• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Carcetti said:
When I sometimes invade Anor Londo, I go into this pitch black world with no bosses alive and some "#% with (always) a Fog Ring trying to kill me as I spawn. What's up with that? They always die to soulmass in the face but it's getting annoying. I don't use Fog Ring or Magic Shield as an invader anymore myself but I'm starting to get tempted.

You're invading
the world of someone who killed Gwynevere. Killing her makes the world go dark and causes members of the Blade of the Darkmoon to invade the killer's world. People who want to do a lot of PvP kill her then just hang out waiting for invaders. Dark Anor Londo is the best place for invasion PvP, much like the final area is the best place for dueling PvP.

sixghost

offtopic said:
Has anyone posted a good armor/weapon set-up that takes you to just under 50% with end of 40? Mostly curious because I've been trying to stay under 25% but just got the Dark Wood Grain Ring. I don't think 25% means anything once you have that.

Primarily a dex melee build (with some pyro):
20 str
32 dex
40 end

Also, does anyone know of a site that has calculated the dps of the various weapons. I've seen the one that shows the damage per hit but without taking weapon speed into account...its fairly meaningless.
Are you using either Lautrec's or Havel's ring? At 40 END with Lautrec's ring, the Steel set with Elite Knight Helm brings you in just under 50% depending on your weapon/shield.

tokkun

Fair number of people summoning help for 4 Kings don't seem to know you need to equip Covenant of Artorias :/

Wish you could text.

Beats

Jinfash said:
omgomgomg

The trip to Blue Titanite Slab in the Crystal Cave was nerve wracking, ughhhh.

I did that just now. I ended up using 20ish prism stones :|

Also: It's funny to see how many people die to Seath (I'm assuming those crystallized bodies are dead people)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Jinfash said:
omgomgomg

I made it, there and back safely, but died at the final stretch of the cave. You know, the simple, straight invisible bridge.

Hnnnnnnnnnnng.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
tokkun said:
Fair number of people summoning help for 4 Kings don't seem to know you need to equip Covenant of Artorias :/

Wish you could text.

I had to stop helping people with that area because this happens so often and it breaks my heart every time.

The worst was a dude who changed basically every single piece of equipment he had on before jumping, but apparently forgot the ring and died instantly. Damned near brought me to tears, it did.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Jinfash said:
I made it, there and back safely, but died at the final stretch of the cave. You know, the simple, straight invisible bridge.

Hnnnnnnnnnnng.
lol the exact same thing happened to me

scy

ixix said:
I had to stop helping people with that area because this happens so often and it breaks my heart every time.

The worst was a dude who changed basically every single piece of equipment he had on before jumping, but apparently forgot the ring and died instantly. Damned near brought me to tears, it did.

I did that once. It made me laugh at myself for a good 5 minutes.

I proceeded to forget the ring on the very next trip.

bone_and_sinew

Beats said:
I did that just now. I ended up using 20ish prism stones :|

Also: It's funny to see how many people die to Seath (I'm assuming those crystallized bodies are dead people)
I did a lot of co-op there to farm (40k souls a pop if you haven't beaten him yourself, 20k after) and to get Sunlight Medals for the Great Lightning miracle. Most people try to attack him from behind and get slaughtered by his tails. The best way is to fight him head on and just back away from his beam.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
sixghost said:
I must have used 50 prism stones along the way.

I just put on favor armor and the dress and I didn't use one stone.
I also have the gargoyle tail as a weapon so that helped also

bone_and_sinew said:
I decided to try some pvp but I'm pretty much getting my ass handed to me. I'm a Faith build and it's a lot weaker in this game than it was in Demon's Souls. No hp regen and shitty scaling. Any recommendations on weapons?

I have a heavy armor cleric type and I just use a Fire Gargoyle Axe+10. It does good damage on pretty much every kind of enemy and can break guards. It's not very clericy but From sort of screwed us on the one-handed hammers (no selection and they all pretty much suck). The Crescent Axe +5 is actually pretty good even with the shitty scaling-- the damage is comparable to to my gargoyle with faith around 36. When/if they fix scaling it will be even better.

Just got through the upper part of Blighttown & got all the items in one go after dying 9 times straight from the start of it!

I used both a video guide & the strategy guide hand in hand for every section (was not going to risk a lucky guess on the jump to get the whip by myself), but I got through it all & I didn't even lose my humanity that I used to kindle the bonfire.

Feels good man
imgJohn%20Goodman5.jpg

Now to NEVER EVER EVER come back to that area every again.

bigdaddygamebot said:
I'm almost forty years old with a wife and a daughter. Pride is simply a memory now...

It could just be a cock-ring that my character wears and I'd be fine with it.

Havel
for heavy builds and
Gwyn
for light
Gwyn
has the highest by far though.

Edit:

oh derp, you are probably not at the part where you can get either of those

bone_and_sinew

bigdaddygamebot said:
So that's the "antiquated" outfit you were speaking of earlier?

I am assuming it needs to be upgraded to reach maximum efficacy?
Best curse combo without upgrades on your first playthrough:

Xanthous Crown
Dingy Robe
Antiquated Gloves
Antiquated Dress

Never even got close to getting curse by Seath, never had to use Bloodshield or cursebite ring either. I used Eagle Shield to withstand his tail swipes, pyromancy on right hand.

bigdaddygamebot said:
So that's the "antiquated" outfit you were speaking of earlier?

I am assuming it needs to be upgraded to reach maximum efficacy?

Antiquated is the set by the Hydra, yes. Even upgraded, the skirt gives you +78 Curse resistance and the whole set gives you +140, the downside being that you are wearing a frilly dress.

EDIT: AARRRGGGHHH WHAT HAPPENED TO JOHN GOODMAN'S LEFT EYE

Septimius

sixghost said:
Do you ever recommend putting points into Resistance? My character is basically all about defense, so I've got 40/40 in END/VIT, and I've just been dumping points into Faith after that. Would I be better served putting points into Resistance?

I know Faith boosts MAG def well.

There is a point of diminishing returns with VIT, isn't there? At that point, it could easily be that you get more "total vit" (ie, how many times you actually can be hit by something of x strength) by increasing RES over VIT. I am in the final stages of calculating AR vs def, but it's looking very simple

At this point, I have

damage + (def / 2) = AR + (x / 2), where x is a static addition to all def.
Re-arranged, that's: damage = AR * (which attack you're doing, 1 for normal, near 2 for katanas R2 etc - this seems to be based on animation length) - ([def - x] / 2)

Next step will be to make a new char to check what that x is when I get a low enough res.

Simply, when !(AR >> def) or !(AR << def), you can think of 1 point in RES to reduce 0.5 damage. I will get back to how it scales with insane AR (as in, should you have more MAG res or higher vit against a crazy mage that can kill you with one spell)

bone_and_sinew

MomoPufflet said:
I have a heavy armor cleric type and I just use a Fire Gargoyle Axe+10. It does good damage on pretty much every kind of enemy and can break guards. It's not very clericy but From sort of screwed us on the one-handed hammers (no selection and they all pretty much suck). The Crescent Axe +5 is actually pretty good even with the shitty scaling-- the damage is comparable to to my gargoyle with faith around 36. When/if they fix scaling it will be even better.
Are Divine Great Sword and Great axe any decent?

NG+++, still no Symbol of Avarice nor Spiked Shield drop (well not even the Sack but someone gave me one).

Will finish that playthrough tomorrow and move on to NG++++ to try one more time ;_;

Haunted

Dark Souls plays on default like other games play during low-level runs.

I guess that's one of the reasons why I'm hearing from several people that they enjoy the game significantly more when they're "overleveled" (from the inifinite souls glitch). Reminds me of Red Faction: Guerilla in that regard.

Soulhouf

bone_and_sinew

InternHertz said:
NG+++, still nor Spiked Shield drop (well not even the Sack but someone gave me one).

Will finish that playthrough tomorrow and move on to NG++++ to try one more time ;_;
Have you tested this? It's worth a shot:
Dark Souls wikispace said:
If you did not kill him in the depths before the gaping dragon fight, but got him the second time in the demon ruins, you can absorb his humanity, but he drops no loot.
His third appearance, if you kill him in Lost Izalith and you have killed him in the demon ruins, but not the depths, he will drop both his barbed sword and spiked shield.

bone_and_sinew said:
Are Divine Great Sword and Great axe any decent?

Right now, divine weapons are really bad outside of killing skeletons in Catacombs. The fire mod is much better until/if they patch the stat-scaling and divine damage. I don't have much experience with the lightning mods outside of crossbows.

what's this Covenant of Artorias?
ok.. hmm.... without it you just DIE without any chance at the New Londo Ruins boss? WTF. how are you supposed to figure that out? i don't have it and i tried beating the level the other day for a long time..... and to know that if i had even survived to the boss i wouldn't have had any chance because i've missed an item no one in the game world has mentioned to me. what? how? why?

Zzoram said:
Best game ever.

I didn't realize this until I played offline (since yesterday, my router has refused to assign my Xbox an IP address for no discernible reason and I haven't been able to fix it) and I realized that the statues in the areas that the basilisks spawn were absent. It's a neat little detail.

Booshka

astroturfing said:
what's this Covenant of Artorias?
ok.. hmm.... without it you just DIE without any chance at the New Londo Ruins boss? WTF. how are you supposed to figure that out? i don't have it and i tried beating the level the other day for a long time..... and to know that if i had even survived to the boss i wouldn't have had any chance because i've missed an item no one in the game world has mentioned to me. what? how? why?
The guy that gives you the Key to
drain
the New Londo ruins mentions it. Unless you kill him that is.

Zzoram

test_account said:
I beat the game tonight! :D But now that i'm playing it again on NG+, what do i have to do to get the (ending spoiler)
other ending? I got the Link The Fire (or something like that) ending.
Don't
light the bonfire and just leave

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
When was about to face Seath, I had every intention to cut his tail, so I equipped the Curebite Ring and my heaviest armor and marched in. But when the actual fight started
(after destroying the crystal heart)
, and I saw his attacks, I said fuck it, hugged the thing, and cast every pyromancy I had. All while taking the beam/curse damage.

But thanks to the ring, I killed him first. Feels good man.

But I missed the tail drop. Feels bad man.

Booshka said:
The guy that gives you the Key to
drain
the New Londo ruins mentions it. Unless you kill him that is.

ahh ok i didn't get that far because of a pack of angry ghosts :p i guess i'll just try to get as far as the boss fog and then turn back. i just want to farm the Darkwraiths for Titanite Chunks :(

bone_and_sinew

MomoPufflet said:
Right now, divine weapons are really bad outside of killing skeletons in Catacombs. The fire mod is much better until/if they patch the stat-scaling and divine damage. I don't have much experience with the lightning mods outside of crossbows.
Damn, well I guess I'll stick to co-op until the patch arrives. It's really disappointing to hear that.

Wallachia

Thagomizer said:
I didn't realize this until I played offline (since yesterday, my router has refused to assign my Xbox an IP address for no discernible reason and I haven't been able to fix it) and I realized that the statues in the areas that the basilisks spawn were absent. It's a neat little detail.

Right. Poor, cursed souls. Literally..

Jinfash said:
When was about to face Seath, I had every intention to cut his tail, so I equipped the Curebite Ring and my heaviest armor and marched in. But when the actual fight started
(after destroying the crystal heart)
, and I saw his attacks, I said fuck it, hugged the thing, and cast every pyromancy I had. All while taking the beam/curse damage.

But thanks to the ring, I killed him first. Feels good man.

But I missed the tail drop. Feels bad man.

I gave up pretty quickly. The stress from Archives and Caves made me unwilling to drag it out anymore.

Jinfash said:
omgomgomg

Oddly enough, I was able to do it using the droppy orbs and didn't fall once. I promptly used homeward to avoid the return trip though. :D

On the subject of Seath's tail, if you're a warrior mage, holy shit. That moonlight greatsword is NIIIIICE.

Getsuga Tensh&#333;!!!!!

bone_and_sinew said:
Damn, well I guess I'll stick to co-op until the patch arrives. It's really disappointing to hear that.

Yeah, I went for divine mods to stay in line with my character and was pretty let down. Sucks that there's no visual effect for it either... They could have added some sparkles or something.

So, what's the deal with the tail axe? A boss weapon that does less damage than the mob axe, with a crappy reach despite its length due to the bending, and gives you three status effect bars?

Am I missing something here, or is this supposed to be a gag weapon?

Booshka

I was surprised at how weak
Seath's
"gut" is, I tried just going two-handed on him and whacked the shit out of it. Was able to do a few 2500 damage combos and finish him pretty easily. He's pretty clueless when you have the Slumbering dragoncrest ring on.

Thagomizer said:
So, what's the deal with the tail axe? A boss weapon that does less damage than the mob axe, with a crappy reach despite its length due to the bending, and gives you three status effect bars?

Am I missing something here, or is this supposed to be a gag weapon?

3 status effect bars? Which tail axe? The Dragon King? The Gargoyle? The Demon?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What are the required Souls to complete the Lordvessel?

I defeated the Four Kings, then Seath, so I'm the next targets are Witch of Izalith and...?

Which of the next two target should I complete first, and are there any necessary item to traverse both areas?

MomoPufflet said:
I gave up pretty quickly. The stress from Archives and Caves made me unwilling to drag it out anymore.
A-freaking-men brotha.

corrosivefrost said:
Oddly enough, I was able to do it using the droppy orbs and didn't fall once. I promptly used homeward to avoid the return trip though. :D

On the subject of Seath's tail, if you're a warrior mage, holy shit. That moonlight greatsword is NIIIIICE.

Getsuga Tensh&#333;!!!!!
I'm not playing a mage, but the Sword looks sweet ;_;

bathala said:
man this game just makes ur heart pumping.

Just beat Tomb of the Giants boss without death

Had that feeling with Blighttown too.

BTW does anyone know that spell that was mentioned earlier in this thread? The one about a Magical Shield spell that makes you impervious to any damage.

I bought that spell from the guy at the Fireshrine, but all it does it light up my shield, I still took damage from enemies.

Is there another shield spell in the game?

Jinfash said:
What are the required Souls to complete the Lordvessel?

I defeated the Four Kings, then Seath, so I'm the next targets are Witch of Izalith and...?

Which of the next two target should I complete first, and are there any necessary item to traverse both areas?

Gravelord Nito

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom