• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

2AdEPT

corrosivefrost said:
Get a divine or a occult weapon for beating on the skeletons first. Otherwise, they'll just keep getting back up.

He's only optional in the sense that Acullis chose the master key.

I think the cursed version is the one you get from any sword.
I think the non-cursed version is the one you get from broken sword or hilt.

THis is correct, only for the cursed version it has to be any straight sword....I used a balder side sword. You get C accross the board for stats, but must have 18 accorss the board to be able to use effectively. I still think it is worth it for the ghosts as it one hits them and two handed you get a quick out and back combo that hits one ghost on the way up and another on the way down!

About Convents, when I join a new one it tells my I have to abandon the former.
So if I join a new on & go back to the Darkoot Garden, will all the hunters there be hostile again before I can rejoin the convent from Alvedia again?

I don't have to pay that ridiculously large fine that multiples with your level to rejoin do I?

Deadstar

I just joined the dragon covenant and got the you know what. Is there any way to increase the damage? I gave the dragon around 8-9 stones and didn't seem to notice any damage increase.

How do I upgrade my fire weapon past +5? I upgraded an Estoc to +5 and went to the blacksmith in the crypt but it doesn't show up under repair weapon or modify weapon.

scy

See You Next Wednesday said:
About Convents, when I join a new one it tells my I have to abandon the former.
So if I join a new on & go back to the Darkoot Garden, will all the hunters there be hostile again before I can rejoin the convent from Alvedia again?

I don't have to pay that ridiculously large fine that multiples with your level to rejoin do I?

Leaving a Covenant, either through the NPC to leave to just straight up joining a new Covenant, is no sin; you do lose a Rank in that Covenant, however.

If you leave the Forest Covenant, you can freely kill the Crest Door NPCs until you rejoin. There will be no cost to the rejoining either.

Deadstar said:
How do I upgrade my fire weapon past +5? I upgraded an Estoc to +5 and went to the blacksmith in the crypt but it doesn't show up under repair weapon or modify weapon.

Did you get the Embers from the
Demon Ruins
? If not, you shouldn't be able to take a Fire Weapon to +10 or a Chaos Weapon without them.

Just got the Antiquated Set. I love how the description on the skirt says it's not for combat use, and yet it has far better stats than any armor I have so far.

maomaoIYP said:

Looks like he beat hydra too to get that crown, wow. I mean, I guess you can do it if you're really good at dodging the water jets, but still pretty impressive that he took the time and effort to do it. Going to go out on a limb and guess he's JP...

Dresden

There's been people doing SL1 playthroughs, so it's nothing surprising. The power of pyromancy, Lightning weapons, and the crystal ring shield.

scy

MomoPufflet said:
Looks like he beat hydra too to get that crown, wow. I mean, I guess you can do it if you're really good at dodging the water jets, but still pretty impressive that he took the time and effort to do it. Going to go out on a limb and guess he's JP...

The water jets aren't hard to dodge; they have a big windup and the audio cue warns when you need to move. Full on sprinting down and you should only really need to dodge it twice on open terrain. The actual fight is really easy.

Or you can just have it path itself to death :/

SL1 was rough but not as impossibly hard as people think it should be due to the non-stat scaling things in the game (Pyromancy, Elemental Weapons).

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
MomoPufflet said:

Since he's on the 360 version it's incredibly unlikely he's Japanese, considering only the PS3 version was released in Japan.

vilmer_

Hmmm for some reason I can't get into the Gravelord covenant. When I first went down to there, I didn't sit in the coffin (as I didn't know I had to do this). I beat the boss so I came back to the bonfire and worked my way back to the coffin, sat in it and triggered the cut scene, but there is still no option for me to kneel back at the large coffin near the bonfire... Am I screwed out of it?

scy said:
The water jets aren't hard to dodge; they have a big windup and the audio cue warns when you need to move. Full on sprinting down and you should only really need to dodge it twice on open terrain. The actual fight is really easy.

SL1 was rough but not as impossibly hard as people think it should be due to the non-stat scaling things in the game (Pyromancy, Elemental Weapons).

I know. I'm just saying it's impressive he took the time to do it for no reward aside from some vague, disembodied nerd cred. It's easy to say it's easy without taking the time to actually plan and do it.

UrbanRats

MomoPufflet said:
I used a boulder near the water, that basically sheltered me from all the water jets (only consuming a very little part of stamina).

vilmer_ said:
Hmmm for some reason I can't get into the Gravelord covenant. When I first went down to there, I didn't sit in the coffin (as I didn't know I had to do this). I beat the boss so I came back to the bonfire and worked my way back to the coffin, sat in it and triggered the cut scene, but there is still no option for me to kneel back at the large coffin near the bonfire... Am I screwed out of it?

It's hard to pledge loyalty to someone who's dead. Well, Dead-er.

Dresden

vilmer_ said:
Well you killed the guy who is the covenant, so yeah.

Xanathus

vilmer_ said:
Exactly which boss did you beat? You obviously can't join the covenant if you just killed it's boss.

Audioboxer

johntown said:
Maybe not the SL but some people may not want to risk using the humanity or even have any.

I got a summon a few minutes after posting that. Just trying to get some humanity and help out others.

Plus I wanted to test out my mage build vs Capra before risking my own ass/souls.

Took him down quite quickly.

Do I have to go through the Depths to reach Blighttown, I just beat the dragon in the depths but backtracked to farm in the garden, is there a shortcut?

Zzoram

dreamer3kx said:
Do I have to go through the Depths to reach Blighttown, I just beat the dragon in the depths but backtracked to farm in the garden, is there a shortcut?
If you have the master key you can enter Blighttown another way, go to New Londo Ruins, open the door to Valley of the Drakes, go to Blighttown from there.

Trevelyon

Man, hate to say it, might need to soul glitch my faith way up, 'cause I'm getting absolutely no traction on boss summons in NG+ in order to get into the Sunlight covenant (and eventually finish my miracle set trophy and covenant discovery silver)

Didn't put any faith into my STR/END character and didn't really assist much as a white soul in my first run (do successful white soul assist even carry over to new game+, fuck?), and the odds of summoning aren't as favorable in NG+. Might need to freeze my lvls (SL 106) and try my luck with some later to end game bosses.

Audioboxer

Trevelyon said:
Man, hate to say it, might need to soul glitch my faith way up, 'cause I'm getting absolutely no traction on boss summons in NG+ in order to get into the Sunlight covenant (and eventually finish my miracle set trophy and covenant discovery silver)

Didn't put any faith into my STR/END character and didn't really assist much as a white soul in my first run (do successful white soul assist even carry over to new game+, fuck?), and the odds of summoning aren't as favorable in NG+. Might need to freeze my lvls (SL 106) and try my luck with some later to end game bosses.

Have you tried quitting out and resetting your lobby a few times?

I done that 5 mins ago and since I've been summoned twice for Capra.

vilmer_

Thagomizer said:
It's hard to pledge loyalty to someone who's dead. Well, Dead-er.

Xanathus said:
Exactly which boss did you beat? You obviously can't join the covenant if you just killed it's boss.

DOH! Wow I'm burnt :p Yes, I indeed DESTROYED Nito. Ah well, next playthrough!

Trevelyon

Yeah, Ive been doing that periodically, I'm early in NG+ and I think I'm just too over leveled at this point, I might need to play further and not level and the pve matches should balance out more.

I done that 5 mins ago and since I've been summoned twice for Capra.

Level?

Audioboxer

Trevelyon said:
Yeah, Ive been doing that periodically, I'm early in NG+ and I think I'm just too over leveled at this point, I might need to play further and not level and the pve matches should balance out more.

Level?

I'm only level 27, posted above about not getting summoned and I've now had 3 in total in 10 minutes from quitting out and loading once or twice. Killed him all 3 times. My heavy soul arrow doing about 260+ damage to him :D

Feels good to help others.

Finalow

ok i'm going to restart the game, i'll try with a mage.
don't want to finish the ng+ alone, can't really find ANYONE in co-op at level 169. really, anyone. just invasions.

Trevelyon

I'm only level 27, posted above about not getting summoned and I've now had 3 in total in 10 minutes from quitting out and loading once or twice. Killed him all 3 times. My heavy soul arrow doing about 260+ damage to him :D

Feels good to help others.

But, you understand there's way way more lower level players, your chances of being summoned and summoning are better than mine. You're adequately leveled for those bosses (perhaps a little high for Capra, but in range)

I don't think resetting lobbies will better my situation.

Zzoram

Once I platinum the game I'll make a character capped at SL30 for PvP or coop I think.

One step closer, finally got the channeler's trident!!

I didn't really find Capra or the Gargoyles that hard. The only hard part of Capra is right at the beginning when he had his dogs charge you at the same time. Once his backup is dead, he goes down easily. I beat the Gargoyles on my first try and only took 3 hits +plus a little fire damage. Easy.

Wallachia

Update on where I'm at:
- Beat Pinwheel, but didn't venture into Tomb of Giants yet
- Sen's Fortress.. dealing with the rolling ball trap. Looking for the lightning spear
- Been to Great Hollow and Ash Lake. Beat Quelaag
- I have some strong weapons, but nothing great. So I need to upgrade any of them to +5 before you can imbue magical/elemental properties to them?
- I got the Titanite demon's pole.. pretty cool weapon. The jumping strong attack is awesome.

So should I keep working on Sen's?

I did the Catacombs before Sens.

- You get access to the smith there that can do +fire upgrades - found having my winged spear to +3 fire made Sens much easier
- Pinwheel is an easy boss - you also get the rite of kindling and you can reinforce bonfires even more

scy said:

There's a pathing bug for the hydra in darkroot?!

Yo Gotti

Banned
Button lag is REALLY fucking me up during this Smough & Ornstein fight on NG+, never noticed it this much until this fight which is so demanding on well timed rolls and attacks, especially when trying to take Smough out first.

Seems like there's button lag on almost any input if you hold block then let go of block and try to do something, even blocking again.

anddo0

2AdEPT said:
THis is correct, only for the cursed version it has to be any straight sword....I used a balder side sword. You get C accross the board for stats, but must have 18 accorss the board to be able to use effectively. I still think it is worth it for the ghosts as it one hits them and two handed you get a quick out and back combo that hits one ghost on the way up and another on the way down!

I'm confused..

Greatsword of Artorias - Ascended using the Soul of Sif using any of the weapons below after reinforcing to +10.
Balder Side Sword etc..

Greatsword of Artorias (Cursed) - Ascended using the Soul of Sif using any of the weapons below after reinforcing to +10.
Broken Straight Sword
Straight Sword hilt

I know the cursed version doesn't say 'cursed', and the only difference is stats. But I thought cursed could only be achieved via broken and hilt.

scy

MomoPufflet said:
I know. I'm just saying it's impressive he took the time to do it for no reward aside from some vague, disembodied nerd cred. It's easy to say it's easy without taking the time to actually plan and do it.

Well, the crown helps the run due to the bonus spell damage. Really helps cut down on the amount of upgrades you need to rush for the Flame.

And I've done a (mostly) SL1 playthrough; stopped it at the
Kiln
since I didn't want to end up in NG+ at SL1. This should have been an achievement/trophy; that'd have been fun.

corrosivefrost said:
There's a pathing bug for the hydra in darkroot?!

It's capable of falling out of the world if it goes too far backwards. I haven't seen anything reliable on it, though. At least, not in the same sense as the
Black Hydra's suicidal tendencies
. The fight is easy enough though so I don't think too many people have looked into it, lol.

anddo0 said:
I'm confused..

Greatsword of Artorias - Ascended using the Soul of Sif using any of the weapons below after reinforcing to +10.
Balder Side Sword etc..

Greatsword of Artorias (Cursed) - Ascended using the Soul of Sif using any of the weapons below after reinforcing to +10.
Broken Straight Sword
Straight Sword hilt

I know the cursed version doesn't say 'cursed', and the only difference is stats. But I thought cursed could only be achieved via broken and hilt.

I think that's reversed.

Sotha Sil said:
Wow, the guilty I have slayed sure are an homophobic bunch. Just looked at my PSN inbox, and winced.

hmmmmm, a connection between low emotional maturity and a desire to grief other online players for the sake of griefing? YOU DON'T SAY!

Zoe

bdizzle said:
Man fuck the capra demon

I really lucked out. I had been trying to beat him for days, until I tried out a weapon I had gotten through co-op and beat him on the first try.

So much time wasted grinding at the dragon just to build up my vitality and defense :\

Yo Gotti said:
Button lag is REALLY fucking me up during this Smough & Ornstein fight on NG+, never noticed it this much until this fight which is so demanding on well timed rolls and attacks, especially when trying to take Smough out first.

Seems like there's button lag on almost any input if you hold block then let go of block and try to do something, even blocking again.

I get that quite often too. I'll be blocking and will go for an attack, the attack doesn't come out and then when I hit block again a couple of seconds later the attack comes out instead. Seems like some some kind of error with the buffering of inputs the game does. Really annoying when you die because of it.

Soooo uuuh... Hollow Soldier Shield +10 for the Crystal Ring Shield? Y/N

Dunno what else I can make with the Butterfly soul but I just leveled up the shield. It's pretty hard to find Large Shards :/

Zzoram

Risk Breaker said:
Soooo uuuh... Hollow Soldier Shield +10 for the Crystal Ring Shield? Y/N

Dunno what else I can make with the Butterfly soul but I just leveled up the shield. It's pretty hard to find Large Shards :/
Farm blighttown slugs or just buy them in sen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom