• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

SiegfriedFM said:
I went to the asylum after ringing both bells. I cleared out the place except for the boss. He hits like a truck, am I supposed to fight him now or can I just move on?
Fighting him's purely optional, the only thing that really mattered in there was
the strange doll that doubles as a key to the painting world in Anor Londo. Which is also an optional area, so you didn't need to even go back.

scy

SiegfriedFM said:
I went to the asylum after ringing both bells. I cleared out the place except for the boss. He hits like a truck, am I supposed to fight him now or can I just move on?

If you do the fight right, you'll never be hit by him:
Stay behind him at all costs. His explosion he throws out (which is oddly magical damage, incidentally) only hits around his entire front 180 degree arc and a bit of leakage directly around him. If you're behind him, he doesn't do his normal swing so the only other attack to take note of is when he floats up and ground pounds. Just watch for these two and keep behind him as much as possible and you can get through the fight without ever being hit.

But, he's completely optional so if want to return much later, you can with no repercussions.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Good progress tonight. Got through Tomb of Giants, and it was awful. Will never go back. But then went to Painted Ariamis and it was the tits. Super atmospheric, had me really getting into it and wondering what the hell happened there. Also got invaded 3 times. Won the first two for my first PVP wins EVER... mwuahaha, then got one shotted by a samurai dude in the last one. At least he had the decency to bow to my carcass. Really creepy place playing at night with the headphones on.

Tomb of Giants: F
Painted Ariams: A

Grinchy

Banned
Eusis said:
Also, your reward for beating him is
a Titanite Slab
, so it's worth doing for weapon upgrades.
Yeah the only reason I fought him was to complete my normal Bandit's Knife. The first time fighting him, I was annoyed. But once I really figured out how to evade his moves it wasn't too bad (especially since I use a bleed weapon)

Septimius

offtopic said:
This site:

https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/lightning

shows that lightning +5 doing better than any equivalent regular +15s with the primary stat at 50 and scaling for that stat at 'A' level.

Hmmmmmm.

Just going to have to respond to this after having slept. +15 are probably the worst 'end' upgrade you can get. At 50, there certainly can be a good benefit from it only doing one damage type, and as such, 350 AR vs phy can consistently outperform a +5 Lightning that does 250/250. Then again, physical DEF is notoriously the highest, especially in PvP.

linko9

Septimius said:
Just going to have to respond to this after having slept. +15 are probably the worst 'end' upgrade you can get. At 50, there certainly can be a good benefit from it only doing one damage type, and as such, 350 AR vs phy can consistently outperform a +5 Lightning that does 250/250. Then again, physical DEF is notoriously the highest, especially in PvP.

Well, there are of course exceptions. The longbow and black bow of pharis are best at +15, as the vast majority of their damage comes from scaling points, not base points. Also, even with decent scaling, a weapon will generally be better at +15 than at raw +5.

Eusis

It's why I always fell back on the Black Knight Sword even when the lightning spear was outpacing it (no longer the case), all that damage concentrated into physical damage meant there was only one defense check rather than two.

I AM taking to Quelaag's Furysword though, unless they have high fire resistance or are outright immune it can either do more harm with high humanity, or close enough without, AND be much faster at swinging while making a smaller dent on my equip burden.

Septimius

I did the math. Even at 50 DEX vs 400 phy DEF, a +15 Uchigatana will only do 184 damage. The Quelaag's Furysword with 400 phy/300 fire will do 225 damage.

Lightning +5 Uchi will do 160 with 300 lightning DEF. Lightning rocks at low levels, but sucks at higher. Two defenses and a perfect split of damage means huge negation from resistance.

However, if DEF is at 200 for all stats, +5 lightning outperforms Quelaag's. 300 vs 276 dmg. +15 will squeeze in there at 284 damage.

linko9 said:
Well, there are of course exceptions. The longbow and black bow of pharis are best at +15, as the vast majority of their damage comes from scaling points, not base points. Also, even with decent scaling, a weapon will generally be better at +15 than at raw +5.

A very good, and true, point. Raw is only viable before we get 30+ (lower even?) in stats.

The one thing I have forgotten to factor in, is that normal swords can be enchanted. This means it can suddenly be hugely viable again. But I was never a fan of having to enchant my weapon in PvP in DeS. Might try it, but I like having a steady build.

Aguirre

update on my uphill struggle:

just learned i can update flasks, if a little late though...
the bitch who does it is dead, killed by some punkass npc

Yo Gotti

Banned
SiegfriedFM said:

It will be worth it to learn how to beat him. He's easy once you learn the pattern, but you probably will die about 5-10 times trying.

Septimius

Aguirre said:
update on my uphill struggle:

just learned i can update flasks, if a little late though...
the bitch who does it is dead, killed by some punkass npc

Have you reached the second bell? The
chaos lady there is also a firekeeper. There's one in Anor Londo, too, which is also where you can revenge the death of your first firekeeper

Dresden

Joined the Darkmoon on a whim - MUCH faster pvp for whatever reason. I'm just staying around Anor Londo spamming blue eye orb while keeping the ring on, and switching the covenant ring for the darkwood grainring whenever the invasion is about to start.

It's hilarious owning people trying to farm Darkmoon invaders. Double the pleasure if they have a fog ring on.

Dresden said:
Joined the Darkmoon on a whim - MUCH faster pvp for whatever reason. I'm just staying around Anor Londo spamming blue eye orb while keeping the ring on, and switching the covenant ring for the darkwood grainring whenever the invasion is about to start.

It's hilarious owning people trying to farm Darkmoon invaders. Double the pleasure if they have a fog ring on.
I am going to farm humanity this morning so I can do pvp in the forest. I'm sure there are a bunch of farmers in there and if I can best just one there could be a huge payoff. Plus it's not like there is a real risk for me to lose anything. I simply won't take bait to move further in and keep my bloodstains near the bonfire.

Septimius

I'm sure this could be a case of GAF > internet > GAF, but I love this gif

1318716813369.gif

I wish there was a way to play music in the areas instead of just at bosses. Ash Lake has music the whole time and it makes it like 50 million times better IMO. Dropkick that ambient business and get back to making awesome songs like King's Field had, like this piece of awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSiK7AB89y0&feature=colike

Matter of fact, I would probably stab someone to be able to put that specific song in the game.

Carcetti

PvP can be very profitable. I got 17 humanity and 850 000 Souls PvP:ing in Anor Londo yesterday with Red Eye Orb. The problem is that I have no idea what I'm gonna do with those souls since I'm at the soul level I wanna be at (51).

Aguirre

Septimius said:
Have you reached the second bell? The
chaos lady there is also a firekeeper. There's one in Anor Londo, too, which is also where you can revenge the death of your first firekeeper
i have indeed! thanks!!

Kyoufu said:
Awesome gif. I love you From Software.
that guys dead. fuck them dogs, seriously

Kyoufu

Aguirre said:
that guys dead. fuck them dogs, seriously

I did the forest area before this so I had a ton of poise. Doggy was put down :D

Wouldn't want to do it right after the first bell though, must be a nightmare.

BeeDog

FUUUUCK I NEED YOU SUNLIGHT MEDAL

I really want to wrap up the Sunlight stuff in my NG+ (for no discernable reason), but I can't for the life of me get summoned in the Kiln (I assume that's the best place for a SL of 160?). It also doesn't help I can't kill the last boss alone. :(

Aguirre

Kyoufu said:
I did the forest area before this so I had a ton of poise. Doggy was put down :D

Wouldn't want to do it right after the first bell though, must be a nightmare.
ho ho nightmare doesn't even begin to describe it. i did it before the first bell. absolute hell. i orgasmed afterwards

BeeDog said:
FUUUUCK I NEED YOU SUNLIGHT MEDAL

I really want to wrap up the Sunlight stuff in my NG+ (for no discernable reason), but I can't for the life of me get summoned in the Kiln (I assume that's the best place for a SL of 160?). It also doesn't help I can't kill the last boss alone. :(

You fighting him as a melee?

I ended up using the pillars to my advantage. He can get stuck on them while he's charging you, giving you time to breathe instead of non-stop rushdown like he usually does. If I needed a second to get a Estus Flask out I'd circle the pillar in the back-right corner near where he starts, and bait him into attacking, where he'd be jammed against the pillar trying to do his stab move.

Doomshine

The first five deaths against Capra demon was me getting pushed into a corner so I couldn't see shit and the other five was me getting attacked from behind because I had to make sure I was blocking Capra's attacks. I eventually managed to run up the stairs and kill both dogs with firebombs as they came up...

Fuck that fight.

Doomshine said:
The first five deaths against Capra demon was me getting pushed into a corner so I couldn't see shit and the other five was me getting attacked from behind because I had to make sure I was blocking Capra's attacks. I eventually managed to run up the stairs and kill both dogs with firebombs as they came up...

Fuck that fight.
I remember reading all the strategies in here stating that capra can't come up the stairs after you. After a dozen deaths I finally manage to get up the stairs, kill the dogs, and what does capra do? Walk right up and own my face. I almost shit myself.

DigitalDevil said:
I remember reading all the strategies in here stating that capra can't come up the stairs after you. After a dozen deaths I finally manage to get up the stairs, kill the dogs, and what does capra do? Walk right up and own my face. I almost shit myself.

It's hard for him to get up the stairs but he can do it. Use them to lure him up then roll or drop off them if you need a minute to heal or something, he'll drop down and take a second or two to do his landing animation.

Speaking of, I just took his face off in NG+. I totally forgot to do Lower Undead Burg and the Depths because I used my Master Key and went straight down to murder Quelaag before I killed the Bell Gargoyles. XD

UrbanRats

Septimius said:
I'm sure this could be a case of GAF > internet > GAF, but I love this gif

1318716813369.gif
Capra Demon has a design so fucking cool.

Yesterday i made my brother start the game (he had never played it or saw anything about it), he beat Taurus on 2nd try and Capra on first, i tried to troll him around many times, like "yeah, go through that fog, don't worry" but he managed to pull it off at the first try, wth.

AlphaDragoon said:
It's hard for him to get up the stairs but he can do it. Use them to lure him up then roll or drop off them if you need a minute to heal or something, he'll drop down and take a second or two to do his landing animation.

Speaking of, I just took his face off in NG+. I totally forgot to do Lower Undead Burg and the Depths because I used my Master Key and went straight down to murder Quelaag before I killed the Bell Gargoyles. XD
Oh I ended up beating him. It's just that I wasn't expecting him to come up the stairs. Kind of like when taurus jumped up on the platform. It was an OH SHIT moment.

falconzss

DigitalDevil said:
Nice. I would do a happy dance if this happened to me!

Sure, but since i got either tag-teamed or simply overpowered on my last 15-20 tries, it's a welcome gift. Encountered one guy yesterday who i could only deal 3 damage points with a single attack (Lightning Spear +4). Couldn't believe this guy was in my SL range.

falconzss said:
Sure, but since i got either tag-teamed or simply overpowered on my last 15-20 tries, it's a welcome gift. Encountered one guy yesterday who i could only deal 3 damage points with a single attack (Lightning Spear +4). Couldn't believe this guy was in my SL range.
I'm getting invaded in the forest so I'm practically guaranteed to get raped consistently. I'm just waiting for that one asshat farming invaders to slip up and it will be like hitting the lottery... Or so I hope.

falconzss

DigitalDevil said:
I'm getting invaded in the forest so I'm practically guaranteed to get raped consistently. I'm just waiting for that one asshat farming invaders to slip up and it will be like hitting the lottery... Or so I hope.

Sure! I'm just doing it to get Alvina's gifts. I'm feeling dumb for not doing it earlier in the game :/

falconzss

toasty_T said:
Anyone choose the Old Witch's Ring as their starting gift? Apparently it lets you talk to the leader of the Chaos Servant Covenant.

You could also trade
the Sunlight Maggot with Sparkly :p Snuggly
to get the Old Witch's Ring. Since i chose the Master Key i'm probably going to trade to get the Ring.

toasty_T said:
Anyone choose the Old Witch's Ring as their starting gift? Apparently it lets you talk to the leader of the Chaos Servant Covenant.

Yeah, it does. It makes your opinion of the music in her area go from creepy sounding to really melancholy and sad, once you hear what she has to say. She's all sickly and stuff, kinda sucks to hear.

linko9

AlphaDragoon said:
I wish there was a way to play music in the areas instead of just at bosses. Ash Lake has music the whole time and it makes it like 50 million times better IMO. Dropkick that ambient business and get back to making awesome songs like King's Field had, like this piece of awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSiK7AB89y0&feature=colike

Matter of fact, I would probably stab someone to be able to put that specific song in the game.

Wow, this post got me listening through the King's Field soundtrack, and it's truly excellent. It's a real shame this game went so light on the music. That may be my major complaint with the game.

On a related note, is it worth playing the king's field games if I love both Souls games? If so, which ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom