• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

Thagomizer said:
So, what's the deal with the tail axe? A boss weapon that does less damage than the mob axe, with a crappy reach despite its length due to the bending, and gives you three status effect bars?

Am I missing something here, or is this supposed to be a gag weapon?
I was wondering about that as well, not that the status effects are enough to really hurt you or anything, and only activate when you switch to the weapon, but its damage output was really disappointing for me as well. Very strange after all the good things I've heard people say about it.

edit: if you're talking about the Gargoyle Tail Axe from the Bell Gargoyles, that is. (got mine in Anor Londo)

WYSIWYG for me. I don't have the resources to pump that many souls into each weapon to see if it fares better when upgraded Divine +3 or Raw +6 or whatever - so at that point in the game, I always made a few practice swings with each new weapon and just stuck with whatever did the most dps across a stamina bar.

I now have the Greatsword of Artorias after beating Sif, which does so much more dps + stagger than any other weapon I have (Drake Sword and Lightning Spear until that point), it's quite frankly, ridiculous.

astroturfing said:
anyone else dig the Dingy Robe? :p i upgraded the hell out of it and it seems to have pretty ok stats. better lightning defense than some of the armors i compared it to... and of course poison and curse resistance.

My male Sorcery character actually uses the Dingy Robe/Dingy Hood with Black Leather Boots and Gauntlets of the Channeler. Not optimized for defense by any standard, but looks badass:

hwCtE.jpg

And a full body shot:

BABKw.jpg

corrosivefrost said:
Oddly enough, I was able to do it using the droppy orbs and didn't fall once. I promptly used homeward to avoid the return trip though. :D

On the subject of Seath's tail, if you're a warrior mage, holy shit. That moonlight greatsword is NIIIIICE.

Getsuga Tenshō!!!!!

Moonlight Sword was a must get for me as a King's Field veteran. And yes, it is frickin' uber when maxed out. (FUN FACT: The MS had the Getsuga Tenshō attack in King's Field II also. Ichigo jacked From Soft's swagger. XD)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Thagomizer said:
Gravelord Nito
Ah yes. The Catacombs I presume.

Wasn't there a spell that would help until I find the Lantern, or is that unnecessary until I reach the Tomb of the Giants?

bone_and_sinew said:
Have you tested this? It's worth a shot
Well I could try, as each time I killed him all 3 times and he only dropped his Barbed Straight Sword the first time in the depths.
I know he CAN drop them all on the first encounter but luck isn't on my side it seems, even at 410 I.S.

Jinfash said:
Ah yes. The Catacombs I presume.

Wasn't there a spell that would help until I find the Lantern, or is that unnecessary until I reach the Tomb of the Giants?

Sure is, use Cast Light from Dusk (the princess you save in Darkroot Basin).

Slightly off topic, I love Dusk's voice so much. I'm such a sucker for an accent.

yeb

Soulhouf said:
How can he have 300 def at level 1? And all those resistances? (holy shit at his resistance against curse)
That's a very good point, only about 180 defense would come from that armor fully upgraded, and he's listed with a base defense of 129. My base is only 93 defense at level 53.

That gave me an idea to test something actually, and I just learned that humanity increases your base defense. I'd test it more myself, but I'm saving my humanity items for the chaos covenant. If it doesn't stop at 30 and just keeps adding up to 99, his stat is still very believable.

InfiniDragon said:
Sure is, use Cast Light from Dusk (the princess you save in Darkroot Basin).

Slightly off topic, I love Dusk's voice so much. I'm such a sucker for an accent.

Cast light kinda sucks. I thought it would light up an entire area, but it just expands your default light to maybe 3-4 times bigger.

scy

falconzss said:
Is it possible to unlock the covenant trophies without actually joining them?

You merely need the join prompt to get it; saying Yes or No doesn't matter. The trophy is for discovering the Covenant, not for actually joining them.

See You Next Wednesday said:
Cast light kinda sucks. I thought it would light up an entire area, but it just expands your default light to maybe 3-4 times bigger.

But it's sure the hell better than walking around the effing Tomb of the Giants with no light, which was what the guy was asking about. ^^

Haunted

^^ seriously.

Having cast light was sooo important in those levels. I don't even want to imagine playing the Catacombs or Tomb of the Giants without it.

It does what it's supposed to.

Septimius

yeb said:
That's a very good point, only about 180 defense would come from that armor fully upgraded, and he's listed with a base defense of 129. My base is only 93 defense at level 53.

That gave me an idea to test something actually, and I just learned that humanity increases your base defense. I'd test it more myself, but I'm saving my humanity items for the chaos covenant. If it doesn't stop at 30 and just keeps adding up to 99, his stat is still very believable.

I can test this right away. Just gonna go drop into the well in Firelink, brb

It's a godsend in the Tomb of the Giants. Don't complain, considering the alternative.

Septimius

Wow, base resistance scales with humanity. I can't confirm if it stops at 40 or not, but at 77, it's this difference at SL 71, 12 in RES
Code:
phy   mag   flame light bleed poiso curse item
107   99    104   112   100   42    30    100
152   147   149   158   100   42    150   210

krakov

Started a SL1 run today, blasted trough Taurus, Gargoyles, Butterfly and Hydra in no time. Pretty sure I can make it without too much trouble.

Septimius said:
Wow, base resistance scales with humanity. I can't confirm if it stops at 40 or not, but at 77, it's this difference at SL 71, 12 in RES
Code:

That is so fucking...RANDOM.

Well...now we know why you might want to have Humanity greater than 30.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Well, I just taught someone a vital PvP lesson. Even if you catch someone in Tranquil Walk of Peace and think you have it in the bag, don't take a moment to rub it in by doing the Come at me bro emote. Just because they can't move doesn't mean they can't cast spells.

Jinfash said:
There's a princess... in Basin?

Uh oh.

There's no time limit on it. After you kill the Hydra, go across the lake to the other side, there's a cave with a Golden Crystal Golem in it. Kill it, and Dusk will appear. Afterwards, quit the game and reload and you will be able to buy Sorcery from her by summoning her from a sign near where the Knight Armor set was. You can also get her outfit at that point by going to where the Golem first was.

ixix said:
Well, I just taught someone a vital PvP lesson. Even if you catch someone in Tranquil Walk of Peace and think you have it in the bag, don't take a moment to rub it in by doing the Come at me bro emote. Just because they can't move doesn't mean they can't cast spells.

Hahaha, that's so awesome.

Carcetti

Worst pvp fight yet.

I, a level 50 invader fight a guy in goddamn full havel armor plus giant mace plus havel shield who can still move. He still waits behind the bonfire door and only comes out when I use firestorm on him. Then when I roll and soulspear him again and again (he takes minimal damage and has zillion hp), he starts to die and he pulls modem plug - Disconnected from Master.

How weak.

yeb

Septimius said:
Code:
Nice. I suddenly wish I was in the Dragon covenant, just so I could figure out exact details more easily.

sephi22

Had that feeling with Blighttown too.

BTW does anyone know that spell that was mentioned earlier in this thread? The one about a Magical Shield spell that makes you impervious to any damage.

I bought that spell from the guy at the Fireshrine, but all it does it light up my shield, I still took damage from enemies.

Is there another shield spell in the game?
Its called the Great Magic Shield spell.
The spell that I think you bought from Firelink is Magic Shield (not Great Magic Shield). It has 3 uses and as long as you don't 2 hand your weapon, it will make you almost invincible. It combined with Iron Flesh makes you a statue of doom.

sixghost

Septimius said:
There is a point of diminishing returns with VIT, isn't there? At that point, it could easily be that you get more "total vit" (ie, how many times you actually can be hit by something of x strength) by increasing RES over VIT. I am in the final stages of calculating AR vs def, but it's looking very simple

At this point, I have

damage + (def / 2) = AR + (x / 2), where x is a static addition to all def.
Re-arranged, that's: damage = AR * (which attack you're doing, 1 for normal, near 2 for katanas R2 etc - this seems to be based on animation length) - ([def - x] / 2)

Next step will be to make a new char to check what that x is when I get a low enough res.

Simply, when !(AR >> def) or !(AR << def), you can think of 1 point in RES to reduce 0.5 damage. I will get back to how it scales with insane AR (as in, should you have more MAG res or higher vit against a crazy mage that can kill you with one spell)
Yeah, it starts to scale down pretty noticeably after 40.

ixix

AlphaDragoon said:
Hahaha, that's so awesome.

I actually thought I was totally boned because he was camping the spawn and I was under the effect the instant I got control of my character. I reflexively cast Homing Crystal Soulmass figuring I was doomed and then saw him start going all Come at Me, Bro.

My Soulmasses came at him. I don't think he liked them.

psykomyko

YEAH! TAKE THAT
FOUR KINGS!
Best boss fight so far, loved it! I'm shaking right now, that was an incredibly intense boss fight.

Edit: The music on that fight was badass too.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
pedr0theli0n said:
just made a divine halberd and it aint doing anything special against the skeletons in the catacombs... what gives?

quoting for new page. using a divine halberd and skeletons arent staying dead...

soldat7

Freaking Quelagg(sp?) I went human hoping to summon help, got invaded, defeated the invader, then summoned the invader at the fog gate. We lost. Then I tried again, summoned another person and then the original invader, and we still couldn't beat her. Any tips? I keep getting hit with some unblockable fire attack...

soldat7 said:
Freaking Quelagg(sp?) I went human hoping to summon help, got invaded, defeated the invader, then summoned the invader at the fog gate. We lost. Then I tried again, summoned another person and then the original invader, and we still couldn't beat her. Any tips? I keep getting hit with some unblockable fire attack...

circle her in melee range and counterpoke after she swings. if you see her standing still get the hell out asap. her area attack occurs when you whack her too much most of the time.

soldat7 said:

Don't stand close when she charges up that attack...run the fuck away.

Otherwise, run in, stab twice and get the hell out of there.

mrgone said:
Tomb of the Giants. I want my fucking money back!

it's actually a pretty short level and the first bonfire is pretty close.

If you take your time, the place isn't that bad and once you get to the second bonfire, you don't have to worry so much about the darkness.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
AlphaDragoon said:
There's no time limit on it. After you kill the Hydra, go across the lake to the other side, there's a cave with a Golden Crystal Golem in it. Kill it, and Dusk will appear. Afterwards, quit the game and reload and you will be able to buy Sorcery from her by summoning her from a sign near where the Knight Armor set was. You can also get her outfit at that point by going to where the Golem first was.
I found her. Thanks for the help.

Are there any other NPCs trapped in golems, other than Dusk and that female Onion Knight at the entrance of the Crystal Cave? (what's the latter's significance btw?)

Also, are there any other summon-able vendors?

It's weird that I'm finding all of these bits at the last part of the game.

GeekyDad

ixix said:

Ha, ha. Nice.

Varna

bigdaddygamebot said:

If you take your time, the place isn't that bad and once you get to the second bonfire, you don't have to worry so much about the darkness.

The first bonfire is less then 30 seconds away from the second. It's a really short level. I can't believe so many people had issues.

In general I'm finding this about all the areas people were bitching about... I love them all.

EDIT: Haven't done the area after Demon Ruins yet though.

mrgone

bigdaddygamebot said:

So far I have:
-Been kicked off a cliff and ended up getting killed by the hollow clerics
-Killed the clerics only to be killed by three of those skeleton centipede things that all bodyslammed me at the same time out of nowhere
-Wandered for what feels like 10 minutes trying to find lady down there again to no avail
-Found some kind of skull lizard thing that's sent me sailing off a cliff (I havn't found my way back there yet)
-Slid down a ladder to get attacked by no less than four of those giant skeletons at the same time in a confined space. I can find my way back there, but I die every time.

Not that bad!

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Holy fuck. I hated Ornstein and Smough my first time through... But that hate does not even compare to the abhorrence I feel for them in NG+. Smough's ass stomp attack kills me in one hit, every time. Fuck this fight.

Varna said:
The first bonfire is less then 30 seconds away from the second. It's a really short level. I can't believe so many people had issues.

you sound like someone with a lightsource. if you go in prepared, it's a whole different experience.

purg3

slept with Malkin
woah, just noticed you can get the Black Knight and Elite Knight avatar costumes--there's actually quite a bit of Dark Souls avatar stuff. fuuuuu can't believe I'm considering buying one of them lol.

grendelrt

mrgone said:
So far I have:
-Been kicked off a cliff and ended up getting killed by the hollow clerics
-Killed the clerics only to be killed by three of those skeleton centipede things that all bodyslammed me at the same time out of nowhere
-Wandered for what feels like 10 minutes trying to find lady down there again to no avail
-Found some kind of skull lizard thing that's sent me sailing off a cliff (I havn't found my way back there yet)
-Slid down a ladder to get attacked by no less than four of those giant skeletons at the same time in a confined space. I can find my way back there, but I die every time.

Not that bad!

Theres actually like 7 giant skeletons down there lol. Never did get that item, wonder what it was.......

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Varna said:

In general I'm finding this about all the areas people were bitching about... I love them all.

EDIT: Haven't done the area after Demon Ruins yet though.
I didn't have a giant issue with TOTG (don't get me started on Lost Izalith) for this reason. It has really generous bonfires and a fairly easy path straight to the boss for the second one.

It still uses the "RUN AWAY" or "CHEAPILY KILL THESE GUYS" formula that shows up in LI, TOTG and to a lesser extent The (very short) Crystal Caves.

I don't get the Crystal Caves hate. It is easy. It's like a slightly longer Quelaag's Domain. It isn't even a "real" zone, and it takes like a minute to run through to the boss.

ixix

grendelrt said:
Theres actually like 7 giant skeletons down there lol. Never did get that item, wonder what it was.......

It's
the Large Divine Ember.

Varna

Augemitbutter said:
you sound like someone with a lightsource. if you go in prepared, it's a whole different experience.

Indeed. I had to back track all the way back to the vendor but I knew I would not dare explore that without cast light.

Varna

grendelrt said:
Doh , guess ill have to go back then....maybe.....hate skeletons.....

I died there too. Lucky for me I had spent all my souls. Next time I went in I just ran for it. NO way I was fighting all of those bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom