to fight in.

How did you guys use the shortcut though? I see a lot of people complaining it is a lousy shortcut since the "closest" bonfire is the one in demons ruins going through capra and tuarus demons again, not to mention the stupid rock guys.

However, you can skip that, there is a shortcut that is an elevator between Quelaag's Domain and the room with the Firesage Demon in it. So if you use that bonfire instead (in Chaos Covenant) you are back in under a minute just running past everything.

UrbanRats

Clear said:

I'm not saying it's unsurmountable, i'm saying it's lazy and not fun.
Yeah, you can cheese that and cheese this, but i play to have fun, not to win the game.
I'm definitely open to cheesing (and i've done it in DkS) if it gets me to a fun part later on, but it'd still be better to not have to.
Though i guess "fun" it's also subjective.

kyubajin

Today I finally got the Future Press guide. It's a thing of beauty. Those guys really played the heck out of the game to make it.

Oracle Dragon said:
It's just the new version of having a longer mana bar, I think it's fine. Besides it takes a pretty huge investment to have all those attunement slots AND decent stats for other stuff.

That's true. I guess I'm just used to having a build that allows me to add more casts very easily.

DKnight said:
Cool story bro time:

I'm finding that most times this is the best way to deal with invaders. If you try to complete the level you will die. If you try to hunt them down they will lead you into monsters and you will die. But if you hide and make them look for you for a bit, the tables will turn and they will let their guard down. I used to get killed by invaders constantly because I'd try to rush the encounter. Employing some patience, I've managed to kill the last 4 that came into my game. Most invaders do not want to dick around in your world-- they just want to farm you and move on (especially NA invaders, I think), so you should use this against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom