• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

K' Dash

MomoPufflet said:
Wow-- would not have guessed that. Besides this and the "statues" near basilisks, are there any other things like this?

You have to be shitting me, the statues are other players who got cursed?

DigitalDevil said:
Okay, strategy guide says if I have queelana's pyromancy flame and talk to laurentius he will inquire about it and if I tell him he will leave. I don't have that spell and haven't even met queelana but I DO have great chaos fireball from the daughter of chaos. Laurentius asked me about something, I told him, is he going to leave now? I have bought everything from him except fire orb, so if he does leave am I missing a great spell?
No. He never gets any better spells. Also the Great Chaos Fireball is the trigger not the ascended pyromancy flame.

Edit: He will leave though.

Carcetti

catashtrophe said:
Using the hollow shield +3 and he usually knocks me off when i get in his face

:p

It will work in like 5 attempts, you'll get it done. It's bit down to luck how he moves and attacks. Just keep walking against him all the time so you're "pushing" him towards the ledge and try to get between wall and him.

Let go of block between strikes so you regen enough stamina. I was using the same shield +5 there so it definitely will work.

Phat Michael said:
picked up an Enchanted Falchion in the Dukes Archives - is this a good weapon worth upgrading up to +5 or should i stick with my Queelaags furysword? I also have my lightning estoc +3 which ive chosen to upgrade over the lightning spear...
Only if you're planning on pumping a lot of points into Intelligence. Don't Enchanted weapons scale with that stat?

tokkun said:
I thought Tomb of Giants was pretty good. What's the complaint?

You can also skip virtually all of Lost Izalith if you get the Chaos covenant to rank 2.
In the end I didn't mind the later levels at all. In fact, I'm looking forward to catacombs and tomb of the giants again now that I have the sunlight maggot. I missed a lot of stuff in my first run because I just wanted to get through the levels. I'll probably do them before sens and anor Londo even!

MomoPufflet said:
Wow-- would not have guessed that. Besides this and the "statues" near basilisks, are there any other things like this?
K' Dash said:
You have to be shitting me, the statues are other players who got cursed?

Also you can hear the footsteps of other players when they walk past you even when there is no ghost of them around.

Halp!

Trying to get Priscilla's dagger. Dragon girl is not giving it up man. I'm 2 handing my furysword and trying to position myself to swipe her tial only. Each I'm nearly killing her. Am I to use a non elemental weapon to do this? If so I'm stuck because I can't go back.

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
No. He never gets any better spells. Also the Great Chaos Fireball is the trigger not the ascended pyromancy flame.

Edit: He will leave though.

Won't he only leave when you answer yes to his question, otherwise isn't he supposed to stay put?

Xanathus

Urban Scholar said:
Halp!

Trying to get Priscilla's dagger. Dragon girl is not giving it up man. I'm 2 handing my furysword and trying to position myself to swipe her tial only. Each I'm nearly killing her. Am I to use a non elemental weapon to do this? If so I'm stuck because I can't go back.
Don't use auto-lock on her, and try to do thrusting attacks from a 90 degree angle from her tail.

BeeDog

Urban Scholar said:
Halp!

Use a weaker weapon like a spear for the tail. Less chance of you accidentally killing her then.

Mortrialus said:
Remember to purchase the Crescent Axe from Patches. That one's required and it's easy to think it isn't. It was the last one I needed.

Already have four of those. :) Only need the Cursed Sif weapon and the one crafted with the last boss' soul now, I think.

Aguirre said:
tgyrF.jpg

Is what the game would look like if it was made by a Japanese developer...

Speevy

Banned
I beat Ceaseless Discharge, Fire Sage, and Centipede Demon.

This level feels like it was created during the N64 era of game design.

Azrael

matmanx1 said:
Tomb of the Giants is stomping my face in right now. Literally. Those Giant skeletons with their heel kick that seems to bypass my shield while fighting on a narrow walkway is the current bane of my existence. And don't even get me started on the room with 5 or 6 of them in close proximity.

Any tips for those freaks? I'm thinking of employing the crystal ring shield on my next foray to see if they will die faster as trying to tank them is just straight up not working.

Don't even try to fight them in the room with ~5 of them. Just grab the loot, die, and never go in there again.

The best tactic I've found for giant skeletons is to circle strafe them with < 50% equip load and hit them in the back. They turn so slowly they can't hit you if you keep circling them. Although in the end once I got to the second bonfire I just ran past every skeleton on the route to the boss and usually got hit at most once in the process.

Was a bit over zealous and slashed the undead merchant behind the bars, now I can't by anything from her.

Will this be a problem? Is she the only one that sells anti poison & curse potions?

Sullichin said:
the great hollow sucks. i dont even think i need to go through this area. anything i should grab here?

Stamina regen ring in the first area.

MasterLeePhD said:
Was a bit over zealous and slashed the undead merchant behind the bars, now I can't by anything from her.

Will this be a problem? Is she the only one that sells anti poison & curse potions?

I remember someone else selling anti-curse items, maybe they sell anti poison as well?

MasterLeePhD said:
Not really. You can get plenty of moss clumps out in the forest and there are two other people who can uncurse you.

No one else sells poison arrows so that could be an issue.

MasterLeePhD said:

Dude at chapel also sells Purging Stones and you can kill trees in Darkwood for moss.

Speevy

Banned
Mortrialus said:
In what sense?

Enemies just thrown into an area without rhyme or reason, fights that are disorienting due to the physical structure of the enemy and the camera, enemies that don't really fit in the environment they're set, super-deadly enemies that sit there and don't do anything unless you interact with them, fire-breathing statues attacking you, getting turned around because an area you left looks similar to the area you're heading to, reusing old bosses as regular enemies, etc.

Or to put it more simply, why are the demons arranged like a football team?

BeeDog

Speevy said:
Enemies just thrown into an area without rhyme or reason, fights that are disorienting due to the physical structure of the enemy and the camera, enemies that don't really fit in the environment they're set, super-deadly enemies that sit there and don't do anything unless you interact with them, fire-breathing statues attacking you, getting turned around because an area you left looks similar to the area you're heading to, reusing old bosses as regular enemies, etc.

I honestly started chuckling when I saw the demons lined up completely arbitrarily at the Demon Ruins (both the
Capras
and the
Tauruses
), without any rhyme or reason.

I'm in an impasse.

I'm at the start of Sen's Fortress & the enemies seem to be taking a lot of hit before going down
I need to level up A LOT of stuff & my levels, but there is no good place to grind. .

I don't want to go though the forest gauntlet since I joined their convent & it gets boring doing that.

I want upgrade at least two of my armor sets, my dragon sword, a shotel weapon, upgrade a standard weapon to +10 so I can ascend it to the Quelaag fury sword, upgrade points into my Strength & dexterity so I can start wielding stronger weapons, buy more spells fro my Pyro, buy all of Shivas unique equipment so I can kill him & get the ninja ring.

I estimate I need 400,000+ souls for all of that. Currently I have only 1,200 souls in the bank :(
What's the second best place to grind besides the Forest?

maomaoIYP

See You Next Wednesday said:
I'm in an impasse.

I'm at the start of Sen's Fortress & the enemies seem to be taking a lot of hit before going down
I need to level up A LOT of stuff & my levels, but there is no good place to grind. .

I don't want to go though the forest gauntlet since I joined their convent & it gets boring doing that.

I want upgrade at least two of my armor sets, my dragon sword, a shotel weapon, upgrade a standard weapon to +10 so I can ascend it to the Quelaag fury sword, upgrade points into my Strength & dexterity so I can start wielding stronger weapons, buy more spells fro my Pyro, buy all of Shivas unique equipment so I can kill him & get the ninja ring.

I estimate I need 400,000+ souls for all of that. Currently I have only 1,200 souls in the bank :(

Help farm Sif. 15K a pop. Honestly though, you don't really need to upgrade so much stuff. Stick with one weapon, one set of armor and your spells. Also, once you're done with Sen's, you can actually farm enemies for a few of Shiva's weapons.

Speevy said:

No arguments here.

See You Next Wednesday said:
I'm in an impasse.

dragons head soul glitch. 1 million + souls every 3 mins or so if you use the right souls.

Septimius

I can confirm that humanity adds resistance all the way to 99 humanity (well, I have only confirmed up to 80, but I can hardly see it stopping there).

The difference between 0 and 100 is pretty big, too. I will document it when I have 99, but at 77, it's this difference at SL 71, 12 in RES
Code:
phy   mag   flame light bleed poiso curse item
107   99    104   112   100   42    30    100
152   147   149   158   100   42    150   210

From my last couple of days of science, I've concluded the following:
(click for a detailed post)
  • the RES stat is useless
  • Favor's Ring is much more powerful, because what you lose in resistance from the gear you could wear with Havel's is nowhere near being as beneficial as the HP you get from this ring
  • Humanity scales resistance all the way to 99
  • Against a normal PvP opponent, you're better off doing one damage type, than higher total AR split on two attack types (roughly 380 is the same as 250/250)
  • Resistance is very useful against attacks that do around the same damage as your defense rating
  • When an attack hits 1.5 harder than your defense, resistance is moot.

elty

Your resistance is determined by the sum of your stat, and humanity is listed as one of the stat. So someone at SL 1 with 99 humanity should have the same resistance as someone with SL100 but no humanity. (I think)

* Excluding stat that gives extra resistance, such as END, RES, FAI...

does anyone find the whole trial and error of the crystal caves absolutely ridiculous? i mean its not even fun..running on the invisible bridges. such a terrible case of poor game mechanics and design.

BeeDog

Phat Michael said:
does anyone find the whole trial and error of the crystal caves absolutely ridiculous? i mean its not even fun..running on the invisible bridges. such a terrible case of poor game mechanics and design.

If you observe the snowflakes and listen to the sound of them hitting the invisible ground, there's no trial and error at all there.

Septimius

BeeDog said:
If you observe the snowflakes and listen to the sound of them hitting the invisible ground, there's no trial and error at all there.

No, and I'm there and have yet to fall, but it is still tedious and boring

BeeDog

Septimius said:
No, and I'm there and have yet to fall, but it is still tedious and boring

Yeah, the crystal caves is a VERY boring location overall (I never disagreed or mentioned it in the first place), but it's not because of the invisible walkways; I mean, to get to the boss, you only have to cross two completely straight invisible paths.

Septimius

BeeDog said:
Yeah, the crystal caves is a VERY boring location overall (I never disagreed or mentioned it in the first place), but it's not because of the invisible walkways; I mean, to get to the boss, you only have to cross two completely straight invisible paths.

I know, I just had to get out my frustration :> Got invaded and vengeanced there. Who wants to invade there? The invader just stood there down the crystal cave, while I refused to move because I was not about to just run down there to fight some guy. So he started shooting me with a bow and arrows for some minutes while I dodged nearly every shot, and each shot did 30 damage. Then I ran away, fog ring, no aura and went to the toilet. Came back, started fighting, and he returned to his world.

The vengeance guy used the slow AoE, so I just killed him. Such a stupid tactic

Zimbardo

Phat Michael said:

ya just watch for the snow flakes to hit the ground to show safe places to walk. plus there's usually a lot of signs on the ground that help a bit, too.

you'll catch on fairly quick.

K' Dash

Phat Michael said:
dragons head soul glitch. 1 million + souls every 3 mins or so if you use the right souls.

Really, glitching?

won't that ruin the game for him?

Same for the people who farms at dark root, what's the point of playing if you're gonna 1 hit everything?

BeeDog

elty said:
I forgot to pick up the antique dress after summoning the duke, Would it still be there?

As soon as you summon her once, her body should be back where you killed the gold crystal golem. Try checking there.

K' Dash said:
Really, glitching?

Same for the people who farms at dark root, what's the point of playing if you're gonna 1 hit everything?
not really. hasnt ruined the game for me. its allowed me to wear the armour i want and not have to spend boring hours grinding to get my levels up. i dont invade people so i dont see the problem.

TBH - i cant stand losing my souls to invading players every time i go human to kindle a bonfire and upgrade it. glitching didnt ruin the game for me, some poor level design and cheap game design almost managed to. I think its worse when people use the fog ring and the stupid bandit knife to kill u in two hits rather than just affecting my own game.

Also, just took out seath the scaleless using mainly the crystal ring shield. guess its back to the demon ruins next?

Zimbardo

K' Dash said:
Really, glitching?

i would never be interested in using a soul glitch, but i see nothing wrong with farming souls at all. its been part of the game since Demon's Souls and i'm sure the developers expect you to do it.

nothing wrong with farming Darkroot, imo. i go in there and kill them all individually and rack up the souls pretty quick.

K' Dash said:
Really, glitching?

After beating the game and beating NG+, I was curious to see how powerful you can become at max level.

Looking to start my new game + / platinum hunting playthrough and have a serious question:

Is there a 100% Event Guide or close to it yet?

All that stuff about the onion knight and logan, i missed and would like to see.

K' Dash

Zimbardo said:
i would never be interested in using a soul glitch, but i see nothing wrong with farming souls at all. its been part of the game since Demon's Souls and i'm sure the developers expect you to do it.

nothing wrong with farming Darkroot, imo. i go in there and kill them all individually and rack up the souls pretty quick.

I don't have anything against farming, as long as you do it without the NPC suicide glitch or the dragonhead.

I haven't farmed at all and I'm only melee, SL66 and I have wasted souls on the most stupid ways imaginable, also it's my first Souls game, so I have died A LOT.

No excuse for glitching.

BeeDog said:

I remember when having a secret invisible path to a boss would be considered a cool & unique game design that added to the overall game.

In fact, a lot for the complaints about the later half of the game seem unjustified.
Not reusing the same concept over & over throughout a game is a bad thing now?

I like variety & different play styles that keeps the game from getting stale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom