• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindlog

So I am in a library...

Standing in front of a dragon (Seath) not taking any damage. My fireballs do damage but he instantly heals. Reading around I am supposed to die here. Lame.
-_-

About the wedding skirt. I wear it with Stone Armor and I think it looks dashing.
It's a warrior robe.

Everyone has their most hated zone. Mine is New Londo. I hate that place.

scy

bigdaddygamebot said:
Where do you get the antiquated outfit from?

Kill the
Hydra and then head along the left wall (where the waterfall is). Don't go up the ladder and just keep going along the wall. You'll see a Crystal Golem at the end. Kill it to free Dusk of Oolacile. Return to the shoreline and summon her (do not need to be in Human form); after that, just return to where the Golem was and the Antiquated Set + Dusk Crown is there.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Booshka said:
There is an Iaito at the start of Blighttown that is awesome as a Lightning Katana.

Considering I aggro'd the main blacksmith guy and still haven't been able to buy absolution yet, I've been neglecting upgrading. What's the most efficient way to make that a lightning katana?

kodt

Banned
Mindlog said:
So I am in a library...

Standing in front of a dragon (Seath) not taking any damage. My fireballs do damage but he instantly heals. Reading around I am supposed to die here. Lame.
-_-

About the wedding skirt. I wear it with Stone Armor and I think it looks dashing.
It's a warrior robe.

Everyone has their most hated zone. Mine is New Londo. I hate that place.

Yeah I happened to find a somewhat safe zone right up close to him, didn't realize I was supposed to die. Stand anywhere else and the crystals kill you fast.

Mindlog

kodt said:
Yeah I happened to find a somewhat safe zone right up close to him, didn't realize I was supposed to die. Stand anywhere else and the crystals kill you fast.
In protest to this boss encounter I have taken off all my armor and weapons. I will be smearing myself with Dung Pies and dying like a man. On my own terms.

x3r0123

John Harker said:
Considering I aggro'd the main blacksmith guy and still haven't been able to buy absolution yet, I've been neglecting upgrading. What's the most efficient way to make that a lightning katana?

hmm only through the anor londo blacksmith

Sotha Sil

Good God, the New Londo ghosts are kicking my ass. Is there any trick here? I've unlocked the shortcut (ladder), but once I get to the building past that point, they just surround me and chain-attack me to death.

Never felt this way since the Capra Demon. Ugh.

johntown

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
Have you seen those stats?!
I could care less about stats.......all that really matters is how badass you look in PVP.

EDIT: which I why I won't wear it because my character will look stupid.

Speevy

Banned
Sotha Sil said:
Good God, the New Londo ghosts are kicking my ass. Is there any trick here? I've unlocked the shortcut (ladder), but once I get to the building past that point, they just surround me and chain-attack me to death.

Yeah, you can't hit them unless you get cursed first. Pick up a transient curse and remember to reapply it when you run out. You shouldn't rush into them because they go through walls and there are tons of them towards the end of the area.

Dresden

Sotha Sil said:

Pop curse and kill them as they come. Try to pull back if they swarm you so they come in a line. A weapon with good reach and sweep helps a lot here.

or you can be like me and just run naked until you reach the end and do
the draining.

Sotha Sil said:

i'm in the exact same position :D i can handle one or two of them, but when you go indoors and they come out of the walls and shit, i'm a goner.

at the moment i'm afraid to go there, don't want to get too far in there and leave a bloodstain with 15 Humanity :E that's a lot to me at lvl 38. and i already lost 17 Humanity once because i glitched through a wall and it pissed me the fuck off.

Dresden said:
Pop curse and kill them as they come. Try to pull back if they swarm you so they come in a line. A weapon with good reach and sweep helps a lot here.

or you can be like me and just run naked until you reach the end and do
the draining.

ahhh yeah, reach!! i tried fighting them with an uchigatana and the jagged ghost blade and now that i think about it, a spear would've been better. Demon Spear +1 works ok on them, i hope?

johntown

Banned
Speevy said:
Yeah, you can't hit them unless you get cursed first. Pick up a transient curse and remember to reapply it when you run out. You shouldn't rush into them because they go through walls and there are tons of them towards the end of the area.
Yeah and they will hit you through the floor, walls and ceiling. Try to lure them off in pairs and deal with them like that.

Zzoram

BomberMouse said:
Lots of work + Blightown = I haven't touched this game in weeks.

Last time I played I beat
Queelag
, is the only way back to climb? the water wheel thing is useless? I remember getting some items but nothing more, I don't have the Master Key.
After climbing up above the waterwheel you should find the new Londo key.

schragnasher

Neo Member
bigdaddygamebot said:
Yeah... : / He damn near spams it sometimes.

I noticed he lets out a shriek though before he does it. He's killed me so many times with it now, I have the timing down and can just roll away from it, although sprinting is less risky.

I once summoned someone at the fog, we went in fell down and i was immediately hit by it and died...was pretty ridiculous. hit Floor, spike, dead...

Sotha Sil

I should have mentioned I actually know how to kill them, hah. It's just awfully hard to find a safe spot to fight them. The firekeeper
is dead, and I think I've missed the opportunity to revive her
, so I think the rage-inducing corpse runs are messing with my faculty of concentration.

Thanks anyway, guys!

astroturfing said:
i'm in the exact same position :D i can handle one or two of them, but when you go indoors and they come out of the walls and shit, i'm a goner.

at the moment i'm afraid to go there, don't want to get too far in there and leave a bloodstain with 15 Humanity :E that's a lot to me at lvl 38. and i already lost 17 Humanity once because i glitched through a wall and it pissed me the fuck off.

The problem is I can't go anywhere else right now; I need to get to the Abyss. Believe me, I've been avoiding this area forever!

Zzoram

Yo Gotti said:
Okay after 2 hours of frustration I decided to try to summon some phantoms for coop. I rarely summon since I hardly ever use humanity period but man when you're truly stuck on a boss there's no better feeling than having some backup.

I summoned a Phantom and Solaire. We took out Smough so fast, I was excited as fuck thinking "there's no way this can go wrong", we were destroying them... yea. Super Orstein is bitch hard on NG+. He took out Solaire first with a short combo, then me and the Phantom are doing okay, we get him down to about 1/5th health and it's looking good. Then he turns to face the Phantom, starts winding up his lightning spear grab and 1 shots this guy in a second. Now it's back to 1 on 1 me VS Orstein. I get a few more hits in, see his lightning spear winding up, badly timed roll... 1 shot killed.

I've made it my goal to beat this guy today, solo or coop, and when I do I'm going to spend the rest of the day just helping guys out VS Smough & Orstein. This is painful.
Did you know that drinking your Estus heals your phantom ally? Keep him topped up if possible so he can help you best.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I've got a confession to make. I got tired of farming for Souvenirs of Reprisal and now I'm invading people with the Fog Ring and Stone Greatsword to get them.

I'm not saying I'm proud of it, I'm just saying that maybe all those sinners out there should have considered the possibility of getting invaded by a walking orgy of pure cheese before they went and got themselves in the Book of the Guilty.

schragnasher said:
I once summoned someone at the fog, we went in fell down and i was immediately hit by it and died...was pretty ridiculous. hit Floor, spike, dead...

yeah...I refuse to waste an attunement slot on fall control for just that aspect of the boss fight.

...fuckers. It's a fair sized damage hit too for the fall so the first thing I'm doing is drinking a flask.

Septimius

Sotha Sil said:
I should have mentioned I actually know how to kill them, hah. It's just awfully hard to find a safe spot to fight them. The firekeeper
is dead, and I think I've missed the opportunity to revive her
, so I think the rage-inducing corpse runs are messing with my faculty of concentration.

Thanks anyway, guys!

How can you miss that opportunity? Doesn't it always work in the great hall in Anor Londo?

bathala

Banned
here's my current get up with Anitquated skirt 404 (153) physical Defense. All armor upgraded. Backflip ring and Steel Protection ring
A57xz.jpg

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Thagomizer said:
On one of my attempts, The last one was the head that comes in sideways and ends up just at the edge of the cliff. I blocked, ran up to do some stabbin', and walked right off the cliff to my death. Was not my proudest moment.
It's okay. This game is full of not-so-proud moments.

Sotha Sil

Septimius said:
How can you miss that opportunity? Doesn't it always work in the great hall in Anor Londo?

Oh wow, that's news to me. Since the orb didn't vibrate after I killed the bosses, I just thought it was too late. Awesome if true, thanks.

Septimius

ixix said:
I've got a confession to make. I got tired of farming for Souvenirs of Reprisal and now I'm invading people with the Fog Ring and Stone Greatsword to get them.

I'm not saying I'm proud of it, I'm just saying that maybe all those sinners out there should have considered the possibility of getting invaded by a walking orgy of pure cheese before they went and got themselves in the Book of the Guilty.

Eh, it's ok. I'm in the book of guilty for the exact reason of people thinking they have a shot at killing me. Of course they don't. Well, unless they slow AoE. In that case I refuse to fight. Fuck that. Everything else is go. The "blast" thing is pretty ridiculous when it takes away half your health, but I can live with it. Fog ring is the least of cheese. Just be warned that I will fog-ring, too, and I've trained it in my fingers and aligned my items so that I can switch rings in about half a second.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Zzoram said:
Did you know that drinking your Estus heals your phantom ally? Keep him topped up if possible so he can help you best.

Yup, we finally did it!

At one point in the fight Ornstein skewered both the phantom AND Solaire in one shot, lol! I thought we were done but somehow they both survived, almost like the damage was split between them. I healed the guy right before and I think after that thankfully.

Soul of Ornstein and Ornsteins armor are mine, now it'll be coop for the rest of the day. Gotta repay the community for getting me through this shit... God damn.

Septimius

bathala said:
here's my current get up with Anitquated skirt 404 (153) physical Defense. All armor upgraded. Backflip ring and Steel Protection ring
A57xz.jpg

That's pretty nice. Except you'll get more out of wearing havel's ring and heavier armor. If that is the armor that you find most aestethically pleasing, then you've hit the sweet spot indeed. I will write up a short summary on my defense analysis in a second, so you lot can make an informed decision of how much HP you're giving up when you're leaving good armor behind because of its looks.

Sotha Sil said:
Oh wow, that's news to me. Since the orb didn't vibrate after I killed the bosses, I just thought it was too late. Awesome if true, thanks.

I should point out that I would GUESS this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was as you say. Good luck, though!

ixix

schragnasher said:

I threw down my soul sign before ever going through that boss' door to get some practice and refill my flasks before I did the fight for real, solo. This exact thing happened the first time I was summoned.

It filled me with a bit more fear of that boss than was entirely warranted, in retrospect.

Sotha Sil

ixix said:

Expect homophobic variations on the word "fog" in your PSN inbox! Boy, some idiots sure don't like that ring.

ixix said:
I threw down my soul sign before ever going through that boss' door to get some practice and refill my flasks before I did the fight for real, solo. This exact thing happened the first time I was summoned.

It filled me with a bit more fear of that boss than was entirely warranted, in retrospect.

Yeah...I'm starting to think that I've built him up in my head far more than he needs to be.

Thagomizer said:
One one of my attempts, The last one was the head that comes in sideways and ends up just at the edge of the cliff. I blocked, ran up to do some stabbin', and walked right off the cliff to my death. Was not my proudest moment.

Heh, yup, exactly the same here, except one head was actually clipping inside the cliff and the other one was landing too far out in the water for me to hit with melee. Had to come back later with some arrows and do it all again.

dewkl said:
Sword of the Great King worth it? What is the best weapon (highest damage) for high strength?

If thats the one you forge with Gwyns soul I wouldn't recommend it, just forged it and it's pretty disappointing. Try the black knight greataxe.

dewkl

Neo Member
Sotha Sil said:
Expect homophobic variations on the word "fog" in your PSN inbox! Boy, some idiots sure don't like that ring.
there's a reason people don't like it. the same reason it's being fixed next patch.

Ill Saint

Can anyone tell me why I was invaded by a blue spirit of revenge (or whatever it's called), when I've never invaded and killed anyone myself?

ixix

Septimius said:
Eh, it's ok. I'm in the book of guilty for the exact reason of people thinking they have a shot at killing me. Of course they don't. Well, unless they slow AoE. In that case I refuse to fight. Fuck that. Everything else is go. The "blast" thing is pretty ridiculous when it takes away half your health, but I can live with it. Fog ring is the least of cheese. Just be warned that I will fog-ring, too, and I've trained it in my fingers and aligned my items so that I can switch rings in about half a second.

I should probably mention I follow up the Stone Greatsword with Crystal Homing Soulmass cast with Tin Crystallization Catalyst, the Dusk Crown, and Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring.

If there are builds out there that can survive it, I have yet to meet one.

Sotha Sil

dewkl said:
there's a reason people don't like it. the same reason it's being fixed next patch.

I've got no problem killing fog-ring users. Using the environment, it's actually pretty easy. What's the upcoming fix?

Ill Saint said:
Can anyone tell me why I was invaded by a blue spirit of revenge (or whatever it's called), when I've never invaded and killed anyone myself?

You were probably in the Darkroot Garden; those are members of the Forest covenant.

Zzoram

Ill Saint said:
Killing your god in Anor Lando also marks you for blue phantom invasion, if you end up doing it.

Zzoram

bigdaddygamebot said:
So...it seems like we're not getting any Halloween love. : /

I haven't heard/read any announcements or such...
Namco Bandai aren't as cool as Atlus.

I don't think they are doing any cool holiday events.

They should grave lord curse everyone for fun.

Septimius

ixix said:
I should probably mention I follow up the Stone Greatsword with Crystal Homing Soulmass cast with Tin Crystallization Catalyst, the Dusk Crown, and Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring.

If there are builds out there that can survive it, I have yet to meet one.

that is the cheesiest you can get without me refusing to fight you, but while I certainly won't survive for long being hit by those things, I most definitely will outroll them with ease.

dewkl

Neo Member
Sotha Sil said:
I've got no problem killing fog-ring users. Using the environment, it's actually pretty easy. What's the upcoming fix?
yes i'm sure you have problems at all. you must be awesome.

it doesn't really matter if you have a problem or not, the remaining 90% playing the game think it's compromising the gameplay and that's why it's being fixed.

as for what they're doing to it, I don't know. but it definitely has something to do with the lock-on.

ixix

Sotha Sil said:

Surprisingly I have yet to get anything like that. It probably helps a lot that with where I'm invading and what level I'm at basically anybody I invade is actively looking for PvP, which is a big part of how I'm rationalizing my brutal exploitation of unbalanced gameplay elements.

I'd never, ever take this build into someone's game if I was invading with the Red Eye Orb.

bathala

Banned
Septimius said:
That's pretty nice. Except you'll get more out of wearing havel's ring and heavier armor. If that is the armor that you find most aestethically pleasing, then you've hit the sweet spot indeed. I will write up a short summary on my defense analysis in a second, so you lot can make an informed decision of how much HP you're giving up when you're leaving good armor behind because of its looks.
well I kinda wanna do my ninja backflip :p

ixix

Septimius said:
that is the cheesiest you can get without me refusing to fight you, but while I certainly won't survive for long being hit by those things, I most definitely will outroll them with ease.

You can't roll while under the effect of the Stone Greatsword. It's Tranquil Walk of Peace for Strength builds.

I don't think there's a single way I could be any more exploitative short of using invincibility and the PvP attack glitch which must not be named.

bathala

Banned
Septimius said:
your <50% will be higher with Havel's, meaning more armor, meaning better defense, while still being able to utilize the dark wood grain ring
well I want to see this armor combination

Carcetti

Sotha Sil said:
My Darkmoon character is lvl 48, so it's a possibility!

That's great! How will I recognize you if we meet? Any particular weapon? If you see a skinny darkwraith woman in bob haircut, with crystallization catalyst and Hollow Shield, you'll know it's me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom