• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Septimius

ixix said:
Surprisingly I have yet to get anything like that. It probably helps a lot that with where I'm invading and what level I'm at basically anybody I invade is actively looking for PvP, which is a big part of how I'm rationalizing my brutal exploitation of unbalanced gameplay elements.

I'd never, ever take this build into someone's game if I was invading with the Red Eye Orb.

Well, sometimes sins can come from nowhere. I was all law-fulfilling, yet I had apparently sinned. So if you had invaded my world at that point, it would've pretty much been the same as a red eye orb. By now, I've been indicted a whole bunch of times, though

bathala said:
well I want to see this armor combination

Then that's awesome :>

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Septimius said:
Well, sometimes sins can come from nowhere. I was all law-fulfilling, yet I had apparently sinned. So if you had invaded my world at that point, it would've pretty much been the same as a red eye orb. By now, I've been indicted a whole bunch of times, though

I'm invading
Dark Anor Londo.
If you're hanging out there at level ~150 in human form, you probably ain't there for the scenery.

Dresden

So two of my characters are in the Darkwraiths but I've never invaded anyone. :lol

Any suggestions for SL86 or so? My SL50 will just head to Anor Londo.

Finally rang the second bell last night! Feelsgoodman.jpg

Blighttown wasn't as bad as it's made up to be. The swamp was annoying at first, but once I finally found a shrine (felt really dumb for not finding that) and knew where to go and just ran through it it was no problem. Like so many people have said, I can now run through B-town and the swamp with my eyes closed at this point. As long as I keep getting a bit farther before each death, its still satisfying (even if I died a good 10-12 times, more than half of those from really dumb falls)

Quelaag
was the hardest boss for me so far. Some of the patterns and tells are subtle, and it took me a while to get the feel of what she was going to do next. But a classic "once you get it, its easy" boss. Took about 10 freaking tries though!

Now I need to figure out where the hell to go next... Gotta get back to Firelink, then ?

So is the second bell like halfway through? I think I'm at about 22 hours, SL 37. Seems about 50%-ish?

Kweh

I am at Queelag's domain, unable to beat her. Is there any route to a blacksmith other than going back all the way I came? My best weapon is almost broken.

Sotha Sil

Carcetti said:
That's great! How will I recognize you if we meet? Any particular weapon? If you see a skinny darkwraith woman in bob haircut, with crystallization catalyst and Hollow Shield, you'll know it's me ;)

I'll be the iaito-weilding pyromancer in gold-hemmed black robes... Wait, that's not original at all. At least I'll now it's you, though :)

Dresden said:
So two of my characters are in the Darkwraiths but I've never invaded anyone. :lol

Any suggestions for SL86 or so? My SL50 will just head to Anor Londo.

I'm seeing a lot of action in Anor Londo at SL85. Seems like theres a lot of NG+ people trying to get help with Smough and Ornstein.

bathala

Banned
I offered 30 Humanity to Chaos covenant and got the pyro spell but the shortcut to Izalith. is still close?

Do i have finish all vessel boss souls first?

Kweh said:
I am at Queelag's domain, unable to beat her. Is there any route to a blacksmith other than going back all the way I came? My best weapon is almost broken.
If you didn't get the repairbox you should get that ASAP. I think you can get it from the Blacksmith in Undead Burg.

You can backtrack, but might also be able to find a shortcut back to Firelink by taking the waterwheel up from the swamp. Think it goes through the Valley of the Drakes?

Kweh

Yeah, I regret not buying the repair box, I thought there would be more blacksmith's around. Is the repair box a 1 time use?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Kweh said:

Back to swamp, up the waterwheel, through a tunnel to Valley of Drakes, through a locked door (you need the master key I think) into New Londo Ruins, up the elevator to Firelink, up the elevator in Firelink to the Undead Church, go to blacksmith.

Buy repair box! It is infinite use, but costs a few souls in proportion to how much worn out your weapon/armor is. 100% worth it.

Zzoram

Kweh said:
Why didn't you buy the repair box that lets you fix weapons at bonfires? Undead burg merchant or undead parish blacksmith sells it.

Is it confirmed that you cannot downgrade crystal weapons?

I want my eagle shield back to being non-crystal but it doesn't seem to be possible.

Tell me I'm missing something, please.

Fong Ghoul said:
Finally rang the second bell last night! Feelsgoodman.jpg

Blighttown wasn't as bad as it's made up to be. The swamp was annoying at first, but once I finally found a shrine (felt really dumb for not finding that) and knew where to go and just ran through it it was no problem. Like so many people have said, I can now run through B-town and the swamp with my eyes closed at this point. As long as I keep getting a bit farther before each death, its still satisfying (even if I died a good 10-12 times, more than half of those from really dumb falls)

Quelaag
was the hardest boss for me so far. Some of the patterns and tells are subtle, and it took me a while to get the feel of what she was going to do next. But a classic "once you get it, its easy" boss. Took about 10 freaking tries though!

Now I need to figure out where the hell to go next... Gotta get back to Firelink, then ?

So is the second bell like halfway through? I think I'm at about 22 hours, SL 37. Seems about 50%-ish?

She was tough for me the first time until I started using my shield a bit better. You probably want to head to Sen's Fortress (across from the bonfire above the first blacksmith). You can explore some other areas, but that is next for the main game. And I think second bell is probably a little less than half depending what else you've done so far.

ixix said:
I've got a confession to make. I got tired of farming for Souvenirs of Reprisal and now I'm invading people with the Fog Ring and Stone Greatsword to get them.

I'm not saying I'm proud of it, I'm just saying that maybe all those sinners out there should have considered the possibility of getting invaded by a walking orgy of pure cheese before they went and got themselves in the Book of the Guilty.

the fog ring doesn't bother me, but isn't the stone greatsword involved in a glitch? if so, then fo shame!

sixghost

bathala said:
here's my current get up with Anitquated skirt 404 (153) physical Defense. All armor upgraded. Backflip ring and Steel Protection ring
A57xz.jpg
Can I ask how you have such high defense with that armor? The guide says Dark armor has much lower defense stats than Steel armor when they're both maxed, but 404 seems like 50-60pts higher than me. Are you just a really high Level, or have points in resistance?
Septimius said:
That's pretty nice. Except you'll get more out of wearing havel's ring and heavier armor. If that is the armor that you find most aestethically pleasing, then you've hit the sweet spot indeed. I will write up a short summary on my defense analysis in a second, so you lot can make an informed decision of how much HP you're giving up when you're leaving good armor behind because of its looks.

I should point out that I would GUESS this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was as you say. Good luck, though!
Do you ever recommend putting points into Resistance? My character is basically all about defense, so I've got 40/40 in END/VIT, and I've just been dumping points into Faith after that. Would I be better served putting points into Resistance?

I know Faith boosts MAG def well.

prodystopian said:
She was tough for me the first time until I started using my shield a bit better. You probably want to head to Sen's Fortress (across from the bonfire above the first blacksmith). You can explore some other areas, but that is next for the main game. And I think second bell is probably a little less than half depending what else you've done so far.
Thanks, yeah I saw Sen's open up in the cutscene - obvious next choice I guess. Just a few other places I haven't explored yet. Might do some poking around before I go there...

ixix

Augemitbutter said:
the fog ring doesn't bother me, but isn't the stone greatsword involved in a glitch? if so, then fo shame!

I'm not using that glitch. Only the Tranquil Walk of Peace effect, which is bad, but not up to the "cannot be defended against save by the invincibility glitch" caliber of the other, much worse way of exploiting that weapon.

sixghost

ixix said:
I'm not using that glitch. Only the Tranquil Walk of Peace effect, which is bad, but not up to the "cannot be defended against save by the invincibility glitch" caliber of the other, much worse way of exploiting that weapon.
Can you PM me and explanation of what you are talking about? I haven't PvP'd yet, and I'd like to know what kind of cheap stuff to look out for.

Zzoram

sixghost said:
Can you PM me and explanation of what you are talking about? I haven't PvP'd yet, and I'd like to know what kind of cheap stuff to look out for.
You being sneaky?

Honestly all of the glitchers can still die if you're patient and wait for the right timing to strike.

bathala

Banned
sixghost said:
Can I ask how you have such high defense with that armor? The guide says Dark armor has much lower defense stats than Steel armor when they're both maxed, but 404 seems like 50-60pts higher than me. Are you just a really high Level, or have points in resistance?

Do you ever recommend putting points into Resistance? My character is basically all about defense, so I've got 40/40 in END/VIT, and I've just been dumping points into Faith after that. Would I be better served putting points into Resistance?

I know Faith boosts MAG def well.
Isn't Resistance mainly for poison stat that's y I left it default.
Antiquated skirt +5 is 62 also I'm wearing a Steel protection ring which boost my DEF

Kalnos

Banned
Sotha Sil said:
Expect homophobic variations on the word "fog" in your PSN inbox! Boy, some idiots sure don't like that ring.

That's because it's lame as fuck? Hurr I'm being invaded I better put on my fog ring, make sure to remove my cloranthy ring, and hide in a dark corner.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Just found out that if you're summoned and the summoner dies, you still get the keep the souls you earned as long as you stay alive.

Very nice.

ixix

sixghost said:

Eh, since it seems to be getting more widespread a vague description of it may not be unwarranted so people know what killed them if they get griefed. I'm not going to explain how to do it, but in very general terms it involves using the infinite spell glitch while equipped with the Stone Greatsword to create an aura around your character which causes near-instant death. The only way to survive is to have the invincibility glitch active when you get caught in it.

sixghost

ixix said:
Eh, since it seems to be getting more widespread a vague description of it may not be unwarranted so people know what killed them if they get griefed. I'm not going to explain how to do it, but in very general terms it involves using the infinite spell glitch while equipped with the Stone Greatsword to create an aura around your character which causes near-instant death. The only way to survive is to have the invincibility glitch active when you get caught in it.
Is it easy to spot them doing it at least? Could you just run and quit back to the menu before dying?
bathala said:
Isn't Resistance mainly for poison stat that's y I left it default.
Antiquated skirt +5 is 62 also I'm wearing a Steel protection ring which boost my DEF
Oh ok, that explains it.

Holy mother of fuck,
did that whole god damned Seigmeyer path up to Izalith and the stupid retard dies to my wrath of the gods in the pit. That is completely lame that you can hit him since there was no precedent for NPCs fighting with you outside of the summon signs which you can NOT hit. You are trained for the whole game not to worry about hitting them in battle, then at the end-- nope! Weak, From, just weak.

Edit:
brb going to kill his stupid whore daughter

ixix

sixghost said:
Is it easy to spot them doing it at least? Could you just run and quit back to the menu before dying?

Oh ok, that explains it.

Here's a quick checklist for knowing if you got glitched:

1. Is the guy who killed you using a Stone Greatsword?
2. Did you explode like a meat balloon as soon as he got close?

If you answer yes to both questions, you got glitched. Explaining any further would make it pretty easy to deduce exactly what to do, and as far as I know there isn't an easily-accessible English-language guide to doing it out there yet and I've got no interest in being the first to write one, even if it is indirectly.

Kalnos

Banned
MomoPufflet said:
You are trained for the whole game not to worry about hitting them in battle, then at the end-- nope! Weak, From, just weak.

Err, you are trained that you can't hit phantoms, not real NPCs.

ElFly said:
God, I am inside the painted world of aramis, and am probably trapped here, until I can go through the level :(

Take your time and get comfortable with the place. I felt the same until I realized it's not as big or tough as I thought.

Zzoram said:
Namco Bandai aren't as cool as Atlus.

I don't think they are doing any cool holiday events.

They should grave lord curse everyone for fun.

You should run Namco Bandai...send them your resume and I'll give you a reference.

anyone else dig the Dingy Robe? :p i upgraded the hell out of it and it seems to have pretty ok stats. better lightning defense than some of the armors i compared it to... and of course poison and curse resistance.

Booshka

So should I wait to kill
Big Hat Logan
until he goes Hollow and goes to the first
Seath
boss encounter area? Or can I kill him now and get the
White Dragon Breath
from him here in the
Archives.
I freed him and bought all the spells he offers, I'm probably going to wait, just want to make sure I don't miss out on killing him later for some stupid reason. I'm pretty sure
White Dragon Breath
is the last Sorcery spell I need.

astroturfing said:
anyone else dig the Dingy Robe? :p i upgraded the hell out of it and it seems to have pretty ok stats. better lightning defense than some of the armors i compared it to... and of course poison and curse resistance.

This has me thinking. Is there a website somewhere that lets you search for armour to use by resistance?

Like...I want Curse Resistance. What armour should I be wearing?

etc...

I know there's the wikis and even my strat guide but well...I suppose I'm a lazy fucker and I'm looking for a way to not have to data-dive.

Dresden

Booshka said:
So should I wait to kill
Big Hat Logan
until he goes Hollow and goes to the first
Seath
boss encounter area? Or can I kill him now and get the
White Dragon Breath
from him here in the
Archives.
I freed him and bought all the spells he offers, I'm probably going to wait, just want to make sure I don't miss out on killing him later for some stupid reason. I'm pretty sure
White Dragon Breath
is the last Sorcery spell I need.
I think you gotta wait,
and waiting until he turns hollow gets you his robes and staff as well.

Deadstar

Any good place to lay down the dragon covenant sign? I left it there for 20 minutes in the darkroot garden and nothing happened. I know people have to choose to use it but I wonder if there is a "dueling" area where all dragon hunters go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom