• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokkun

Risk Breaker said:
Soooo uuuh... Hollow Soldier Shield +10 for the Crystal Ring Shield? Y/N

Dunno what else I can make with the Butterfly soul but I just leveled up the shield. It's pretty hard to find Large Shards :/

4000 souls each at the merchant in Sen's Fortress.

Carcetti

DigitalDevil said:
hmmmmm, a connection between low emotional maturity and a desire to grief other online players for the sake of griefing? YOU DON'T SAY!

There's no connection unfortunately. I've been invading the innocent as a Darkwraith in Anor Londo and they're mostly named like (my favorite kill) BallSax.

Sotha Sil

Carcetti said:
There's no connection unfortunately. I've been invading the innocent as a Darkwraith in Anor Londo and they're mostly named like (my favorite kill) BallSax.

What a coincidence, I've been killing Darkwraiths in Anor Londo today! Maybe we met.

Seriously, I liked the PvP/Coop in DS, but it's so, so much better now. Exploring Londo for the first time with an experienced white ghost has been the most fun I had in weeks, video game-wise.

Carcetti

Sotha Sil said:
What a coincidence, I've been killing Darkwraiths in Anor Londo today! Maybe we met.

Seriously, I liked the PvP/Coop in DS, but it's so, so much better now. Exploring Londo for the first time with an experienced white ghost has been the most fun I had in weeks, video game-wise.

I haven't been online today yet unfortunately. It might be fun to meet too, what soul level are you? My evil invading character is at SL 50 (maybe 51 can't remember).

Should probably add that I've never been invaded by a Darkmoon avenger so far, no idea why. I've been indicted at least 3 times.

Didn't think I'd see much summoning in ng+ but I'm at Anor Londo at SL 85 and I'm getting summoned loads. Still getting loads of invasions as well, getting better at the pvp slowly. Speaking of which, anyone got any good counters for someone that comes at you with tranquil walk of peace and then flings fireballs at you?

yeb

maomaoIYP said:
I got invaded by this person multiple times in Anor Londo. All he did was stand in my face and spam Great Combustion, which was enough to kill me with all those sorcery boosters. It was ridiculous enough that I've started carrying Flash Sweat as my one pyro spell when I pvp.

I don't get how a level 1 invades a level 53 though.

psykomyko

So is there any good tactics for beating Four Kings?I'm pure melee. And I unfortunately cannot get Iron Flesh cus I had to kill the merchant that sells it. Is there another way to get Iron Flesh?

scy

yeb said:

The Darkmoon and Forest Covenants ignore level for their invasions. The others might as well, honestly; never looked into it.

xero273

yeb said:
I got invaded by this person multiple times in Anor Londo. All he did was stand in my face and spam Great Combustion, which was enough to kill me with all those sorcery boosters. It was ridiculous enough that I've started carrying Flash Sweat as my one pyro spell when I pvp.

some invasion don't have level restrictions. the forest for example has no level restriction.

Sotha Sil

Carcetti said:
I haven't been online today yet unfortunately. It might be fun to meet too, what soul level are you? My evil invading character is at SL 50 (maybe 51 can't remember).

Should probably add that I've never been invaded by a Darkmoon avenger so far, no idea why. I've been indicted at least 3 times.

My Darkmoon character is lvl 48, so it's a possibility!

sleepykyo

Thagomizer said:
Is everyone on PS3? Poking around on other sites is suggesting that people are having more difficulty matching up on 360.

I'm having difficulty on the PS3, but I don't have anything to compare it to .

My Darkmoon experience was
fail to connect
fail
fail
fail
invading player has entered the boss area
invading got a reprisal, yes
fail
fail
invading connection lost

SL is 128 though, kept trying to avoid leveling up, but then I would get crystal soul spear then it was dragon's breath, then it was would 60 in Int plus enchanted spear +5 do more than a lightning spear +5. If the book of the guilty is any indicator, everyone is keeping their SL at ~50 or lower.

tokkun

psykomyko said:
So is there any good tactics for beating Four Kings?I'm pure melee. And I unfortunately cannot get Iron Flesh cus I had to kill the merchant that sells it. Is there another way to get Iron Flesh?

The tactic is still speed. I would suggest using a high damage spear with a high stability shield. You can still wear Havel's armor for the poise & defense. Wear the Cloranthy ring to keep stamina up.

The only real difference in tactics is that you keep your shield up instead of two-handing and need to be careful about when you drop the shield to regain stamina. If you are having trouble killing them fast enough, cast Power Within.

ElFly

Yo Gotti said:
Button lag is REALLY fucking me up during this Smough & Ornstein fight on NG+, never noticed it this much until this fight which is so demanding on well timed rolls and attacks, especially when trying to take Smough out first.

Seems like there's button lag on almost any input if you hold block then let go of block and try to do something, even blocking again.

I think the buffer for the roll is way too long. I find myself rolling twice or thrice after pressing the button in a hurry. On the other hand, I don't think I've had a problem with the buffer for the other buttons.

Something that has killed me plenty of times is the zelda like targetting system. Having to target to use spells is annoying but understandable.

But changing how your rolls work when you are locked is just trying to kill the player. Many times I tried to roll away from an enemy, only for my man dropping to the side into a hole.

Well, happy to say that again (most bosses have been one either the first or third try), on my third attempt, I took out
Seath the Scaleless. First time, I just made a mental error and couldn't avoid his tail quick enough. Second time through however, I absolutely kicked his ass in about 3 minutes. Avoided his curse and took very little damage from his crystal spikes that just out of the ground through careful avoidance and awareness.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to
cut his tail off,
because I just couldn't get around in time to hit it; so I just focused on taking him down. I'll focus on his tail in the NG+.

Regardless... great fight and awesome boss. Now, the final parts of
Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith.
Not looking forward to those, but I am getting close.

I hate you work... you stop me from enjoying this game everyday!

What SL do you guys recommend I be moving forward to finish the game, just about to go into Blighttown and plan on plowing through, Im around SL 40.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
4 kings difficulty is all down to getting in as close as possible, like quite a few bosses they're at the least dangerous at touching distance.

Looking to farm Titanite slabs atm, but having no luck -despite what the guide says- from the Darkwraiths in New Londo Ruins. Anyone had success from this, and how much humanity were you stacking?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Great progress today. I cleared out/farmed lower Demon Ruins before heading out all the way back from where I came. This meant joining the Chaos Covenant and learning a new spell. Then I was able to upgrade my Zweihander to +9 and also leveled up Strength to 40. So I'm now in Sen's and so far Snake dudes ain't got a chance. I felt like a total badass. And then I opened a certain chest....

Fuck you, Dark Souls, you awesome piece of shitty awesomeness.

bob_arctor said:
Great progress today. I cleared out/farmed lower Demon Ruins before heading out all the way back from where I came. This meant joining the Chaos Covenant and learning a new spell. Then I was able to upgrade my Zweihander to +9 and also leveled up Strength to 40. So I'm now in Sen's and so far Snake dudes ain't got a chance. I felt like a total badass. And then I opened a certain chest....

lmao

sleepykyo

Sotha Sil said:
I'm having the same problem, but I guess it just means few people actually know/care about reporting crimes.

To be honest I'm guilty of that, I've only rated 3 messages in total and never indicted someone. I don't want to give up an quick use slot and I'm not digging though the usable items section.

johntown

Banned
sleepykyo said:
SL is 128 though, kept trying to avoid leveling up, but then I would get crystal soul spear then it was dragon's breath, then it was would 60 in Int plus enchanted spear +5 do more than a lightning spear +5. If the book of the guilty is any indicator, everyone is keeping their SL at ~50 or lower.
I have not done too much PVP yet but I know in Demon's Souls SL120 - SL160 was optimal for PVP.

With Pyromancy though you can have some people with very low soul levels that wipe out anyone they invade because the glove is not a stat.

Booshka

Clear said:
4 kings difficulty is all down to getting in as close as possible, like quite a few bosses they're at the least dangerous at touching distance.

Looking to farm Titanite slabs atm, but having no luck -despite what the guide says- from the Darkwraiths in New Londo Ruins. Anyone had success from this, and how much humanity were you stacking?
It's always been inconsistent for me, the one time I went in there to try and farm, I got zero drops with the Serpent ring and 10 Humanity on me. Then I went in there with no humanity and no serpent ring, I was going in there just to grab the ember, and I got 3 drops in a row, and 5 total. I don't suggest farming there, just get a little further into the game and farm the final area, the drops are 100% there and all types of chunks are dropped. Just don't beat the final boss until you are satisfied with your Chunk count.

bob_arctor said:

lol, i had the same reaction.

EasyMode

Sullichin said:
The gold hemmed armor you get in Demon's Ruins looks so cool. I wish the armor with the best DEF and poise didn't look so stupid
I'd like the gold hemmed armor more if my bare feet didn't stick out. I'm with you on Havel's armor though, so ugly.

Zzoram

yeb said:
I should have been more clear. I don't get how a level 1 red phantom invades me when I'm level 53.
I think invaders always invade people higher level than them except Blue or Forest. The 10% might only apply to coop?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Booshka said:
It's always been inconsistent for me, the one time I went in there to try and farm, I got zero drops with the Serpent ring and 10 Humanity on me. Then I went in there with no humanity and no serpent ring, I was going in there just to grab the ember, and I got 3 drops in a row, and 5 total. I don't suggest farming there, just get a little further into the game and farm the final area, the drops are 100% there and all types of chunks are dropped. Just don't beat the final boss until you are satisfied with your Chunk count.

Chunks aren't an issue, its Slabs I'm after. The guide says that they do drop them too, but has anyone actually seen one?

johntown

Banned
Booshka said:
I think the Stone Golems have the worst drop rate in the whole game.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Okay after 2 hours of frustration I decided to try to summon some phantoms for coop. I rarely summon since I hardly ever use humanity period but man when you're truly stuck on a boss there's no better feeling than having some backup.

I summoned a Phantom and Solaire. We took out Smough so fast, I was excited as fuck thinking "there's no way this can go wrong", we were destroying them... yea. Super Orstein is bitch hard on NG+. He took out Solaire first with a short combo, then me and the Phantom are doing okay, we get him down to about 1/5th health and it's looking good. Then he turns to face the Phantom, starts winding up his lightning spear grab and 1 shots this guy in a second. Now it's back to 1 on 1 me VS Orstein. I get a few more hits in, see his lightning spear winding up, badly timed roll... 1 shot killed.

I've made it my goal to beat this guy today, solo or coop, and when I do I'm going to spend the rest of the day just helping guys out VS Smough & Orstein. This is painful.

Booshka

Clear said:
Chunks aren't an issue, its Slabs I'm after. The guide says that they do drop them too, but has anyone actually seen one?
I don't know about that one, I think some guy farmed there for 4 straight hours and never got a Slab, don't know if they ever drop them.

sleepykyo

Sotha Sil said:
I'm having the same problem, but I guess it just means few people actually know/care about reporting crimes.

I'm guilty of this. I've only rated 3 messages and never indicted anyone. Too lazy to dig through the usable items and I don't want to have them take up a quick use slot.

Yo Gotti said:
Okay after 2 hours of frustration I decided to try to summon some phantoms for coop. I rarely summon since I hardly ever use humanity period but man when you're truly stuck on a boss there's no better feeling than having some backup.

I summoned a Phantom and Solaire. We took out Smough so fast, I was excited as fuck thinking "there's no way this can go wrong", we were destroying them... yea. Super Orstein is bitch hard on NG+. He took out Solaire first with a short combo, then me and the Phantom are doing okay, we get him down to about 1/5th health and it's looking good. Then he turns to face the Phantom, starts winding up his lightning spear grab and 1 shots this guy in a second. Now it's back to 1 on 1 me VS Orstein. I get a few more hits in, see his lightning spear winding up, badly timed roll... 1 shot killed.

I've made it my goal to beat this guy today, solo or coop, and when I do I'm going to spend the rest of the day just helping guys out VS Smough & Orstein. This is painful.

Guess I know where set up shop for the 8 assists so I can join the Warriors of Sunlight.

Clear said:
I got one on one run toward trying to kill the 4 Kings. I remember reading something about they only dropping if you haven't killed the 4 Kings thought.

sleepykyo said:
I'm guilty of this. I've only rated 3 messages and never indicted anyone. Too lazy to dig through the usable items and I don't want to have them take up a quick use slot.

You don't have to have the indictments in a slot, the game will automatically ask if you want to indict as long as you have them in your inventory. Orange soapstone isn't worth using a slot for but it's right at the top of the list when you select use item from the menu so it's pretty quick to just do it like that. Having said that, yeah I don't rate messages much anymore. I always used to do it whenever a message led me to discover something I would have missed though.

Fighting Nito...he's a dick.

That is all. : /

It's been too chaotic for me to notice but if I kill the skeletons with a divine weapon, they're down for good, yes?

And do I need to kill the giant skeleton with divine as well...or can I just blast them with pyromancies and they stay down?

johntown

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
Fighting Nito...he's a dick.

That is all. : /

It's been too chaotic for me to notice but if I kill the skeletons with a divine weapon, they're down for good, yes?

And do I need to kill the giant skeleton with divine as well...or can I just blast them with pyromancies and they stay down?
Divine is the only way to get rid of them all. If you stay in the little area you first fall down and wait for Nito you will never have to fight the big ones. Once he passes you head to the left.

Lots of work + Blightown = I haven't touched this game in weeks.

Last time I played I beat
Queelag
, is the only way back to climb? the water wheel thing is useless? I remember getting some items but nothing more, I don't have the Master Key.

Septimius

I am soo sad :<
I wish I knew about this before I beat Ornstein and Smough. I would've beat Ornstein last to get his armor. Smough's body and helmet with the antiquated skirt and some gloves make up the best armor under 50% weight I can wear, but I look SOOOO UUUUGLYYYY

Seen how Twinkling Tatinite can't be farmed other than from lizards, and the counter goes up in NG+, I will wait with farming them, meaning I'll have to endure looking like a proper dunce. Gah :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom