• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

falconzss

Aguirre said:
tips for havel the motherfucking rock

seriously, i want to end him so bad

Circled around and backstabbed him. You just need to be fast so equip some light armour for faster rolling. Takes patience.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
lawblob said:
This library level is the worst. After the 3rd(?) bonfire, where the Hell do I go.
I'm assuming you mean the bonfire on the balcony? If so, facing into the library from the bonfire, go right. In the room with lots of chests there should be a switch that opens up a staircase to a lower level, which will let you leave the building.

matmanx1

Tomb of the Giants is stomping my face in right now. Literally. Those Giant skeletons with their heel kick that seems to bypass my shield while fighting on a narrow walkway is the current bane of my existence. And don't even get me started on the room with 5 or 6 of them in close proximity.

Any tips for those freaks? I'm thinking of employing the crystal ring shield on my next foray to see if they will die faster as trying to tank them is just straight up not working.

tass0

Banned
Anor Londo really shouldn't have been in the game.

25 hours of playing Dark Souls = :D

Arrive at Anor Londo = :|

Feels quite rushed, hopefully the game gets better after this.

Barrett2

ProudClod said:
I'm assuming you mean the bonfire on the balcony? If so, facing into the library from the bonfire, go right. In the room with lots of chests there should be a switch that opens up a staircase to a lower level, which will let you leave the building.

Thanks. Weird that I missed it. So is there no boss there? I got to that one boss, died, then was dumped in the lower levels.

Man, for some reason, i hated that area. Sucked.

If anything, it gets worse.

As beautiful as Anor Londo was upon first impression - ultimately I felt let down by the level. Most of the game feels 'rushed' after this point and that the same level attention to detail / level layout / monster placement / progression was not given to the later half as was given to the first half.

Still a good game, but the first half of the game is so damn good, that being 'average' in the last half feels like a letdown.

klee123

Aguirre said:

1. Get rid of any armor you have. You need to be able to dodge his attacks well.

2. A good weapon like the drake's sword works well.

3. Simply dodge his attack, then land in 1-2 hits when he's recovering repeat.

Gives a really good ring too.

DigitalDevil said:
There have been varying reports. Some people, including myself, didn't have any noticeable framerate drops in blighttown. The vast majority did have problems there, however.

In my experience, the worst drops in Blighttown occur when you enter through Valley of the Drakes. That was my first experience with it, so my perception was colored by that. If I had entered through the Depths first I may have had a slightly better experience with it. I think this is partly why there are different reports.

Aguirre said:

Pull him out the doorway you came in and as he returns to his spot, shoot him with a crossbow or backstab him. Repeat. He wont follow you all the way out but be careful. I guess this is "cheap" but it's one way to do it.

Farmed some humanity from the baby skeletons in TotG. Got about 30 in half an hour along with 120k souls :D

Crossed all pyro spells off my checklist, need one more sorcery have almost none of the miracles. After that it's make something with all the boss souls them it's on to the boss and NG+

K' Dash

tass0 said:
Anor Londo really shouldn't have been in the game.

25 hours of playing Dark Souls = :D

Arrive at Anor Londo = :|

Feels quite rushed, hopefully the game gets better after this.

I think we reached a concensus that after Anor Londo the game goes to the shit, I spent a lot of time there not wanting to move forward cause I know what lays ahead.

I just killed the four kings and everywhere I have to go is shit:

-Drake Archives -> shit
-Crystal Caves -> shit
-Lost Izalith -> shit
-Tomb of the Giants -> SHIT

been invaded 3x in the dukes archive. great place to fight i guess. defeated all three of them too, first time ive ever won an invasion. feels good, but id rather it just didnt happen.

and after typing this i got invaded again and lost. damnit.

K' Dash said:
I think we reached a concensus that after Anor Londo the game goes to the shit, I spent a lot of time there not wanting to move forward cause I know what lays ahead.

-Drake Archives -> shit
-Crystal Caves -> shit
-Lost Izalith -> shit

The only one of those location that's shit is Lost Izalith because running at 10fps whilst fighting enemies so large that it's impossible to target them who can also kill you in one of two hits is tedious bullshit. Also I don't think there's a save in the castle there, is there?

Aguirre said:

I beat him as a Wanderer at soul level 24 or so. I had enough endurance to block one of his hits in case I got sloppy. Shield up, circle, circle, circle. I didn't actually backstab him much; a few hits (not that many) with the Drake Sword were enough.

For the first few tries I took off my armor to make myself faster, but I kept getting impatient, so I thought screw it, I'll just take his hits.

rogerroger22 said:
If anything, it gets worse.

As beautiful as Anor Londo was upon first impression - ultimately I felt let down by the level. Most of the game feels 'rushed' after this point and that the same level attention to detail / level layout / monster placement / progression was not given to the later half as was given to the first half.

Still a good game, but the first half of the game is so damn good, that being 'average' in the last half feels like a letdown.

Anor Londo is kind of wonky, but it isn't awful. The enemy variety is perfectly fine, the art style is great as is the theme and feel of the zone. It is filled with great moments like the Catwalk in the Painting room, Siegmeyer and the Archers where they clearly thought about utilizing enemy placement and environments.

The primary issue with the zone is the actual layout of the level compared to earlier zones. The early segment, while a bit too big for the amount of content, is well made. However, once you're past the archers and inside the castle, I have problems with it. The exploration feels extremely tacked on. The previous zones like Undeadburg, Depths, Blighttown, and Sen's Fortress were so well layed out, had such great, complex, multilayered level design. Anor Londo's interior, which is where the zone starts to drop in quality, is basically a four story building with a bunch of rooms built along side a hallway. There isn't any of that great exploration found in other, more well made areas and that hurts the zone. It isn't anywhere as bad as Lost Izalith and the Tomb of the Giants, it's just disappointing compared to the earlier section of the game.

toasty_T said:
I liked Duke's Archive.

I did as well. However, I wish Crystal Caverns was a full fledged zone rather than an area to house a boss with a really lame gimmick. That zone is so incredibly beautiful that I would have loved another full length level exploring this crystalline cavern structured similarly to the catacombs, so I find it really disappointing.

Xanathus

Doomshine said:
...and unlike Demon's Souls there isn't any obvious they could do it. The archstones could've let them do DLC, but they didn't do it.
Well, they could add a tunnel in the side of a wall in the Valley of Drakes which leads to a new area, but a bigger reason why they can't do it is that any new items will have to be worse than existing items or they'll give DLC buyers an unfair advantage in PVP.

Kweh

I read that there is a lady that spawns in Blighttown after you have killed Queelag that sells Pyromancy spells. Where abouts is she?

Kweh said:
I read that there is a lady that spawns in Blighttown after you have killed Queelag that sells Pyromancy spells. Where abouts is she?

Level up the Chaos Servants covenant. I think you also need a +10 pyromancy flame.

She is just outside Quelaag's domain, resting against a pillar in the swamp.

tokkun

K' Dash said:

-Drake Archives -> shit
-Crystal Caves -> shit
-Lost Izalith -> shit

I thought Tomb of Giants was pretty good. What's the complaint?

You can also skip virtually all of Lost Izalith if you get the Chaos covenant to rank 2.

Dudes i'm in Anor Londo and how on earth do i get past the knight archers?

I've managed to run to the first block but when i run to the top i either get shot off the ledge or the knight on the right of the ledge straight sends me to hell

Carcetti

Run to the uppermost ledge, roll once or twice right to avoid last arrows and get int he face of knight. Block until he falls off, and done.

catashtrophe said:
Dudes i'm in Anor Londo and how on earth do i get past the knight archers?

I've managed to run to the first block but when i run to the top i either get shot off the ledge or the knight on the right of the ledge straight sends me to hell
Rush the knight on the right. Ignore the knight on the left. Get close enough that you aggro the silver knight to melee you. Now run back and it runs off and dies.

Carcetti said:
Run to the uppermost ledge, roll once or twice right to avoid last arrows and get int he face of knight. Block until he falls off, and done.

Using the hollow shield +3 and he usually knocks me off when i get in his face

:p

Okay, strategy guide says if I have queelana's pyromancy flame and talk to laurentius he will inquire about it and if I tell him he will leave. I don't have that spell and haven't even met queelana but I DO have great chaos fireball from the daughter of chaos. Laurentius asked me about something, I told him, is he going to leave now? I have bought everything from him except fire orb, so if he does leave am I missing a great spell?

picked up an Enchanted Falchion in the Dukes Archives - is this a good weapon worth upgrading up to +5 or should i stick with my Queelaags furysword? I also have my lightning estoc +3 which ive chosen to upgrade over the lightning spear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom