• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sotha Sil said:
Yep, it's Maiden Astraea all over again. I don't want to kill you, big wolf :(

:( I still remember how I cheesed cowardly with my bow because I couldn't bring myself to get close and actually hit her.

Fucking Sif made me teary eyed, damn.

Deadstar said:
Any good place to lay down the dragon covenant sign? I left it there for 20 minutes in the darkroot garden and nothing happened. I know people have to choose to use it but I wonder if there is a "dueling" area where all dragon hunters go.

Kiln of the First Flame (the last area), right after you descend the ghost steps
is where I see lots of them.

ixix said:
I should probably mention I follow up the Stone Greatsword with Crystal Homing Soulmass cast with Tin Crystallization Catalyst, the Dusk Crown, and Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring.

If there are builds out there that can survive it, I have yet to meet one.

LOL. No mercy in my opinion, I totally support you doing that to invaders. Fuck you if you invade my game while I'm trying to get shit done.

My brother mainly plays a Sorcery build, so he does the Strong Magic Shield invincibility (he doesn't use the infinite use glitch, just the base 3 uses)/Homing Crystal Soulmass/Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring/Moonlight Greatsword to wreck would-be griefers trying to pull some shenanigans. When he's looking for PvP specifically, he doesn't do this. But if some clown jumps in while he's playing the game normally...again, no mercy.

My character's a DEX character, so in the off chance I get invaders I just have to use what I've got, which is my Iaito + 15/Black Bow of Pharis. I don't use any of the cheesy stuff on him, but if I ever got a Fog Ring I'd damn sure use it if invaders came in.

Dresden

I didn't give a shit about Sif, he never made an attempt to talk or whatever, just straight up started off trying to kill you. Same reason why I never felt sympathy for Quelaag after speaking to her sister with the witch's ring.

Priscilla is different because she goes out of her way to avoid fighting... before you stab her in the back for her tail. :(

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Deadstar said:
Any good place to lay down the dragon covenant sign? I left it there for 20 minutes in the darkroot garden and nothing happened. I know people have to choose to use it but I wonder if there is a "dueling" area where all dragon hunters go.

The final area is where people typically go for duels, and the dragon covenant sign is just a slightly fancier duel. You'd probably have the best luck there.

Booshka

Dresden said:
I think you gotta wait,
and waiting until he turns hollow gets you his robes and staff as well.
Thanks, will do.

I also just got extremely lucky and got a Channeler's Trident on my first farming run attempt. I was about to ask what the best run from the bonfire was, then I saw it myself. Climbed back up the ladder, rotated the staircase kill the one up top, go for the second one, killed it, and he dropped it and then the Achievement popped up. For all of you that spent over an hour farming these dudes, I apologize for being so lucky.

Zzoram

Booshka said:
Thanks, will do.

I also just got extremely lucky and got a Channeler's Trident on my first farming run attempt. I was about to ask what the best run from the bonfire was, then I saw it myself. Climbed back up the ladder, rotated the staircase kill the one up top, go for the second one, killed it, and he dropped it and then the Achievement popped up. For all of you that spent over an hour farming these dudes, I apologize for being so lucky.
It took me over 2 hours to get mine farming that spot lol.

Dresden said:
I didn't give a shit about Sif, he never made an attempt to talk or whatever, just straight up started off trying to kill you. Same reason why I never felt sympathy for Quelaag after speaking to her sister with the witch's ring.

Priscilla is different because she goes out of her way to avoid fighting... before you stab her in the back for her tail. :(

Quelaag I don't really care about, even if her sister is good. But Sif man... he was just there, being a loyal (beautiful) Wolf and protecting the place :(

ixix

I just met my first guy able to eat a Homing Crystal Soulmass on the chin without dying. Took off about 75% of his health, but he was still standing. Poor guy was trying to use Chameleon to hide from me at the time. Were I not an old hand at using that trick myself I might even have fallen for it.

Sotha Sil

Dresden said:

He's the keeper of a field of blades. That makes him Dark Souls' Big Boss.

Finally managed to successfully use the blue orb. Just before the Firesage or the Centipede are good places (SL86).

Out of 7 sinners I invaded, 6 used the fog ring and hid behind a pillar waiting for me, not realizing I could still spot them, especially when they wore the coranthy ring.

All fights were quite short. None survived.

If you see an ugly, red-headed braided haired woman rocking a katana and one of the most repulsive set of armour you can imagine (dusk crown + giant armor + smoughs gloves + antiquated skirt), here's a hint : trading blows when greater combustion is on my side will get you killed.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
In the guide's Duke's Archive map, it shows the Maiden Armor set in one of the tower's cells. I'm pretty sure I combed that area and visited every cell, but I don't remember it being there at all. How am I supposed to get it?

Mindlog

People who don't upvote good messages are evil. Here I am walking across
thin air like Indiana Jones and all these messages have 0 votes. I gave a +1 to every message I walked across.
-_-

Jinfash said:
In the guide's Duke's Archive map, it shows the Maiden Armor set in one of the tower's cells. I'm pretty sure I combed that area and visited every cell, but I don't remember it being there at all. How am I supposed to get it?
I just did that part.

At the top of the jail tower there should be some planks to the left. You have to fall off the edge there. You will land on similar planks several levels down. You need to hug the wall, but you can't just run into it or you'll bounce out too far.
brentech said:
Yea, I think the system is messed up still.
I have so many wonderful games to play, but I am going to be very tempted to start a new character once the patch hits.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I always upvote good messages, and downvote bad ones, especially "I can't take this anymore!"

I just can't take those anymore!

brentech

Mindlog said:
People who don't upvote good messages are evil. Here I am walking across [sopiler]thin air like Indiana Jones and all these messages have 0 votes. I gave a +1 to every message I walked across.
Yea, I think the system is messed up still.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Mindlog said:
I just did that part.

At the top of the jail tower there should be some planks to the left. You have to fall off the edge there. You will land on similar planks several levels down. You need to hug the wall, but you can't just run into it or you'll bounce out too far.
Ahhh, thanks you.

(Stupid confusing map, making it seem next to the bonfire!)

Edit:

(It technically is, but still)

Venfayth

Mindlog said:
People who don't upvote good messages are evil. Here I am walking across [sopiler]thin air like Indiana Jones and all these messages have 0 votes. I gave a +1 to every message I walked across.

I +1 ones that are useful. I don't +1 ones that are true and unhelpful. I -1 ones that are wrong, or stupid, or boring (random Praise the sun! or I can't take this anymore!)

Also it's more inconvenient to rate in this game, since you need to pull out your orange crystal.

2AdEPT

Zzoram said:
Once I platinum the game I'll make a character capped at SL30 for PvP or coop I think.

One step closer, finally got the channeler's trident!!

HAve you actully tried the weapon in PVP? DO you do a dance by pressing R2? Apparently this dance helps others get an attack bonus...perhaps why the rats and zombies are so tough near the channeler?!!? Try to find out hwo much bonus people get by messageing them afterwards!!

ixix

I try to be diligent about rating messages, but honestly I'd be lying if I said I didn't start totally slacking off on that front with my second character. I rarely even read messages anymore, truth be told.

So didn't expect Solaria to die at the gargoyle bosses in NG+. He dies just as the last gargoyle dies. Text pops up saying phantom knight Solaire has been vanquished, but I don't see any loot. He didn't drop anything. So is he dead? I didn't get a sunlight medal. I wanted his gear too. Should I have killed him beforehand? Was the only way to get his gear was to kill him instead of getting killed by a boss?

scy

I think -1 is still bugged to give +1. I know I -1'd a message I saw pop up when I was grinding that said "Beware false message" or whatever ... right next to my message ("Imminent Humanity" near the tiny skeletons in the Tomb, for the record). Gave it a negative mark and it went from +0 to +1.

vilmer_

scy said:
I think -1 is still bugged to give +1. I know I -1'd a message I saw pop up when I was grinding that said "Beware false message" or whatever ... right next to my message ("Imminent Humanity" near the tiny skeletons in the Tomb, for the record). Gave it a negative mark and it went from +0 to +1.

This is rather silly :/ Also none of my messages have received any ratings at all, and I have put down tons since the game came out.

PS - Where's the damn patch already lol!

cj_iwakura

One of many things they'll need to fix.

Giving Demon's Souls a little run for the PBWT event, it's hard not to notice some of what Dark Souls lacks, especially in presentation. The little things like 'YOU RECOVERED LOST SOULS' flashing across the screen then zipping away, as opposed to fading in and out.

ixix

zerokoolpsx said:
So didn't expect Solaria to die at the gargoyle bosses in NG+. He dies just as the last gargoyle dies. Text pops up saying phantom knight Solaire has been vanquished, but I don't see any loot. He didn't drop anything. So is he dead? I didn't get a sunlight medal. I wanted his gear too. Should I have killed him beforehand? Was the only way to get his gear was to kill him instead of getting killed by a boss?

They're not dead if they die as a phantom. He'll be there ready to help again when you get to the next boss he lends a hand on. Same goes for if you die to the boss after their phantom is vanquished. You can summon him again once you respawn.

vilmer_ said:
This is rather silly :/ Also none of my messages have received any ratings at all, and I have put down tons since the game came out.

PS - Where's the damn patch already lol!

If you put down tons you're pretty unlikely to get rated. You can only have about 6 or so messages active at once. If you use tons you're probably not leaving them in one place long enough to get rated.

Carcetti

When I sometimes invade Anor Londo, I go into this pitch black world with no bosses alive and some "#% with (always) a Fog Ring trying to kill me as I spawn. What's up with that? They always die to soulmass in the face but it's getting annoying. I don't use Fog Ring or Magic Shield as an invader anymore myself but I'm starting to get tempted.

Acullis said:
Also it's more inconvenient to rate in this game, since you need to pull out your orange crystal.

Yeah, I wish they just made it R3. It seems like a JP design thing to need to have it be an item in the game doing it rather than a seamless feature. I mean, they could still have it be an item but let you bind it to R3 but oh well.

2AdEPT

bathala said:
Isn't Resistance mainly for poison stat that's y I left it default.
Antiquated skirt +5 is 62 also I'm wearing a Steel protection ring which boost my DEF
Its for poison and bleed, which are in turn also influenced by endurance.....every time you put a level on you increase your various global defenses anyway so better off putting it in magic or for stat bonuses on your weapons. When you enter the level raising screen you can see the increases you are about to do in blue so toggle through all three screens using the triangle button to see the hypothetical raises each choice will do. Endurance obviously influiences the most areas...and as such is the most important to raise likely.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Has anyone posted a good armor/weapon set-up that takes you to just under 50% with end of 40? Mostly curious because I've been trying to stay under 25% but just got the Dark Wood Grain Ring. I don't think 25% means anything once you have that.

Primarily a dex melee build (with some pyro):
20 str
32 dex
40 end

Also, does anyone know of a site that has calculated the dps of the various weapons. I've seen the one that shows the damage per hit but without taking weapon speed into account...its fairly meaningless.

astroturfing said:
anyone else dig the Dingy Robe? :p i upgraded the hell out of it and it seems to have pretty ok stats. better lightning defense than some of the armors i compared it to... and of course poison and curse resistance.
love my dingy robe, bro. I only have it at +2 right now but I don't see myself changing anytime soon.

Mindlog

Honestly, I don't upvote very often either ;] Just the Indiana Jones stuff.
scy said:
I still get a chuckle out of the 'Illusory Wall' messages in front of real walls. I once saw ghost whaling away at a wall while I was sorting my equipment.

offtopic said:
Has anyone posted a good armor/weapon set-up that takes you to just under 50% with end of 40? Mostly curious because I've been trying to stay under 25% but just got the Dark Wood Grain Ring. I don't think 25% means anything once you have that.
There have been a few weight/protection sets posted. The most common I have seen is.
Gold Hem/Royal Helm
Elite Knight
Hard Leather Gauntlets
Antiquated Dress

All fully upgraded. Hollow shield fully upgraded is amazing for its weight.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32156028&postcount=8509

bathala

Banned
offtopic said:

20 str
32 dex
40 end

Also, does anyone know of a site that has calculated the dps of the various weapons. I've seen the one that shows the damage per hit but without taking weapon speed into account...its fairly meaningless.
here's my set up.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32224214&postcount=10323
I switched between quelag furysword and drake 5+
Also I just switched to a Hollow shield +10

Acullis said:
I +1 ones that are useful. I don't +1 ones that are true and unhelpful. I -1 ones that are wrong, or stupid, or boring (random Praise the sun! or I can't take this anymore!)

That's why I keep it equipped at all times... I only use my flasks and orange stone 100% of the time. The rest, I just equip according to the circumstances. I don't like having things equipped just in case I use them without noticing :p

test_account

XP-39C²
I beat the game tonight! :D But now that i'm playing it again on NG+, what do i have to do to get the (ending spoiler)
other ending? I got the Link The Fire (or something like that) ending.

cj_iwakura

test_account said:
I beat the game tonight! :D But now that i'm playing it again on NG+, what do i have to do to get the (ending spoiler)
other ending? I got the Link The Fire (or something like that) ending.

Leave the way you came.

Carcetti

Sotha Sil said:
I'll be the iaito-weilding pyromancer in gold-hemmed black robes... Wait, that's not original at all. At least I'll now it's you, though :)

Haha, yeah. I'm so excited at the idea of meeting another gaffer in the game that I actually took a shot of how I look. Lower part that I managed to crop off somehow is the antiquated skirt.

B2u9Il.jpg

2AdEPT

offtopic said:

20 str
32 dex
40 end

I'm guesing the that since the speed of attack is depended on other things besides the weapon itself, like equip load etc. the sites leave it up to the player to determine the usefulness of a weapon given yuor playstyle. THat' s why the LS spear, and other dex weapons are so awesome for people that like to move around, and big ass swords etc are good for tanks... stuff like the Server and Cursed Artorias greatsowrd are intended to be dualsport or "crossover" weapons....you be the judge whether they are the best of both worlds, or the master of none!

Risk Breaker said:
Soooo uuuh... Hollow Soldier Shield +10 for the Crystal Ring Shield? Y/N

Dunno what else I can make with the Butterfly soul but I just leveled up the shield. It's pretty hard to find Large Shards :/

No, it's not. :)

I'm sure someone else covered this, but:

You either (1) use "Frosty's patented" farming method to earn enough cash for 4.5 shards bought from the merchent in Sen's (per run), or (2) go farm the slugs in the blighttown swamp with the gold serpent ring (and as much humanity as you can muster) and you'll get 5 green shards/1 large shard at a rate of about 3 per trip with 3-5k souls as well.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I decided to try some pvp but I'm pretty much getting my ass handed to me. I'm a Faith build and it's a lot weaker in this game than it was in Demon's Souls. No hp regen and shitty scaling. Any recommendations on weapons?

Dresden

I've only seen one other person using the Sage Robe, and that was because he was some kind of a weird Big Hat Logan roleplayer pvping like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom