• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendelrt

Varna said:
I died there too. Lucky for me I had spent all my souls. Next time I went in I just ran for it. NO way I was fighting all of those bastards.

I actually died and was like hmmm i saw 4, i can do that. Went back jumped down melted 4 of them and then WAM oh god there is 5! Melted his ass, then WAM WAM in my back OH JESUS....YOU HAVE DIED...... :(

Varna said:
I died there too. Lucky for me I had spent all my souls. Next time I went in I just ran for it. NO way I was fighting all of those bastards.

It took me a few attempts but I managed to thin out their numbers by raining down the fireball spells to the point where there was only a few left.

Jinfash said:
Ah yes. The Catacombs I presume.

Wasn't there a spell that would help until I find the Lantern, or is that unnecessary until I reach the Tomb of the Giants?

Go do demon's ruins first and don't go to Tomb of the Giants until you get the sunlight maggot from Lost Izalith.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Huh. It's possible to have a Darkmoon invader and a Darkwraith invader in a world at the same time. I kind of wonder what happened from the Darkwraith's perspective when I killed both him and the host at practically the same time.

From my perspective, of course, it was just a matter of killing two birds filthy sinners with one stone soulmass.

mrgone said:
So far I have:
-Been kicked off a cliff and ended up getting killed by the hollow clerics
-Killed the clerics only to be killed by three of those skeleton centipede things that all bodyslammed me at the same time out of nowhere
-Wandered for what feels like 10 minutes trying to find lady down there again to no avail
-Found some kind of skull lizard thing that's sent me sailing off a cliff (I havn't found my way back there yet)
-Slid down a ladder to get attacked by no less than four of those giant skeletons at the same time in a confined space. I can find my way back there, but I die every time.

Not that bad!

I know...awesome right?? :D

Do it piecemeal. There are LOTS of things to discover but the two bonfires in the level make it really easy to just go out...run a quick mission to square away one part of the level, then head back, rest and go out again.

You really need to take your time and be systematic about it.

I was in the same place. That level was fucking me SO hard and now...I run through it. I literally run through it, with the lantern held, avoiding monsters so I can farm the skelly-babies right before the final boss.

TAKE YOUR TIME...and don't pussy out. It's winding up to be one of my favourite levels.

Septimius

Now, the problem with resistance is that it is a baseline deduction off of damage. We know some things about it. First some terms

AR = Attack Rating
mod = a modifier of how strong the attack is. It seems this is based on the animation speed difference between an R1 and R2 attack.
base damage = AR * mod (so R1 means that base damage = AR)

dmg = base damage - ([<appropriate defence> + 10(?)] / 2)

Here I suggest +10 for simplicity, I am currently calculating the actual value for this, it seems to be a bit elusive. There is an 'offset' in defense, though, that's for sure.

We know when AR << def (read as 'very much smaller'), it starts 'bottoming out' in a way that can simply be considered an 1 / x function. It approaches 0, but veeery slowly. I saw the non-linearity kick in when def got close to 1.5x AR. I have yet to test the bottom of that scale. That means when AR >> def, it might boost the negation. But I doubt that.

So resistance seems linear when
def/AR = X
0 < X < AR*1.5

How much does health vs resistance help in PvP. Here's the case of me PvPing myself:

I have 1066 HP. My weapon has an AR of 250 in both phy and lightning. My slash resistance with this armor is 396, and my lightning res is 321. 250 AR vs 396 in DEF - we're in the non-linear territory, but my testing tells me that this gives a phy damage of ~65. 250 AR vs 321 lightning DEF gives dmg of 85

Each attack does 150 dmg to myself. As a side-note to myself, my Queelag's would've done 216 damage to myself (Flame DEF of 292). If I'm correct. Hmm.

What's interesting seeing here is that if I'm up against a heavily armed opponent, I should use a weapon that has high AR versus one stat (like the Queelag has 336 AR vs flame), because more damage will get through in the end, even though both swords have near the exact same total AR.

So, furthermore, I would've survived 7.1 R1 hits from myself. Now I remove my Smough's helm an put on Mask of a Mother. I have now 1225 HP and 356 phy DEF and 308 lightning DEF

Total attack: 165
I would've survived: 7.4 hits. This means that getting more HP from this mask is better than getting more resistance.

Before I could've taken 4.9 hits from Queelag's, and now 5.3.

Favor's Ring seems to be better than Havel's, because the loss of resistance through the heavy equipment is negated by more HP. Negated and then some.

What about the case of insanely strong attacks?:

We've all been hit by attacks that take away half our damage, via magic or huge weapons, or bosses. Let's look at what their AR normally is. Let's assume they do 1 damage type, and that we have a resistance of 300. Half my damage is 500 HP. The base damage of the attack has to be 650. Let's assume we have half the resistance, but the base damage is the same. That gives us dmg = AR - (def + 10) / 2 = 650 - 80 = 570

We see that halving the resistance doesn't mean the attack will do twice the damage. Actually, staying light against hard hitting opponents seem to be key, because we can evade better.

What about normal hitters? Say they have an AR of 400, and we have a res of 300, that means a damage of 250. Half your res - 150, and the attack does 325. You can survive probably as many super-hard hitting magics with low res, but aside from non-super heavy weapons and insane magic, weapons that have near the same base damage that you have RES, you will have a pretty big benefit from resistance.

tl;dr: Against insanely hard hitting opponents, resistance is pretty moot. An attack that does half your HP with some resistance means that it'll probably do about 10% more damage with half that resistance. Against normally hard hitting enemies doing a tenth of your HP, half the resistance can easily mean 50% harder attack, meaning you won't be able to survive 10 attacks, but only 7.5. Resistance is good versus either katana/spear/etc opponents in PvP, or normal enemies in the game, but against mages, heavy weapon users and bosses, you're much better off with high HP. In my ramblings above, even using my katana against myself would mean that I'd survive longer with the Mask of a Mother than any helmet. Remember that VIT is effectively a non-linear increase to ALL resistances, and it gives more resistance the harder the opponent hits.

Should you increase RES or VIT? Resistance increases by half a point per level anyway, increasing RES gives an additional half a point. Increasing my VIT from 29 to 30 gives me 33 VIT, and from 30 to 31 gives me 22.5 - but half a resistance will take away .25 damage per hit. That means I have to be hit 132 times per health bar for it to be better. If I add 8 levels to resistance, that will give me 4 more resistance. Against a 400 base damage, with a res of 400 / 404 res, that will decrease my damage by 2. RES is not worth it (though it gives good poison resistance)

Haunted said:
whatever did the most dps across a stamina bar.

I now have the Greatsword of Artorias after beating Sif, which does so much more dps + stagger than any other weapon I have (Drake Sword and Lightning Spear until that point), it's quite frankly, ridiculous.

I just beat him and didn't get that... :(

mrgone

bigdaddygamebot said:
I know...awesome right?? :D

Do it piecemeal. There are LOTS of things to discover but the two bonfires in the level make it really easy to just go out...run a quick mission to square away one part of the level, then head back, rest and go out again.

You really need to take your time and be systematic about it.

I was in the same place. That level was fucking me SO hard and now...I run through it. I literally run through it, with the lantern held, avoiding monsters so I can farm the skelly-babies right before the final boss.

TAKE YOUR TIME...and don't pussy out. It's winding up to be one of my favourite levels.
The only lantern I have doesn't actually provide any light :( Downward pathways become scary leaps of faith when you can only see one step ahead of you at any given time. I'm at the second bonfire, but it's even a twistier mess of passages now. Those skeleton bears are a huge pain when you can't sidestep for fear of walking off a cliff, and that black knight jerk decided to jump off a cliff so I couldn't loot his stupid corpse for his amazing treasure.

Hey, can I go back and kill that guy that kicked me off a cliff without harming my playthrough (any more than I already have)? I really want to do that.

edit: I cracked the code and equipped the lantern to my left hand. Oh god.

tokkun

ixix said:
Huh. It's possible to have a Darkmoon invader and a Darkwraith invader in a world at the same time. I kind of wonder what happened from the Darkwraith's perspective when I killed both him and the host at practically the same time.

From my perspective, of course, it was just a matter of killing two birds filthy sinners with one stone soulmass.

I just got done with a session where I was doing co-op with two dudes, we got invaded, and in the middle of all of it, got Gravelord cursed.

Online will be sweet in this game once they work out the issues with connectivity and server population.

Just lost 3 humanity and 11,000 souls in Valley of Drakes to the Undead dragon+ falling into the elevator shaft because I forgot that the lift was at the bottom.

...I'm calling it a night.

Sullichin

Thagomizer said:
Just lost 3 humanity and 11,000 souls in Valley of Drakes to the Undead dragon+ falling into the elevator shaft because I forgot that the lift was at the bottom.

the worst deaths in this game are when you feel really confident and then you do something retarded. happens all the time :(

bloodstains is the best feature in these games. i saw a message saying "treasure ahead" right before a pit. 5 minutes later i walk back there and see a bloodstain. now guess where it went.

Sullichin said:
the worst deaths in this game are when you feel really confident and then you do something retarded. happens all the time :(

The best part was that not five minutes before, I had curbstomped three stone giants at once without any of them touching me. I felt like such a badass, especially since the last time I'd fought them I was half the SL and they would completely wreck my shit. Revenge tastes sweet.

...and then I fall to my death in an elevator.

ixix

Poor Resistance. It was already regarded as a largely useless stat, and now its awfulness is being mathematically proven.

tokkun said:
I just got done with a session where I was doing co-op with two dudes, we got invaded, and in the middle of all of it, got Gravelord cursed.

Online will be sweet in this game once they work out the issues with connectivity and server population.

Oh my word. Then the real question now is if you can have a Darkmoon invader, a Darkwraith invader, and a Gravelord curse active all at once. And if so, are the phantoms spawned by the Gravelord hostile to the invader phantoms?

Having Darkmoon and Darkwraith phantoms hostile to one another is already pretty awesome, but being able to get a full-blown four-way battle royale going in someone's world would be glorious.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
ixix said:
Poor Resistance. It was already regarded as a largely useless stat, and now its awfulness is being mathematically proven.

Oh my word. Then the real question now is if you can have a Darkmoon invader, a Darkwraith invader, and a Gravelord curse active all at once. And if so, are the phantoms spawned by the Gravelord hostile to the invader phantoms?

Having Darkmoon and Darkwraith phantoms hostile to one another is already pretty awesome, but being able to get a full-blown four-way battle royale going in someone's world would be glorious.
This just makes me lament more the fact that there are so many covenants and some are so pointless. They did a good job with the narrative of making everything revolve around the 3 lords, they should've cut the fat from the covenants and make only 3 covenants, one revolve around each. It'd certainly enhance the community with people sticking to a covenant.

sixghost

bone_and_sinew said:
This just makes me lament more the fact that there are so many covenants and some are so pointless. They did a good job with the narrative of making everything revolve around the 3 lords, they should've cut the fat from the covenants and make only 3 covenants, one revolve around each. It'd certainly enhance the community with people sticking to a covenant.
Sign me up for furtive pygmy covenant.

Septimius

Varna said:
Meh.. seems about as useless as str/dex after 20... :(

Seriously?

Sure, if you think running around with a Lightning <weapon> +5 is the best end-game equipment, then sure. At 30 DEX or STR, most good weapons out-perform lightning weapons. A Normal +15 weapon is better than lightning +5 at 40 DEX, and Quelaag's Furysword will do near twice the damage. If you say it's useless, you're saying all other stats than END and VIT are useless after 20.

Varna said:
Meh.. seems about as useless as str/dex after 20... :(
Yeah pretty much... except being able to wield a fully upped fire/lightning demon great hammer dishes out some crazy damage. lol...

So after all this math talk it seems that endurance/str/dex should only take the amount of points need to wield your desired weapon at the movement speed that you want. Armor is a minor detail, but health is where it is at.

Kind of sad because I am running 66 endurance, havel's ring, and the mask of the father to do what I'm doing. I have under 25% equip load, maxed Black Iron Chest, maxed Giant's Gloves, and maxed Antiquated skirt resulting in pretty near the highest resistance you can get through each armor slot minus the helm (smough's chest is about the same as the black iron chest). I'm also two-handing a maxed fire zwiehander for some fun and insane damage for my 19 str (I really like the amount of stagger the zwiehander causes), holding a grass crest shield on my back for the stamina regen. And I've got the cloranthy ring for the stamina regen as well. So I've got max stamina, max movement speed, about maxed armor resistance, and almost maxed stamina regen (only way it could be better is with the mask of the child).

ixix

Alright, 16 Souvenirs of Reprisal gained through PvP. Not bad for an evening's work.

For anybody who wants to rank up in Blade of the Darkmoon without grinding, put the Darkmoon Covenant Ring on. 15 of my invasions tonight came from that ring, and only 3 came from the Blue Eye Orb. If you can deal with the fact that you're going to be fighting people kitted out and actively looking for PvP it's both faster and more entertaining than harpy farming. And more importantly you can actually play the game while waiting to be summoned to make the guilty pay the price.

Also worth noting is that, if you're fast, once you get the notification that you're being called upon to carry out your grim task you can swap the ring for a different one before moving to the sinner's world. I kept my Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring on for running around doing PvE and swapped the Covenant ring out for the Fog Ring when I got the notification that I was being summoned.

bone_and_sinew said:

Some of the Covenants do seem rather redundant, yeah. I can't really figure out what the Way of White and Princess Guard even do, especially considering
that it's the Blades of the Darkmoon and not the Princess Guard who get called to go after people who kill Gwynevere.

One thing that I think would be pretty neat is if there were a Covenant that could counter-invade. Like if joining the Warriors of Sunlight got you a ring that you could put on, and when somebody invaded a fellow Warrior of Sunlight you could be automatically called to help them if they didn't already have two co-op partners.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Septimius said:
Seriously?

Sure, if you think running around with a Lightning <weapon> +5 is the best end-game equipment, then sure. At 30 DEX or STR, most good weapons out-perform lightning weapons. A Normal +15 weapon is better than lightning +5 at 40 DEX, and Quelaag's Furysword will do near twice the damage. If you say it's useless, you're saying all other stats than END and VIT are useless after 20.
This site:

https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/lightning

shows that lightning +5 doing better than any equivalent regular +15s with the primary stat at 50 and scaling for that stat at 'A' level.

Hmmmmmm.

Varna

Septimius said:
Seriously?

Slightly joking and no 30 doesn't cut it at all, closer to 50 is when you see the difference in the best graded stuff. Furysword doesn't even count. Nearly all the damage comes from the crazy fire damage bonus. At 32 dex I'm getting 90+ 78 physical and 270+53 fire damage

offtopic said:
This site:

https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/lightning

shows that lightning +5 doing better than any equivalent regular +15s with the primary stat at 50 and scaling for that stat at 'A' level.

Hmmmmmm.

Your absolutely right. Not even close at the moment until 100+ levels. Hurry patch. :(

mudkyp

Beat the game after 80 hours and at SL 108 or so. YAY! Another rewarding experience from From Software. Only area I really hated was
Lost Izelath
. Overall, I think it's either on par or slightly worse than Demon's Souls, but that just means that Dark Souls is easily game of the year for me.

elty

Well....

Soul level 56. Spent the last few levels on INT, and found out homing soulmass is only 2 shot :(

Which stat should I focus now?

18 VIT
25 END
14 ATT
16 STR
25 DEX
18 INT

Thagomizer said:

LOL I feel you. I went through all of Bligthtown without a death in a single run up to the boss.
I enter & the boss jumps/lava-sprays me to near death before I could even step 5 feet into the area. I get back up & die immediately because I recovered while in lava.

I use a humanity & run back, end up using a item to cure poison as I rushed through the poison swamp to the boss.
The same exact damn thing happened to me again.

Repeat 4 more times & 4 reused & 4 lost humanity & 4 used up poison healing items & 10,000 lost souls just to get to the boss :mad:

Haunted

PumpkinPie said:
I just beat him and didn't get that... :(
You need the soul to make it.

Fully upgraded (+10) Broken Straight Sword + Soul of Sif at the giant Blacksmith = sick Greatsword. I put a lot of souls into that path, been upgrading that useless thing for a while. Payoff is worth it, though.

Never would have done anything like it if it weren't for the guide/wiki. Necessary to enjoy the game, imo.

Augemitbutter said:
bloodstains is the best feature in these games. i saw a message saying "treasure ahead" right before a pit. 5 minutes later i walk back there and see a bloodstain. now guess where it went.
be wary of liar

elty said:
Well....

Soul level 56. Spent the last few levels on INT, and found out homing soulmass is only 2 shot :(

18 VIT
25 END
14 ATT
16 STR
25 DEX
18 INT

I saw someone using soul mass homing shot up to 6 times.
So I guess you can find more.

Haunted

elty said:
Well....

18 VIT
25 END
14 ATT
16 STR
25 DEX
18 INT
Solely depends on your main weapon. From your high dexterity I assume you're some sort of rogue/archer, with sorcery on the side?

Check what stats are necessary to increase your dps and buff those. If you want to get more out of your sorcery - put more into intelligence (and some into attunement until you have at least 3-4 slots). If you want to use a fast melee weapon (like a rapier or something), put more into dexterity... you can put more into any stat, there are weapons for every build type - some better, some worse - but I find it much more fun to "choose" going for a particular weapon that you like and prepare your build for that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Before you write of resistance completely, try upgrading a set of job-specific armour* to +10.
When you realise how much hassle it is getting titanite slabs, the value of those extra points of resistance look a lot better value!

*To clarify, I rolled a Pyromancer and the tattered cloth set is actually pretty solid all round, so I was thinking of maxing it... until I realized what was neccessary to get +10. Having just spent the last few hours grinding darkwraiths in New Londo Ruins and getting a single slab for the trouble... yeesh.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Soooooooo..... I think I fucked up bad.

Killed the Capra Demon, went down to the depths. Found a dude in a barrell who wanted me to free him. In clearing out the barrels I around him, I accidentally hit him and he aggro'd. I went all the way back to the chapel to see if I could absolve the act, it was 64000 souls. Didn't have that so I went back and had to kill him. So I'm guessing no fire spells for me.

Gattsu25

Banned
truly101 said:

Killed the Capra Demon, went down to the depths. Found a dude in a barrell who wanted me to free him. In clearing out the barrels I around him, I accidentally hit him and he aggro'd. I went all the way back to the chapel to see if I could absolve the act, it was 64000 souls. Didn't have that so I went back and had to kill him. So I'm guessing no fire spells for me.
You didn't have to. You could have waited until you could afford the cost and then absolved.

ixix

truly101 said:

Poor, poor Laurentius. So many people kill the poor guy.

You're not totally locked out of Pyromancy so long as you resist the temptation to kill the other NPC that people constantly murder. After you
beat Quelaag and ring the second bell go down the stairs under the bell and hit the wall covered in eggs. It'll disappear. Behind it is a guy who looks like an enemy. He isn't. Don't kill him. Talk to him and he'll ask if you're a new servant. Say yes. Don't kill him. At some point if you talk to him he'll ask if you're familiar with Pyromancy, and he'll give you a Pyromancer's Flame. I'm not entirely certain of the criteria to trigger this, but I'm pretty sure that getting an egg on your head will do it. After this you can have him upgrade your new flame, and buy the Poison Mist and Toxic Mist Pyromancies from him. Once your flame is at least +10 Quelana of Izalith will appear in the Blighttown swamp near one of the pillars outside the entrance of Quelaag's Domain. She's a full-blown Pyromancy trainer who can teach you tons of spells, including most of the ones you could have gotten from Laurentius, may he rest in peace. It probably goes without saying at this point, but don't kill her.

Styles

PvP is fun, but I suck at it. Won 3 out of the 10 I had, lol. Enchanted barbed straight sword made me look like I noob compared to the Lightning Scythes most of them were rocking.

2AdEPT

Jinfash said:
There's a princess... in Basin?

Uh oh.
I started over at 120 hours and SL60...when she died right in front of me at the hands of those fat ass golems I tried to find the light hat in the ruins and even though i was out matched I fought all those capras.....beat them all....then was shut out at the fog door....i only just realized it had to do with the vessel. I am going to try to get the hat, but if I don't the new character will take over full time.

Dresden

truly101 said:
How do you get Laurentius out of the barrel then? Unequip your weapon and hit it?
Roll into it.

*To clarify, I rolled a Pyromancer and the tattered cloth set is actually pretty solid all round, so I was thinking of maxing it... until I realized what was neccessary to get +10. Having just spent the last few hours grinding darkwraiths in New Londo Ruins and getting a single slab for the trouble... yeesh.
You can leave them at +9, unless the tattered armors get a huge jump at the last upgrade.

Besides you can just keep the chest and maybe the hood to retain the pyro look while wearing other boots and gloves.

Jinfash said:
I found her. Thanks for the help.

Are there any other NPCs trapped in golems, other than Dusk and that female Onion Knight at the entrance of the Crystal Cave? (what's the latter's significance btw?)

Also, are there any other summon-able vendors?

It's weird that I'm finding all of these bits at the last part of the game.

Sieglinde is the daughter of Siegmeyer (Onionbro), and she triggers the next part of his quest, which I will now tell you about if you want to know in spoilers:

After saving her, you go back to Firelink Shrine where she asks if you've seen Onionbro. Tell her yes and she'll head off to look for him. Afterwards you'll be able to find him in Lost Izalith (fuck that place but anyway) where he'll be sitting near a pit of four Chaos Demons.

Kill three of them and I suggest weakening the fourth if you can, then go back up the pit and talk to Onionbro. He'll decide it's time for him to pay you back and jump in to fight the demons while you escape. Of course, you should jump down and help him kill the last demon instead. If he has above 50% HP he'll survive the fight and continue to his next part of the quest. If not...he dies and you get a crappy Speckled Stoneplate Ring. Like I did. Lame.

Finally, go to Ash Lake and you'll find him there with Sieglinde, and you get a Titanite Slab.

So I stopped PVPing and attempted Gwyn.

What.
The.
Fuck.

I killed him my second attempt. You can parry him. Along with the hornet ring, it only took 4 parries. I see a bonfire, and plan to use it before I choose an ending, which I assumed would be a big dramatic thing. But nope, I lit the bonfire, got an ending trophy trophy, and was treated to the credits. That was stupid, and underwhelming.

Still an amazing game, even with a weak later half.

MotionBlue said:
So I stopped PVPing and attempted Gwyn.

What.
The.
Fuck.

I killed him my second attempt. You can parry him. Along with the hornet ring, it only took 4 parries. I see a bonfire, and plan to use it before I choose an ending, which I assumed would be a big dramatic thing. But nope, I lit the bonfire, got an ending trophy trophy, and was treated to the credits. That was stupid, and underwhelming.

Still an amazing game, even with a weak later half.

Yeah, that sucks. There's really no way to warn you about that without spoiling anything.

Next time, just walk away. You'll get the (infinitely cooler) second ending.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
WTF !

So I'm currently making my way through the catacombs, and for some reason the game is registering my button presses like ~5 seconds after i pressed the button. Yes, it got me killed a couple times which is really annoying.

I haven't had any lag issues with this game, but right now it is pissing me off.

I'm about 30hrs in the game too.

Otheradam said:
Just don't see how this is the case since the ps3/360 are all the same hardware wise, unlike PC where parts are different. So it should be consistently the same for everyone. Unless you just can't tell there is slowdown.
The same hardware wise? Care to explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom