• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
maomaoIYP said:
Help farm Sif. 15K a pop. Honestly though, you don't really need to upgrade so much stuff. Stick with one weapon, one set of armor and your spells. Also, once you're done with Sen's, you can actually farm enemies for a few of Shiva's weapons.

What's the requisite to get summoned again? being with 10 levels & being in human form right?
There were a ton of summons signs before the Quelaag boss fight & I tried summon them over 11 times over a half hour time spam & all of them ended up with the message "summoning failed"!

My NAT is open & all that.

bj00rn_

Banned
Had a huge problem taking down the Iron Golem. After a numerous futile attempts I decided to remove all my clothing (!) and use the Dark Wood Grain Ring for better rolling..Took him down on my first try after.. Heh.. :) I love this game - For the most part.

Anyway, I have to say, again, that this is one of the best looking games I've seen. Some of the vistas and architecture are fantastic, not the least the level design connecting everything together.

Zzoram

See You Next Wednesday said:
What's the requisite to get summoned again? being with 10 levels & being in human form right?
There were a ton of summons signs before the Quelaag boss fight & I tried summon them over 11 times over a half hour time spam & all of them ended up with the message "summoning failed"!

Be within 10% of level, put down white soap stone sign, you can be summoned. You can be hollow or human if you want to help others.

You have to be human to summon others, invade, or be invaded.

I remember when having a secret invisible path to a boss would be considered a cool & unique game design that added to the overall game.

In fact, a lot for the complaints about the later half of the game seem unjustified.
Not reusing the same concept over & over throughout a game is a bad thing now?

I like variety & different play styles that keeps the game from getting stale.

There is a difference between doing something different and unique well like Blackroot Forest, and something different and awful like Lost Izalith.

bj00rn_ said:
Had a huge problem taking down the Iron Golem. After a numerous futile attempts I decided to remove all my clothing (!) and use the Dark Wood Grain Ring for better rolling..Took him down on my first try after.. Heh.. :) I love this game - For the most part.

Anyway, I have to say, again, that this is one of the best looking games I've seen. Some of the vistas and architecture are fantastic, not the least the level design connecting everything together.

Yeah, besides the spotty framerate in some areas, graphics are cutting edge.
Love all the lighting & reflective mapping on armor that most other similar games don't bother to use.

MoxManiac

Mortrialus said:
There is a difference between doing something different and unique well like Blackroot Forest, and something different and awful like Lost Izalith.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that Lost Izalith didn't suck. But it's really the only location I thought was bad. I liked Duke's Archives/Crystal Caves, Catacombs/Tomb, and loved New Londo (awesome spooky atmosphere and design)

scy

K' Dash said:
I don't have anything against farming, as long as you do it without the NPC suicide glitch or the dragonhead.

I haven't farmed at all and I'm only melee, SL66 and I have wasted souls on the most stupid ways imaginable, also it's my first Souls game, so I have died A LOT.

No excuse for glitching.

I glitched the ever loving shit out of my two most recent characters. But I'm just tired of grinding for souls to buy spells, upgrading the Flame, and getting to SL90-ish. It just adds 15-ish hours to my playtime that isn't really fun. I'd rather just spend that time farming Chunks and Slabs PvPing instead of soul grinding on tiny skeletons.

I've done the entire story enough times as is so there's really no challenge in like 95% of the run anymore. Still, I wouldn't really suggest glitching for souls for anyone; just a personal choice now that I'm on my 8th or so character.

What's the second best place to grind besides the Forest?

Tomb of the Giants, tiny skeletons outside of
Nito's room
. With the +Souls ring (found in the Tomb), it's something around 200k souls in an hour and 30+ Humanity easily.

MoxManiac said:
I don't think anyone is going to argue that Lost Izalith didn't suck. But it's really the only location I thought was bad. I liked Duke's Archives/Crystal Caves, Catacombs/Tomb, and loved New Londo (awesome spooky atmosphere and design)

The catacombs is great, New Londo is great, Duke's Archives is great. Tomb and Crystal Caves suck.

When you summon stay at the the spot where the sign was on the ground and don't move for about 10-15 secs, if you run off the summon will fail.

Gattsu25

Banned
I think I missed my chance to get the Black Knight Greataxe in the Catacombs. Are there any other opportunities to nab one in this 1st playthrough?

Septimius

K' Dash said:
I don't have anything against farming, as long as you do it without the NPC suicide glitch or the dragonhead.

I haven't farmed at all and I'm only melee, SL66 and I have wasted souls on the most stupid ways imaginable, also it's my first Souls game, so I have died A LOT.

No excuse for glitching.

Eh, I dunno. I will never get a max level char, but I can this way. There's definitely interesting PvP going on at max levels - In DeS I could only stick to the SL120 leagues, but if I could've been bothered, I would've joined the max level guys. Now I can.

Gattsu25 said:
I think I missed my chance to get the Black Knight Greataxe in the Catacombs. Are there any other opportunities to nab one in this 1st playthrough?

The last zone of the game has respawning Black Knights you can farm.

Septimius

go_la_clips said:
When you summon stay at the the spot where the sign was on the ground and don't move for about 10-15 secs, if you run off the summon will fail.

This is a classic example of the superstitions that arise in situations like this. It's quite interesting, actually. Yes, if you run into another zone, you'll get the "summon sign removed" message, but moving won't affect it at all. My superstition is actually that if I don't stand on the sign, my chances are higher. Neither of these are true.

to GET summoned, or to summon? To summon, you have to be human, and it's +/- 10% of your level. I'd have to say you just had some bad luck.

Ra1den

MoxManiac said:

I'll wholeheartedly disagree with that. I see no problems with Lost Izalith. I think the only place that sucked hardcore was Blighttown due to framerate issues. Other than that, I thought the Catacombs and Tomb and New Londo Ruins were pretty damn annoying...Lost Izalith was far better than those.

Maybe I need to form the Lost Izalith defense force, but I have a feeling I'd be all alone.

Septimius

DigitalDevil said:
Can you summon help for stray demon? I've really hit a roadblock with him. Even with iron flesh most I've done is 50% of his health.

You need to stay behind him, and just figure out his pattern. There really is little else to say, sorry :/

Septimius said:
This is a classic example of the superstitions that arise in situations like this. It's quite interesting, actually. Yes, if you run into another zone, you'll get the "summon sign removed" message, but moving won't affect it at all. My superstition is actually that if I don't stand on the sign, my chances are higher. Neither of these are true.

to GET summoned, or to summon? To summon, you have to be human, and it's +/- 10% of your level. I'd have to say you just had some bad luck.

Well I was moving around, but just for a few feet & all my summons failed to connect.

Also someone else said I can be hollow to get summoned & I remember other people in the thread saying this as well. Even though when I tried laying down a stone I couldn't while hollow.

Septimius

Well I was moving around, but just for a few feet & all my summons failed to connect.

Also someone else said I can be hollow to get summoned & I remember other people in the thread saying this as well. Even though when I tried laying down a stone I couldn't while hollow.

Just bad luck, really. And yeah, you can lay down your sign while hollow. I dunno why you couldn't, but you most definitely can :) I always move away from my sign, right away, and I've never or very rarely had a failed summon

lupin23rd said:
What are the requirements to ascending the pyro any flame, and who can do it? This takes it beyond +15?

Having met the trainer in Blighttown. She's the one that does it. Second tab on the Modify Equipment option

purg3

slept with Malkin
lupin23rd said:
What are the requirements to ascending the pyro any flame, and who can do it? This takes it beyond +15?

The guy you rescue from the jar in the depths can ascend it for you, cost of souls increase each time.

Quelana(sp?) takes it beyond +15, she's in the Blighttown swamp sitting by a pillar close to the entrance of Quelaag's lair.

Quikies83

On the Ornstein and executioner fight.. Is there a certain boss I should take out first? I understand that once one is down the other goes back to full health so trying to fight both at once is silly.

You have to be in the right area (the white soapstone will change from greyed out to selectable). I get summoned all the time in Annor Londo while hollowed and usually l farm the Silver Knights while I'm waiting (the sign doesn't dissapear as long as I don't leave the boss building).

Quikies83 said:
On the Ornstein and executioner fight.. Is there a certain boss I should take out first? I understand that once one is down the other goes back to full health so trying to fight both at once is silly.
Which one do you think has the coolest weapon and armor? Kill that one last and you'll be able to get his stuff.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Quikies83 said:

Did it on my second try by taking out Ornstein first. Sucks not getting his armor, but I didn't think it was too bad with taking him out first.

cj_iwakura

zerokoolpsx said:
So if kill
gywndolin. Will Gywnevere still survive? I would like it to be sunny in Anor Londo. Visibility sucks when its so dark.

Yes, they'll survive.

Also, fun trick for you Anor Londo restarters:

from the base of the great stair, you can snipe the gargoyles from behind.

One will fall, the other will come down to you.

Spy

zerokoolpsx said:
So if kill
gywndolin. Will Gywnevere still survive? I would like it to be sunny in Anor Londo. Visibility sucks when its so dark.
Yes, she'll still be there even if you kill Gwyndolin.

DigitalDevil said:
Can you summon help for stray demon? I've really hit a roadblock with him. Even with iron flesh most I've done is 50% of his health.

Yeah just try to stay behind him. There is really only 2 attacks he will do when you're circling him. He'll slowly bring his club up and then smash and cause the area of effect blowback so move back when you see that. The other is the fly up and butt smash attack.

one85x

DigitalDevil said:
If you're fighting him relatively early (before Anor Londo), then a weapon with the bleed effect will really help out a lot.

sephi22

Alright, need to kill Sif for the third time (not too worried about that), and need to access Anor Londo blacksmith for making the Artorias Shield, for which I need to clear Sewers, Blight, and Sen's (which I am worried about).

Septimius said:
Ah, so you make Anor Londo
dark by killing Gwynevere?

Is there something that gives people an incentive to do this?
Removes all the Giants and the Lightning demon enemies, making the walk to the Blacksmith much easier.

FINALBOSS

Banned
scy said:
I glitched the ever loving shit out of my two most recent characters. But I'm just tired of grinding for souls to buy spells, upgrading the Flame, and getting to SL90-ish. It just adds 15-ish hours to my playtime that isn't really fun. I'd rather just spend that time farming Chunks and Slabs PvPing instead of soul grinding on tiny skeletons.

I've done the entire story enough times as is so there's really no challenge in like 95% of the run anymore. Still, I wouldn't really suggest glitching for souls for anyone; just a personal choice now that I'm on my 8th or so character.

Tomb of the Giants, tiny skeletons outside of
Nito's room
. With the +Souls ring (found in the Tomb), it's something around 200k souls in an hour and 30+ Humanity easily.

So did I. I fail to see the problem with glitching the souls. It's not hurting anyone it's fun to experiment with different builds with it.

doesnt everyone wish you could warp between ALL bonfires? it would make everything so much more enjoyable.

i need to farm some blue titanite chunks and so far the darkroot basin isnt giving anything.....and the thought of going back to the entrance to the crystal caves is awful. i also wish when reverting weapons you get your lost upgrade chunks/stones back. ive upgraded so many things early on that i just didnt need and now it all seems so worthless.

I think im just going to finish demon ruins / lost izalith and then be done with this game. no NG+ for me as the thought of going through the last half of the game is just sad.

zerokoolpsx said:
So if kill

The area is even more beautiful in the moonlight.

prodystopian said:
Can I get the very large ember before getting the
lordvessel
?

Yep. You don't need the Lordvessle for New Londo.

sephi22

Septimius said:
What gives people the clue that this is the case? Do they just try it?
Maybe they read it up on the net. Making it dark allows the Darkmoon members to raid your world, and I guess some people like that.
I made it dark today in NG++ just to see what happens, and the walk from the Sunlight Princess bonfire to the giant blacksmith is really, really nice now.

sephi22

Hawkian said:
How do you find him without hurting her?
You need the Darkmoon Seance Ring. It can be picked up in the Catacombs IIRC. Wear it and enter the darkmoon location, and you can join the covenant/fight the boss.

cj_iwakura said:
And Anor Londo looks CREEPIER in the nighttime. I say leave it sunny.
I agree. It looks desolate and I like it sunny.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ra1den said:
I'll wholeheartedly disagree with that. I see no problems with Lost Izalith. I think the only place that sucked hardcore was Blighttown due to framerate issues. Other than that, I thought the Catacombs and Tomb and New Londo Ruins were pretty damn annoying...Lost Izalith was far better than those.

Maybe I need to form the Lost Izalith defense force, but I have a feeling I'd be all alone.
Lost Izalith didn't strike me as having bad design or anything like that. It was a good area in that it was intended to just be completely overwhelming and extreme start to finish and barely let you stop moving. I never want to return to it, but I enjoyed the time I spent there.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
MoxManiac said:
I don't think anyone is going to argue that Lost Izalith didn't suck.

I'll argue it. Absolutely nothing wrong with the zone. Bed Of Chaos is a bit aggravating as an event/boss because its difficulty is inconsistent, but that's the only complaint I have.

Izalith is a small zone, but for what it is, its fine.

Trying to clear the bounding demons in the lava-field without using a ranged weapon to goad them into killing each other makes as much sense as trying to cross New Londo Ruins without (transient) curse, or get through Tomb Of The Giants without some method of illuminating the area.

Its stupid and if you choose to do it that way you deserve all the deaths that are coming tp you.

The game gives you ranged weapons for a reason. They aren't just for "cheesing" bosses they are really useful tools tactically. Example: Arrows are better and cheaper than prism stones for marking out the invisible paths in Crytal Cave also.

Clear said:
I'll argue it. Absolutely nothing wrong with the zone. Bed Of Chaos is a bit aggravating as an event/boss because its difficulty is inconsistent, but that's the only complaint I have.

Trying to clear the bounding demons in the lava-field without using a ranged weapon to goad them into killing each other makes as much sense as trying to cross New Londo Ruins without (transient) curse, or get through Tomb Of The Giants without some method of illuminating the area.

Its stupid and if you choose to do it that way you deserve all the deaths that are coming tp you.

The game gives you ranged weapons for a reason. They aren't just for "cheesing" bosses they are really useful tools tactically. Example: Arrows are better and cheaper than prism stones for marking out the invisible paths in Crytal Cave also.

Even using a bow to pull, clearing the Bounding Demons is just obnoxious. There are over 30 of them, randomly dropped through out the zone. There is nothing resembling the well thought placement of enemies seen earlier in the game in this zone. It's simply 30 bounding demons spread randomly throughout the area, followed by thirty demon statues scattered randomly throughout the other half. It feels incredibly lazy, sloppy, and haphazard. It's just a huge, effortless time sink of a zone.

I have a residual hatred of New Londo Ruins from when I got cursed very early in my first playthrough and I was determined to get to the NPC that cures curses there. Spent hours and hours taking the lift from firelink to there only to inevitably get killed in one hit by a ghost at some point. I made it to him eventually but goddamn. Classic case of making things harder for myself than I needed to. If only I'd known at the time that you could just buy cures for the curse :/ Anyway once you've drained the water out the area gets more interesting.

Lost Izalith really pissed me off until I realised the dinos didn't respawn, then it was just tedious picking them all off. Once I got past the lava it was ok. The shitty puzzle boss fight was a letdown though. At least it didn't make you re-do each part.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Clear said:

You don't even need ranged weapons. Just walk up close enough to draw one at a time.

Yea though, for as much trouble as that area gave me the first time through it, I enjoyed the challenge, and the 2nd time through will be much easier.

My least favorite area is probably Demon Ruins followed by Valley of Drakes, both for offering no exploration and redundant enemies, besides that each area in the game offers its own unique challenge which I appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom