• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varna

Um... so what was all the fuss about Lost Izalith? I haven't finished clearing out the area yet... but it was even close to being the hardest or most annoying part of this game. Boss was a total joke too. Just have to figure out where to go and it was done on my third attempt.

soldat7

"Disasters are gone after the defeat of the Gravelord Servant"

Huh?

I'm in human form, just rung the second bell, and am trucking back through Blight Town (wish there was a shortcut). What in the world does this mean?

It's pretty easy. Draw a few of the dragon asses to one of the buildings and let them take each other out then take out the last one. The reward for clearing the area is about 50k souls and no respawn.

Not bad imo

psykomyko

Downed 3 bosses tonight:

Four Kings - Best boss fight so far, incredibly intense fight. Loved New Londo Ruins, really creepy too.

Stray Demon - Really annoying, had a lot of trouble with this one.

Crossbread Priscilla - Was expecting a really tough fight, but it was actually really easy.
Also, this area was really awesome. Everything in Anor Londo to here was the best part of the game so far.

Feels good man :)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
soldat7 said:
"Disasters are gone after the defeat of the Gravelord Servant"

Huh?

I'm in human form, just rung the second bell, and am trucking back through Blight Town (wish there was a shortcut). What in the world does this mean?

It means that somewhere, way off in the mysterious ether, a member of the Gravelord Covenant used an Eye of Death, and his malign influence, if only for a moment, reached your world and grasped it in its icy palm.

And then the sketchy netcode kicked in, the whole thing got a bit buggered up, and a confusing non-sequitur flashed across your screen. Don't worry about it.

Insaniac

getting invaded in the forest is so hilarious. I always stand at the top of the stairs by the fog door and wait. When i see them I don't move and act idle. If they're not fog-ringed I blast em and one shot em with a crystal soul spear when they got close cause they never have their guard up

soldat7

ixix said:
It means that somewhere, way off in the mysterious ether, a member of the Gravelord Covenant used an Eye of Death, and his malign influence, if only for a moment, reached your world and grasped it in its icy palm.

And then the sketchy netcode kicked in, the whole thing got a bit buggered up, and a confusing non-sequitur flashed across your screen. Don't worry about it.

Lol. That's unfortunate.

ElFly

Managed to exit the painted world as my weapon was hitting the 60 durability, so I was starting to get nervous.

May come back later to kill the bosses and maybe farm some souls.

ElFly said:
Managed to exit the painted world as my weapon was hitting the 60 durability, so I was starting to get nervous.

May come back later to kill the bosses and maybe farm some souls.
Don't worry, 60 is plenty.

The katana I use has a max of 80 and I repair it only when it gets to weapon at risk zone which is 5.

ixix said:

Doesn't the unique enemies (the ones that not respawn) appear as dark phantoms?

Every time I got that, I was in a part were I already defeated the boss, so I don't know if ts truth.

So I feel like I finally hit one of those parts that is random and unfair. In Sen's Fortress is there any strategy to getting to the boulder control room? Or is it always a "Run like hell and I will get hit at least once and sometimes randomly double hit/one shotted?"

Aeana

Quote said:
So I feel like I finally hit one of those parts that is random and unfair. In Sen's Fortress is there any strategy to getting to the boulder control room? Or is it always a "Run like hell and I will get hit at least once and sometimes randomly double hit/one shot?"
Sure. In the room where it rolls in several directions (the one with the lightning spear room at the bottom of it), just wait for a ball to pass and sprint up into the control room. You'll have plenty of time.

Aeana said:
Sure. In the room where it rolls in several directions (the one with the lightning spear room at the bottom of it), just wait for a ball to pass and sprint up into the control room. You'll have plenty of time.
Yeah, maybe I need to take all my gear off then because I'm just not making it.

I'll probably do that for that very narrow beam towards the top with the really close swing-axes too.

ixix

So after giving it some thought I'm pretty sure that you can conceivably get 10 human players into a single world, resulting in a no-holds-barred 4-way rumble. You would need:

1 host - Member of the Gravelord Covenant in human form in
Dark Anor Londo
. Pretty sure
Gwyndolin
would have to still be alive for this to work.

2 friendly phantoms - White or gold, summoned by the host.
The ability to summon allies returns once Anor Londo goes dark.

3 Blades of the Darkmoon - Up to three members can simultaneously invade the world of someone
in Dark Anor Londo by wearing the Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring.

1 Black Phantom - Either a Darkwraith using the Red Eye Orb or anybody using a Cracked Red Eye Orb. Note that whatever poor schmuck ends up as the black phantom in this scenario is all alone against three teams of three.

3 Gravelord victims - If the host uses an Eye of Death and successfully infects three worlds, and all three victims find his sign at around the same time, all three should be able to invade him at once.

Total participants in the most completely bananatown Dark Souls world in history: 10

All this is hypothetical of course, and connectivity issues sort of preclude this from being feasible at the moment, but I am fully secure in my assertion that, were this possible, it would be completely off the chain.

joelseph

ixix said:
So after giving it some thought I'm pretty sure that you can conceivably get 10 human players into a single world, resulting in a no-holds-barred 4-way rumble. You would need:

1 host - Member of the Gravelord Covenant in human form in
Dark Anor Londo
. Pretty sure
Gwyndolin
would have to still be alive for this to work.

2 friendly phantoms - White or gold, summoned by the host.
The ability to summon allies returns once Anor Londo goes dark.

3 Blades of the Darkmoon - Up to three members can simultaneously invade the world of someone
in Dark Anor Londo by wearing the Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring.

1 Black Phantom - Either a Darkwraith using the Red Eye Orb or anybody using a Cracked Red Eye Orb. Note that whatever poor schmuck ends up as the black phantom in this scenario is all alone against three teams of three.

3 Gravelord victims - If the host uses an Eye of Death and successfully infects three worlds, and all three victims find his sign at around the same time, all three should be able to invade him at once.

Total participants in the most completely bananatown Dark Souls world in history: 10

All this is hypothetical of course, and connectivity issues sort of preclude this from being feasible at the moment, but I am fully secure in my assertion that, were this possible, it would be completely off the chain.

I don't understand a tenth of what you said but it was fucking awesome.

PumpkinPie said:
How do you invade? I'm human, I have humanity and it still wont let me use the red orbs, what's the problem?

Re-posting for new page. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, tried both hollow and human and still can't invade ???

Instro

Aeana said:
Eh I wouldn't say plenty of time, I don't recall ever getting in that way unscathed, always took a hit just as I entered that room. If you really wanted to play it safe, iirc you can head down a bit and cross over to the center tunnel(the once that leads down to the sleeping snake guard) and head up through there.

Kalnos

Banned
WpB20.jpg

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Quote said:
Yeah, maybe I need to take all my gear off then because I'm just not making it.

I'll probably do that for that very narrow beam towards the top with the really close swing-axes too.

Yes, taking off my heavy stuff was necessary for me to get through the ball part unscathed, and even then you can get hit once if you roll a bad angle.

linko9

Pumpkins said:
What happens when it gets to 0?

Well the only thing that completely broke on me was a talisman, and all you have to do is repair it, and it's back to new. Obviously you can't use it while its broken, though if it's a weapon, maybe it would just do pitiful damage...

Instro said:
Eh I wouldn't say plenty of time, I don't recall ever getting in that way unscathed, always took a hit just as I entered that room. If you really wanted to play it safe, iirc you can head down a bit and cross over to the center tunnel(the once that leads down to the sleeping snake guard) and head up through there.
Oh yeah! That'll definitely work as I can do that without getting naked and still taking a chance. Thanks

Booshka

Last achievement I need is the All Miracles one, hopefully I won't fuck up this time, I accidentally hit Rhea with my BK Great Axe while I was fighting the
Hollow Clerics
last playthrough.

I think I need to go back up to Firelink and kill
Petrus
as well.

Speevy

Banned
I swear to you I have now killed Patches TWICE in the Giant's Tomb.

He's still selling me items in Firelink Shrine. Is this a joke?

Dresden

Good invasion spots for darkwraiths at level 90? I've been trying to do Anor Londo but the three or so times where I actually connected ended up with them disconnecting.

For people who have lots of humanity...it is closer to the endgame where you start being able to pile up humanity? The highest humanity I've ever had is 2 with all the kindling and dying I've been doing.

ixix

Dresden said:
Good invasion spots for darkwraiths at level 90? I've been trying to do Anor Londo but the three or so times where I actually connected ended up with them disconnecting.

At that soul level you'll probably have the best luck in
the final area. Lots of people go there in human form because they want PvP, so you should be able to avoid disconnects. On the flipside: you'll be invading people who geared up for PvP and waiting for you. The Painted World also seems to be a bit of an invasion hot spot.

If you want to PvP in Anor Londo specifically you'll want to join the Blades of the Darkmoon. They can PvP to their hearts' content in
Dark Anor Londo.

Grinchy

Banned
There's some really crappy framerate going on in certain sections of the painted world. They bothered me way more than blighttown. I also didn't get the tail that I needed. My Bandit's Knife +15 wielded in 2 hands just didn't want to cut through it, I guess. Oh well, there's always NG+. I liked the area overall, but there were some really annoying parts.

Styles

So I defeated Seath
before freeing Logan from his cell, and now he's not there when I went to free him. Has he gone somewhere or did he die?

So I find out one of Lautrec's dialogue says he can't stand Patches. What if I beat ToTG before ringing the 2nd bell? Patches come as a merchant. I want to see those NPC's fight. If you're wondering how I get out. I'll use homestead.

Dresden

ixix said:
At that soul level you'll probably have the best luck in
the final area. Lots of people go there in human form because they want PvP, so you should be able to avoid disconnects. On the flipside: you'll be invading people who geared up for PvP and waiting for you. The Painted World also seems to be a bit of an invasion hot spot.

If you want to PvP in Anor Londo specifically you'll want to join the Blades of the Darkmoon. They can PvP to their hearts' content in
Dark Anor Londo.
Unfortunately I haven't unlocked the kiln yet in this ng+, but I'll keep that in mind.

Got some success doing invasions in New Londo Ruins and Duke's Archives - lots of people wearing havel's armor, maybe off to run to the bosses.

e: also, why do people pop Iron Flesh when they see someone wearing wizard robes with a staff in hand run towards them. >.>

e2: getting out of New Londo, this is just griefing. So many people panicking and killing themselves.

Booshka

The Dark Soul unlocked, all Achievements complete! Took me 3.5 playthroughs. I just built the ugliest, scariest looking Black Knight Great Axe wielding mofo ever. I can ninja flip with this build.

f57u42.jpg

tokkun

zerokoolpsx said:
So I find out one of Lautrec's dialogue says he can't stand Patches. What if I beat ToTG before ringing the 2nd bell? Patches come as a merchant. I want to see those NPC's fight. If you're wondering how I get out. I'll use homestead.

Beating Tomb of the Giants prior to ringing the 2nd bell is impossible.

ixix

zerokoolpsx said:

I went out of my way to make them meet on my second character based on that very line of dialogue.
You can't get them both to Firelink at the same time. Patches stays in the Tomb of Giants until you kill Nito, so Lautrec will be long gone before he shows up at Firelink. Hitting up Tomb of Giants super early is fun, but it won't get Lautrec to make good on his threat to have Patches' hide.

It might be worth noting that unlike Patches, Rhea will leave the Tomb as soon as she's rescued. Might be worth the trip if you're a Miracle-user.

Mindlog

I was running around kindling fires and getting some blacksmith work done. I always throw down my summon sign just in case. To my surprise I got summoned to O&S. I had covetous rings and my spells weren't properly attuned, but the fight is a breeze so I just went with what I had. The person who summoned me was wearing almost the same exact armor/shield setup. We go in and I am just messing around hitting whoever because this fight is really easy with my gear. For some reason the boss isn't going down as fast as it should.

I am also hitting for less damage than I should be.
Oh wait, this is a NG+ isn't it.

I died right before the last hit. If I had been paying attention the fight would have went much more smoothly. The host still won and I got confirmation it was NG+ when I was awarded 45k souls. I had to use some humanity and I popped off 1 Iron Skin. I am fairly confident that I can solo them in NG+.

I don't want to think about NG+. There are so many excellent games to be played.
but the challenge...

Xanathus

Does anyone remember the reason why the Dex stat was favored over the Int stat in Demon's Souls? I'm asking this because if FROM patches the game to make stat scaling not broken but makes the damage gains per stat the same between Str/Dex/Int/Faith, wouldn't Int be the most powerful damage stat since it affects spells and Magic/Enchanted weapons?

scy

Booshka said:
If I could donate one to you I would, hell I'd even upgrade it for you.

Meh, not a big deal; I'll just rush to the final area now, I guess. Want to toy around with a STR + Crystal Magic Weapon (@25 INT) build so I made this character. Kind of just making a host of characters to have ready for whenever the patch hits :/

Alright, So i beat Quelag and rang the bell, and continued down into Demon Ruins, cleared out that area and got to a door that is covered in orange fog and says something about being sealed by the lords light i think. Should I have backtracked out through blight town after ringing the second bell?

Booshka

Little trick my friend told me about the Covetous Silver Serpent ring, after you beat a boss, put it on quickly and when you get the souls for it the bonus will be on the payout. This way you don't need to have it on for the fight, just put it on quick enough after you kill a boss and you will get the benefits.

Mindlog

pseudocaesar said:
Alright, So i beat Quelag and rang the bell, and continued down into Demon Ruins, cleared out that area and got to a door that is covered in orange fog and says something about being sealed by the lords light i think. Should I have backtracked out through blight town after ringing the second bell?
Yes, you will need to get through Sen's Fortress and beyond to lift the gold fog.

There are other areas to explore before going through the fog. I don't know where you've been. At the very least you should exit on the opposite side you came in. vvv

I went to the asylum after ringing both bells. I cleared out the place except for the boss. He hits like a truck, am I supposed to fight him now or can I just move on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom