• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
we.are.the.armada said:
Yeah it's surprisingly bad - the covenant shortcut helps a lot though. The boss in Izalith is absolutely horrible, cheap, and a geometrical mess. After playing Uncharted 3, Dark Soul's polygonal footwork is awful by comparison.

Now D. God in Demon's Souls was really sweet - they should have carbon copied that encounter.

NO WAY - were you on at like 9:30ish EST last night? I think that was me dude. Ugh, the footwork in this game!
Hahaha, well, I was playing all day long so I'm not really sure when it happened, but I'm in Europe so that may've not been me. Maybe it's a common occurrence, it's the best place to fight if you think you're at a disadvantage...

orion434

Finally got my 10 Souvenir of Reprisal and no more Multiplayer stuff left for the game to 100% I only have 3 areas left as well. I am so overleveled from grinding and making sure I get all the Covenants in my first playthrough.

Lombax

Banned
holy shit
Bed Of Chaos
is such a pain in the ass. Anyone have tips I took out the root on the right no problem but i can not figure out how to get to the root on the right without getting my ass killed.

Lombax said:
holy shit
Bed Of Chaos
is such a pain in the ass. Anyone have tips I took out the root on the right no problem but i can not figure out how to get to the root on the right without getting my ass killed.

Hug the wall on the way to the left root. Eventually you will be out of space and it looks like you took the "wrong" way to get there with the holes in the floor (which you did if you want to melee). However, from that angle you can hit the left root with a bow.

test_account

XP-39C²
What is the pyromancy spell called that shoots flame all around you?

Lombax said:
holy shit
Bed Of Chaos
Which root have you beaten, the left or the right? If you have the right root left to beat, then try to "lure" the hand to hit you and then avoid it if possible, then run like crazy :) The ground will fall apart, but jump between the different platforms. It is quite difficult overall, but it is possible.

johntown

Banned
Lombax said:
holy shit
Bed Of Chaos
You could try ranged. I saw a guy do it with arrows in a video but when I tried it I ended up wasting my arrows.

It just timing and luck.

Lombax said:
holy shit
Bed Of Chaos

The best shield you can equip, as much HP as you can, as much DEF as you can (use Havel's ring/ father mask, and put on real armor if you're a mage-- stay under 50% weight though, you need rolling), and some luck. I guess some Fire DEF couldn't hurt if you can work it in. Stay on the edge and move as far as you can while outside the swipe path. Move in and block the first swipe and run as fast as you can. Honestly a lot of it is just luck. It's kind of a crappily designed boss encounter in that I don't think it's even possible to avoid getting hit a couple times. So, you need to be able to manage those hits. Heal yourself immediately with estus when damaged because the next hit will probably kill you.

Lombax

Banned
Oracle Dragon said:
Hug the wall on the way to the left root. Eventually you will be out of space and it looks like you took the "wrong" way to get there with the holes in the floor (which you did if you want to melee). However, from that angle you can hit the left root with a bow.

Thank you, I'll give it a shot with arrows. About the only thing I like about this boss is that the room maintains state with each attempt. Doing that fight over and over with the same mechanics would make me punch a bunny in the face.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Oracle Dragon said:
How did you guys use the shortcut though? I see a lot of people complaining it is a lousy shortcut since the "closest" bonfire is the one in demons ruins going through capra and tuarus demons again, not to mention the stupid rock guys.

However, you can skip that, there is a shortcut that is an elevator between Quelaag's Domain and the room with the Firesage Demon in it. So if you use that bonfire instead (in Chaos Covenant) you are back in under a minute just running past everything.

Using the shortcut you'll want to go from the second bonfire you describe, go down the tree and into the long straight alley with the chaos bugs, up and over the long straight bridge with the prowling demon on it, down through izalith proper and back up and round to the boss room.

If you clear the bounding demons around it, there's a hidden bonfire in the tower directly opposite the tree trunk that leads into Izalith from that side. From there you run straight in, go down into the long alley/underpass where all the statues are, if you stay to the right edge and run they will all actually move out of your way until you reach the steps up to where the chaos eater is. Just run at him, and pass him on your left as again he wont react in time to touch you. Behind him, turn right and go along a little bit and you're at the steps down to BoC.

Whole run takes less than a minute and you wont get touched.

Lombax said:
Thank you, I'll give it a shot with arrows. About the only thing I like about this boss is that the room maintains state with each attempt. Doing that fight over and over with the same mechanics would make me punch a bunny in the face.

Yeah, I think they realized how cheap it was and added the save state. I'm willing to bet originally they intended it to be one seamless fight.

tokkun

Oracle Dragon said:
How did you guys use the shortcut though? I see a lot of people complaining it is a lousy shortcut since the "closest" bonfire is the one in demons ruins going through capra and tuarus demons again, not to mention the stupid rock guys.

However, you can skip that, there is a shortcut that is an elevator between Quelaag's Domain and the room with the Firesage Demon in it. So if you use that bonfire instead (in Chaos Covenant) you are back in under a minute just running past everything.

There's no need to even go as far as Chaos Covenant. The bonfire between Demon Firesage and Caterpillar is just as close to the shortcut entrance, doesn't require you to wait for an elevator, and has no enemies on its path.

The shortcut is great. I hear people bitching about Lost Izalith, but you can skip the entire level with the shortcut, plus you get a ton of Demon Titanite along the way if it takes you multiple tries to beat the boss.

Zzoram said:
Most people killed Pinwheel in 1-2 hits, mini pinwheels are even weaker.

It first run, it took me 5 jabs with a lightning spear. I don't remember if that was 1H or 2H.
NG+, I 2-3 shotted him with homing crystal soulmass and my 50 INT/sorcery boosters.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its interesting, I've noticed that a few things (like fall damage) aren't calculated as absolute values but as ratios of your max hp.

I've been stacking vit to give me a bit more leeway in NG+ and I'm wondering if I've made a bad mistake :(

maomaoIYP said:
He's got the red orb too. Which means he beat the 4 kings. At SL 1.

Fully upgraded Pyro glove + Iron Flesh + Stone armor + Havel's ring + elemental spear at [near] full upgrade = not so bad.

Impressive, but doable.

Can you drop the red orb? Cause that would help too, possibly.

scy

I'm still puzzled if Pinwheel was meant to be fought really early in the game or something. I mean, there's no reason to go into the Catacombs early at all, really (barring Rite of Kindling, Great Scythe and finding Vamos, I guess). It's pretty demoralizing to go through it all and then "lol not enough story go back!" when you're done :/

maomaoIYP said:
He's got the red orb too. Which means he beat the 4 kings. At SL 1.

They're not that bad of a fight, honestly. Good low-requirement weapons, Iron Flesh usage, and max Pyro spells makes it essentially the same fight at SL1 as it is normally. It's a pretty terrible fight still but not infinitely harder than tackling them at a higher SL.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wow. Finally.

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on September 26 2011 (Order# xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx). We've listed the item(s) listed below with the expected delivery date(s):

Future Press "Dark Souls the Official Guide Hardcover"
Estimated arrival date: November 01 2011

kyubajin

elty said:
Is there any shortcut available after the archer in Anor Londo? I hope I don't need to deal them twice.
Yes, as soon as you get into the building, the first door on the left has a bonfire.

UrbanRats

elty said:
Is there any shortcut available after the archer in Anor Londo? I hope I don't need to deal them twice.
Yes, don't worry, you won't have to go there anymore.
There's a big gate(that you saw earlier), with a switch right next to it, that lets you go through, later on.

elty said:

If you make it by them the first time, the only reason you'd ever have to deal with them again is if you want the 10,000 souls soul of a hero item behind the left archer... once you get inside you find ways to (1) open the gate to the left of the main doors and (2) open the main doors themselves.

test_account

XP-39C²
xero273 said:
Firestorm? pillars of fire erupt around you. IMO it isn't that good in this game.
zerokoolpsx said:
Firestorm? Chaos Firestorm? Fire Tempest?
No idea :) I just need some spell that can take out a lot around me for beating
Nito
. I almost made it earlier with Crystal Soul Mass, but those damn orbs keep shooting at the skeletons instead, eventhough that i'm locked on the boss. So annyoing :(

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
Well I made a new char yesterday, a Cleric, just to fresh things up a bit.

And to my surprise, I was invaded, at lv 4, by a darkwraith. I am absolutely impressed that, whoever this guy was, he killed
Four Kings
at such low level.

Anyway, I was invaded at the Undead Burg, just outside the bonfire. It was TERRIFYING! All of sudden the bonfire entrance got closed, at that time it just clicked for me, shit got real. When he appeared, he instantly charged and started to try sucking humanity from me. As my mace backstabs would take like 1/10th of his life, so we went on like that for a while. Between dodging his attacks and backstabs I managed to bring him down to around 1/3rd of his HP, when he pulled a catalyst and started to nuke me. Between rolling like a madman I managed to summon a guy and just when the invader positioned himself in front of a fall, the phantom appeared and pushed him into oblivion.

The phantom then proceeded to help me massacrate everybody and beat the hell out of the boss.

Best PvP experience I've had with this game yet!

Kalnos

Banned
DuendeSmoker said:
And to my surprise, I was invaded, at lv 4, by a darkwraith. I am absolutely impressed that, whoever this guy was, he killed
Four Kings
at such low level.

Iron Flesh +
Four Kings
= possible at any level. He could have also summoned the AI NPC who does a bit of damage and is at least a distraction.

I'm a level 30 Darkwraith, not sure if I should level to 50 or not yet.

Venfayth

Wowow so I've been stuck for a while.

I killed the Gargoyles, then started exploring. I found the hydra and killed it, then went up to the forest where the dogs are and got destroyed. I explored more, found the butterfly and destroyed it after a few attempts of learning how to dodge. I explored through the catacombs and killed the boss down there, walked into the tomb of kings or whatever and got completely smashed. Then I kept trying to go down into the swamp through the Valley of Drakes entrance. I went all the way to the other side that apparently leads into the lower undead burg, and am met with the message: "Door opens from the other side."

It was at this point I realized something was wrong, and then I looked through the guidebook and found that after you kill the gargoyles you can open the other door on the opposite end of the bridge from the hellkite dragon to get down to the next part of the burg.

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU

What have I missed by not going in there? :(

Beats

scy said:
I'm still puzzled if Pinwheel was meant to be fought really early in the game or something. I mean, there's no reason to go into the Catacombs early at all, really (barring Rite of Kindling, Great Scythe and finding Vamos, I guess). It's pretty demoralizing to go through it all and then "lol not enough story go back!" when you're done :/

I think that they meant for you to go to the Catacombs shortly after the Gargoyle fight.

Rhea, and her friends visit Petrus once you return to Firelink after defeating the Gargoyles. They talk about going to the Catacombs for some mission if you talk to them enough. The crestfallen warrior also tells you about them going off to "pillage graves" which is a hint that they are likely going to the Catacombs. Also if you saved Griggs of Vinheim he'll tell you that they went to the Catacombs to seek Kindling.

At this point you can go ahead save Rhea in the Tomb of the Giants. When you return to Firelink Shrine after saving her the crestfallen warrior will tell you that she went to the church. Though if you don't save her Lautrec will tell you what happened to the band of clerics for some souls, and how Petrus left her alone to die. Petrus then tells you that she "slipped" down into a hole turning her companions hollow, leaving her helpless, and that you can do whatever you want with her at this point.

There is some story surrounding it, but they never force you to go there I guess until later. So yeah, it's likely that Pinwheel was meant to be an early boss.

Acullis said:

I killed the Gargoyles, then started exploring. I found the hydra and killed it, then went up to the forest where the dogs are and got destroyed. I explored more, found the butterfly and destroyed it after a few attempts of learning how to dodge. I explored through the catacombs and killed the boss down there, walked into the tomb of kings or whatever and got completely smashed. Then I kept trying to go down into the swamp through the Valley of Drakes entrance. I went all the way to the other side that apparently leads into the lower undead burg, and am met with the message: "Door opens from the other side."

It was at this point I realized something was wrong, and then I looked through the guidebook and found that after you kill the gargoyles you can open the other door on the opposite end of the bridge from the hellkite dragon to get down to the next part of the burg.

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU

I did the same thing in my NG man - you've missed the
depths dungeon, phantom kirk encounter (thorn armor drop) if you don't kill boss first, boss, a good ring, an NPC, and a merchant.
However, you can still get it all, and as for the phantom, just be sure to trigger him prior to the boss.

test_account

XP-39C²
Acullis said:

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU

After you beaten the Gargoyles, you must go to the lower levels of Undead Burg (dont remember what it is called). To get there, go to where the Red Dragon is. Right before the place where he starts to shoot fire there is a door. You need the basement key, but i assume that you have this?

BeeDog

I need ONE more Sunlight Medal for the Warrior of Sunlight covenant but can't for the life of me get summoned :(((((( SL ~160.

EasyMode

Ourobolus said:
It's optional? I thought you beat
Capra Demon to get the Depths Key, then Gaping Dragon to get the Blighttown Key
?
If you have the master key you can get to Blighttown from New Londo.

Edit: slowest on the draw this time.

johntown

Banned
EasyMode said:
If you have the master key you can get to Blighttown from New Londo.

Edit: slowest on the draw this time.
Yeah if you don't have the Master Key then it is not optional and must be done through NG+ etc.

johntown

Banned
BeeDog said:
I need ONE more Sunlight Medal for the Warrior of Sunlight covenant but can't for the life of me get summoned :(((((( SL ~160.
Also if you summon a warrior of sunlight and they help you beat the end boss everyone in the party gets one.

BeeDog

we.are.the.armada said:
Have you tried
trading with Snuggly the Crow back at the Asylum?

I'm pretty sure he/she/it can't give you a Sunlight Medal. Or?

johntown said:
Also if you summon a warrior of sunlight and they help you beat the end boss everyone in the party gets one.

I only have the last boss left, so it's not an option right now. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom